Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ABB in US: You can follow the count here
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 12, 2005 19:54

You can follow the count here:
[www.hitsdailydouble.com]

11.09%
LW TW artist / album label power index
1 1 KANYE WEST ROC-A-FELLA/IDJMG 29,555
LATE REGISTRATION
39 2 50 CENT SHADY/AFTERMATH/INT 16,342
THE MASSACRE
2 3 TONY YAYO G UNIT/INTERSCOPE 10,078
THOUGHTS OF A PREDICATE FELON
-- 4 THE ROLLING STONES VIRGIN 8,409
A BIGGER BANG
10 5 YOUNG JEEZY DEF JAM SOUTH/IDJMG 7,795

PLEASE, NO 11 COPIES OF DIFFERENCE HERE...

Re: ABB in US: You can follow the count here
Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 12, 2005 20:44

So it may debut at a lowly # 4 in the US?? That's lower than 40L, B2B, VL, & SW - the lowest peak since Dirty Work reached # 4 in 1986. I certainly have been rooting for at least # 2!!

Date: September 12, 2005 20:48

Let's wait, the count is very volatile.

Posted by: orange cow ()
Date: September 12, 2005 20:48

theres more kids and teens who like that rap junk
the Stones had no chance going up against them in sales

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: September 12, 2005 21:06

I don't really understand...I thought the Stones had position #2 for sure...or does it count until Tuesday?

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 12, 2005 21:27

Blecch - 4 out of the top 5 records are rap. What an unfortunate time in "music"...

Date: September 12, 2005 21:50

NOW IN: 15.33%

1 1 KANYE WEST ROC-A-FELLA/IDJMG 41,973
LATE REGISTRATION
39 2 50 CENT SHADY/AFTERMATH/INT 21,392
THE MASSACRE
-- 3 THE ROLLING STONES VIRGIN 17,630
A BIGGER BANG
2 4 TONY YAYO G UNIT/INTERSCOPE 12,339

Date: September 13, 2005 01:26

LAST UPDATE: 09/12/2005 14:44:47
NOW IN: 28.85%

1 1 KANYE WEST ROC-A-FELLA/IDJMG 58,948
LATE REGISTRATION
39 2 50 CENT SHADY/AFTERMATH/INT 30,663
THE MASSACRE
6 3 NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 19 CAPITOL 26,190
VARIOUS
4 4 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 25,956
THE EMANCIPATION OF MIMI
5 5 THE BLACK EYED PEAS A&M/INTERSCOPE 24,872
MONKEY BUSINESS
-- 6 THE ROLLING STONES VIRGIN 24,059
A BIGGER BANG
3 7 BROOKS & DUNN ARISTA NASHVILLE 17,677
HILLBILLY DELUXE
7 8 HILARY DUFF HOLLYWOOD 17,456
MOST WANTED
12 9 KELLY CLARKSON RCA/RMG 17,132
BREAKAWAY
2 10 TONY YAYO G UNIT/INTERSCOPE 14,427

Horrible Top 10.

Date: September 13, 2005 05:45

Yikes - it keeps getting worse. Where are all these stadiums full of fans who roared after BOMH & ONNYA?....

Date: September 13, 2005 06:08

LAST UPDATE: 09/12/2005 18:56:14
NOW IN: 43.20%

1 1 KANYE WEST ROC-A-FELLA/IDJMG 70,434
LATE REGISTRATION
39 2 50 CENT SHADY/AFTERMATH/INT 47,829
THE MASSACRE
6 3 NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 19 CAPITOL 40,340
VARIOUS
4 4 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 37,378
THE EMANCIPATION OF MIMI
-- 5 THE ROLLING STONES VIRGIN 34,413
A BIGGER BANG

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 13, 2005 06:23

I don't see any other rock 'n' roll in the top 5, let's give The Stones a hand.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: September 13, 2005 06:24

With all the hype - & less airplay than any other artist w/in throwing distance of the top 10 - this is very disappointing. Maybe, some of the 60,000 Chicago fans will spike it up, or NY's in anticipation of the shows. Then I recall U2 dropping down to the nether regions of the top 200 WITH sold out shows & ongoing airplay. A friend went to a mall Targetts today & said they were OUT of ABB. Not good. The implications of mediocre (by Stones standards) sales are not good.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: September 13, 2005 06:58

If they had run out, isn't that good? I still think the Rolling Stones should have included a copy with a ticket like Prince did...more people would have heard it and, if they haven't changed the rules, it would have had great first week sales. They also should have played more new songs from the new album...like "She Saw Me Coming"....what did they have to lose? They'd already sold the tickets.
They couldn't get more publicity than they've gotten, yet they are going to debut about the same as Carly Simon, James Taylor, and Jimmy Buffett (except I think he had a #1 last time around!). I'd say #5...their worst in forty years(hope I'm wrong!).
The Stones need to hire better people if Jimmy Buffett can be #1 and they can't.
Very sad...and such a super album.
Why don't people who spend $160 to go to a show want to spend $14 for a new album of terrific new material that's gotten great reviews? It's not like they have to go to the store...just come home from the show and order it online.
I've said this before and I stick by it...this is the last new material we'll ever hear from the Stones if sales aren't up to par. I'll never go see a Stones show that doesn't have some new material behind it and I'm sure there are many others that feel the same way.

