Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Influence of Jerry Garcia side projects on The Dead
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 14, 2017 06:15

keefriffhard4life
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
When I was still at the young age of 12 or 13 exploring different types of music, I bought the Grateful Dead's Blues for Allah album (which was their latest release at the time) based on the cool cover art alone.
It was dreadful listening experience at the time , and never made that mistake of buying something without a clue again. Still have the album though, and still think it's a cool cover!

I did like the albums Terrapin Station and Shakedown Street quite a bit more. The former had the great reggae-ish Estimated Prophet with the "California...." refrain, while the latter had I Need a Miracle which seemed to get a lot of radio airplay at the time.

I loved In The Dark - the tunes Touch of Grey, Hell in a Bucket, and West L.A. Fadeaway are still some of my favorite songs by any band.
That album, along with the Skeletons in the Closet compilation have always been enough Grateful Dead for me (give or take some other tunes), but maybe someday I'll dig deeper.

I can honestly say that I have never heard a single Grateful Dead song that was better in its original studio incarnation than in its best live version. They were a pretty meh band in the studio, in my opinion ... although as you point out, HB, they did have some great covers!

As the band developed songs over the years they found new avenues of exploration and emphases, new ways in ... the songs' true hearts revealed themselves in time and the tunes emerged deeper, more soulful and funky.

(They are almost the antithesis of the Stones in this respect: to my ears, other than "Midnight Rambler" from 69-73, and "I'm Free" and "Sympathy for the Devil" in 69, no other Stones live version has ever topped its studio original.)

BTW, "Terrapin" and "Shakedown" are favorites of mine, too. And the "Help on the Way/Slipknot/Franklin's Tower" that kicks off Blues for Allah became a monster suite in concert.

i'd say the songs on american beauty and workingmans dead are better in studio form because the band never got the harmonies right live

I went back and looked--and listened--and I stand corrected; there are songs in the Dead canon that I would agree work better in studio than on stage:

"Box of Rain"
"New Speedway Boogie"
"Ripple"

The rest of American Beauty and Workingman's Dead I still prefer live.

Date: August 14, 2017 06:29

LongBeachArena72
keefriffhard4life
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
When I was still at the young age of 12 or 13 exploring different types of music, I bought the Grateful Dead's Blues for Allah album (which was their latest release at the time) based on the cool cover art alone.
It was dreadful listening experience at the time , and never made that mistake of buying something without a clue again. Still have the album though, and still think it's a cool cover!

I did like the albums Terrapin Station and Shakedown Street quite a bit more. The former had the great reggae-ish Estimated Prophet with the "California...." refrain, while the latter had I Need a Miracle which seemed to get a lot of radio airplay at the time.

I loved In The Dark - the tunes Touch of Grey, Hell in a Bucket, and West L.A. Fadeaway are still some of my favorite songs by any band.
That album, along with the Skeletons in the Closet compilation have always been enough Grateful Dead for me (give or take some other tunes), but maybe someday I'll dig deeper.

I can honestly say that I have never heard a single Grateful Dead song that was better in its original studio incarnation than in its best live version. They were a pretty meh band in the studio, in my opinion ... although as you point out, HB, they did have some great covers!

As the band developed songs over the years they found new avenues of exploration and emphases, new ways in ... the songs' true hearts revealed themselves in time and the tunes emerged deeper, more soulful and funky.

(They are almost the antithesis of the Stones in this respect: to my ears, other than "Midnight Rambler" from 69-73, and "I'm Free" and "Sympathy for the Devil" in 69, no other Stones live version has ever topped its studio original.)

