Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - HOWL
Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: September 16, 2005 04:46

Read a review of this. Never heard them before. Sounded interesting, so bought it.

Downright stunning.

What an awesome album.

Lotsa slow cooking acoustic stuff. Hard to describe, apart from raw, emotional, emotive and REAL.

Hard to beleive I have never heard of them. Apparently their other records are louder and electric? Anyone confirm that? This record - HOWL -is just painfully beautiful to listen to, it's taken ABB off ALL my CD players, at least for this weekend!!

Rod

Re: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - HOWL
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 16, 2005 04:54

Thgese guys are tough. Haven't heard the one you mention. I have all their other releases.

Posted by: Jack Flash ()
Date: September 16, 2005 05:40

I also bought this album because of a review I read. You are absolutely correct. Howl is one of the best albums of the past few years. I never heard any of their music prior to this, so I bought their first album. It isn't anything like the new one, and from what I read, their second album is like the first. The first two sound like a mix between Jesus and Mary Chain and The Velvet Underground.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 29, 2005 13:30

I saw them in a small club at the beginning of their career.
It was maybe before their debut album was released. Anyway, this new album is something completely different. Because the label sacked them, they did something different and released it themselves.
Their first two albums were dark, loud and indeed very jesus & mary chain-like, but melodic.

Howl has a good vibe to it, but I think it lacks truly excellent songwriting and therefore also runs too long. But I admire their guts.
And the albumpackage is cool, especially the backside which is like those 60s albums.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 29, 2005 14:31

Agree with bowiestone. The album runs too long. Since my other post I have since gotten this album. Man, what a departure from their old style. Excellent.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 29, 2005 16:45

Cool album with lots of nice bleusy, laid back songs on it. Totally different from their first two that rocked hard!
Saw them at a festival in Holland a couple of years ago. Pretty tough!

e.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 29, 2005 16:55

Very good album. Other non-Stones stuff I've been listening to lately includes the latest from the White Stripes, Green Day, Beck, the Black Keys and the Hives. Anyone who likes Howl will probably dig those as well.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 29, 2005 20:07

saw black rebel motorcycle club in 2000 in new orleans...they put me to sleep...pretentious velvet underground imitators

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-29 20:11 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: September 29, 2005 21:35

an amazing band, I saw them in Paradiso, Amsterdam and was flabbergasted.....

Posted by: Jack Flash ()
Date: September 29, 2005 22:51

And for anyone who loves this band, check out The Warlocks, especially their new disc "Surgery".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home