Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Darryl Jones should write a book
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 24, 2017 03:42

Man, he's played with Miles, the Stones, Sting, Madonna... Guy has probably got some insight and some stories!

Re: Darryl Jones should write a book
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 24, 2017 08:20

Gimmie Waddy's first .. the guys got the wit and da yarns ....
Imagine the tales from Wino days or would that be daze .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 24, 2017 08:23

I bet he had to sign a major NDA with the Stones camp prior to taking the job. I doubt he'd legally be allowed to divulge any juicy anecdotes.

Speaking of Darryl...is he married? Never heard anything about his private life before.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 24, 2017 11:46

'Black Men Can't Play Bass' - how I managed to be ten times less interesting than the great stone face, Bill Wyman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 24, 2017 13:30

Geez, what a disgusting comment!
If you don't like Darryl's bass playing, that's fine, but what has his skin colour got to do with it?!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 24, 2017 13:36

Just a joke like white men can't jump, relax. Maybe a cook book???

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: October 24, 2017 14:55

Eh, i think Darryl should be promoted to a official member like Ronnie was in the 90s
He deserves it, his playing has improved the band if you ask me.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 24, 2017 14:58

24FPS
'Black Men Can't Play Bass' - how I managed to be ten times less interesting than the great stone face, Bill Wyman.

grinning smiley

Even though I disagree, Darryl brought a stable groove to the Stones sound which they never had with Bill. Both are great in different ways.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 24, 2017 17:03

" never had a stable groove" with Bill?

confused smiley

listen to Bill much?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 24, 2017 17:08

I miss Bill, too.

But Charlie chose Darryl. Period.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 24, 2017 17:08

rebelhipi
Eh, i think Darryl should be promoted to a official member like Ronnie was in the 90s
He deserves it, his playing has improved the band if you ask me.

No. Never.

Date: October 24, 2017 17:22

Rockman
Gimmie Waddy's first .. the guys got the wit and da yarns ....
Imagine the tales from Wino days or would that be daze .....

That'd be good one too!

Date: October 24, 2017 17:23

keefriff99
I bet he had to sign a major NDA with the Stones camp prior to taking the job. I doubt he'd legally be allowed to divulge any juicy anecdotes.

Speaking of Darryl...is he married? Never heard anything about his private life before.

That might prevent gossip-type stuff, but he could still say interesting things.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 24, 2017 18:00

Björnulf should write a book.

Date: October 24, 2017 19:16

Send It To me
keefriff99

That might prevent gossip-type stuff, but he could still say interesting things.[/quote

99% of the 'interesting' stuff, including the music, happened before Darryl came along. Bill's Mandy Smith problem was the last big scandal. At least Ronnie's Russian waitress was of legal age, and Mick impregnating another really young woman in some far flung corner of the world is barely news anymore. Except for Mick, it's been mostly health scares.

Thank you MAINDEFENDER for getting the joke. I've never held Darryl's race against him. In fact I find it even more ironic that little Bill was funkier. Bill didn't provide a stable groove? Ah, ha, ha, ha.....

Remember in the late 70s when Bill was thinking of quitting then? And Keith said something like, "Great. We'll get somebody like Busta Cherry Jones and have a funky bass player." He never did get his Busta. I wonder if they even auditioned him? (He passed away in 1995). As for Darryl becoming a full time member, that should go to Chuck Leavell, who's been with them since the early 80s, before Darryl. I don't care for the 'Midnight Tinkler' myself, but he has manned his post longer.

If someone could explain to me what is so great, or even above average with Darryl's playing, I wouldn't be so harsh. I just don't hear where it adds anything. I love the 'Blue & Lonesome' album, but I just ignore the bass, as I have to on most of the music live and studio from '94 onward. Do a straight up comparison of the 'Blue & Lonesome' recording next to the recording of Bill backing Junior Wells, Buddy Guy & Muddy Waters at the '74 Montreaux Festival. Go ahead, I'll wait.

If there are big Darryl Jones fans out there, recommend some great jazz recording he was on with Miles or whomever. Sincerely. Because I'm thinking that Charlie okayed him because of his jazz chops, not his rock or blues chops, which I still haven't heard.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 24, 2017 19:20

Bjornulf should definitely write a book. I’ve stressed that many times over the years.

Still we need Waddy’s and Darryl’s. And Lisa.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 24, 2017 21:22

24FPS
Send It To me
keefriff99

That might prevent gossip-type stuff, but he could still say interesting things.[/quote

99% of the 'interesting' stuff, including the music, happened before Darryl came along. Bill's Mandy Smith problem was the last big scandal. At least Ronnie's Russian waitress was of legal age, and Mick impregnating another really young woman in some far flung corner of the world is barely news anymore. Except for Mick, it's been mostly health scares.

Thank you MAINDEFENDER for getting the joke. I've never held Darryl's race against him. In fact I find it even more ironic that little Bill was funkier. Bill didn't provide a stable groove? Ah, ha, ha, ha.....