BTW, "Terrapin" and "Shakedown" are favorites of mine, too. And the "Help on the Way/Slipknot/Franklin's Tower" that kicks off Blues for Allah became a monster suite in concert.

i'd say the songs on american beauty and workingmans dead are better in studio form because the band never got the harmonies right live

I went back and looked--and listened--and I stand corrected; there are songs in the Dead canon that I would agree work better in studio than on stage:

"Box of Rain"
"New Speedway Boogie"
"Ripple"

The rest of American Beauty and Workingman's Dead I still prefer live.

there are great live versions of every song from those 2 albums but I just feel like the vibe and vocals of the studio versions never were beat live. "dire wolf" even had weir sing it live a few times for jerry to try and get the guitar parts right live and after a few times they went back to jerry singing it

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 14, 2017 13:01

Did anybody see the outstanding Amazon documentary on the Grateful Dead "Long Strange Trip"? It was outstanding all 4 hours worth. The Rolling Stones are in it when it shows Altamont in 1969 , and it shows Mick Jagger talking to Captain Trips himself .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 13:03 by TheGreek.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 14, 2017 16:03

keefriffhard4life
rbk
Unlike most band vs solo members the 'Dead brought their solo songs into the Dead repertoire which allowed the songs to grow and become more interesting. It should be noted that The Wheel, Greatest Story Ever Told, They Love Each Other, Me And My Uncle, Cold Rain and Snow, Sunshine Daydream, Sugaree, Lazy Lightning, Cassidy and Alabama Getaway, among others, were regulars in the Dead the expansive songbook.

If Mick had ever suggested the Stones do "Just Another Night" Keith would have cold-cocked him.

alabama getaway is on a greateful dead studio album go to heaven.

cold rain and snow is a cover tune from the very fist studio album

me and my uncle was a cover song and was first covered in grateful dead setlists

what do these tunes have to do with solo work?

As for "Alabama Getaway" please refer to the "Run For the Roses" reissue. As for the other two I was rattling (ten) songs off the top of my head but will gladly bow to your vastly superior expertise. I hope you'll see it in your hear to forgive me.

Date: August 14, 2017 16:12

TheGreek
Did anybody see the outstanding Amazon documentary on the Grateful Dead "Long Strange Trip"? It was outstanding all 4 hours worth. The Rolling Stones are in it when it shows Altamont in 1969 , and it shows Mick Jagger talking to Captain Trips himself .

Yeah, really liked it it. Most of it was new to me. Loved that story of the sound engineer dropping acid and wandering out of the truck during "Morning Dew" at the Lyceum in London and getting the thumbs-up from Jerry mid-song that it was OK for him to be away from his post and digging the music.

Date: August 15, 2017 01:04

rbk
keefriffhard4life
rbk
Unlike most band vs solo members the 'Dead brought their solo songs into the Dead repertoire which allowed the songs to grow and become more interesting. It should be noted that The Wheel, Greatest Story Ever Told, They Love Each Other, Me And My Uncle, Cold Rain and Snow, Sunshine Daydream, Sugaree, Lazy Lightning, Cassidy and Alabama Getaway, among others, were regulars in the Dead the expansive songbook.

If Mick had ever suggested the Stones do "Just Another Night" Keith would have cold-cocked him.

alabama getaway is on a greateful dead studio album go to heaven.

cold rain and snow is a cover tune from the very fist studio album

me and my uncle was a cover song and was first covered in grateful dead setlists

what do these tunes have to do with solo work?

As for "Alabama Getaway" please refer to the "Run For the Roses" reissue. As for the other two I was rattling (ten) songs off the top of my head but will gladly bow to your vastly superior expertise. I hope you'll see it in your hear to forgive me.

when was that recorded? run for the roses came out after go to heaven

Date: August 15, 2017 14:17

I just also pre ordered the new 6 CD box from July 11 and 12 ,1989 from RFK stadium .I can't wait for this as I am a super huge fan of the 1979-1990 era with Brent Mydland on the ivories .The two super deluxe box sets that they released of Spring 1990 and Spring 1990 the Other one is simply the Grateful Dead in peak tip top shape .Think about it like this ,Jerry has his coma brought on by diabetes in 1986 .When he awoken he came back with a force greater that the infamous lighting bolt logo that they used which then resulted in two masterpiece albums of 1987 In the Dark with the Grateful Dead's first real top 40 hit Touch of Grey and also crowd favorites Hell In A Bucket ,Throwing Stones ,Black Muddy River. Then in late 1989 the Grateful Dead release there next album Built To Last which was a gem to me because of Captain Trips his own self and the great compositions of Brent Mydland ,who then passed away in early summer 1990 which then effectively stuck the knife in the gut of the band and they sputtered on for the next 5 years until Jerry took the elevator to the heavens August 9th 1995.The band with the three headed monster vocals of Jerry, Bobby and Brent where creating such rich harmonies and sang so well together that it was just pure bliss to my ears. Such a soulful husky Blues drenched voice that Mr. Mydland had and some of the tunes that he would cover live were just mind blowing to me such as Dear Mr. Fantasy ,Gimmie Some Loving ,I could go on and on and then mix in Jerry soaring lead Guitar well I am enraptured in an orgasmic bliss as I write this .It truly is true when they sing "Like a Steam Locomotive Rolling Down the Tracks that he's Gone(Pigpen) and Nothings gonna bring him Back (Jerry Garcia) He's Gone .Thank the Lord Almighty for the recorded concerts in their entirety .smiling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 15, 2017 22:55

