Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: OT: Greta Van Fleet
Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: April 11, 2023 14:31

The singer oversings: he puts way too much into every bloody song, it seems. I own three LPs and won't be buying this. The rest of the band is really good, however.

Exceptions to this are Highway Tune and A Change is Gonna Come.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2023 17:15

dcba
shadooby
You can't count these guys out, they are the real deal.

Wolfmother had the same postioning - ripping off the golden 60’s - and now they’re more or less gone.

Imo it’s guys like GVF or Wolfmother who put rock n roll in danger of extinction : if you have nothing new to offer - just a bad rehash of songs you grew up with- why dont you just play in your garage covering the 60’s tracks you like?

I think there's some truth to that but also far too much minimizing as well. In the end, there are a LOT of people that just follow the trends and depending on the time depended on how well you did. There were people in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s who were NOT that great, just riding a wave, and they did pretty well for themselves. And still have an audience today just due to nostalgia even though their stuff wasn't terribly inventive. I'm a big Mott The Hoople fan but what did they really do? They existed in a time when that music was fashionable and they had some good key friends that helped them along the way.

So my issue with the statement is that its not really their fault they were around in the last 20 years when the medium really just tanked, the world which had a couple different avenues now has a million with YouTube, Instagram, Tik Tok etc. Was the same with TV and the same with movies. Stuff makes less of an impact these days and there's so many different avenues and attention spans that its hard for most things to connect. Yes, bands like Jet, Wolfmother, etc only really had one good album, but a lot of their failure was the times as much as their possible "flash in the pan" quality.

The bigger rock bands of the last 20 years are who? The Killers, Foo Fighters, Kings Of Leon, are Imagine Dragons considered a rock band? I'm a fan of some of those bands but none of them have anything that'll last beyond a few songs. None of them are a Stones or Beatles, or even a Pearl Jam or Nirvana I'd argue. They're big for maybe the wrong or no reason. So I really do think the times today have a LOT to do with lasting impact of a lot of these artists.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of Greta even though it sounds like I am and does seem like they've floundered. Do I think its slightly unfair and they were up against insurmountable odds? Slightly, but I guess who isn't. I think a lot of people wanted them to fail from the start when its not entirely their fault they are derivative or happen to sound like Led Zeppelin so while they had some success, it was hard for them from the start. The only wish I've had for bands in the last 20 years is some consistency. Seems like anyone good only has one, MAYBE two albums in them and then they are gone. I guess I'm glad they try and those albums exist than they just rest on their laurels and do covers. In the end, who knows who would make it out of the garage if they don't try.

Also, to answer the last point above me, Robert Plant oversings a bunch of times. Axl Rose, Freddie Mercury, several others where its self indulgent vocal acrobatics even though they are great. Who is really to say when it works or doesn't if you can't separate not liking the band already? I feel that criticism of Greta is because there's already a predisposition to not enjoying them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-11 17:16 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 11, 2023 17:34

RollingFreak
dcba
shadooby

Wolfmother had the same postioning - ripping off the golden 60’s - and now they’re more or less gone.

Imo it’s guys like GVF or Wolfmother who put rock n roll in danger of extinction : if you have nothing new to offer - just a bad rehash of songs you grew up with- why dont you just play in your garage covering the 60’s tracks you like?

I think there's some truth to that but also far too much minimizing as well. In the end, there are a LOT of people that just follow the trends and depending on the time depended on how well you did. There were people in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s who were NOT that great, just riding a wave, and they did pretty well for themselves. And still have an audience today just due to nostalgia even though their stuff wasn't terribly inventive. I'm a big Mott The Hoople fan but what did they really do? They existed in a time when that music was fashionable and they had some good key friends that helped them along the way.

So my issue with the statement is that its not really their fault they were around in the last 20 years when the medium really just tanked, the world which had a couple different avenues now has a million with YouTube, Instagram, Tik Tok etc. Was the same with TV and the same with movies. Stuff makes less of an impact these days and there's so many different avenues and attention spans that its hard for most things to connect. Yes, bands like Jet, Wolfmother, etc only really had one good album, but a lot of their failure was the times as much as their possible "flash in the pan" quality.

The bigger rock bands of the last 20 years are who? The Killers, Foo Fighters, Kings Of Leon, are Imagine Dragons considered a rock band? I'm a fan of some of those bands but none of them have anything that'll last beyond a few songs. None of them are a Stones or Beatles, or even a Pearl Jam or Nirvana I'd argue. They're big for maybe the wrong or no reason. So I really do think the times today have a LOT to do with lasting impact of a lot of these artists.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of Greta even though it sounds like I am and does seem like they've floundered. Do I think its slightly unfair and they were up against insurmountable odds? Slightly, but I guess who isn't. I think a lot of people wanted them to fail from the start when its not entirely their fault they are derivative or happen to sound like Led Zeppelin so while they had some success, it was hard for them from the start. The only wish I've had for bands in the last 20 years is some consistency. Seems like anyone good only has one, MAYBE two albums in them and then they are gone. I guess I'm glad they try and those albums exist than they just rest on their laurels and do covers. In the end, who knows who would make it out of the garage if they don't try.

Also, to answer the last point above me, Robert Plant oversings a bunch of times. Axl Rose, Freddie Mercury, several others where its self indulgent vocal acrobatics even though they are great. Who is really to say when it works or doesn't if you can't separate not liking the band already? I feel that criticism of Greta is because there's already a predisposition to not enjoying them.

Depends on taste, obviously, but Mastodon (prog-sludge/metal) has churned out album after fantastic album, evolving after each. They started in 2000. And all 4 members sing (3 share the lead singer position).

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 11, 2023 18:42

Big Al
shadooby

Well, I do think the musicianship is first-rate. That’s undeniable, at least.

thumbs up

They surely can rock.

But too much esoterism. A little of would be sufficient. No needs for Dune or Stargate operas. But maybe they count on it to build a fan base.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-11 19:41 by The Joker.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2023 22:35

The Joker
Big Al
shadooby

Well, I do think the musicianship is first-rate. That’s undeniable, at least.

thumbs up

They surely can rock.

But too much esoterism. A little of would be sufficient. No needs for Dune or Stargate operas. But maybe they count on it to build a fan base.

I think they are 'buying' their own hype. It's all a bit cringey now.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 12, 2023 23:35

I wish he would sing in lower register occasionally

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 13, 2023 04:56

He sounds like a combination of Geddy Lee, Robert Plant, Woody Woodpecker, Ann Wilson, Porky Pig, and Jon Anderson...after inhaling a bunch of helium.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 13, 2023 17:18

Hairball
He sounds like a combination of Geddy Lee, Robert Plant, Woody Woodpecker, Ann Wilson, Porky Pig, and Jon Anderson...after inhaling a bunch of helium.

You've thought about this one! Nailed it!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 13, 2023 19:37

schillid
I wish he would sing in lower register occasionally

When puberty hits he will.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: April 13, 2023 20:39

It‘s only a clone band of LZ

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 13, 2023 20:58

NashvilleBlues
Hairball

You've thought about this one! Nailed it!

I forgot to add Edith Bunker.

smiling smiley

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 14, 2023 04:19

Spot on. Total shit. I did not get the buzz when they broke a few years ago, or now.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home