Remember in the late 70s when Bill was thinking of quitting then? And Keith said something like, "Great. We'll get somebody like Busta Cherry Jones and have a funky bass player." He never did get his Busta. I wonder if they even auditioned him? (He passed away in 1995). As for Darryl becoming a full time member, that should go to Chuck Leavell, who's been with them since the early 80s, before Darryl. I don't care for the 'Midnight Tinkler' myself, but he has manned his post longer.

If someone could explain to me what is so great, or even above average with Darryl's playing, I wouldn't be so harsh. I just don't hear where it adds anything. I love the 'Blue & Lonesome' album, but I just ignore the bass, as I have to on most of the music live and studio from '94 onward. Do a straight up comparison of the 'Blue & Lonesome' recording next to the recording of Bill backing Junior Wells, Buddy Guy & Muddy Waters at the '74 Montreaux Festival. Go ahead, I'll wait.

If there are big Darryl Jones fans out there, recommend some great jazz recording he was on with Miles or whomever. Sincerely. Because I'm thinking that Charlie okayed him because of his jazz chops, not his rock or blues chops, which I still haven't heard.

if I may, 24FPS, Darryl's contribution is as much the kind of person he is, as it is musical. Being a highly skilled pro bassist isnt really what got him the gig..

I think they just generally liked him. He plays in the pocket, and so provides that strength with Charlie.

You havent been able to see any value in his playing, because you admire Bill so.. and I understand and respect that.

I recently went through a re-appreciation of Bill's playing, which Ive always loved anyway. I think Keith is a really good bass player too, but thats another story...

Darryl's value is in his consistency and his loyalty, imo.. and give him props for not trying to imitate Bill.. that could never be done.

Date: October 24, 2017 21:34

I don't get how people look at a musician that was good enough for Miles, good enough for Charlie & Keith, and good enough for Sting, and say "he's not good." Um, ok. You might prefer Bill and that's a different matter, but to say he's not skilled - come on. It's a different sound with Bill and Darryl and I like both sounds for different reasons.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 24, 2017 21:40

24FPS
Send It To me
keefriff99

That might prevent gossip-type stuff, but he could still say interesting things.

I've been playing bass now for 31+ years. I won't be the one to explain Darryl's greatness to you though. I don't hear it either.

At the same time, I'm not going to diminish his role in the band. Clearly, he has been a critical piece in the puzzle that has allowed the Stones to stay a functioning band for those of us who enjoy hearing them these past 20+ years. I myself never saw the Stones live with Bill so I'm thankful that Darryl has been with them as they've carried on since Bill left.

Often I wonder if, when it came time to make the final decision on the new bass player, Charlie didn't think as much musically as he did professionally and politically. I remember hearing over the years phrases along the lines of "they all sounded the same", "a good hang", "Keith's guy/Mick's guy". I often wonder if Charlie simply picked a guy with an impressive resume who would be a good hang without causing any drama by being a "_______ guy".

Note: I have no "insider" information to back up these thoughts. Just 4/5 of a lifetime working and dealing with musicians and knowing that, in a band, there are many decisions that are made that aren't always based on music, and "the band" sometimes comes second to "the brand".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 24, 2017 21:42

JumpingKentFlash
Bjornulf should definitely write a book. I’ve stressed that many times over the years.

Still we need Waddy’s and Darryl’s. And Lisa.

And Alan Dunn, Jane Rose....and Astrid Wyman.

Date: October 24, 2017 21:52

duke richardson
if I may, 24FPS, Darryl's contribution is as much the kind of person he is, as it is musical. Being a highly skilled pro bassist isnt really what got him the gig..

I think they just generally liked him. He plays in the pocket, and so provides that strength with Charlie.

You havent been able to see any value in his playing, because you admire Bill so.. and I understand and respect that.

I recently went through a re-appreciation of Bill's playing, which Ive always loved anyway. I think Keith is a really good bass player too, but thats another story...

Darryl's value is in his consistency and his loyalty, imo.. and give him props for not trying to imitate Bill.. that could never be done.

Sounds like many of the thoughts that I've heard rattling in my head over the past few months... ESPECIALLY the lines I bolded.

This summer was a bit of a revelation to me with regards to Bill's playing. After listening to it for years, it was quite an eye/ear-opening experience to actually study and analyze it. I'm in 100% agreement that Bill could never have been imitated...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 24, 2017 22:12

Cheers, Mr DJA, yes, same thoughts..

thumbs up

we had to do some Bill study, homework/preparation, for the IORR Band shows !

I never really did before, other than the his lines on the studio 'Under My Thumb", and a few other lines he played, but once on the trail, his work just gets more and more interesting and rewarding, for a bass player.

that said, watching and listening to Darryl in Havana Moon, and Ole Ole Ole, gave me a new respect for him, because I could hear him better. I think he provides a lot of subtle shading, never bringing the focus on himself..

I remember you wrote that Bill's playing was like a third weaver. Right on!

