Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

It matters not a jot to our american cousins but....
Date: September 13, 2005 02:24

ENGLAND HAVE REGAINED THE ASHES, and Mr Jagger for one will be seriously rueing the missed opportunity of not bieng at this momentous occassion

Re: It matters not a jot to our american cousins but....
Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: September 13, 2005 02:26

It's about time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2005 02:27

No Offense Capt. But what are you refering to ?

Date: September 13, 2005 02:29

switch the tv on lape.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 13, 2005 02:39

I don't have a tv here, what happened?

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: September 13, 2005 02:53

Ashes? That's something to be blown off the table. American football-- a wargame for the masses -- is back on the tube. Any number of hardcore American football fans can wax poetic about esoteric football terms -- they are collectively a group of sports nerds, but every sport has them. They may have never played the game, but can spout out memorized statistics and other meaningless trivia that no one except themselves give a sh*t about.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: September 13, 2005 05:10

It's cricket - always England v Australia. The Australians have won every series since '86 (I think - is that right Cap't?)

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 13, 2005 06:36

Arrrrrrrrrr, the Cap'n be right! Cricket's most glorious trophy has returned to its birth and rightful place! Arrrrr,there will be some rum drinkin' tonight!

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: September 13, 2005 10:23

why do the Brits call Americans their cousins? I thought they were from all over the place!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 13, 2005 11:01

I don't know my Ameican history that well but I think the Brits were the majority of the intial colonists (foreign invaders!), followed by the French and, ofcourse the Spannish in the south and west, (preceeded by the Spannish?)

The Scottish and Irish (at the time) were also British and there's heaps of their descendants in US and Canada. But they are not so good at Cricket as England.

Is their an Ameriacn cricket game?

Anyway, yes, a great game, a great series......and Shane Warne ....WHAT A GREAT GUY. (Would have loved it if Australia had had the chance to bat).

Posted by: yahozna ()
Date: September 13, 2005 11:27

Four Stone Walls Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know my Ameican history that well but I
> think the Brits were the majority of the intial
> colonists (foreign invaders!), followed by the
> French and, ofcourse the Spannish in the south and
> west, (preceeded by the Spannish?)
And don't forget the Dutch (who iirc traded New Amsterdam (New York) for Suriname with the English).

I am actually one of the few Dutch people who is very fond of cricket and I have been following The Ashes series very closely.
Up till 1993 I (like almost all Dutch people) didn't understand a thing about cricket and thought it was a silly game (I didn't even think of it as sport).
But then I started to actually try to understand the game and was flabbergasted by the then young Shane Warne, the Waugh brothers etc. I never thought the English players had much personality so I favoured the Aussie team.
In this series I have seen things change. Now England *do* have personalities (especially Pietersen & Flintoff) and although I still support the Aussies (it were they who converted me ;-) ) I think England fully deserved to win The Ashes.
It has been a great series and I can't wait to have the highlights DVD-set that's already in the making!

Congratulations England!

(my first post on IORR and immediately off-topic >:->> )

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: September 13, 2005 11:37

And do you know who the last person to @#$%& an Aussie and comne back with the ashes was ????

Paula Yates

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 13, 2005 12:09

lmao......priceless

Date: September 13, 2005 12:11

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ad ifinitum.

But I expect that you'll now have to explain who Paula Yates is.

Date: September 13, 2005 13:32

Jostorm NEVER has to explain herself...

Date: September 13, 2005 14:21

Agreed. No moral obligation whatsoever - but if a wider audience is to understand her humour she might 'have to' explain who Paula is.

Certainly Paula was less interested in men than for just their cricketing prowess.

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: September 13, 2005 23:42

....OK, Boys, due to unexpected public demand....

Paula Yates was Sir Bob Geldorf's wife. She used to present an excellent cutting-edge music programme on TV with Jools Holland. Then she was on a whacky TV morning programme called "The Big Breakfast", in which she used to interview celebrities while lying with them on her bed and outrageously flirting with them. One of those interviewees was Mick Hutchence, the Australian frontsinger of INXS. I happened to watch it, and it was obvious that they "clicked" in a big way, I expected them to start fullblown heavy petting on screen any second.... So ,Paula left Bob , and Mick left his then girlfriend Helena Christensen . They got married and had a daughter. Mick went on tour with INXS, and Paula wanted to follow with all her daughters. Bob put his foot down and wouldn't let his girls go, so Paula stayed in England. Mick was found dead soon after , hanging from his hotelroom door by a belt while touring in Australia (supposedly indulging in masturbation while having the belt asphyxiate him, what's wrong with having a simple wank, I ask???).Paula went to Australia for the funeral and returned with his ashes (I think). A few years later she overdosed on drugs in London, Sir Bob is raising his three daughters with Paula and also has custody over Mick and Paula's Tigerlilly.

Hope that this wasn't too much information and that I haven't hopelessly confused everyone now....

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 13, 2005 23:45

americans cricket game= baseball (distant relative) best to all

Date: September 14, 2005 00:23

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There be fun in the Inn

Posted by: mark ()
Date: September 14, 2005 01:48

Got to be carefull with statements like this. Football sites will have the same speach only substitute Stones refrences.

"fans can wax poetic about esoteric football terms -- they are collectively a group of sports nerds, but every sport has them. They may have never played the game, but can spout out memorized statistics and other meaningless trivia that no one except themselves give a sh*t about"

Let's try it:

Stones fans can wax poetic about esoteric Stones songs-- they are collectively a group of music nerds, but every genre of music has them. They may have never played an instrument, but can spout out memorized statistics and other meaningless trivia that no one except themselves give a sh*t about

That aside, not being a big fan of being a sports fan I see your point. I don't get sports fans and they don't get my Stones fanatisism. So I must not be a cricket fan but if this is good news I'm happy for the fans.

Date: September 14, 2005 02:09

I guess the humour is lost unless you were familair with Paula.

And Leonard Keringer, please don't confuse the great sport of cricket with the American game of baseball, which is infact related to the English game of Rounders - played by girlies.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 14, 2005 03:08

four stone walls...looking for some cultural enlightening...whats the difference between cricket and rounders?

Date: September 14, 2005 03:22

there is barely any similarity between cricket and rounders at all. their origins and rules are very different

baseball is however more related to rounders.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1328
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home