Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - U2 in Buffalo on Tuesday - Roger Waters on Saturday, which show is best?
Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 6, 2017 21:38

ROGER WATERS any day over Bonzo

sc uk

Re: OT - U2 in Buffalo on Tuesday - Roger Waters on Saturday, which show is best?
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 6, 2017 22:15

Is it too late to vote for NEITHER?

If you love to pay money to see a preacher, then just pick one.
Either one.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 7, 2017 01:22

Buffalo is a C market and few acts even play the arena there. Most cities were a slam dunk.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 7, 2017 02:56

Dan
Buffalo is a C market and few acts even play the arena there. Most cities were a slam dunk.

"C" markets don't get A-list shows. BTW, though Buffalo is not NYC, LA, Chicago, or Toronto, it is the second only to NYC in NY. It certainly is not a "C" market.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 7, 2017 03:59

Seems U2 have lost as many fans as they've gained over the last 30 years or so.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 7, 2017 04:43

LongBeachArena72
3. U2 is not as big as they say they are, never mind as big as they think they are. They haven't had a hit for years and they've got the bad blood of the Apple thing going on. It takes a long time to forget. Hell, fans have finally forgotten with Metallica, but the band spent years away from the market, playing overseas, if at all, and they put out a double album of new material that was well-received by their fans. Turns out U2 went back to the well too many times. Think about this, U2, the everyman band, does a classic album and does less business than a supposedly niche metal band. But contrary to conventional wisdom, U2 is not for everybody. And once you start playing entire LPs at a show you're an oldies act, no one expects you to have a hit again, this was a gross mistake, the band should not have gone out to play stadiums after failing to go clean in every arena the last time around.
There's a lot of nonsense to unpack in this.

Are you talking about Metallica "recovering" from taking on Napster in 1999? Metallica toured the States many times since 2000, mostly in arenas but also some stadium shows, and did very well.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Where are exactly are you seeing them NOT touring? They've played shows almost every year since 2000. They don't do extensive, non-stop 2-1/2 yr world tours anymore as a concession to their families, not because they're not popular enough to play arenas and stadiums.

All three albums that they've released since 2000 have debuted at number 1 (not as big as deal as it once was, but still impressive).

[en.wikipedia.org]

And lastly, they haven't been a niche metal band since 1987. They've been a mainstream stadium hard rock/metal band for 27 years.

And WHERE exactly are you seeing a steep drop-off in U2's popularity? Look at the damn numbers:

[en.wikipedia.org]

I'd like to be @#$%& failing in life with numbers like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-07 04:47 by keefriff99.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 7, 2017 04:43

Dan

Wow. Where did you hear that from? A list bands play Buffalo all the time.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 7, 2017 04:45

Dan

What planet are you from?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 7, 2017 05:26

The Sicilian
Dan

"C" markets don't get A-list shows. BTW, though Buffalo is not NYC, LA, Chicago, or Toronto, it is the second only to NYC in NY. It certainly is not a "C" market.

Of course they don't. This is why. smiling smiley

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 7, 2017 06:28

keefriff99
LongBeachArena72
3. U2 is not as big as they say they are, never mind as big as they think they are. They haven't had a hit for years and they've got the bad blood of the Apple thing going on. It takes a long time to forget. Hell, fans have finally forgotten with Metallica, but the band spent years away from the market, playing overseas, if at all, and they put out a double album of new material that was well-received by their fans. Turns out U2 went back to the well too many times. Think about this, U2, the everyman band, does a classic album and does less business than a supposedly niche metal band. But contrary to conventional wisdom, U2 is not for everybody. And once you start playing entire LPs at a show you're an oldies act, no one expects you to have a hit again, this was a gross mistake, the band should not have gone out to play stadiums after failing to go clean in every arena the last time around.

Are you talking about Metallica "recovering" from taking on Napster in 1999? Metallica toured the States many times since 2000, mostly in arenas but also some stadium shows, and did very well.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Where are exactly are you seeing them NOT touring? They've played shows almost every year since 2000. They don't do extensive, non-stop 2-1/2 yr world tours anymore as a concession to their families, not because they're not popular enough to play arenas and stadiums.

