Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Very OT (but interesting): your review on writing software
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 6, 2017 13:49

I have tested some non-fiction and fiction creative software.

Global advise seems to run away from MS Word (I use Windows) and choose instead a more writing-friendly software.

Before trying to sort out which one is the best, or the more suitable for you, first thing seems to divide them in sub-genre, which is basically: the ones who help you to build a story, and the ones who help you to write words in a more easy way. The downside is not to get lost in the user manual..

In the first range, I tried Dramatica Pro (I got lost), PowerStructure (less complicated) and Story Weaver... (more easier)

I write in French, but no problemo as Terminator would say, for the linguistic part.

I see professional writers are enthusiast with Scrivener, which seems to combine the two genres (help to structure a story, and to write)... What about it.

As the thread is opened, would you suggest some book to build a story or shape characters. I have read a couple, which were quite useful.

G

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-07 00:42 by The Joker.

Re: Very OT (but interesting): your review on writing software
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 6, 2017 16:14

I'm a Mac guy and just use the wp app in Libre Office; can't stand MS Word and do not use any writing specific software.

When manuscript is done, I bring it into Pages or IBooks Author in order to prepare the electronic/ebook version of the thing.

For whatever that's worth ...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 6, 2017 23:09

Ha, I thought this thread was about ACTUALLY coding software, which I do for a living (mostly embedded C and C++ for industrial/electronics applications).

Nevermind...carry on, you creative people!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 7, 2017 00:48

keefriff99
Ha, I thought this thread was about ACTUALLY coding software, which I do for a living (mostly embedded C and C++ for industrial/electronics applications).

Nevermind...carry on, you creative people!

(Now-censured) intro was maybe naive, but I felt somehow necessary to explain why because it was so OT.

Never mind, keefriff99, you did make me feel idiot, so I would say your post was indeed creative.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1559
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home