Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: OT: Guns 'n' Roses summer 2018 in Europe
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 22, 2018 23:02

People say Mick and Keith hate each other and only do it for the money. The Stones have used click tracks in the studio since 1982. They have used pre-recorded rhythm tracks on stage since 1989. Some, like Bill Wyman, would say the 2012 reunions were poorly handled. Mick Taylor might agree since 2015. I don't think Slash was forced to play songs from CHINESE DEMOCRACY. He could have quit or insisted he be offstage for those numbers. Someone who seems to know a bit more about this band than me claims Slash and Duff have recorded overdubs for a possible new album anyway. Not much different than the Stones overdubbing on Mick and Matt's demos.

The reality is they're not boys any more and the artists and their fans are all well past their glory days. Some people like seeing them reunite. Some don't. Some people think The Police played terrific on their reunion tour and aren't bothered if they don't see one another as friends. Some people believe multi-millionaire artists aren't motivated by the money despite the obscene ticket prices and limited edition merchandising they churn out as a band or as individual members. It's all perspective, I suppose.

Posted by: Gerry ()
Date: June 22, 2018 23:35

it's really funny, that the current guns n'roses-line up is a joke. There are a lot of jokes of the stones around, that the stones have also to quit years ago. Some say, the stones are also a parody of themselves. And I repeat, that also the stones aren't the same.

Some said, Charlie was to persuade to go on tour. Of course, if you can't do anything else, you do it, what you can best. so... they go on tour. and it's funny, that the argument contra guns n roses is money. are the stones playing just for fun? which band has the highest prices for the tickets? the highest grossing tours in history to date?

topic setlist:
yes, the gunners played covers? so what? they did it during their peak time and their beginning. they played always songs from stones, queen, aerosmith etc.

slash have done the some "shit" like he did during the uni-tour (godfather theme before sweet child o mine, voodoo child after civil war. only women bleed before knockin' on heavens door (remember Freddie mercury tribute concert); Axl played also a intro/outro on November rain. so... nothing special.

I saw them last year twice. and enjoyed both shows really well. I can't complain...

and some of you forgot: they have songs which are some of the longest-record tracks in history: estranged, november rain, coma, civil war, which takes nearly 45 minutes alone.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 23, 2018 04:05

It is really funny to see Stones fans lambasting G n' R for basically doing what the Stones have done since 1989.

Don't get me wrong...I'm a die-hard Stones fan and just a casual fan of G n' R, and their legacies aren't even remotely comparable, but in terms of reuniting and playing mostly hits for insane amounts of cash, G n' R are just following the lead trailblazed by the Stones.

Why aren't they making a new record? Because it's not 1989 anymore. Back then, you kinda needed a new record to tour on, even the Stones only gave it a half-hearted effort with Steel Wheels-Bigger Bang. Even they realize it's not necessary to put out new music to tour.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 23, 2018 14:55

keefriff99
It is really funny to see Stones fans lambasting G n' R for basically doing what the Stones have done since 1989.

Wrong, in 1989 Mick hasn't imposed the guy who drummed on "She's The Boss" (say Anton Fier) in lieu of Charlie. Nor has he made the use of click-tracks mandatory on every song of every live show (goodbye feel and swing). Nor has he forced Keef to play "Running Out of Luck" (yuck!).

The current incarnation of G&R is a cash-sucking abomination. I saw this band in 1993 and back then I already had the feeling I was watching a parody of the band I admired cause Izzy and Adler were gone.

At least in 1993 the band showed up on time and didn't play a ridiculous bloated setlist full of pointless covers. They played for 2h20 and bid farewell.

Date: June 23, 2018 16:44

dcba
keefriff99

Wrong, in 1989 Mick hasn't imposed the guy who drummed on "She's The Boss" (say Anton Fier) in lieu of Charlie. Nor has he made the use of click-tracks mandatory on every song of every live show (goodbye feel and swing). Nor has he forced Keef to play "Running Out of Luck" (yuck!).

