Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Back of My Hand, The Storm, other great blues songs
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 12, 2005 01:10

I love Back of My Hand, but I think that songs just as strong were recorded in recent years but not released. The Storm, a b-side from Voodoo Lounge, is my favorite Stones song of the last 25 years. WHY DID THESE SONGS NOT MAKE IT TO THE ALBUMS? Frankly, I'm surprised Back of My Hand was not a B-Side. Good to see it make the cut and even be performed live. Check out these great, great songs:

Wish I'd Never Met You
Cook Cook Blues
Fancy Man Blues
The Storm
Back of My Hand
etc.

In years to come, these will be uncovered as classics (just like How Can I Stop? will be)

Re: Back of My Hand, The Storm, other great blues songs
Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: September 12, 2005 01:13

I agree with you: The Storm is great, i like it more than Back Of My Hand (which is good also by the way).

So Young, a little blues-rocker, also a B-side from Love Is Strong, is also a killer song I think!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 12, 2005 02:38

I don't think the Storm is good enough for an album. It's a perfect B-side.

I think the same of BOMH - good as a B-side. Nice that Mick tried his hand in this nostalgia trip - but it should have stayed as a tasty curio - i.e. an out-take with the honoured distinction of being a B-Side.

I predict it will be the B-side of their next single. But the A-side is harder to predict.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 12, 2005 02:40

as I said on an earlier thread - after listening to the album a few times, I think I better understand whey they normally leave these songs off - they don't work on the albums. I like BOMH, but it interrupts the flow of the album, IMO. I think it's there as a vehicle to do on the stage, pretty much.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 12, 2005 02:43

The songs that ended up as Voodoo Lounge b-sides were specifically recorded for that purpose and were never down for inclusion on the finished album.

A bit of a stretch to call "Cook cook blues" a 'great' song, as the lyrics are barely finished and its not only a b-side but a leftover from a previous album that was already one of their weaker efforts

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 12, 2005 17:30

Can't be satisfied. Two trains. Some girls

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 13, 2005 02:21

Mick Jagger interview 1994

Can you write on demand?

Mick Jagger
Yeah. I wrote the B-side of the single Love Is Strong. Don Was Said, "Well, you know, we should have the B-sides done this week." It was always, like, next week we were gonna do the B-sides.

Then we went there the last night in Dublin, Don said, "Well we should really have done the B-sides." I said, "Well I didn't do any B-sides. I didn't write any B-sides.

He said. "Well, couldn't you just go and write them?" This is like at the end of the six weeks, and I said, "Don, I feel, like really tired. I do not want to write the B-sides."

And he said, "well, why can't you just go in the corner of the cafateria and do them?" I said, "Okay I'll try it"

So I went in and wrote "The Storm" and the next one, which is called "Jump On Top Of Me," and the next one which is called ah......(Laughs.) I forgot what I called it! It's called "Drive" or something--I don't know --"Ride All Night" or something. I can't remember, I changed it.

But anyway, I wrote the three of them in one go. Walked in the room and just sat down and played them. And then we did them all in one take. So they were written and played all in one take. So that's writing on demand. And then I'll finish the lyrics up later.

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2145
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home