To celebrate Garcia's what would have been 75th the estate just released Garcia & Saunders(essentially Legion Of Mary except Kreutzmann on drums)) from the Keystone August 11, 1974. That's a bullseye.....hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-15 22:56 by Maindefender.

Date: August 15, 2017 23:05

TheGreek
I just also pre ordered the new 6 CD box from July 11 and 12 ,1989 from RFK stadium .I can't wait for this as I am a super huge fan of the 1979-1990 era with Brent Mydland on the ivories .The two super deluxe box sets that they released of Spring 1990 and Spring 1990 the Other one is simply the Grateful Dead in peak tip top shape .Think about it like this ,Jerry has his coma brought on by diabetes in 1986 .When he awoken he came back with a force greater that the infamous lighting bolt logo that they used which then resulted in two masterpiece albums of 1987 In the Dark with the Grateful Dead's first real top 40 hit Touch of Grey and also crowd favorites Hell In A Bucket ,Throwing Stones ,Black Muddy River. Then in late 1989 the Grateful Dead release there next album Built To Last which was a gem to me because of Captain Trips his own self and the great compositions of Brent Mydland ,who then passed away in early summer 1990 which then effectively stuck the knife in the gut of the band and they sputtered on for the next 5 years until Jerry took the elevator to the heavens August 9th 1995.The band with the three headed monster vocals of Jerry, Bobby and Brent where creating such rich harmonies and sang so well together that it was just pure bliss to my ears. Such a soulful husky Blues drenched voice that Mr. Mydland had and some of the tunes that he would cover live were just mind blowing to me such as Dear Mr. Fantasy ,Gimmie Some Loving ,I could go on and on and then mix in Jerry soaring lead Guitar well I am enraptured in an orgasmic bliss as I write this .It truly is true when they sing "Like a Steam Locomotive Rolling Down the Tracks that he's Gone(Pigpen) and Nothings gonna bring him Back (Jerry Garcia) He's Gone .Thank the Lord Almighty for the recorded concerts in their entirety .smiling smiley

That's so cool, TheGreek!

I must confess that I've been holed up in the raging glories of 72-77 for so long that I've not really listened to much else for a long time. I do dig Mydland's keys and backup vox; never thought much of him as a lead vocalist. Spent some time this morning with The Other One sampler and really enjoyed it; the band sounded good and Jerry was surprisingly fluid and inventive. I should give this era a chance.

Any particular 79-90 shows you'd recommend, other than the ones you cite above?

Date: August 15, 2017 23:11

Maindefender
To celebrate Garcia's what would have been 75th the estate just released Garcia & Saunders(essentially Legion Of Mary except Kreutzmann on drums)) from the Keystone August 11, 1974. That's a bullseye.....hot smiley

Such a good show. Discovered it last week during the Legion of Mary binge you inspired me to go on. Martin Fierro's "La La" is a highlight for me from that night.

(For any of you who might look this up, it's labelled GarciaLive Vol 9.)

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 15, 2017 23:34

LongBeachArena72
Maindefender

Such a good show. Discovered it last week during the Legion of Mary binge you inspired me to go on. Martin Fierro's "La La" is a highlight for me from that night.

I wonder if Martin's name was chosen after the poem.

Date: August 15, 2017 23:38

LongBeachArena72
Maindefender

Thanks LB. Another new GD release is Dave's Picks Volume 23, Eugene Oregon 1-22-78. Great show and Garcia does the Close Encounters theme.....