The current incarnation of G&R is a cash-sucking abomination. I saw this band in 1993 and back then I already had the feeling I was watching a parody of the band I admired cause Izzy and Adler were gone.

At least in 1993 the band showed up on time and didn't play a ridiculous bloated setlist full of pointless covers. They played for 2h20 and bid farewell.

the current drummer of GNR has been there longer than steven adler and matt sorum were combined. why should he be kicked aside ? your example is silly as Charlie never left the band. GNR is also playing a song from velvet revolver which axl wasn't part of but slash was so it doesn't seem like anyone is being forced to do anything.

as far as the band playing covers. I looked at a 1993 setlist and they usually played 6 covers during the show as well as several cover interludes as intros or outros so saying they didn't play a ridiculous amount of covers in 1993 is false unless you think 8 covers in 3 hours is bloated and 6 covers in 2 and 1/3 hours isn't bloated. also in 1993 the band released an album of nothing but covers

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 23, 2018 18:50

Even if you discount their ridiculously superior legacy, the Stones are still a band that holds meetings and votes on decisions. GnR haven't been a band since Axl forced the others to give up their rights to the name, sometime around 1993?

After being called a "cancer" by Axl and having carved out a respectable, if not spectacular, solo carreer it's unlikely Slash would have ever agreed to come back if he hadn't been about to lose everything. You gotta do what you gotta do. We'll never know what he thinks since he's apparently not allowed to talk by contract. So yes that "band" is a complete joke.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-24 16:07 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 23, 2018 20:11

gotdablouse
Even if you discount their ridiculously superior legacy, the Stones are still a band that holds meetings and votes on decisions. GnR haven't been a band since Axl forced the others to give up their rights to the name, sometime around 1993?

After being called a "cancer" by Axl and having carved out a respectable, if not spectacular, solo carreer it's unlikely Slash would have ever agreed to come back if he hadn't been about to loose everything. You gotta do what you gotta do. We'll never know what he thinks since he's apparently not allowed to talk by contract. So yes that "band" is a complete joke.

1996 I think. It’s in Slash’ biography.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 23, 2018 20:39

They signed over the name during the Use Your Illusion tour, so 92 or 93. Slash left in 96 but signing over the name had happened long before when they were messed up on drugs and on tour and Axl refused to go onstage that night until they appeased him.

As for Slash rejoining, yes the divorce is obviously a major factor. I don't believe its the only one, as apparently this was in the works for years (it was essentially known but didn't want to be accepted in 2014 that those Vegas shows were a farewell to "that" band), but it obviously had a major sway on things. Apparently Axl hated Perla as well so that probably helped. A lot of it was about money, but Slash always did want to be back in GNR. It just had to be done in a way that was "right enough" and offered a massive payday. And this was that.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: June 24, 2018 07:25

Having seen the original Guns twice in 1987 and twice in 1988 I had no desire to see the current version of the band for the inflated prices they have been charging and Axl struggling to sing the old songs.

But was excited yo hear Slash making a new album with Myles and touring this fall with the Conspirators.

Got my tix to their Boston HoB show. Great band and I prefer them to current Guns anyday.

Date: June 24, 2018 07:34

oldschool
Having seen the original Guns twice in 1987 and twice in 1988 I had no desire to see the current version of the band for the inflated prices they have been charging and Axl struggling to sing the old songs.

But was excited yo hear Slash making a new album with Myles and touring this fall with the Conspirators.

Got my tix to their Boston HoB show. Great band and I prefer them to current Guns anyday.

