Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones at the Oakland Coliseum July 26 1978 - Super8 footage
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 3, 2017 15:29

From the video description:

"My dear friend Tommy Hughes invited me to see The Rolling Stones at the Oakland Coliseum July 26 1978. I was 16 and just bought a used super 8, so I brought it. Nearly 30 years later, 6 months after Tommy's passing, I discovered these gems in a drawer. Thought I would add music to them and share smiling smiley Tommy screamed "Monkey Man", so in his honor it's the last song."

The Rolling Stones at the Oakland Coliseum July 26 1978

Re: Rolling Stones at the Oakland Coliseum July 26 1978 - Super8 footage
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 3, 2017 15:52

Coool!
Great upload, nice document of a special concert.

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: August 3, 2017 17:15

Nice footage! Thanks for posting.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 3, 2017 17:50

Nice archival footage of the '78 stadium experience and really appreciate the effort put into to sharing it. I kinda wish the audio was from any of the many 78 soundboards rather than a mix of Love you Live and 2000 era stuff. I get the Monkey Man tribute, but Just saying . . . .

HBK

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: August 3, 2017 19:41

What the hell are they dropping out of the helicopter?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 3, 2017 20:09

Jfk19562003
What the hell are they dropping out of the helicopter?

No kidding. I thought it was water at first. And maybe it was. But also a few 1st generation "Lucky Dip" winners??? Strange indeed.

Surely there's an IORRian somewhere who will see this thread and know what that was all about.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: August 3, 2017 21:04

Very cool -- thx

Who's the "4th guitarist" on stage near the keyboards at 6:49? (he's wearing a pink shirt & a vest)
Is that a guitar tech or did someone join them?

Doesn't look like Santana and it's hard to tell if it's Eddie Money (and doesn't really make sense to have him join them on stage and play guitar).

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-03 21:15 by GS1978.

Date: August 3, 2017 21:11

The songs that were dubbed in - obviously not from the 78 tour, and Monkey Man and CYHMK are from post 89. We have a thread going on Pg 1 about when Keith's playing deteriorated. I can say he's alright on those two late era cuts.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 4, 2017 01:00

Palace Revolution 2000
The songs that were dubbed in - obviously not from the 78 tour, and Monkey Man and CYHMK are from post 89. We have a thread going on Pg 1 about when Keith's playing deteriorated. I can say he's alright on those two late era cuts.

We should start referring to Keith's playing as pre-Fiji and post-Fiji. We lost the old Keith when he fell from that tree.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 4, 2017 01:51

That's cool footage! So evocative (although it's way before my time). That place looks enormous!

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 4, 2017 02:15

Cool, thanks for finding and sharing Bob Ranche's footage CR

CHEERS TOMMY!!! smileys with beer CHEERS BOB!!

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 4, 2017 02:50

Cool footage, love the crowd. Must've been wild. Probably half the audience are on Quaaludes and peyote... I've read accounts of the crowds being like a dribbling drooling mess by the end of the first support band with the deluge of narcotics sweeping across society at the time. The Blizzard was just beginning.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 4, 2017 03:56

SKILLS
Cool footage, love the crowd. Must've been wild. Probably half the audience are on Quaaludes and peyote... I've read accounts of the crowds being like a dribbling drooling mess by the end of the first support band with the deluge of narcotics sweeping across society at the time. The Blizzard was just beginning.

That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I recall at the '81 L.A. Coliseum shows, people passing out outside the gates before they even opened at 11:00 AM when we arrived. Being that they were GA shows, people lined up for hours on end prior to entrance time - some lining up the night before. Being that I was 18 and still in fighting shape, I managed to endure two of those shows just fine - but then again I only smoked weed and didn't spend hours in line drinking and partying throughout the previous night.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 4, 2017 05:29

My favorite tour.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 4, 2017 12:04

I can't play it - when I click the link it says "video not playable"??

Date: August 4, 2017 19:30

24FPS
Palace Revolution 2000

We should start referring to Keith's playing as pre-Fiji and post-Fiji. We lost the old Keith when he fell from that tree.

Maybe old Keith is still up in that tree.

Date: August 4, 2017 23:49

john lomax
I can't play it - when I click the link it says "video not playable"??

It's still there. Perhaps it's not playable in some devices like cellphones, for example.

