Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bitching about the setlist? What exactly is it you want?
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 15, 2005 15:08

Are they just lazy sticking to the warhorses or do they really believe people are still up for them?I am getting bored with them.Boys you need to dig deep into your back catalogue.Forget miss you,start me up,brown sugar,iorr,satisfaction.Dust off Around and around.Air winter,sway,down in a hole, and more new stuff.Take note of Sir Bob and put the excitement back.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 15, 2005 15:28

My bitching about the setlist (so far) is that they're touring on the back of a strong new album and so far rely more than 90% on oldies, or let's say 'warhorses'. If they do not want to change the setlist around too much - ok. Of they do not want to dig deeper into their rich catalogue and unearth songs they have never played before or at least songs that weren't played since a long, long time, ok.

But just Rough Justice, ONNYA and Infamy in the regular set is just a little bit disappointing. Back Of My Hand seems to slip from the regular setlist and slowly becomes a "surprise" novelty.

Folks, in 1981 the setlist was more or less the same every night, but back then they had Black Limousine, Neighbours, Waiting On A Friend, Little T&A, Hang Fire and Start Me Up in their regular set every night. That's SIX (!!!) songs from the then-new Tattoo You album. And they did FIVE songs from Some Girls (When The Whip Comes Down, Shattered, Just My Imagination, Beast Of Burden, Miss You) and another TWO from Emotional Rescue (Let me Go and She's So Cold).

If I counted right, they did 13 songs every night from their last three albums back in 1981 - that's why they sounded so fresh, even when their setlist was rarely changed during that tour.

Now it's 3-4 new songs and the rest - sorry, I hate to say it - a very predictable oldies show. So far, of course.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 15, 2005 17:17

the 1981 setlist also regularly featured many old songs that had not been played in many many years or in a couple of cases not ever (time is on my side, Lets spend the night together, let it bleed), a couple of unreleased covers (Go Go, 20 flight rock) and they had the balls to drop a lot of their best known hits (they played nothing from GHS, IORR and Black and Blue and dropped SFTD, IORR, Street fighting man (mostly), Angie (until near the end of the European tour)

Not too many complaints as I recall. But then their audience knew the band's material back then and everyone who bought a ticket was a fan, and not there as part of a corporate package ;-).

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: September 15, 2005 17:45

Well,here is mine....

1-Oh no not you again
2-She's so cold
3-Tumbling dice
4-Dancing with Mr D
5-Sway
6-Sweet Neo Con
7-Fool to cry
8-19th Nervous breakdown
9-Gimme shelter
10-Stray cat blues
11- (Keith) Can't be seen
12-(Keith) Infamy
13- B stage:driving too fast
14- B stageconfused smileytreet Fighting Man
15- B stage:Love is strong
16-Out of control
17-Satisfaction
18-Honky Tonk Women
19-Midnight rambler
20-Brown sugar
21-IORR

22-(encore) Jumping Jack Flash

Would be more than satisfied with this setlist!!!!!

Posted by: Rolling1 ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:10

ok here's my wish list

1 - When the Whip comes down
2 - She's so cold
3 - Tumbling dice
4 - Dancing with Mr D
5 - You got to Move
6 - Fingerprint File
7 - Dead Flowers
8 - 19th Nervous breakdown
9 - Gimme shelter
10 - Stray cat blues
11 - (Keith) Happy
12 - (Keith) Infamy
13 - B stage: Jump on Top of Me
14 - B stage: Get off my Cloud
15 - B stage: Route 66
16 - B stage (4th song): Respectable
17 - Satisfaction
18 - Out of Control
19 - Midnight rambler
20 - Bitch
21 - IORR

they can throw onnya off the show, its not a b-stage song.... my option it took the crowd down a little at chicago.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 15, 2005 18:38

Accepting new bitchers enlistments over here on the left. please form a single line.....welcome, Paul....

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 15, 2005 19:31

they are playing it safe, if you cant realize that then you are
as they say , a casual fan

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 15, 2005 20:51

Rough Justice...It wont take long...Stray cat blues...Please go home...Let me go...Let me down slow...Torn & Frayed...Oh No, not you again...driving too fast...Miss Amanda Jones...I'm Going down...Empty Heart...the last time...off the hook...dead flowers...child of the moon...stupid girl...connection...she saw me coming...Crazy mama...rocks off...all down the line

Date: September 15, 2005 20:55

horrible setlist, Leonard! Where are the warhorses? I want my money back - these guys just play to the hard-core fans these days and not to the unwashed masses anymore. this band sucks.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 15, 2005 21:01

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the 1981 setlist also regularly featured many old
> songs that had not been played in many many years
> or in a couple of cases not ever (time is on my
> side, Lets spend the night together, let it
> bleed), a couple of unreleased covers (Go Go, 20
> flight rock) and they had the balls to drop a lot
> of their best known hits (they played nothing from
> GHS, IORR and Black and Blue and dropped SFTD,
> IORR, Street fighting man (mostly), Angie (until
> near the end of the European tour)
>
> Not too many complaints as I recall. But then
> their audience knew the band's material back then
> and everyone who bought a ticket was a fan, and
> not there as part of a corporate package ;-).

Yep, and in cases where they re-worked classic songs, they really worked in their new arrangements...like Under My Thumb, Let's Spend The Night Together, Time Is On My Side...nowadays re-working means "playing slower" (Last Time during BTB, 19th Nervous Breakdown now).

And, if you were extremely lucky, they pulled rarities like Mona, Down The Road Apiece and Tops out of the hat back in 1981...
...nowadays, if you're extremely lucky, you might get Ruby Tuesday, All Down The Line, Bitch, Waiting On A Friend, Paint It Black (anyone bidding for Gimme Shelter to show up soon?)---nothing against them, but they have been played in recent years, so they're not really rare...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-15 21:03 by retired_dog.

Date: September 15, 2005 21:07

i've sort of given up on hoping/expecting any more rarities to show up, frankly, which makes me wonder why the hell they even bothered with the 3-4 weeks of rehearsals. but, i am really still hoping if not expecting more ABB songs make the grade...otherwise this tour will definitely go down as their most disappointing (from a pure SETLIST perspective) tour ever....for me, anyway. My excitement about tours includes collecting the shows, which is partially predicated on the notion that each show offers something unique or rare.

I think the comments recently noted on this board regarding Mick's response to Sway (assuming they're accurate) tell a telling story about this band: they are not very adventurous anymore. My hunch is that the Sway story could be applied to many other old chestnuts that just didn't gel on first or second take and were summarily abandoned.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 15, 2005 21:08

t & a...with tongue planted firmly in cheek!!! best to all you stonesniks...setlist: we can only dream

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home