I've been saying since he started his solo band that they are one of the better (I used to say best but thats talking it up way too much) straight rock bands out there these days. I LOVE a Slash and Conspirators show. I get that people don't love his singer Myles and that he's whiney, and that his solo music is rather generic, but I love the albums, Myles does not bother me, and his solo band is killer. Bass player and drummer are fantastic. On top of that, the prices are very reasonable, the venues are small which is better for the shows, and he changes the set a little bit every night which is fun. I always go multiple times a tour whenever he's in my area and will be doing the same later this year with NY and NJ. Can't recommend his solo shows enough and yes, I prefer and look forward to those more than current day GNR ones.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 25, 2018 01:38

I am in the traffic jam after the mannheim concert right now. 3 hours 20 minutes. And they have been great. Did not expect that

Date: June 25, 2018 02:14

RollingFreak
oldschool

I've been saying since he started his solo band that they are one of the better (I used to say best but thats talking it up way too much) straight rock bands out there these days. I LOVE a Slash and Conspirators show. I get that people don't love his singer Myles and that he's whiney, and that his solo music is rather generic, but I love the albums, Myles does not bother me, and his solo band is killer. Bass player and drummer are fantastic. On top of that, the prices are very reasonable, the venues are small which is better for the shows, and he changes the set a little bit every night which is fun. I always go multiple times a tour whenever he's in my area and will be doing the same later this year with NY and NJ. Can't recommend his solo shows enough and yes, I prefer and look forward to those more than current day GNR ones.
I saw Slash's Snakepit open for AC/DC back in 2000...they were pretty solid. Rod Jackson was the lead singer...whatever happened to that guy?

Date: June 25, 2018 02:35

keefriff99
RollingFreak
oldschool

I saw Slash's Snakepit open for AC/DC back in 2000...they were pretty solid. Rod Jackson was the lead singer...whatever happened to that guy?

i like rod jackson. that was a good album. the riff on "speed parade" was straight GNR

Date: June 25, 2018 05:50

Lol ok, you wanna get into one of my favorite albums of the last 20 years Ain't Life Grand? Gladly.

That was not only a good album, it was a GREAT album. That album is my prime example of how bad today's listening public is. I get it, its hard rock and not reinventing the wheel. If that album was by a legacy band or maybe by a new band, I think it would have caught fire. Unfortunately it was from one of Slash's side projects and in no way got the respect it deserved.

So much to love about that record. The lineup was killer. Ryan Roxie, now with Alice Cooper, and an incredible vocalist in Rod Jackson. What happened to the guy? He went nowhere, cause there just isn't really a medium for hard rock . But the dude was an excellent vocalist, IMO the best Slash has ever had besides Axl and that band was fierce on that record. To top it all off, its produced by Jack @#$%& Douglas of Aerosmith and John Lennon fame. Not to mention the songs were incredible. To date, Slash's best hard rock outside of Guns in Been There Lately, Mean Bone, Life's Sweet Drug, Landslide, Speed Parade as you say. The album had a ton of other styles though: there's a GREAT bluesy jazz track on there in the title track Ain't Life Grand, a should be radio single in The Truth which is as catchy as anything out there, softer moments like Back To The Moment, an epic grand song in Serial Killer.

Sorry, you've gotten me fired up but if you are a fan of Guns or Slash or hard rock, the album Ain't Life Grand is absolutely phenomenal. To this day, it bothers me that almost no one knows about it. I get why, but seriously its a can't miss record with not a bad track on it. I'm as shocked as anyone that Slash had it in him to record that but its an album that should get more acclaim and I truly mean it as one of the best albums of the last 20 years IMO. I get why it fell through the cracks but more should know about it. I'm jealous you saw them open for AC/DC and yeah, Rod was an awesome vocalist, I wish he was doing more today. Last I heard he was doing fine but just kinda bumming around. Its hard to get a break doing that style of music now that its not the 80s anymore. But thats one of the strongest voices I've ever heard.

Date: June 25, 2018 19:49

RollingFreak
Lol ok, you wanna get into one of my favorite albums of the last 20 years Ain't Life Grand? Gladly.

That was not only a good album, it was a GREAT album. That album is my prime example of how bad today's listening public is. I get it, its hard rock and not reinventing the wheel. If that album was by a legacy band or maybe by a new band, I think it would have caught fire. Unfortunately it was from one of Slash's side projects and in no way got the respect it deserved.