Date: August 16, 2017 00:51

Maindefender
LongBeachArena72
Maindefender

Thanks LB. Another new GD release is Dave's Picks Volume 23, Eugene Oregon 1-22-78. Great show and Garcia does the Close Encounters theme.....

Any show with "Peggy-O" AND "Row Jimmy" is ok by me--will ck it out!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 16, 2017 17:55

Well put TheGreek!

Date: August 16, 2017 18:46

[www.setlists.net] 12/26/79. LongBeachArena72, I racked my brain trying to think of a show to represent the splendor , the magic , the vibe , the essence of the Brent Mydland era and this came to mind .This show features Phil Lesh dropping one of his infamous bombs during The Other One .Such a great setlist with fine playing by Captain Trips .The show opens with Cold Rain and Snow to set the mood for the evening .Another first set highlight for me is the double combo of Me and My Uncle which goes right into the crowd favorite of Big River from the man in black Johnny Cash .The last two songs of the set list are powerhouse Alabama Getaway into Promised Land (pretty nice bookends of the Chuck Berry hits for the first set). Now for the fun stuff in the second set which kicks off with my Uncle John's Band into Estimated Prophet which is so sublime and hypnotic to set the vibe ,right into He's Gone followed by the evenings pyro fireworks from Phil Lesh bomb in The Other One and then we are off into the Billy and Mickey show of Drums which is from another world right into trip your mind right out into Space (one of the best I might mention with Whale sounds ) Now we are into the orgasmic bliss of Not Fade Away into Brokedown Palace where Jerry just breaks your heart with such dripping emotion that you can feel the tears falling from his face into your face (if it has not been stolen right from your head )and then another two Chuck Berry tunes of Around and Around into Johnny B Goode (can we ever get enough of the late dearly departed great Chuck Berry ? ) For the encores we have a super killer Shakedown Street which holds special meaning to me because of it's title , and it's lyrics, which then reprises Uncle John's band .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-16 19:04 by TheGreek.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 16, 2017 19:43

I highly recommend the new Amazon documentary "Long Strange Trip". It is superb.

Until recently, I was a very casual Dead fan. Saw them a few times, including the massive Bill Graham Memorial show in Golden Gate Park, as well as one of Jerry's last shows. Pittsburgh 95, about 6 weeks before he passed.

The Amazon doc pushed me back into full Dead mode since, and I have taken a deeper dive into some of the more popular live shows. I am shocked at how much I've underestimated Jerry's musical ability. This current Dead phase I'm in has exposed to me to some of the best music I've ever heard. I've had Cornell 77 on a loop for the past week. If I understand correctly, this show is to Deadheads what Brussels 73 is to us. Take a listen sometime.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: August 16, 2017 20:48

Kennedy
I highly recommend the new Amazon documentary "Long Strange Trip". It is superb.

Until recently, I was a very casual Dead fan. Saw them a few times, including the massive Bill Graham Memorial show in Golden Gate Park, as well as one of Jerry's last shows. Pittsburgh 95, about 6 weeks before he passed.

The Amazon doc pushed me back into full Dead mode since, and I have taken a deeper dive into some of the more popular live shows. I am shocked at how much I've underestimated Jerry's musical ability. This current Dead phase I'm in has exposed to me to some of the best music I've ever heard. I've had Cornell 77 on a loop for the past week. If I understand correctly, this show is to Deadheads what Brussels 73 is to us. Take a listen sometime.

[en.wikipedia.org]

