Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ladies and Gentleman: ABB is the #1 album worldwide!
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 16, 2005 06:14

Congrats to all the Stones fans worldwide.

[www.mediatraffic.de]

ALBUM-CHART HEADLINES: 41 years after the first Rolling Stones album, the band scores the global chart with their new smash 'A Bigger Bang' - the album sold 396.000 copies worldwide in its opening week +++ last week's no.1, Kanye West's 'Late Registration' drops at no.2 on a massive 63% sales decline to 378.000 copies +++ after the reissue of 50 Cent's 'The Massacre', the album storms from no.30 to no.3 this week on a 219% boost to 201.000 copies +++ Coldplay's 'X&Y' holds no.4 (down 11% to 173.000 copies) and the Black Eyed Peas' 'Monkey Business' climbs one spot at no.5 (down 8% to 170.000 copies)

Top 5 Albums Worldwide:
1. Rolling Stones, A Bigger Bang (396,000 copies)
2. Kanye West, Late Registration (378,000 copies)
3. 50 Cent, The Massacre (201,000 copies)
4. Coldplay, X&Y (173,000 copies)
5. Back Eyed Peas, Monkey Business (170,000 copies)

[www.mediatraffic.de]

Re: Ladies and Gentleman: ABB is the #1 album worldwide!
Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: September 16, 2005 06:18

Coldplay album has xhibited staying power...wonder about ABB's ability to do so. Not that I personally care. I more care about the fact that so far into their careers they have delivered such a strong body of work.

Rod

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 16, 2005 06:20

Great news!!!!

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 16, 2005 07:29

"Coldplay album has xhibited staying power...wonder about ABB's ability to do so. Not that I personally care. I more care about the fact that so far into their careers they have delivered such a strong body of work."

Well said, RoddyD. Don't expect of ABB to have the staying power of Coldplay's album. But don't expect of Coldplay to have the stability of the Stones so far! That's the big difference between the Stones and the new bands with the big but ephemeral hype. An example: Georgelicks just informed me (i asked him) that the last album of Oasis have sold in the USA only 160,000 copies. Total sales. OK, i'm sure that in few years Coldplay will be the "Oasis of 2005"
Even the last Pearl Jam's album have sold 440,000 in the USA (i mention a band that i truly like, a band which was able in the early 90s to sell 8-9 million copies only in the USA).

Yes, yes, yes... After 43 years the Stones are alive and kicking. With a great album. And we are nagging because ABB gets in the USA #3. MAN, WE MUST BE CRAZY!!!!

Date: September 16, 2005 07:46

GEORGELICKS WAIT A MINUTE! I remember a post of yours. You wrote "310,000 in 7 countries", rihgt? So how the hell are ONLY 396,000 worldwide? Unless this total number cames from the 7-8 biggest markets only. Is that the explanation?

Posted by: MarcJ ()
Date: September 16, 2005 07:56

A simple question : how do these sales are counted?

Does it represent real sales to final customers or CDs sent to shops ? Is it just an approximative count from the major shops, i would be surprised that any single shop around the world would be able to give these informations week after week.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 16, 2005 08:02

>>GEORGELICKS WAIT A MINUTE! I remember a post of yours. You wrote "310,000 in 7 countries", rihgt? So how the hell are ONLY 396,000 worldwide? Unless this total number cames from the 7-8 biggest markets only. Is that the explanation?

Japan's first week numbers are out of the count, because the album was released 5 days before than the rest of the world. During this time (5 days - Aug 31 / Sep. 4) it sold 42k.
Mediatraffic's numbers are from Sep. 5/11.
The real number (including Japan sales) must be close to 440k worldwide for the week ending Sep. 11.

Mediatraffic covers the 90% of the world sales and their numbers are very exact. They count UNITS sold from world reports of 30+ countries. A gold certification in Portugal/Argentina/Italy doesn't mean that it sold that number because the certifications are from shipments, not sales.

