Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Burning question about a 70s Stones concert aired on TV
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 7, 2017 01:42

It was probably in 1977 or perhaps early 1978. Out of the blue, a complete Rolling Stones concert was aired on TV and I don't think I ever saw it again. Of course nobody had VCRs back then. What show was this and what happened to the tape?

I seem to remember that the stage was wide but very shallow, like they were playing backed up against a wall. It was a pretty bare minimalist setup. It had to be from 1976, I am pretty sure of that. I am sure it was not 1975. The one thing that I can remember distinctly was that at the end of the show Mick and possibly Ollie pulled out the dragon's head prop attached to the slinky tube. They pointed it upwards and it sent up a mushroom cloud of confetti that rained down on the audience.

The show came on TV and then it vanished. I have seen clips from the 1976 Paris show and I am 100% sure it was not that show.

If anybody can clear up the mystery for me I would appreciate it!

Re: Burning question about a 70s Stones concert aired on TV
Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: October 7, 2017 01:51

In which country was it broadcast ?

Date: October 7, 2017 01:53

guezeg
In which country was it broadcast ?

Canada but I can't remember if it was on a Canadian channel or on a US channel.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 7, 2017 01:54

There are some mystery Stones shows indeed ! I remember seeing a Stones show being played on TV while we were waiting for a ferry in Zeebrugge in 1982. Pretty sure it was not Paris 1976 either...not Ladies & Gentlemen either as it was more "colorful".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 7, 2017 02:04

One of the Wembley 1973 shows was also supposedly aired on BBC in the 70's.

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: October 7, 2017 03:43

it was broadcast on the CTV network and was from the Paris '76 shows.
I remember watching it also, and finding it funny that the song titles were on the screen at the beginning of each song. I don't think it was the complete show.
Street Fighting Man
[youtu.be]

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 7, 2017 04:39

The 2 DVD bootleg is called "Aux Abbatoirs" ("to the slaughterhouse"), and contains both the broadcast version and the complete show.

Date: October 7, 2017 05:55

fyp933
I remember watching it also, and finding it funny that the song titles were on the screen at the beginning of each song. I don't think it was the complete show.
Street Fighting Man
[youtu.be]

Thanks for solving the mystery. Of course the memory is not so good from 40 years ago and I thought that it wasn't the Paris show. I find the setup in that Aux Abbatoirs show to be a very dark and deep expanse and I didn't remember it like that in my mind.

And of course Mick Jagger was in self-parody mode and I found his whole attitude with the "horsing around" business to be really lame. And his singing was almost as bad as in 1975. Thank god Mickey woke up by the time 1978 rolled around.

Anyway, I will consider the case to be closed with tinges of disappointment because I thought that it was something else. The fact that you saw it too makes a big difference.

On a side note, I remember being literally terrorized as a young child when the Outer Limits would come on. Half the time I would have to turn off the TV I was so afraid. And then 40 years later I watched episodes that I remember watching as a child and they turned out to be not so scary after all! Bummer man! moody smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 7, 2017 09:50

About this time there was a one off Stones concert played on Channel 7 in Perth. It was quite late at night. I never saw it advertised. Nor again.

But what really struck me about it was the fact that Starf****r was played in full and uncensored. Australia in those days (and some would say even NOW!) was very conservative and had not yet relaxed it's broadcasting rules which now say that after 830pm on mainstream TV it is acceptable for swearing to occur. In those days though, no way!!

It was a great show. But I do not know what or where it was recorded.

Rod

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 8, 2017 00:37

fyp933
Street Fighting Man
[youtu.be]

That was pretty cool. No Charlie, one second of Bill, but still cool.

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: October 8, 2017 00:45

RaiseTheKnife
One of the Wembley 1973 shows was also supposedly aired on BBC in the 70's.

Sadly that never happened.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1670
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home