Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No Filter: Did Charlie play faster? Did they play better: DISCUSS
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: November 4, 2017 08:29

I felt their overall playing was faster than recent tours, and althoughset lists were mainly predictable they played with a renewed attack and focus?

Re: No Filter: Did Charlie play faster? Did they play better: DISCUSS
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 4, 2017 09:49

I wouldn't say he played faster, but remember the tempos of most songs are dictated by how fast Keith plays the intros, how fast they play IORR, TD, BS, JJF etc is all up to Keith.

Date: November 4, 2017 11:06

That is exactly what I have often wondered, and I very much felt that Keith had a real attack and purpose during this tour, and if it’s not Charlie who sets the £10 and it really is in fact Keith, then definitely they seem to be playing faster? The jumping jack flash from Paris is as fast as the jumping jack flash from the shine a light tour in 2006 I mean a big bang. And that is definitely faster than the stones in Hyde Park in 2013.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: November 4, 2017 14:09

LP, CD, Bootleg or Original: Brussels 1973 : Street Fighting Man.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 4, 2017 14:18

Nope...nowadays Stones is a Jagger-thing...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 4, 2017 14:31

sets the ten pounds or sets the tempo, guyrachel? grinning smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 4, 2017 14:41

tioms
LP, CD, Bootleg or Original: Brussels 1973 : Street Fighting Man.

...bull's eye!! Insane version. (Funny; the wife & I been playing that exact same track last nite; straight after Zilker Park, YaYa's, and some smartphone videos she made in Arnhem & Paris#2. And a good time was had by all. smoking smiley )

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 4, 2017 16:25

I don't believe that Keith or Charlie dictate tempos onstage. They're generally set by Chuck and programmed to a click.

Date: November 4, 2017 16:43

keefriff99
I don't believe that Keith or Charlie dictate tempos onstage. They're generally set by Chuck and programmed to a click.

Chuck's role comes in when he's counting in the songs. I'm pretty sure Keith doesn't go by a click-track when he's starting Start Me Up or Jumping Jack Flash. grinning smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 4, 2017 16:49

TheBlockbuster
keefriff99

Chuck's role comes in when he's counting in the songs. I'm pretty sure Keith doesn't go by a click-track when he's starting Start Me Up or Jumping Jack Flash. grinning smiley
I've always wondered how the "riff first" songs are set, tempo-wise. I find it difficult to believe that the tempos are simply left up to Keith's whims post '89. I know he doesn't use an in-ear monitor.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 4, 2017 19:20

keefriff99
TheBlockbuster
keefriff99

I've always wondered how the "riff first" songs are set, tempo-wise. I find it difficult to believe that the tempos are simply left up to Keith's whims post '89. I know he doesn't use an in-ear monitor.

He might start tune with a riff, but then has to fall in line with the pre-set tempos (probably led by Chuck) which can lead to some confusion and result in near train wrecks.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 4, 2017 19:27

I'd guess they work out the tempos in rehearsal.
Probably Keith does that and Chuck does his best to make those the tempos in the show, bearing in mind Keith can do something different.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 4, 2017 19:28

11 years ago, they would give the tempo on the setlist...

Not anymore

But it seems getting slower to me in the last years.
Of course 1970s shows were played at a much faster beat.

Date: November 4, 2017 19:33

On that playlist, I love the Tempo designation for Keith's songs: KR

Date: November 4, 2017 19:40

Which makes wonder...
Did they stop to set a precise tempo for each song, or is it a detail which is now hidden from the set list?

Date: November 4, 2017 19:45

A friend who is a musician said the Stones records are so good in part because the tempos are not fixed within the songs -- for example, he said the pick up going into choruses. He said it makes the music breathe, so to speak, which makes us relate to it as a living thing.

Date: November 4, 2017 19:59

Hairball
keefriff99
TheBlockbuster
keefriff99

He might start tune with a riff, but then has to fall in line with the pre-set tempos (probably led by Chuck) which can lead to some confusion and result in near train wrecks.

How would that work? Keith starts, and then Charlie has to look at Chuck who's snapping his fingers in the right tempo? smiling smiley As far as I know the Stones don't use click tracks, except maybe Chuck for the songs he's counting in.

Date: November 4, 2017 20:14

TheBlockbuster
Hairball
keefriff99
TheBlockbuster
keefriff99

How would that work? Keith starts, and then Charlie has to look at Chuck who's snapping his fingers in the right tempo? smiling smiley As far as I know the Stones don't use click tracks, except maybe Chuck for the songs he's counting in.

