Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is A Bigger Bang being the wordwide #1 record the Stones greatest and most defiant achievement?
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: September 17, 2005 01:15

I don't think what the Stones have just done (A Bigger Bang being the #1 record in the world in 2005) can be overestimated.

In an era where rap, youth and canned pop singers dominate the charts the Rolling Stones have done the near impossible.

When you combine the factors the Stones had working against them

1/ Ageism - How many late night comedians have made a living at the Stones expense? People turn their back on them for the simple reason they are not 25 years old and fake like Ashlie Simpson or The Game.
2/ Airplay -Or lack there of. It seems the survey groups that radio stations use refuse to give the Stones a break or any airplay. Hey, why play the Stones when you can play hacks like Jessica Simpson or 50 Cent.
3/ Rap - In an era where rap is the dominant musical force on the charts. One would think the Stones would be lucky to make the charts never mind be #1 on them.
4/ MTV era- Where the music just doesn't make a difference. It's the look and the video that count not the music.
5/ Illness- When I heard Charlie had cancer I honestly thought that was the end.
6/ Addiction- Ronnie Wood'S battles with the bottle etc, (stay strong brother)
7/ Bad Press- The Stones get more bad press than the next 5 major rock bands combined.

With all these factors working against them you would think the Stones would be be happy to turn out a mediocre album and go on an oldies tour. Or simply call it a day.

Instead the Stones shock the world with the worldwide #1 album. And their best work since 1981.

I honestly feel The Stones not giving up and having this much success (did I mention the sold out stadium tour that is going on in the USA?) this late in the game might be the most defiant and greatest achievement of their career.

This era will be well remembered in retrospect and may be what we will remember about the Stones in 50 (assuming they still aren't on the road)years. THEY ARE THE GROUP THAT REFUSED TO DIE. AND AS I WRITE THIS THEY ARE THE NUMBER 1 MUSICAL ACT IN THE WORLD IN SEPTEMBER OF 2005. #1 records in 5 different decades is a truly unimaginable and defiant achievement that none of the shitheads on the charts today will ever equal.

Long Live the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World. Then and Now.

Re: Is A Bigger Bang being the wordwide #1 record the Stones greatest and most defiant achievement?
Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 17, 2005 01:32

well said james kirk,STONES ARE WAY OF LIFE SINCE 1963 AND FOR ME SINCE 1968.
ROLLING STONES GREATEST ROCK-ROLL BAND,THE BEST.

Re: Is A Bigger Bang being the wordwide #1 record the Stones greatest and most defiant achievement?
Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 17, 2005 01:49

Well said James Kirk, I too think this moment in rock 'n' roll history belongs to The Stones.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: September 17, 2005 01:51

ditto

john scialfa

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: September 17, 2005 02:01

"Bad Press- The Stones get more bad press than the next 5 major rock bands combined."

Stones still beats U and Macca in their reviews in Rolling Stone: Stones 4,5 - the other two ones 4.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 17, 2005 02:08

i would call it a continuation of the stones greatest and most defiant achievement.....a forty-three year continuation...best to all

Posted by: terry ()
Date: September 17, 2005 02:20

they cannot and will not be beaten

Date: September 17, 2005 02:22

Bad press is better than no press at all. It still counts in the end. The Rolling Stone Mag review was actually quite good no?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-17 02:24 by RankOutsider.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 17, 2005 02:34

ABB debuted at #1 in the Eurochart.
[www.allofmp3.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 17, 2005 02:40

record sales and mostly good reviews arent the bands biggest achievement

Still being around and still making good music are, however

Date: September 17, 2005 04:32

amen Gazza.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 17, 2005 05:11

I hope your signature wasnt directed at me as well!!!!

Date: September 17, 2005 08:34

There are many people who like to take shots at the Stones. More so than other acts. This global#1 is a big @#$%& you to them.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 17, 2005 09:28

Agreed. Very good said! To quote good old Chuck: hail hail rock 'n' roll!

Date: September 17, 2005 19:25

Thanks reptile:

I wonder if people understand what a major accomplishment this #1 is in the year 2005?

Posted by: davido ()
Date: September 18, 2005 04:38

I'm glad for a lot of the younger fans that our boys
finally seem to be back on top of the charts. But if
I remember from back in the day that can be a mixed
blessing too. Most folks like whatever is popular,
so now they'll like the Stones too, for awhile.
That includes all the people you can't stand,
who don't really get it, are just into it
coz everybody else is. And to stay on
top the band is going to be under
pressure to keep playing to them,
giving them what they want.
Popular doesn't necessarily
mean better..................

Still, it's a moment to celebrate,
but for my money, I like the Stones
with or without the worldwide kudos,
and just hope/ trust, that as
always they'll stay true to
the rock.

Enjoy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1818
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home