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: September 13, 2005 07:14

Not a big surprise. There isnt a big single off this album and I doubt it will cross over into the under 25 market which is critical if you want to move records. It has been all down hill since Voodoo Lounge. Besides, why should they be disappointed with a #5 when they churned out arguably their worst collection of material ever. The press sheet must have been in error.The comparison stands far closer to "Emotional Rescue" than "Exile." But at least ER had some singles that were spun by more than 40 outlets in the US. What a joke!!!

Sure the muscianship on ABB is higher than probably any album since Some Girls, but it was a matter necessity considering how marginal a compilation of songs they needed to pass off. If the Stones would only take that muscianship and apply it to some half-way decent material and a strong single, they would be handsomely rewarded with a #1. I predict ABB will fall out of the Top 40 in 3 weeks time. It is clearly the name, not the material that will sell this album. Sad, sad, sad.

This album is so bad I have to play Dirty Work just to get the nasty ringing out of my ears!! I'd give it to someone, but no one would probably take it!

I'm sorry to keep complaining, but I am just totally pissed. I love the band so much; this is the first time in their history they have truly let me down (other than choosing not to tour for much of the 1980s).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-13 07:19 by JamesBurton.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: September 13, 2005 07:34

Its still pretty early in this game isnt it? I mean how long has Kanye West been on the charts? How long has his album been out? Arent we jumping too fast now?

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 13, 2005 11:11

John r wrote: "Where are all these stadiums full of fans who roared after BOMH & ONNYA?"

Jack Knife wrote :"Why don't people who spend $160 to go to a show want to spend $14 for a new album of terrific new material that's gotten great reviews?"

Guys, the Stones is a "monster" (the bigger!) as live act, not as albums sellers. Everyone knows that. Even two of their classic albums didn't got #1. In the USA Let It Bleed got #3 and Beggars Banquet #5. After 5 decades, 22 years after Undercover's #4, 16 years after Dirty Work's #4, honestly i don't see any distruction if ABB gets #5 or #6, during an week domineted by two "monster- sellers" of rap (it's 2005, don't forget it) and by Mariah Carey who is the 8th bigger album seller with 230 million (the Stones are 11th or 12th) .

I think the stability of the Stones still is a little miracle and that seems clearer in the Europe. Look at the other "veterans" (except Macca and E. John). I just saw "The Complete NME album charts". Bob Dylan and Neil Young once toped charts even in UK. "Harvest" #1 in 1972. In the summer of 1978 Dylan's "Street Legal" got #2, higher than "Some Girls" #3 ! (Then #1 was the soundtrack of Saturday Night Fever, of course). Now you rarely can see artists like these on charts. The Stones still are on top 10, almost everywhere.

ABB is a marvellous album. The charts have nothing to do with the quality of an album: Just think that Emotional Rescue got #1 (UK) and #1 (USA) but Beggars Banquet #3 and # 5.
Enjoy the album and the tour.

Posted by: Dobril ()
Date: September 13, 2005 11:47

I agree with stickydion - ABB is a marvellous album, one of the best Stones` albums (and I`ve heard all of them). winking smiley

Date: September 13, 2005 16:08

I do think sales are important in terms of how the Stones define themselves now & in the future - and recall that # 3 or # 4 was very good pre-soundscan, because those albums rose to those positions, usually after 2, 3, or 4 weeks, spent many weeks in the top 10, as opposed to Soundscan era trend of debuting high & dropping in the 2nd week. the new 311 album debuted at # 5, dropped to 30, then 62 in its third week! Of course it's a half empty/half full issue, & I can't disagree w/ Stickydion - who wouldn't want this level of success (or even existence) after 43 years - but strong sales would mean imo more new songs live (tho they should not go below 4 at shows) & better leverage if this is the last Virgin album, w/ greater likelihood of more new albums.

Date: September 13, 2005 16:13

drake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its still pretty early in this game isnt it? I
> mean how long has Kanye West been on the charts?
> How long has his album been out? Arent we jumping
> too fast now?

