Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: "I don’t think I’ve picked up a guitar since I last saw you."
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 22, 2017 23:38

I don't take quotes like these too literally.
When googling this quote (or parts of it) word by word I'm landing on this iorr thread.
Can you Longbeacharena72, the thread-starter, please reveal where you got it from?

Date: August 22, 2017 23:50

Ronnie only said that he sometimes won't pick up the guitar at home between tours.

But he could (and probably does) play elsewhere smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 23, 2017 00:20

Thommie
I don't take quotes like these too literally.
When googling this quote (or parts of it) word by word I'm landing on this iorr thread.
Can you Longbeacharena72, the thread-starter, please reveal where you got it from?

It's from a recent interview in the Guardian dated August 19:

ART

Q: What would you find easier to give up – the playing or the art?
A: That’s a difficult question. But I could give up the playing. I could always pick up the guitar at home [between tours], though I often don’t even do that. Me and Keith, we both realised, at rehearsals, “I don’t think I’ve picked up a guitar since I last saw you.”

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 23, 2017 03:39

I could see how painting, etc. could scratch Ronnie's artistic itch. Keith used to sleep with his guitar. One can only speculate on how painful it is for him with those hands. Ah well, take it with a grain of salt. I'm personally addicted to playing *something* (guitar, mandolin, banjo, etc.) daily.

Date: August 23, 2017 03:57

Creating art is known to be therapeutic and is a great creative outlet for anyone who has any interest in it. Ronnie probably finds just as much joy and accomplishment when he paints as when he plays guitar, maybe even more so. As for Keith, don't know what other outlet he has other than gardening and cooking, but evidently he's interested in visual art as well, not to mention an avid history buff. If he's not playing guitar months at a time, he must have some form of physical therapy on his arthritic hands to keep them limber for when the time comes to play - recording, touring, etc.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 23, 2017 13:32

A good therapy for his fingers is to keep them working daily. Maybe playing guitar

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 23, 2017 13:41

I think it is rather sad if a person is not enjoying the fun of playing guitar anymore.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 23, 2017 13:51

If you didn't play guitar for months and then went straight into rehearsing for a couple of hours a day, you'd have some pretty sore and ragged finger ends until they started to harden up again !

Date: August 23, 2017 14:10

A statement like Ronnie's should never be taken litterally smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 23, 2017 15:37

Quite so grinning smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 23, 2017 19:41

I don't think I've picked up a guitar since the last tour where we did four gigs, I think...some private shows...one in a furking tent lol...cancelled a gig...millions and millions just me heh heh...what was the question?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-23 19:42 by hopkins.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: August 23, 2017 20:44

DandelionPowderman
Ronnie only said that he sometimes won't pick up the guitar at home between tours.

I seem to remember seeing Ronnie's posts on Instagram where he played the guitar at home. From memory that was recently so I don't think it's true that he never picks up a guitar between tours.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 23, 2017 21:15

Spud
If you didn't play guitar for months and then went straight into rehearsing for a couple of hours a day, you'd have some pretty sore and ragged finger ends until they started to harden up again !
If I haven't played in a long time and then play for many hours a day, like always in the holidays, I get a stiffness in my fingers and it takes about a week for them to ger elastic again. That's what probably happens to Ronnie now

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 23, 2017 22:54

+ The weak and disappointing Desert Trip #1 show.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

hopkins
I don't think I've picked up a guitar since the last tour where we did four gigs, I think...some private shows...one in a furking tent lol...cancelled a gig...millions and millions just me heh heh...what was the question?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-23 23:18 by powerage78.

Date: August 23, 2017 23:48

powerage78
+ The weak and disappointing Desert Trip #1 show.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

hopkins

I wasn't there, but here are the reviews from the people who attended the show.

I don't see the words "weak and disappointing" in there: [iorr.org]

Date: August 24, 2017 00:13

For me it was : Start me up, Out Of Control, Mixed Emotions, Come Together, Sympathy For The Devil...
Yes regarding YT videos.
Only acceptable for the good versions yes I forgot ....
My apologies... ^^
And come on is there even a contrasted review for years ?
2007 perharps ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-24 00:16 by powerage78.

Date: August 24, 2017 00:24

I was at both Desert Trips, and while weekend 1 was weaker than weekend II, it was definitely not disappointing.
Regarding the reviews posted on IORR, there's one that seems to be fair and balanced without over glossing everything written by someone named Eric Ward (winking smiley ):

"Opening with warhorse staple Start Me Up (not a personal favorite, but perfect choice for this type of crowd), the Stones put on a typical state of the art Stones show - warts and all. Ride 'Em on Down, was easily a top highlight, and I wish the set consisted of more of that, but dream on. Also a surprising cover of the Beatles' Come Together which should finally put the Stones/Beatles rivalry to rest - it was great homage to their brethren, albeit slightly sloppy and clunky. Midnight Rambler is what the Stones are all about in a live setting for me, and no doubt the nights ultmate highlight. No matter how many times I've seen the Stones (in small clubs, arenas, and stadiums), and just when I'm about to write them off as over the hill, faded, and shadows of their former selves - they can still deliver a somewhat memorable show (for what it's worth, it was much better than the San Diego opener I saw last tour). Sure Ronnie isn't the worlds greatest guitarist. Yes Keith has lost some of his mojo. Obviously Mick has lost a step or two in his energy. But Charlie remains the engine that keeps the band chugging, and because of that is probably the main reason why they're still worth seeing live".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-24 00:25 by Hairball.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 24, 2017 04:30

I thought Keith always had an acoustic handy at night when he's chilling?

