Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: OT: Greta Van Fleet
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 23, 2018 16:25

What surprises me is how blatant some of their imitations of Zeppelin are, like this riff:

Lover, leaver at 1:47: [youtu.be]

Led Zeppelin, Nobody's fault but mine at 1:10: [youtu.be]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 23, 2018 18:22

DandelionPowderman
The first Wolfmother album was great. More Sabbath than Zep-sounding, though.

Absolutely agree! Then the bass player/keyboardist and drummer left and they lost that “sound” that made them great.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 5, 2018 16:02

A new one, and a disappointment. It`s awful, and reminds me of Uriah Heep at their worst ("-today is only yesterday`s tomorrow, bla, bla, bla"):

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 5, 2018 16:06

noughties
A new one, and a disappointment. It`s awful, and reminds me of Uriah Heep at their worst ("-today is only yesterday`s tomorrow, bla, bla, bla"):

[www.youtube.com]
Put it on my "Watch Later" list on YouTube this morning. Just listened to it.

Just more aping Zeppelin's sound, this time their acoustic sound.

Date: October 19, 2018 02:43

It`s awful `cause it doesn`t resemble Zeppelin`s sound.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 20, 2019 15:22

watched GVF on SNL last night. i wasn't impressed. it's kind of like rock school. maybe they'll get better as they mature but to me it all seemed very cliched.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 20, 2019 20:05

crholmstrom
watched GVF on SNL last night. i wasn't impressed. it's kind of like rock school. maybe they'll get better as they mature but to me it all seemed very cliched.

Yes it was near dreadful - cliched is the word, and not only musically, but their stage antics.
The guitar player has probably spent more time learning to mimic Jimmy Page's stage moves than he has on playing Zeppelin riffs - it's almost a mockery....

On the SNL newscast, they even joked about them:

“Sunday night will bring a Super Blood Wolf Moon, which is a rare lunar eclipse, and not, as I had assumed,
the name of the band that just performed on our show!”

They should change their name to Super Blood Wolf Moon!

Greta Van Fleet gets swallowed by the stage and trolled by Colin Jost on Saturday Night Live: Watch
The Michigan rockers perform lifeless versions of "Black Smoke Rising" and "You're the One"
Review and clips

I was hoping it would be better, but alas it wasn't worth staying up for...

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: January 20, 2019 20:15

These kids need to start drinking and drugging and then do a stint in rehab to feel their oats!
LOL~!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 20, 2019 20:16

I'll watch later. I assume it'll end up being fine. They've gotten enough not great press and clearly it doesn't really matter. People are still talking about them. I could easily see bad press from this just being shrugged off by younger people as "eh, its an old audience anyway, they don't get it." My dad thought "they were good but it was weird watching them. I don't know what to make of the lead singer." There's just something super disingenuous about the whole thing which is what I've always thought.

Date: January 20, 2019 20:34

You know, the singer sounds a lot more like very early Geddy Lee than Robert Plant.

And I love Rush, but it doesn't really work here.

Date: January 20, 2019 20:37

RollingFreak
I'll watch later. I assume it'll end up being fine. They've gotten enough not great press and clearly it doesn't really matter. People are still talking about them. I could easily see bad press from this just being shrugged off by younger people as "eh, its an old audience anyway, they don't get it." My dad thought "they were good but it was weird watching them. I don't know what to make of the lead singer." There's just something super disingenuous about the whole thing which is what I've always thought.

Led Zeppelin got slagged by the music press when they came out. I would not put GVF in the same league though comparing debut albums.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 20, 2019 20:42

RollingFreak
I could easily see bad press from this just being shrugged off by younger people as "eh, its an old audience anyway, they don't get it."

But that's the problem really - the old audience does get it.
It's not like they're playing some new cutting edge groundbreaking experimental music for the youth of today - they're basically replicating things that happened decades ago - the sound, the clothes, etc.
It's almost as if a group of teenagers decided to dress up like a '70's classic rock band for Halloween and enter a talent contest - and they do a pretty good job at just that. They're more of a retro-rehash-been there done that situation, or as crholmstrom said " it's kind of like rock school...very cliched". But I'm done slagging them off and hope they evolve somehow...was actually hoping to be impressed last night, but it was not to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-20 20:45 by Hairball.

Date: January 20, 2019 20:46

Keep close to Led Zep, or I`m not interested. The singer should watch his voice. Keep to the straight and narrow!

Date: January 20, 2019 20:48

Hairball
RollingFreak
I could easily see bad press from this just being shrugged off by younger people as "eh, its an old audience anyway, they don't get it."

But that's the problem really - the old audience does get it.

Oh I'm aware. And I think you're 100% correct. But obviously back then, I imagine a kid would think the same thing about people not understanding the Stones or the Beatles or Zeppelin. "You're old, you don't get it." Obviously this is different because its literally just repackaging that sound so its not actually "new" and inventive the way the Stones, Beatles or Zep were. But it just seems like bad press would hurt them at this point. And clearly it doesn't because they're still the only "rock band" a lot of people are talking about these days. I still think they'll tank, I'm just wondering what'll do it. Or if they can literally just get by on this because there's so few mainstream rock bands out there.