West will be Number 1 for quite some time i believe
They knew what they were up against. The Stones didn't do bad really.
But i don't think they will get any higher

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 13, 2005 17:00

Does anyone know what has caused this trend of an album debuting high in the charts and not staying there?

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 13, 2005 17:16

So where stand The Stones in the US and UK charts ?

Date: September 13, 2005 17:24

It changed w/ introduction of Soundscan in '91 - don't know why the patterns are different, however. I used to enjoy rooting for albums as they rose up the charts (like IORR: # 78 - 19 - 3 - 1 - 2, or Undercover: 35 - 13 - 4 - 4, etc). It (1st week peaks) never made sense to me unless more people are aware of release dates, which are now Tuesday as opposed to scattered throughout the week, than they were years ago. I rarely buy albums the first week of release except for absolute faves. Like the Stones.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 13, 2005 17:35

To be honest, i am basicaly interested in the whole sales of the album, not in the peak position. They are very low, as the whole sales are anymore: ABB probably gets #5 after selling about 80,000 copies. Ten or 15 years ago 80,000 copies were enough to secure a position between #10 and #20, reraly a position on top 10. So my question is: Can ABB get platinum? Hardly?

PS 1 I said that the Stones is the best selling and the most attractive live act in the world, but they are not a "fenomenon" as album sellers. In numbers: After just 9 concerts they played to 360,000 people in packed venues but only 80,000 have buyed the album...

PS 2 According to the first indications ABB will sell much better in the Europe. Have we a kind of neo-con's boycott in the USA??? Heee???? (Just kidding but... truly, who knows???)

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 13, 2005 17:42

Even Live Licks got gold. And it sold very very little.
I think eventually 1 million copies will be sent to record shops. So yes, I think it'll be certified platinum in a while. 1 million sold to the "end-user" is another story.

Date: September 13, 2005 17:44

i still think chart numbers can and are bought by record companies etc.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 13, 2005 17:48

There is no logical reason for a band who are on tour and playing sold out/almost sold out shows in massive stadiums across the US to NOT have an album whose sales reflect their popularity.

Regardless of lack of airplay and/or hit singles, the promotion and hype surrounding this album (first in 8 years, great reviews, a tour to support it) should in itself have been more than enough to enable it to top the charts in a country that the band are currently touring in

the fact is that hundreds of thousands of Stones "fans" have spent a large amount of their cash on seeing the band live (and in many cases, will spend a lot more getting to the shows, hotel rooms, merchandise etc) yet the vast majority of them cant or wont support the band's new release in the week it came out is shameful.

I find it amazing that any Stones fan who will go to these lengths and sacrifices to see the band wont buy their new album.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 13, 2005 17:54

stickydion Wrote:
> I think the stability of the Stones still is a
> little miracle and that seems clearer in the
> Europe. Look at the other "veterans" (except Macca
> and E. John). I just saw "The Complete NME album
> charts". Bob Dylan and Neil Young once toped
> charts even in UK. "Harvest" #1 in 1972. In the
> summer of 1978 Dylan's "Street Legal" got #2,
> higher than "Some Girls" #3 ! (Then #1 was the
> soundtrack of Saturday Night Fever, of course).
> Now you rarely can see artists like these on
> charts. The Stones still are on top 10, almost
> everywhere.

Timing is everything, though, sticky. Dylan's had quite a few number 1 albums in the UK up until the late 70's. Street Legal was released in the same week that he played six nights at Earls Court. His first shows in the UK for twelve years (apart from the Isle of wight concert in 1969). The Stones didnt play the UK that summer - had they done, they most certainly would have sold even more than they did.

yeah, the Stones still sell very well and thats remarkable considering their longevity but unfortunately their ticket sales far outstrip their record sales when youre comparing their success to everyone else. No one touches them as a concert draw, but there are lots of acts who easily outsell them on disc. Quite bizarre

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2005 18:06

For an awful lot of people a stones show is a oldi but goldi evening with satisfaction, honky tonk woman and the other all time greats with a firework in the end. Thats why the stones have to play them alll the time, urgh.... These people don't care about other songs or albums especially not the new ones.
One more thing. Stones fans always buy the new albums within days thats why they go straight to a high position in the charts and then drop like a stone. But who else from the early sixties have new albums in the top 5 nowadays? Except Paul M.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 13, 2005 18:09

You know, in a way the Stones are No 1. they are the only band carrying the Rocktorch. Discount all the Rap and that crap they call Country nowadays and all that's left is the Stones.
Sheeyt, I can rationalize with the best of them...

Date: September 13, 2005 18:10

the only people that want to hear new songs
are on this and other fan boards
i'd say 95% of the people going to the shows want old warhorses and
to see a massive live and legendary concert event.
They don't want to hear BOMH they want Wild Horses
I think it's cool they are making albums still

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1745
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home