Posted by: getdown ()
Date: August 5, 2017 00:06

So the 1978 concert at the Oakland Coliseum was on Mick's birthday and from the helicopter they dropped ping pong balls that said "Happy Birthday Mick"...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 5, 2017 14:51

Ah, the '78 tour. I was so excited about seeing them. I figured it'd be my one and only chance, since it was almost certainly going to be their last tour.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: August 6, 2017 00:04

getdown
So the 1978 concert at the Oakland Coliseum was on Mick's birthday and from the helicopter they dropped ping pong balls that said "Happy Birthday Mick"...

Yes, they dropped ping pong balls w/ the Stones logo and some said "Happy Birthday Mick". They also dropped several sex dolls onto the crowd!!

I've still my ping pong ball somewhere. I never get tired of the 1978 Tour!!

Posted by: edkeef ()
Date: August 6, 2017 00:07

WOW!!! So cool to see this! I was there that day!

This was actually my second Rolling Stones concert, the first being 3 days earlier in Anaheim, as initially, there was not going to be a Bay Area show at all.

The time in between the last opening band and the Stones was nearly 2 hours and the crowd was getting restless!(we later heard due to happy birthday Mick partying backstage).

Seemingly out of nowhere, we hear and see helicopters circling above the stadium.... having no idea why they were there and what they were doing....,
All of a sudden they start dropping something out the side door down upon the crowd! We have no idea! Immediately different colored ping pong balls start raining down all over the stadium!
What was scary, however, were what appeared to be people parachuting down with the ping pong balls. Except there were no parachutes opening. Seriously, we thought there were people falling to the ground! Only to find out they were life size blow up dolls! Greatest opening moments of any Rolling Stones concert ever!!!

And then ripping into "Let it Rock", which, at the time, had no idea what song that actually was!

Does anyone know if any professional filming took place? I would imagine if that was the case, something would have leaked out through the years!

My hope would be eventually The Stones release all available soundboards from all the tours as at least downloads. Cash flow Mick, if you need any other reason! While many would argue most erratic tour, my "virgin" tour, and while others would rather have more rehearsed and professional performances, I will take drunk and sloppy Rolling Stones from this era anytime. This and the 81-82 tours were the last ones where you can still feel passion and fire, playing as if there was something still left to prove.

Thanks so much for sharing this great memory.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 6, 2017 01:04

Yes, they dropped ping pong balls w/ the Stones logo and some said "Happy Birthday Mick". They also dropped several sex dolls onto the crowd!!

---------

Seemingly out of nowhere, we hear and see helicopters circling above the stadium.... having no idea why they were there and what they were doing....,
All of a sudden they start dropping something out the side door down upon the crowd! We have no idea! Immediately different colored ping pong balls start raining down all over the stadium!
What was scary, however, were what appeared to be people parachuting down with the ping pong balls. Except there were no parachutes opening. Seriously, we thought there were people falling to the ground! Only to find out they were life size blow up dolls! Greatest opening moments of any Rolling Stones concert ever!!!

-----------

That is fking HILARIOUS!!! Happy Birthday Mick indeed!
What a nutty off the wall idea someone had... and not cheap... BUT FUN!!!

Thank you both for filling us in on that hilarity smoking smiley

GET TO THE CHOPPA!!! and bring sex dolls and ping pong balls grinning smiley

Date: August 6, 2017 01:17

Cool story, edkeef. Thanks for sharing.

edkeef
Does anyone know if any professional filming took place?

According to Nico Zentgraf:

"Also a professional film of the whole show is reported to exist."

[nzentgraf.de]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 6, 2017 01:27

edkeef
WOW!!! So cool to see this! I was there that day!

This was actually my second Rolling Stones concert, the first being 3 days earlier in Anaheim, as initially, there was not going to be a Bay Area show at all.

The time in between the last opening band and the Stones was nearly 2 hours and the crowd was getting restless!(we later heard due to happy birthday Mick partying backstage).

And then ripping into "Let it Rock", which, at the time, had no idea what song that actually was!

Does anyone know if any professional filming took place? I would imagine if that was the case, something would have leaked out through the years!

My hope would be eventually The Stones release all available soundboards from all the tours as at least downloads. Cash flow Mick, if you need any other reason! While many would argue most erratic tour, my "virgin" tour, and while others would rather have more rehearsed and professional performances, I will take drunk and sloppy Rolling Stones from this era anytime. This and the 81-82 tours were the last ones where you can still feel passion and fire, playing as if there was something still left to prove.

Thanks so much for sharing this great memory.

Awesome first hand account - thanks! thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2114
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home