Date: October 24, 2017 22:15

Is it really a good thing that Darryl doesn't imitate Bill's bass lines? They are an integral part of those songs, as iconic as Keith's riffs. Since Darryl doesn't add anything of note to the Stones sound, and is really just a hired gun, shouldn't he be trying to replicate the sound as closely as possible? That's how it is in most Heritage Bands like the Stones. It's vexing to listen to because I keep thinking, 'The note goes here! Just anchor a freakin' note!' It's almost a repudiation of what Bill created for those songs.

It has become increasingly clear that this is an unwinnable battle. The Stones were always a chemistry band. The whole was always must greater than the individual parts. That's why I think even Mick, or Keith, have not been that successful as solo artists. It's also why successful Stones covers are rare, as it was the very sound created by five individuals that people crave. That chain continued through Brian, Mick Taylor & on through Ronnie Wood. It was finally broken with the little thought that went into Bill's replacement musically. Maybe they never 'got' Bill either.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 24, 2017 23:36

I agree with you, 24FPS. Darryl will never be anything but a hired hand. Like the backup singers. He might be perfect for a fusion jazz band but he doesn't fit in with The Stones. And never will.
He has detracted to the overall sound rather than added something. He is simply not a rock and roll bassist. I'm sure he's technically superior to Bill - but that is not what it is about.

Date: October 24, 2017 23:48

>>He has detracted to the overall sound rather than added something<<

hmmm

i guess Mick, Keith, Ronnie, and Charlie especially, aren't noticing that.

Date: October 25, 2017 00:21

24FPS
Is it really a good thing that Darryl doesn't imitate Bill's bass lines? They are an integral part of those songs, as iconic as Keith's riffs. Since Darryl doesn't add anything of note to the Stones sound, and is really just a hired gun, shouldn't he be trying to replicate the sound as closely as possible? That's how it is in most Heritage Bands like the Stones. It's vexing to listen to because I keep thinking, 'The note goes here! Just anchor a freakin' note!' It's almost a repudiation of what Bill created for those songs.

It has become increasingly clear that this is an unwinnable battle. The Stones were always a chemistry band. The whole was always must greater than the individual parts. That's why I think even Mick, or Keith, have not been that successful as solo artists. It's also why successful Stones covers are rare, as it was the very sound created by five individuals that people crave. That chain continued through Brian, Mick Taylor & on through Ronnie Wood. It was finally broken with the little thought that went into Bill's replacement musically. Maybe they never 'got' Bill either.

I think you may be somewhat accurate in your thought that "they never 'got' Bill either".

I personally think it is a very good thing that Darryl didn't try to imitate Bill's lines as, for them to work the way they did when they were recorded, Keith & Ronnie would have to be imitating THEIR recorded lines as well... Which they clearly don't aside from an approximation of a signature into lick from time to time.

What Bill did as a bass player was VERY uncommon in my opinion. As Duke mentioned above, for all the talk of Keith & Ronnie and the 'ancient form of weaving', it wasn't just them who were weaving their lines. Bill was weaving bass lines in and around their parts consistently and VERY much so when it came to live versions of songs. As I studied this summer, I was very surprised to realize how much of the time that Bill was jumping between playing a "bass line" and covering a "rhythm guitar part". It was one of the hardest parts of his playing for me to try and contemplate replicating with the IORR band live. Ultimately I told myself that, not even Bill duplicated his studio lines live and I (and the IORR band) would be better served if I just approximated Bill's parts "in the style of" and "with the essence of" Bill Wyman. Believe me, it wasn't easy. That guy uses more 2nds, 3rds and 6ths than just about any rock & roll bass player I've ever studied.

More later if necessary! Thanks to Duke & ErwinH and the rest of the guys in the IORR Band for our conversations this summer! I've learned much by hanging out with you guys!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 25, 2017 00:30

duke richardson
>>He has detracted to the overall sound rather than added something<<

hmmm

i guess Mick, Keith, Ronnie, and Charlie especially, aren't noticing that.

I'd guess that Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie would laugh at that statement. Me, I'll merely chuckle.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 25, 2017 01:35

Probably the reason he has played with so many greats is that he keeps his mouth shut and wouldn't write a book.
Plus a book would cost him his job -- he makes more in a single tour than he would writing a book that only diehards would read.
They didn't need another personality in the band, just a solid player.
Like others have said, I don't think they really 'got' Bill Wyman, either. They were playing with him since they were practically teen-agers and you know, for all those years they probably just assumed that's what all bass players did. I am pretty sure Keith didn't really appreciate Bill until he was gone.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 25, 2017 02:02

Darryl Jones IS the Stones nowadays. Wihtout him the Stones sound would have fallen apart the last decade. I think we all have enjoyed countless hours of Stones music enriched by his talent. Give him some respect.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 25, 2017 02:16

TheBlockbuster
Darryl Jones IS the Stones nowadays. Wihtout him the Stones sound would have fallen apart the last decade. I think we all have enjoyed countless hours of Stones music enriched by his talent. Give him some respect.
That's a silly statement. Darryl is a very accomplished bassist but there are hundreds of professionally-trained session musicians who could do Darryl's job competently.

MICK is the Stones nowadays if anything.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2303
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home