Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lucky to be a Stones fan
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 20, 2017 05:52

I don't post much, but I felt an uncontrollable urge to reverse-rant right now.

I was thinking about how lucky we are to be fans of the Rolling Stones.

They're the greatest rock band in history. They're alive. They're together, and they've existed as a band for over half a century. They're playing gigs on a regular basis. They're still rocking out at a very high level musically. They came out with a great blues record last year and they should come out with an all-new album next year. It's just incredible to me.

The fact that we can watch live streams, and/or go on YouTube just hours after a performance anywhere in the world and get a taste of the music for the price of an internet connection still amazes me as well. Back in the '90's I paid 20 bucks for a bootleg cassette tape of a 1989 show that sounded like it had been recorded at the bottom of a trash can from across the street. Now, I can sit here and listen to the Rolling Stones playing in Paris just a few hours after they left the stage, delivered right to my living room.

I'm so glad that the Stones are so good about releasing official live stuff, and seemingly always have been. I loved Sweet Summer Sun and Havana Moon, and look forward to seeing Live at the Fonda soon. As much as I love seeing and hearing videos immediately after a show, I like to hear a good recording and see some professional camerawork (without the strobe light editing, please!)

My second favorite band of all time is the Ramones, who didn't even get started until the Stones were already one of the elder bands on the rock scene. All the original Ramones are dead now, so I absolutely don't take for granted the good luck that the Stones are here, that they're still rolling after all these years, and that I'm also here to experience it.

It's amazing and great and fantastic and incredible.

Thank you Rolling Stones and all the Stones fans for sharing their pictures, videos, and stories.

Re: Lucky to be a Stones fan
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2017 06:10

Keep on Rolling...smileys with beer

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 20, 2017 06:58

Extremely fortunate indeed.
They've outlived a lot of bands and a lot of their fans as well.

Always remember my older brother(RIP) insisting I become a fan at a very early age.. so grateful to the band for all the memories- with more yet to be made!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 21, 2017 00:33

I will drink to that smileys with beer Cheers mate

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 21, 2017 00:57

Well spoken jahisnotdead! Amen to that!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 21, 2017 03:05

Well said jahisnotdead.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 21, 2017 03:19

Agrreed! It's great to be a Stones fan these days. It's amazing to have 1080p HD widescreen videos on youtube from every single show. Just think about if this kind of footage had been available from every show in 1973, or why not in 1999 or 2003. It would have been mind boggling to see all those stellar performances in HD just hours after the show back then.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 21, 2017 05:20

Very true and well said.

The Ramones are the complete opposite end of the spectrum...a very sad story. Joey and Johnny died of cancer and Dee Dee overdosed all in a 3-year period (2001-2004), and then Tommy died of cancer in 2014.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 21, 2017 10:56

keefriff99
The Ramones are the complete opposite end of the spectrum...a very sad story. Joey and Johnny died of cancer and Dee Dee overdosed all in a 3-year period (2001-2004), and then Tommy died of cancer in 2014.

Somehow, the Ramones singing/performing Rock And Roll High School in their seventies just wouldn't have been right.

Whereas you can sing/perform Love In Vain and Time Is On My Side, etc., even Honky Tonk Women and all the rest, until you're about ready to drop.

Blues ages well, punk rock not so much.

Posted by: vinckske ()
Date: October 21, 2017 11:52

I became a fan in september 1977 , never thought I still would see their shows in 2017.
Yes we are lucky.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

smileys with beer

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 21, 2017 14:07

"...I became a fan in september 1977..."

Did you hear "Love You Live" album then? Or some older Stones stuff? Just curious.

Posted by: vinckske ()
Date: October 21, 2017 14:15

laertisflash
"...I became a fan in september 1977..."

Did you hear "Love You Live" album then? Or some older Stones stuff? Just curious.

An uncle of mine gave me "Stones Story", the Dutch/Belgian equivalent of "Rolled Gold".
I was 14 years old , It blew my mind , I became a die hard fan instantly...