Not sure how that would work, but according to the pic posted above by The Joker, the tempo is something that has been set in stone - except for Keith who is either instinctively with it, trying to get with it, or simply flying by the seat of his pants. The fact that the setlists no longer show the pre-determined tempo might mean it's a "secret" between certain band members. I'm thinking mostly Chuck and Mick (and maybe Charlie), and then the other side musicians who follow the leader ie Chuck. They might even keep this hidden from Keith who thinks they're still winging it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-04 20:15 by Hairball.

Date: November 4, 2017 20:24

Hairball
TheBlockbuster
Hairball
keefriff99
TheBlockbuster
keefriff99

Not sure how that would work, but according to the pic posted above by The Joker, the tempo is something that has been set in stone - except for Keith who is either instinctively with it, trying to get with it, or simply flying by the seat of his pants. The fact that the setlists no longer show the pre-determined tempo might mean it's a "secret" between certain band members, and maybe Charlie. I'm thinking mostly Chuck and Mick, and then the other side musicians who follow the leader ie Chuck. They might even keep this hidden from Keith who thinks they're still winging it all.

I think those written out tempos are more of ''reference tempos'' for everyone to aim at. There's no way to know that you're playing at exactly 126 bpm unless you have a click track. The SFTD tempo is set in stone, since there are sampled drums on it, which also is the reason Charlie is wearing those headphones on SFTD, he needs to hear the right tempo so he's not playing out of time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-04 20:49 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 4, 2017 22:34

THINK, for god´s sake: of course there are no click tracks!!! Except för SFTD. Dont some of you LISTEN to the music?

Date: November 5, 2017 00:06

Bjorn
THINK, for god´s sake: of course there are no click tracks!!! Except för SFTD. Dont some of you LISTEN to the music?

No click tracks, but Chuck can count 1,2,3 on certain songs, and sometimes you can hear it slightly. So, for instance, it's possible Chuck gives a discreet 107 count for starting Tumbling Dice... After that, no click tracks. But musicians are supposed to keep the same pace along,

Date: November 5, 2017 00:19

TheBlockbuster
Hairball
TheBlockbuster
Hairball
keefriff99
TheBlockbuster
keefriff99

Not sure how that would work, but according to the pic posted above by The Joker, the tempo is something that has been set in stone - except for Keith who is either instinctively with it, trying to get with it, or simply flying by the seat of his pants. The fact that the setlists no longer show the pre-determined tempo might mean it's a "secret" between certain band members, and maybe Charlie. I'm thinking mostly Chuck and Mick, and then the other side musicians who follow the leader ie Chuck. They might even keep this hidden from Keith who thinks they're still winging it all.

I think those written out tempos are more of ''reference tempos'' for everyone to aim at. There's no way to know that you're playing at exactly 126 bpm unless you have a click track. The SFTD tempo is set in stone, since there are sampled drums on it, which also is the reason Charlie is wearing those headphones on SFTD, he needs to hear the right tempo so he's not playing out of time.

I wasn't insinuating all the tunes had a click track (Sympathy obviously does), but the possibility that Chuck probably plays at a pre-determined tempo, and the rest follow. Being the "musical director" of the band in a live setting, his job is more than just helping Mick pick out which songs to play. He has an earpiece that might have a 'click track' that only he can hear, or he might have a little blinky light on his keyboard that serves as the predetermined tempo for each song.

Date: November 5, 2017 00:21

How do other bands do it?

Date: November 5, 2017 00:22

Of course they rehearse to specific tempos, and I’m sure Keith either gets behind that or is a law unto himself. I would not be surprised if they had not decided to play faster or at least in keeping with 10 years ago because some songs had got v slow, and that Keith has HAD to keep up...

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: November 5, 2017 00:44

They were quite a bit slower than last year, but by the end of the tour they were almost back to the "normal" tempi. If Keith starts a song too slow, Charlie often tries to speed it up when the whole band comes in after the riff, that happened sometimes during JJF this year.

btw notice how fast Satisfaction at Paris 2 was compared to other versions this tour, so Keith's riffs definitely sets the tempo of the songs he starts...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-05 00:45 by MonkeyMan2000.

Date: November 5, 2017 10:42

I think they were noticeably faster than the last few years on almost all the tracks they needed to be faster on. Compare how slow ahavana and Hyde park are...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2609
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home