Ok, I'm tired of answering by now. I go to sleep.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-16 08:07 by georgelicks.

Date: September 16, 2005 08:07

Me too Georgelicks... Good night. Thanks for the great informations!

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: September 16, 2005 09:11

abb will be # 2 next week

Posted by: hi1 ()
Date: September 16, 2005 10:36

Great to know the Stones are number 1 around the world with new material.... It is not the same old stuff.... They still can write good songs and that's all that matters! They have proven to the rest of the world they can be on the top of things after 8 years without new material.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 16, 2005 11:49

Not that I give a hoot, but as Gaz pointed out: Isn't the Stones the only band ever to have a #1 record in 5 decades???

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: September 16, 2005 12:25

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not that I give a hoot, but as Gaz pointed out:
> Isn't the Stones the only band ever to have a #1
> record in 5 decades???
>
>
> "Better than suicide"

Yeah and now we are only waiting for the next no 1 in the next decade!
In the meantime I for sure will let my cd player run hot playing this
little no 1 cutie!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 16, 2005 12:29

Kanye West's album pisses all over A Bigger Turd.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 16, 2005 12:46

Very much impressed by Coldplayscore

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 16, 2005 13:39

Nikolai said: "Kanye West's album pisses all over A Bigger Turd."

Now there's somebody that needs to be hanging out at a Stones 'fan club' board.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 16, 2005 13:53

Nikolai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kanye West's album pisses all over A Bigger Turd.

get lost troll

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 16, 2005 13:56

No rank just whack him before he multiplys....Kapow...Kapow!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 16, 2005 14:25

I didnt know there was such a thing as a "global chart" (which is a bit weird as different countries have their 'chart weeks' ending on different days)

nevertheless, that makes pleasant reading.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 16, 2005 21:03

Hi Georgelicks,

Thanks for the great news. Do you (or any others on board) know what the quantity of units sold are needed for gold/platinum certification in the other major countries apart from the US? I mentioned previously Canada is 50k for gold and 100k for platinum. What about countries like England, Germany, France, Holland, Japan, Russia, Australia, Brazil, etc.? Thanks.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: September 16, 2005 21:55

That site has to be the most unprofessional page I have ever seen. If that site really tracks the global charts then aparently the rest of the world hasnt learned to code HTML.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: September 16, 2005 22:00

Re: ABB is the #1 album worldwide!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congratulations to that skinny block of cats
who have been playing to sell out audiences and writing No1
albums for 40 odd years.
The Stones continue to defy the odds, buck trends and their
fans will never ever forget the greatest rock & roll band of all time.

Ps - I wonder what crap Gomper & Mr L will post next for it is going to be extremely difficult to critise the Stones for being No1 worldwide with the excellent album 'A' Bigger Bang but no doubt they will.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: September 17, 2005 00:38

Why is all the attention payed to the American chart when clearly the Worldwide chart is much more important?

#1 in the world in 2005!!!!

Posted by: Kid ()
Date: September 17, 2005 02:30

I`m new here folks, but I been a Stoneite sice I was 10 in 1970,I knew The Boys had it in em to come out with another great one.It reminds me of Some Girls, just the band, and Mick and Keef writing "on the couch facing each other'.

BTW I was at Soldier field and there were some good posts about how great they were.

Kid

Posted by: Dobril ()
Date: September 17, 2005 03:09

Rolling Stones are not only the best rockandroll band in the world (of all time of course) nowadays - they are the greatest thing in the whole music nowadays, no matter for the particular style. Of course the sales of albums are not the utmost criterion but it is very very very nice when they also confirm this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-17 03:10 by Dobril.

Posted by: Dobril ()
Date: September 17, 2005 03:09

Rolling Stones are not only the best rockandroll band in the world (of all time of course) nowadays - they are the greatest thing in the whole music nowadays, no matter for the particular style. Of course the sales of albums are not the utmost criterion but it is very very very nice when they also confirm this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1293
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home