All three albums that they've released since 2000 have debuted at number 1 (not as big as deal as it once was, but still impressive).

[en.wikipedia.org]

And lastly, they haven't been a niche metal band since 1987. They've been a mainstream stadium hard rock/metal band for 27 years.

And WHERE exactly are you seeing a steep drop-off in U2's popularity? Look at the damn numbers:

[en.wikipedia.org]

As I thought I clearly marked in my post, these are not my thoughts; they are from 'industry pundit' Bob Lefsetz whom I and others here have quoted on various matters in the past.

The topic under discussion on this thread was why were so many good tickets at U2's Buffalo show going for far under face value. Coincidentally, Lefsetz had just sent out an email to his subscribers on this very topic. I simply cut and pasted since it seemed germane to what people were talking about here.

I don't really have a dog in this fight since I don't know a lot about either U2 or their current appeal in today's marketplace. Very superficially, to me, they just seem like yet another old band whose best tracks are decades in their past.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 7, 2017 15:22

LongBeachArena72
keefriff99
LongBeachArena72

[en.wikipedia.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]

As I thought I clearly marked in my post, these are not my thoughts; they are from 'industry pundit' Bob Lefsetz whom I and others here have quoted on various matters in the past.

The topic under discussion on this thread was why were so many good tickets at U2's Buffalo show going for far under face value. Coincidentally, Lefsetz had just sent out an email to his subscribers on this very topic. I simply cut and pasted since it seemed germane to what people were talking about here.

I don't really have a dog in this fight since I don't know a lot about either U2 or their current appeal in today's marketplace. Very superficially, to me, they just seem like yet another old band whose best tracks are decades in their past.
I understand...wasn't attacking you specifically, but Lefsetz's comments were rather nonsensical to me.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 7, 2017 16:18

Dan

What are 'ya smoking dude?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 7, 2017 17:49

Was it a school night in Buffalo? My kids further East in New Hartford don't start until today....I thought the show was good for the $35 I spent. About all I would ever give Bono. That being said, my 15 daughter who is not a fan of either U2 or Beck (disappointed there) was unimpressed with U2, particularly Bono's lack of crowd interaction. Her words exactly: "What's his problem? Is he too big and important to interact with his audience between songs?" It was one of the lowest amounts of crowd interaction that I think I've ever seen. But, I can say I've been there and seen them. Once was more than enough. Beck, as always, was great!!

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: September 9, 2017 00:47

Roger any day over U2. Without Roger Pink Floyd would have been a lame act. When you listen to post-Roger Floyd albums or David's solo albums you can hear why. David just can't get to that level without Roger. Only few songs I consider as a classic (e.g. High Hopes) but most of the songs are poor quality.

Date: September 9, 2017 03:01

VoodooLounge13
Was it a school night in Buffalo? My kids further East in New Hartford don't start until today....I thought the show was good for the $35 I spent. About all I would ever give Bono. That being said, my 15 daughter who is not a fan of either U2 or Beck (disappointed there) was unimpressed with U2, particularly Bono's lack of crowd interaction. Her words exactly: "What's his problem? Is he too big and important to interact with his audience between songs?" It was one of the lowest amounts of crowd interaction that I think I've ever seen. But, I can say I've been there and seen them. Once was more than enough. Beck, as always, was great!!

School started on Tuesday. Speaking of crowd interaction, I wonder how your daughter would like Dead & Company. Just as with the Grateful Dead, they have absolutely no interaction with the audience except Bob Weir to announce the intermission. I love the band but have always found that to be a downer.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 9, 2017 10:34

So, Sicilian, did you go to see any of those shows? How did you enjoy it?

Date: September 9, 2017 17:18

Happy24
So, Sicilian, did you go to see any of those shows? How did you enjoy it?

I passed on U2 because of the hassle of the stadium show and I watched some of it on periscope. I still wanted to be there.

Roger Waters is tonight, and I've been trolling on StubHub for the right deal. I'm only a five minute drive from the arena.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: September 10, 2017 08:13

Just got home from seeing RW.

Fantastic. Quite the spectacle.

Dogs & Pigs to open set 2 were just perfect. New songs sounded fine.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home