Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Waterboys/Keith
Posted by: z ()
Date: August 29, 2017 09:57

Is he saying Jagger sounds like a donkey?

Date: August 29, 2017 10:47

z
Is he saying Jagger sounds like a donkey?

Check definition #2 (for persons) winking smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 29, 2017 12:45

Well, I like the song and I think the lyrics are meant in a goodhearted way.

Date: August 29, 2017 13:02

matxil
Well, I like the song and I think the lyrics are meant in a goodhearted way.

The lyrics were probably written prior to the release of Crosseyed Heart..

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 29, 2017 13:28

Keith slagging Sgt Pepper was part of the Crosseyed Heart campaign, IIRC.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 29, 2017 13:28

The song starts rather promising, but does not develope at all.Riffs, licks in the style of Richards and Wood and beats in the style of Watts are missing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-29 13:31 by windmelody.

Date: August 29, 2017 13:32

z
Keith slagging Sgt Pepper was part of the Crosseyed Heart campaign, IIRC.

He has done it before as well, slagging off Satanic while he was at it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-29 13:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: August 29, 2017 14:42

I love The Waterboys. Mike Scott is from my home town, Edinburgh, so I may be a bit biased but I don't see this as being insulting towards Keith. Okay, it's not the "idolising Keef the pirate" that Nils Lofgren recorded with "Keith Don't Go", and there are a couple of fairly mild digs at some of our hero's more recent deeds and statements. But as other posters have pointed out, he seems to be challenging Keith to come up with something really special.

Mike Scott has a history of writing songs about music legends - "The Return of Jimi Hendrix", "I Can See Elvis". The latter name-checks John Lennon, Keith Moon, Bob Marley, Charlie Parker and Marvin Gaye, amongst others. When I saw The Waterboys playing this song live two years ago, with Edinburgh Castle as a backdrop, he also included Bobby Keys, which I though was a nice touch. No need for anyone to get upset! I love both bands. Check out this Prince cover version from the gig I attended.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 29, 2017 15:22

Jeez, I seem to have started a small fire here. Just put the post on thinking no one would be particularly interested. Debate is good. winking smiley

Mr. Brigadoon.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 29, 2017 16:09

HonkyTonkJan
I love The Waterboys. Mike Scott is from my home town, Edinburgh, so I may be a bit biased but I don't see this as being insulting towards Keith. Okay, it's not the "idolising Keef the pirate" that Nils Lofgren recorded with "Keith Don't Go", and there are a couple of fairly mild digs at some of our hero's more recent deeds and statements. But as other posters have pointed out, he seems to be challenging Keith to come up with something really special.

Mike Scott has a history of writing songs about music legends - "The Return of Jimi Hendrix", "I Can See Elvis". The latter name-checks John Lennon, Keith Moon, Bob Marley, Charlie Parker and Marvin Gaye, amongst others. When I saw The Waterboys playing this song live two years ago, with Edinburgh Castle as a backdrop, he also included Bobby Keys, which I though was a nice touch. No need for anyone to get upset! I love both bands. Check out this Prince cover version from the gig I attended.

[youtu.be]

I agree, although the song sounds sinister, it is actually saying Keith might be holding onto his final trick. Sounds crazy ( well i am ) but i believe this to be true. I just get the feeling Keith has something up his sleeve. Something so amazing, and down to him, not Mick, that maybe Mick is slightly disinterested in finishing this album as a result. Haha guys don't take me too seriously i'm a loon. But then again.winking smiley

I don't know it's just not like Keith to say i got three killer Riffs. Its like he laid the gauntlet down right there.

He is usually a modest man in this respect.
I want to hear those Riffs released while Keith is still with us, before it's too late.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-29 16:36 by stone4ever.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home