Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones presents....
Posted by: Jack Flash ()
Date: September 16, 2005 01:35

I'm thinking about ordering this disc just because it's a Stones related album and next to Bill's solo stuff, it's the only one I don't have. Is it any good or am I going to waste my money? I mean, Wingless Angels is great, but I'm a little skeptical about this one.

Re: Brian Jones presents....
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: September 16, 2005 01:43

I bought This album "Brian Jones presents The Pipers of Jojouka" about 10 years ago.

It was the first CD issue, and the sound quality is not terrible, but it is a great collector´s item for sure!

I have been told that a new release with a remastered sound has been released and I will buy as well.

Well it has nothing, but nothing at all to do with typical Stones stuff.

Even Continental Drift (that I think is a fantastice track, as well as Steel Wheels all together) has been a great production and composition job of bringing something absolutely raw, tribal, mystical, into a modern and produced sound, mixed with some stones feeling underneath...!

Nice observation uh...

:-)

If you´re loooking into going for a trip in the Atlas in Morocco (12 hours by car from Lisbon) and get into the mystical hashish trip as they do...

well you´ll enjoy for sure!

I hope this post will help you!

Cheers!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 16, 2005 01:43

if you're talking Joujouka here - you'll likely be disappointed unless you have utter fascination with pan pipe players from Morrocco.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 16, 2005 01:44

Is this the Pipes of Pan?

Don't waste your money if you think it is Stones related.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 16, 2005 02:07

BJ Presents the Pipes of Pan at Joujouka is in my all time top 10 list: it is intense, cathartic ritual music by what William Burroughs called "a 1,000 year old rock & roll band" - if you have only heard the MMOJ on "Continental Drift" - this is a more relentless & overpowering musical experience. The first half is structured by Brian from a far longer series into a 22 minute suite that starts hard & sinewy & gathers momentum until it sounds like a literal cataclysm, very hallucinatory, w/ thousands of shrieking Moslems, evoked by the driving percussion & shrieking oboe-like instruments which maintain notes & harmonics for minutes on end thanks to "circular breathing" techniques. It will drive your neighbors crazy. The last US edition lacks the original 1971 RS label's beautiful cover art, but has excellent liner notes (1995, Point Music, overseen by Philip Glass).

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: September 16, 2005 02:09

Buy Bill's stuff!

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Date: September 16, 2005 02:17

If you have tastes outside rock & roll & want to explore some potent hoodoo, check it out.

Date: September 16, 2005 02:32

I bought the LP when it was released in the 1970s. I liked having it but could not get into it. Maybe now, it would sound more up-to-date with lots of 'dance' drums mixed in. Sort of a 'Pipers of Jojouka Remix'. :-)

Date: September 16, 2005 02:40

There are lots of MMOJ cds out there - Brian really tried to convey the intensity of the 3-day rituals, & got close, where most other subsequent albums went for shorter pieces recorded in studios. BJ Presents was recorded (very well, with Let it Bleed/Led Zep engineer George Chkiantz) out on the hills, w/ ambient sounds in softer passages (barking dogs, a seemingly competing 'women's group' in the distance) - these guys also had a big influence on jazz musicians like Ornette Coleman (who visited & recorded w/ them on his '77 "Dancing In My Head" album) & Randy Weston. Anyone who digs, say, Keith's great "Wingless Angels" album w/ Juston Hines etc should be open to the beauty of this music. I certainly would not have appreciated it as a kid.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 16, 2005 02:45

And for our next number...me and the pipers are gonna bang the pipe drums even harder and louder than the last one.........and don't forget BRIAN JONES FROM THE ROLLING STONES arranged this number...

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 16, 2005 14:33

Well worth ordering.Bachir Attar the son of the original Master musician still hangs out in Jajouka and tours with his pipers.They have recorded some interesting stuff over the years,particularly with Ornette Coleman.If your ever in Morocco pay the guys a visit.Their very hospitable,particularly the Kiff pipes!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 16, 2005 14:36

have you been to Jajouka, stargroover? you sound like youre speaking from (pleasant) experience!

I was in tangier for a day 3 years ago and might have gone out there had I had more time..I presume its close to the city. Great place!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1406
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home