Date: August 24, 2017 18:55

Believe me for Angus winking smiley
And yes Keith should rehearse again and again...

[youtu.be]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 24, 2017 19:32

ohotos
DandelionPowderman

I seem to remember seeing Ronnie's posts on Instagram where he played the guitar at home. From memory that was recently so I don't think it's true that he never picks up a guitar between tours.

It was 'Waiting On A Friend' acoustic with 2 gorgeous 1 year old heads looking on...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 24, 2017 19:46

powerage78

[youtu.be]

Although I agree and wish that Keith could/would practice more, I don't know that practice would have helped much in the link you provided. In my experience, "going blank" isn't necessarily related to not enough practice. Just like Keith in the link above, I've seen guys (and been the guy) who couldn't remember how to start a song they've played dozens of if not 100+ times. I know what it felt like when it happened to me & how it felt to watch a bandmate struggle... It's no fun I assure you.

Peace,
Mr DJA

another blah blah attempt by that deadhead attempt to bash on the Stones
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 24, 2017 19:49

just another blah blah blah attempt by that deadhead to bash on the Stones...
nit picking any little line from any article that might sound negative about the Stones...
then the usual suspects negative nancies jump onboard to give the BS legs...

The Stones have proven everything they ever need to prove... yet the bashers keep on bashing

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 24, 2017 20:13

On a similar note, I recall an interview from years ago with Mike Campbell (Tom Petty band) who claimed - to paraphrase - he knows all he needs to know on the guitar, he's learned as much as he could possibly learn, he's as good as he'll ever get, and he doesn't practice at all to learn new things and progress but rather to keep his fingers limber. He said he reached a certain point where there's nowhere left to go.

That might be something he regrets saying as I'm sure he's evolved a little since that interview, but if not that explains his boring/derivative/stagnant guitar style.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-24 20:14 by Hairball.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 24, 2017 20:37

powerage78
For me it was : Start me up, Out Of Control, Mixed Emotions, Come Together, Sympathy For The Devil...
Yes regarding YT videos.
Only acceptable for the good versions yes I forgot ....
My apologies... ^^
And come on is there even a contrasted review for years ?
2007 perharps ?

Don't forget the totally messed up little t and a. Nice setlist but worst concert since 2007

Date: August 24, 2017 22:13

Ok ok well and this one ? Blanck, stress, experimentation ? Genius ?

[youtu.be]

mr_dja
powerage78

[youtu.be]

Although I agree and wish that Keith could/would practice more, I don't know that practice would have helped much in the link you provided. In my experience, "going blank" isn't necessarily related to not enough practice. Just like Keith in the link above, I've seen guys (and been the guy) who couldn't remember how to start a song they've played dozens of if not 100+ times. I know what it felt like when it happened to me & how it felt to watch a bandmate struggle... It's no fun I assure you.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-24 22:14 by powerage78.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 25, 2017 05:06

Kurt
Where did this quote come from exactly and when is it from?
What 'rehearsals' are Ronnie referring to?

If this statement is at all remotely true, it's a @#$%& disgrace and a sure sign that the end is nigh.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 25, 2017 09:33

I get the impression Keith practices more in recent years out of necessity.
Maybe playing comes a bit easier and naturally for Ronnie, he has nice hands, no arthritis.
BTW Joe Perry is awesome, very underrated imho.

Date: August 25, 2017 11:33

stone4ever
I get the impression Keith practices more in recent years out of necessity.
Maybe playing comes a bit easier and naturally for Ronnie, he has nice hands, no arthritis.
BTW Joe Perry is awesome, very underrated imho.

For sure.

Date: August 25, 2017 11:46

I have all the Aerosmith-records, and the band's an old favourite of mine, but to say that Joe Perry is an awesome guitarist is a HUGE stretch.

He simply never was. He's a mess, but he does some cool stuff now and again – and he has a weird, fascinating technique smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 25, 2017 12:14

Yes. And a good singer !
[www.youtube.com]

Love this band really.
Have seen them live several times, Fantastic live act.
What an energy.

[www.youtube.com]

Quite discret, "Brad Whitford is a GREAT rhythm guitarist !
Come together
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-25 12:21 by powerage78.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home