So much to love about that record. The lineup was killer. Ryan Roxie, now with Alice Cooper, and an incredible vocalist in Rod Jackson. What happened to the guy? He went nowhere, cause there just isn't really a medium for hard rock . But the dude was an excellent vocalist, IMO the best Slash has ever had besides Axl and that band was fierce on that record. To top it all off, its produced by Jack @#$%& Douglas of Aerosmith and John Lennon fame. Not to mention the songs were incredible. To date, Slash's best hard rock outside of Guns in Been There Lately, Mean Bone, Life's Sweet Drug, Landslide, Speed Parade as you say. The album had a ton of other styles though: there's a GREAT bluesy jazz track on there in the title track Ain't Life Grand, a should be radio single in The Truth which is as catchy as anything out there, softer moments like Back To The Moment, an epic grand song in Serial Killer.

Sorry, you've gotten me fired up but if you are a fan of Guns or Slash or hard rock, the album Ain't Life Grand is absolutely phenomenal. To this day, it bothers me that almost no one knows about it. I get why, but seriously its a can't miss record with not a bad track on it. I'm as shocked as anyone that Slash had it in him to record that but its an album that should get more acclaim and I truly mean it as one of the best albums of the last 20 years IMO. I get why it fell through the cracks but more should know about it. I'm jealous you saw them open for AC/DC and yeah, Rod was an awesome vocalist, I wish he was doing more today. Last I heard he was doing fine but just kinda bumming around. Its hard to get a break doing that style of music now that its not the 80s anymore. But thats one of the strongest voices I've ever heard.

I always wondered if slash recording that album for Geffen/interscope and then going to another label caused the lack of promotion by his new label and that's why sales were weak. also from like 1996-1999 slash was touring with slashs blues ball and maybe it through fans off when all of the suden the snakepit was back with a totally different lineup

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: June 26, 2018 15:00

According to interviews I have read with Slash I believe Rod Jackson had a serious drug issue and became unreliable. Slash also had health issues around the time of Snakepit II and his record lsbel had financial issues and well.

The Conspirators are a killer band. Bassist Todd Kerns had a great voice and Brent Fitz is the best drummer Slash has ever played with IMHO.

I get why some fans don't like Myles voice but I think he does a credible job on the old Guns tunes and nails the VR and Snakepit songs. I listen to the Australia Instant Live recordings of their first tour together often. Some of the Best sounding live recordings I own.

They play small venues, ticket prices are under $100 US and do a killer show. Can't ask for much more I think.

Also agree Ain't Life Grand is an excellent album. Very underrated.

Date: June 26, 2018 15:10

RollingFreak

I've got to check this album out now. I do remember when it was released that it got very good reviews, particularly as old-school hard rock was kind of difficult to come by back in 2000.

Date: June 26, 2018 15:37

keefriff99
RollingFreak

I've got to check this album out now. I do remember when it was released that it got very good reviews, particularly as old-school hard rock was kind of difficult to come by back in 2000.

if you can find it get it. the import version has extra tracks. i believe there is also a version that had 2 other tunes. like an early promo version or something

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 5, 2018 17:43

The 3 latest IEM releases from Xavel courtesy of Rockphantom at Dime : thumbs up

GNR 2017-11-28 SAN DIEGO IEM Matrix.rar
[we.tl]

GNR 2017-01-21 OSAKA IEM Matrix.rar
[we.tl]

GNR 2017-01-22 KOBE IEM Matrix.rar
[we.tl]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 5, 2018 17:52

In related GnR news, Duff's side project "Walking Papers" will be playing a show in Paris at the tiny "Petit-Bain" location (450 capacity) but without Duff. This is odd since I'd gathered they were waiting for him to be done with GnR to resume touring...They still get some mileage out of him though since they say he co-wrote part of their second album. Their frontman Jeff Angel is terrific so I'll make sure to catch them again !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: July 5, 2018 21:45

dcba
The 3 latest IEM releases from Xavel courtesy of Rockphantom at Dime : thumbs up

GNR 2017-11-28 SAN DIEGO IEM Matrix.rar
[we.tl]

Thanks! Forwarded the link to a friend who I think was at the show.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home