also get the amazon exclusive 3 disc soundtrack

Date: August 16, 2017 23:07

TheGreek
[www.setlists.net] 12/26/79. LongBeachArena72, I racked my brain trying to think of a show to represent the splendor , the magic , the vibe , the essence of the Brent Mydland era and this came to mind .This show features Phil Lesh dropping one of his infamous bombs during The Other One .Such a great setlist with fine playing by Captain Trips .The show opens with Cold Rain and Snow to set the mood for the evening .Another first set highlight for me is the double combo of Me and My Uncle which goes right into the crowd favorite of Big River from the man in black Johnny Cash .The last two songs of the set list are powerhouse Alabama Getaway into Promised Land (pretty nice bookends of the Chuck Berry hits for the first set). Now for the fun stuff in the second set which kicks off with my Uncle John's Band into Estimated Prophet which is so sublime and hypnotic to set the vibe ,right into He's Gone followed by the evenings pyro fireworks from Phil Lesh bomb in The Other One and then we are off into the Billy and Mickey show of Drums which is from another world right into trip your mind right out into Space (one of the best I might mention with Whale sounds ) Now we are into the orgasmic bliss of Not Fade Away into Brokedown Palace where Jerry just breaks your heart with such dripping emotion that you can feel the tears falling from his face into your face (if it has not been stolen right from your head )and then another two Chuck Berry tunes of Around and Around into Johnny B Goode (can we ever get enough of the late dearly departed great Chuck Berry ? ) For the encores we have a super killer Shakedown Street which holds special meaning to me because of it's title , and it's lyrics, which then reprises Uncle John's band .

Nice--I'm on it, TG--thanks!

Date: August 16, 2017 23:10

keefriffhard4life
Kennedy

[en.wikipedia.org]

Yeah, Cornell is ridonkulously good--that whole Spring 77 tour is probably my favorite version of the band ... at least right now.

(Kennedy, in case you don't know it, try the August 72 show at Veneta, Oregon; if Cornell is Brussells, then Veneta may be MSG 69. I know, I know, Veneta is a super-obvs suggestion, so forgive me if you already dig it.)

And re: the soundtrack: the highlight for me was the "Morning Dew" from the Lyceum on 5/24/72. I know it's been available before but this was the first time I really studied it ... and, man, that is a brain-melting piece of music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-16 23:12 by LongBeachArena72.

Date: August 17, 2017 01:40

LongBeachArena72
keefriffhard4life
Kennedy

[en.wikipedia.org]

Yeah, Cornell is ridonkulously good--that whole Spring 77 tour is probably my favorite version of the band ... at least right now.

(Kennedy, in case you don't know it, try the August 72 show at Veneta, Oregon; if Cornell is Brussells, then Veneta may be MSG 69. I know, I know, Veneta is a super-obvs suggestion, so forgive me if you already dig it.)

And re: the soundtrack: the highlight for me was the "Morning Dew" from the Lyceum on 5/24/72. I know it's been available before but this was the first time I really studied it ... and, man, that is a brain-melting piece of music.

The new Cornell release(along with New Haven, Buffalo and Bston are disappointing to my ears. The vocals are way too far back in the mix, A rare miss-step by Betty Cantor. 1-22-78 and last year's July '78 release are much better IMO.

Date: August 17, 2017 07:07

Maindefender
LongBeachArena72
keefriffhard4life
Kennedy

[en.wikipedia.org]

The new Cornell release(along with New Haven, Buffalo and Bston are disappointing to my ears. The vocals are way too far back in the mix, A rare miss-step by Betty Cantor. 1-22-78 and last year's July '78 release are much better IMO.

That's a bummer, MD. I don't have the official Cornell release so can't comment--have always just listened to YouTube or archive.org versions. Red Rocks 7-8-78 is an incredible show, but alas I slept on the July 78 box ... thankfully Red Rocks is on Spotify.

And, for whatever reason, while all of Dick's Picks--including V5, which is The Greek's rec above--are on Spotify, none of Dave's Picks are.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 17, 2017 07:58

Jerry and Nicky Hopkins did some great stuff together. Who knew?

Date: August 17, 2017 12:52

Chester
Jerry and Nicky Hopkins did some great stuff together. Who knew?
Nicky played with all of the greats.

Date: August 17, 2017 19:07

LongBeachArena72
Maindefender
LongBeachArena72
keefriffhard4life
Kennedy

[en.wikipedia.org]

That's a bummer, MD. I don't have the official Cornell release so can't comment--have always just listened to YouTube or archive.org versions. Red Rocks 7-8-78 is an incredible show, but alas I slept on the July 78 box ... thankfully Red Rocks is on Spotify.

And, for whatever reason, while all of Dick's Picks--including V5, which is The Greek's rec above--are on Spotify, none of Dave's Picks are.

The July '78 Box is still available for what it's worth.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home