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 21, 2017 14:36

I bacame a fan in 1987 as a child. Its part of my life.
But its hard seeing them fade away

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 21, 2017 15:17

Lucky in love ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 21, 2017 16:35

its great the stones are still rolling, but lets not be too sad when they quit

i dont want them to continue for much longer. be good to get 3-5 years from them, but please dont be doing it when your over 80 years old, it dosent seem right.

and when they do stop, we have all got so much to look back on.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 21, 2017 17:21

jahisnotdead
I don't post much, but I felt an uncontrollable urge to reverse-rant right now.

I was thinking about how lucky we are to be fans of the Rolling Stones.

They're the greatest rock band in history. They're alive. They're together, and they've existed as a band for over half a century. They're playing gigs on a regular basis. They're still rocking out at a very high level musically. They came out with a great blues record last year and they should come out with an all-new album next year. It's just incredible to me.

The fact that we can watch live streams, and/or go on YouTube just hours after a performance anywhere in the world and get a taste of the music for the price of an internet connection still amazes me as well. Back in the '90's I paid 20 bucks for a bootleg cassette tape of a 1989 show that sounded like it had been recorded at the bottom of a trash can from across the street. Now, I can sit here and listen to the Rolling Stones playing in Paris just a few hours after they left the stage, delivered right to my living room.

I'm so glad that the Stones are so good about releasing official live stuff, and seemingly always have been. I loved Sweet Summer Sun and Havana Moon, and look forward to seeing Live at the Fonda soon. As much as I love seeing and hearing videos immediately after a show, I like to hear a good recording and see some professional camerawork (without the strobe light editing, please!)

My second favorite band of all time is the Ramones, who didn't even get started until the Stones were already one of the elder bands on the rock scene. All the original Ramones are dead now, so I absolutely don't take for granted the good luck that the Stones are here, that they're still rolling after all these years, and that I'm also here to experience it.

It's amazing and great and fantastic and incredible.

Thank you Rolling Stones and all the Stones fans for sharing their pictures, videos, and stories.

Lucky? To me (knowing the Stones almost 54 years ...) that is an "understatement", but a very nice "understatement"! There's not a week passing by in which I do not say to myself "why me???". It's like an amazing dream.
In 1973, when I had no choice but taking a train to Hamburg (from Holland) I thought it would be my last Rolling Stones concert, because I would be "away" for at least two years ... it's what I now call "a different perception of time" cool smiley
Yes, Jahisnotdead, we are indeed very, very lucky!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 21, 2017 22:20

...Yes...!!...we are lucky...a big thank you to the Stones...

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 21, 2017 22:48

Stones fans are indeed far luckier than Dead fans. Although the "other ones" have been putting on shows here and there since Jerry's passing, they never play outside of the US.

Dead fans do have the advantage as far as setlists go, though. The Dead have put out litterally hundreds of live albums and you'll never see the same setlist twice!

@Jah: what is the best live Ramones official release? (I'm a casual fan, I only have their greatest hits but enjoy the hell out of it!)

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 21, 2017 23:32

deardoctor
I bacame a fan in 1987 as a child. Its part of my life.
But its hard seeing them fade away
I'm a fan since 1982 and I'm glad they do not fade away -
they are going on a high with bing bang and fireworks. This tour is
is proving that.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: October 22, 2017 06:31

Amen. Love the Stones. Lightens my load.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 25, 2017 23:35

FrogSugar
@Jah: what is the best live Ramones official release? (I'm a casual fan, I only have their greatest hits but enjoy the hell out of it!)

Hi FrogSugar!

I'd say the best live Ramones album is "Loco Live". Marky and C.J. fill out the sound a bit better, IMHO. It's a great setlist and excellent performance by Joey. I'd stay away from "We're Outta Here", feels like there's bad sound problems and Joey often pushes his vocals too far and just ends up growling.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 25, 2017 23:40

thumbs up

Hey Ho Let's Go

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home