Date: January 20, 2019 20:52

A.V. Clubber Emily L. Stephens: “like if a bunch of cartoon characters formed a Rush cover band.”

he shore doo hav a purdy mouth tho (gratuitous Deliverance reference) >grinning smiley<

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 29, 2019 07:58

lem motlow
Did you ever notice all these little suckjob Zep rip-off bands have the worst names,Kingdom Come,Wolfmother,Greta van fleet.

Lets put a stake in the heart of this online ad campaign ala Dane Cook of trying to hype these losers into a career and let this derivative cesspool die it’s inevitable death already ok ?

A friend of mine was at the Tribute band ZOfO’s show the other night and was sending me videos of it for a laugh,they had the 75 tour outfits on and actually did a pretty decent Wanton Song,at least they know they’re a cover band.

This was my original take on them from awhile back,now having watched the SNL appearance on you tube I have to admit I was way off the mark.
I didn’t come up with nearly enough adjectives to describe this fckng dumpster fire.
I wanted to laugh but I just stared in amazement at the sheer amount of vacuum their sucking created.it was like being taken into an alternate reality where the Bay City Rollers tried to go heavy and take the place of the old bands.
When it mercifully ended I quickly went to the you tube comments section where my faith in humanity was restored.
My favorite was “just like Zeppelin if Zeppelin sucked” a close second was “ I thought it was a SNL skit”
Sadly there were a few who liked it,if you’re one of those you are the little guy in Coming to America who says after Randy Watson finishes singing “that boy can sing ,he’s good”

OT - Greta Van Fleet
Date: April 8, 2019 17:21

The Rolling Stones have been my favorite band for a long, long time. I will soon be 62. I have also loved the music of Blue Öyster Cult, Queen, Aerosmith, Kinks, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. The 'newest' band that I have really embraced since I am 17 might have been U2 (and yes, I know that they ain't new) Finally, after a lifetime of searching... I think I have finally 'discovered' a band that I genuinely like (a lot) GRETA VAN FLEET. Sure, they sound like Led Zeppelin. And I mean they sound like vintage Led Zeppelin with a young Robert Plant. I don't know how original these guys are - but I love their music. Anyone else out here discover these guys?

Re: OT - Greta Van Fleet
Date: April 8, 2019 17:40

Oh boy.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 8, 2019 17:55

Perhaps the most inauthentic music I’ve heard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-08 17:55 by Bastion.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 8, 2019 18:01

[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 8, 2019 18:02

I think it's fashionable to hate GVF, but I personally like them.

Do they sound like Zep? Sure

But weren't the early Stones trying to sound like Muddy and Chuck?

Anyway, to each his own, but I like them.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 8, 2019 18:04

[www.youtube.com]

GVF - Highway Tune - they ripped off ZEP's The Rover but ZEP has done that and so have many other artists - I would say they are trying to sound to much like ZEP and that's a shame since they are a young talented band.

Date: April 8, 2019 19:33

I appreciate your naivitè, `cause there is already a thread on this where this band is discussed through and through. I like them, simply `cause they sound like Led Zep. I hope this ain`t gonna change.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 8, 2019 19:50

I like them fine. I'll never go see them but they're fun to listen to with decent musicianship.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 8, 2019 21:27

ROCK IS DEAD... and GVF is looting its cold stiff body! grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 8, 2019 21:31

A lot of old codgers on this board.

Who cares if they're ripping zep off? Zep was the king of ripping off other artists.

GVF...they do it so well.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: April 8, 2019 21:38

HopeYouGuessMyName
The Rolling Stones have been my favorite band for a long, long time. I will soon be 62. I have also loved the music of Blue Öyster Cult, Queen, Aerosmith, Kinks, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. The 'newest' band that I have really embraced since I am 17 might have been U2 (and yes, I know that they ain't new) Finally, after a lifetime of searching... I think I have finally 'discovered' a band that I genuinely like (a lot) GRETA VAN FLEET. Sure, they sound like Led Zeppelin. And I mean they sound like vintage Led Zeppelin with a young Robert Plant. I don't know how original these guys are - but I love their music. Anyone else out here discover these guys?

Your story is my story too. I love most of the classic rock bands...and pretty much no band that started after the early 80's, except U2. There have been a couple that I enjoyed...INXS, Black Crowes etc, bands that sound like 'classic rock'. GTF?...sure why not...I may be old and they may be young but I'll listen. I just won't buy their tee-shirt,lol....

Date: April 8, 2019 21:41

I get really tired of the groupthink that infects these discussions.

Do I like GVF? Not particularly, but good for them for making rock'n'roll slightly more popular with younger fans.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 8, 2019 23:04

keefriff99
but good for them for making rock'n'roll slightly more popular with younger fans.

You raise an interesting point : does a rock newbie need a 4th-rate band to discover rock? Does a 12-yo need a Michael Bay turd to discover films?

Isn't it preferable that young people enter a cultural field through a significant figure (the Stones, Kubrick) rather than a pretty bad one (GVF, Michael Bay).

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: April 8, 2019 23:12

Lot to like about them IMHO (I'm 45)
Looking forward to seeing them in Leeds in Nov

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home