Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: about Prince (thanks, Nikolai!)
Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: September 14, 2005 21:10

Hi Nikolai, perhaps you remember guiding me through the works of Prince last fall. Thought I'd let you know that it worked perfectly, he's been my main discovery of the year. Favourites up to now (apart from Purple and Signs of course) are 'Parade' and 'Around the world in a Day'. Man, 'Temptation' is the ultimate thing!
Prince is just as smart and funny as they come, he really created a universe, both lyrically and musically. I always have a preference for things which are very moving but in a detached and humorous way (hi Jagger) and obviously I have to laugh my head off on 'If I was your girlfriend', 'International Lover' or 'Pop life' while feeling that something big is being hinted at as well. Fabulous. How could I bypass Prince for so long?
Well thanks for clueing me in!

Re: OT: about Prince (thanks, Nikolai!)
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 14, 2005 22:48

A lot of people pass him over because most of his singles are sort of silly songs (Little Red Corvette) but he was pure genius.

The way he took so many old soul and R&b riffs and hooks and re-newed and refreshed them is amazing. He also manufactured a terriffic image for himself.

Try to get a hold of the 3 disc set of greatest hits. There is one disc full of unreleased songs and outtakes. Great funk songs like Scarlet Pussy and Shockadelica are on it.There is also a cool live version of Nothing COmpares To you and a gfreat song called Pink Cashmere.

The other discs that don't get a lot of credit are Emancipation and LoveSexy.His latest disc was a bit of a let down.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: September 14, 2005 22:51

Cheers for the tip, I'll check out the greatest hits. Oh and I really enjoy lovesexy. Great stuff. I enjoy lots of lastest stuff, 'Gold', 'Love Symbol', even 'Black nigga', although I still prefer the 1999-Lovesexy period.
I guess the more I grow into a true fan, the better I'll dig the rest, like I do for Voodoo Lounge or ABB!

The other thing I want to do is get some bootlegs of his legendary 'afters'.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 15, 2005 10:09

Parade is absolutely amazing!

By the way there are some truly great boots of the latest NPG live.

Prince is incredible: he was able to record some of the best music of the last 25 years, live he is there with the greatest (I sill consider the sign o times tour the ultimate live experience, stones aside) BUT he is also guilty for releasing some of the worst s... recorded ever!!!

C

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: September 15, 2005 10:36

Prince is my second next to stones for 20 years now; he's a genius, check out the non-commercial work:
One nite alone
Crystal Ball
Rainbow Children
Chaos and disorder

and of course the boots and the new material he brings out only through www.npgmusicclub.org >>

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 15, 2005 10:44

Little Red Corvette a silly song?
That's one of his best singles - ever!

When he still called himself Prince was the best era. You can't go wrong (not when he re-named himself Prince, Musicology is one of his worst). But you should check out The Gold Experience from his symbol era. I don't know what it is in other countries, but you can't find it in the shops anymore here in Belgium. His best work of the 90s and it can compete with his best work.

Posted by: welded ()
Date: September 15, 2005 13:08

Check out "Dirty Mind" - its an old one - you can usually find it in the bargin bucket....but it rocks,

Date: September 15, 2005 17:26

I love Chaos and Disorder and the Gold Exeprience. In fact, with the exception of Musicology, I love everything he has done!

Date: September 15, 2005 19:16

Well, there are some flaws in his discography IMHO. I never liked For You & Prince in its entirety. But there are some good songs on those albums.
Musicology is one of his worst. I wasn't very intrested in n.e.w.s. either. Rave Un2 the joy Fantastic isn't good.
I'm not a big fan of Come, The Vault & Chaos and Disorder (half of the songs on those albums are great, but the other half is filler).

But his other albums are great or classic.

Date: September 15, 2005 19:39

Now that you mention it Bowiestone....I didn't like Rave either. What I meant about Little Red Corvette is that it's silly even the the subject matter is great! Like When Dove's Cry, it's sort of silly. But then you hear Computer Blue and you are blown away

Date: September 15, 2005 19:57

Little Red Corvette & When Doves Cry kinda proves his genius IMO. Brilliant compositions and performance.

...LOL... Computer Blue is my least favorite track on Purple Rain. How opinions can differ.

Date: September 15, 2005 20:10

"Wendy?"
"Yes Lisa"

"Is the water ready?"
"Yes Lisa"

"shall we begin?"
"Yes Lisa"

Pure magic smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1504
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home