Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones defy critics with another #1 album. Why stop recording if you still are having #1 records and massive tours?
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: September 11, 2005 17:42

A Bigger Bang hitting #1 on the British charts will be just the nudge the Stones need to keep making records.

It was only 18 months ago that Jagger/Richards were talking about winding it down. But why stop recording if you continue to have #1 records and huge sold out tours? It is now clear (the public has voted) THE PEOPLE STILL LOVE THE ROLLING STONES.

As a matter of fact I would say that the fact that the Stones keep recording and touring is one of the most defiant things they have ever done. With all the negitive press about their age it would have been easy to just pack it in and count their money.

Instead the Stones defied their critics and gave us a critical and commercial smash The #1 album A BIGGER BANG (I love the sound of that) Along with a massive sold out tour that the public is paying ridiculos prices for.

What more proof do you need the Stones are not an oldies act? Oldies acts don't have #1 albums and play to 40,000-85,000 people per night.

The Stones are making rock music grow up and taking it to a place it's never been. To me (in my early 30's) it's more interesting to see the Stones still doing it at this level than to see another young and upcoming band that will burn out after a couple of years. These guys are freaks of nature. What you are seeing now will NEVER be done again.

History will record this as being a second golden era in the Stones legacy. The first being when they were young and new. The second era being when they grew rock up and took it from purely a young man's game and matured the genre.

Trust me when history looks back at the Stones this era will be well remembered. So remember all the critical hits the band takes now. Because in the coming years there will be tons of revisionist history about the Stones.

I have to go now and remind all the haters in the world who has the #1 album today in September 2005. I'm thrilled (what a @#$%& geek) that the Rolling Stones are on top of the charts today.

Re: Stones defy critics with another #1 album. Why stop recording if you still are having #1 records and massive tours?
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 11, 2005 17:43

It makes me amazingly proud, really grinning smiley And ABB deserves being number 1!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Re: Stones defy critics with another #1 album. Why stop recording if you still are having #1 records and massive tours?
Date: September 11, 2005 17:49

IT'S 2005 AND THE @#$%& ROLLING STONES HAVE A NUMBER 1 ALBUM. Life is good.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: September 11, 2005 17:52

"But why stop recording if you continue to have #1 records and huge sold out tours?"

Quit while you're ahead! I hope they never quit but that would be the reason to do it.

I was reading something yesterday (a football programme of all things) and 40 years ago yesterday Satisfaction was at no.1 in the UK charts. Who would have thought then that 40 years on the Stones would still be at no.1 in the charts?

Incedentaly, 20 years ago yesterday Mick and David Bowie where at no.1 in the uk charts, god I feel old!

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Date: September 11, 2005 18:13

Nah

They gotta keep it going at this point. They are #1. I wanna to see them grow this thing up.

better stop before scaring off the next generation of fans
Posted by: BikeDude ()
Date: September 11, 2005 19:01

skelly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quit while you're ahead! I hope they never quit
> but that would be the reason to do it.

Absolutely. They would do future fans a big disservice by dragging on too long. Mick looks in better shape than most guys in their thirties and Keith is so marinated with drugs and alcohol that he'll continue playing great licks even after being pronounced legally dead. Was it the "Saint of Me" video that documented that the guys are bigger than life -- even taller than most buildings?

But for now life is good. I hope to catch atleast three shows in 2006. If I'm really lucky I'll be able to capture them on film as well, but I think that ship has sailed. (tried to get a press pass in Stockholm on their last tour, but I was naturally refused -- I knew the answer beforehand, but I felt I had to atleast ask smiling smiley)

I have a hard time imagining a world tour in 2016 though. That would be strange/disturbing.

Re: better stop before scaring off the next generation of fans
Posted by: Ortanique ()
Date: September 11, 2005 19:08

BikeDude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was it the "Saint
> of Me" video that documented that the guys are
> bigger than life -- even taller than most
> buildings?

Actually, that would be the video for "Love Is Strong". And I agree, Keith's liver is legendary.

Sorry if I quoted this wrong - I just registered and am still figuring some things out.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 11, 2005 19:20

The idea that they should quit 'now' or at a peak goes back to the Beatles' breakup at least. "Jagger is in amazing physical shape for a man of 32," somebody (Dave Marsh?) wrote in '75, and I distinctly recall an article in a Boston weekly after the '79 concert for the blind advising the Stones to quit now, after the rejuvenation of SG & the '78 tour. They are on their 4th US tour in 8 years, w/ high ticket prices & (all things considered) strong ticket sales. Who woulda thunk, in '72, '80, '90?

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 11, 2005 19:26

@#$%& the nay sayers!

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: September 11, 2005 19:45

I just read another thread that says The Stones are in fact NOT at #1 in the UK, who is correct?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 11, 2005 19:47

A Bigger Bang debuted #2 in UK.

Date: September 11, 2005 19:49

Can't it still get to #1? Even if it doesn't this ain't to shabby.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 11, 2005 19:56

>Can't it still get to #1? Even if it doesn't this ain't to shabby.

No, it will drop fast the next week.

I said: "Saturday sales can change everything"

I've seen albums at #1 with a lead of 10k on Friday and on Sunday the same album was #3 with 10k less than the #2 and 20k less than the #1.
Let's say: Monday-Friday sales: mostly adults (50% of the sales)
Saturday: mostly kids (50% of the sales)

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 11, 2005 20:06

georgelicks does it look like # 2 for the US as well?

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 11, 2005 20:31

personally...its hard for me to want them to quit after such an inspiring new cd...and of course, they've still got it live...best to all

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1387
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home