Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Coldplay closing in on Bigger Bang's Tour Gross
Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: August 1, 2017 05:59

[en.wikipedia.org]

Coldplay currently have the 5th highest grossing tour of all time. They still have a North American leg ahead of them of over 20 shows (a mix of arenas and stadiums), and 5 shows in Brazil and Argentina to end things. They'll easily overtake AC/DC and Roger Waters for the #3 spot. I don't think they'll beat the Stones record, but they probably could if they were willing to add some more shows and make the tour longer. But they're definitely closing in, and probably will beat it someday (as long as they don't do something stupid to ruin their career).

It would take a lot to overthrow U2's record. At some point somebody will, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-01 06:00 by podiumboy.

Re: Coldplay closing in on Bigger Bang's Tour Gross
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 1, 2017 06:09

Good for them.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 1, 2017 06:10

podiumboy
[en.wikipedia.org]

Coldplay currently have the 5th highest grossing tour of all time. They still have a North American leg ahead of them of over 20 shows (a mix of arenas and stadiums), and 5 shows in Brazil and Argentina to end things. They'll easily overtake AC/DC and Roger Waters for the #3 spot. I don't think they'll beat the Stones record, but they probably could if they were willing to add some more shows and make the tour longer. But they're definitely closing in, and probably will beat it someday (as long as they don't do something stupid to ruin their career).

It would take a lot to overthrow U2's record. At some point somebody will, though.
I don't know if I agree with that. Some records are simply unbreakable. Just look at the raw numbers U2 put up. It's almost impossible to fathom given where the music industry is right now.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 1, 2017 08:47

What does it mean? Were the ABB tour tickets too cheap ;-)

Date: August 1, 2017 09:15

I wonder which position the 2012-17 tour would have if it was counted as one tour (which it was setlist-wise).

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 1, 2017 09:50

That's inflation for you.

Give it long enough and a band touring the local pubs will gross more than ABB grinning smiley

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 1, 2017 16:57

These lists are meaningless unless they are adjusted for inflation.

Date: August 1, 2017 18:26

stanlove
These lists are meaningless unless they are adjusted for inflation.
If you sort the list by inflation (it's there), then the Stones have #2, #3, #10 and #12 all-time.

So 4 of the top 12 tours of all time belong to the Stones. U2 has 2, and no other band has more than one.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 1, 2017 18:48

At least they won't be closing in on Bigger Bang's fan base.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 1, 2017 18:59

Rather than looking at gross takings, what about a comparison of Attendances/ tickets sold?
At least with that measure, inflation isn't a factor.
Anyone have the information?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 1, 2017 19:08

stonehearted
At least they won't be closing in on Bigger Bang's fan base.

grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: August 1, 2017 19:09

Does anyone actually like Coldplay ?

Date: August 1, 2017 19:09

jlowe
Rather than looking at gross takings, what about a comparison of Attendances/ tickets sold?
You can sort by any number on the Wiki page.

[en.wikipedia.org]

For instance, the Voodoo Loung tour is #11 by raw gross, but it's number #2 all time for total attendance (6.3 million). Only U2's 360 had more in attendance (7.7 million).

That, in my opinion, says WAY more about how massive a draw the Stones were back then than any ticket gross number.

Date: August 1, 2017 19:11

paulywaul
Does anyone actually like Coldplay ?
Aside from the song Clocks, I have very little interest in them.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 1, 2017 19:12

jlowe

Still difficult to equate objectively. Population has increased, for one.

Date: August 1, 2017 19:16

keefriff99
jlowe

[en.wikipedia.org]

For instance, the Voodoo Loung tour is #11 by raw gross, but it's number #2 all time for total attendance (6.3 million). Only U2's 360 had more in attendance (7.7 million).

That, in my opinion, says WAY more about how massive a draw the Stones were back then than any ticket gross number.

The 360 Tour went on two years and one month, VL one year and one month. If VL had continued (as was planned) it would have been by far the most visited tour ever.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 1, 2017 19:18

keefriff99
jlowe

[en.wikipedia.org]

Thanks very much.
U2 records will take some beating.
I wonder which Act generates the most profit? The running costs of the Stones shows, despite Mick's oversight,seem to be at the top end.
Roger Waters, as a solo performer must be taking home the most dosh. Or perhaps Macca?

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: August 1, 2017 19:22

They are playing here tonight at Metlife Stadium and its not even half sold!
So not sure if being the 5th highest gross means anything.

Date: August 1, 2017 19:34

Monsoon Ragoon
keefriff99
jlowe

[en.wikipedia.org]

The 360 Tour went on two years and one month, VL one year and one month. If VL had continued (as was planned) it would have been by far the most visited tour ever.
Hmm, I've never heard about the VL tour being cut short. Do you have any additional info on why that was?

Date: August 1, 2017 20:05

keefriff99
Monsoon Ragoon
keefriff99
jlowe

[en.wikipedia.org]

Hmm, I've never heard about the VL tour being cut short. Do you have any additional info on why that was?

There was a tour in US major markets, South America and Asia (incl. Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok etc.) planned for 1996. See Beggars Banquet fanzine.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 1, 2017 20:08

spikenyc
I hate Coldplay but respectfully, what the @#$%& are you talking about? There's probably like 50 tickets available on Ticketmaster, and even if you count resale tickets the thing is way more than half sold. No one has to like them, but don't spread bullshit that anyone can easily refute. They legitmately sell a lot of tickets. I'm not sure why that offends you to the point that you have to make up that they don't.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: August 1, 2017 20:38

Coldplay are about as exciting as a letter from the taxman.

Nate

Date: August 1, 2017 21:01

RollingFreak
spikenyc
I hate Coldplay but respectfully, what the @#$%& are you talking about? There's probably like 50 tickets available on Ticketmaster, and even if you count resale tickets the thing is way more than half sold. No one has to like them, but don't spread bullshit that anyone can easily refute. They legitmately sell a lot of tickets. I'm not sure why that offends you to the point that you have to make up that they don't.
I was gonna say that's gotta be some bullshit sales number. No way they only sold 50% of tix.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 1, 2017 21:27

podiumboy
[en.wikipedia.org]

But if you were to add up all the Stones tours together since 89' no one will ever come close. Especially if you allow for deflation, a £25 ticket in 1990 would cost ten times that today.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 1, 2017 21:31

The last 10-15 years seem like the gilded age of touring, with acts making 20-30 times more per night compared to tours back when tickets cost 10-30 bucks and the tour was mostly a way to market the new album.

Date: August 1, 2017 21:35

Nate
Coldplay are about as exciting as a letter from the taxman.

Nate

grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

So er ........ very very very exciting then ?

Date: August 1, 2017 21:38

a £25 ticket in 1990 would cost ten times that today.

According to these guys, a $25 ticket (considering inflation alone) would cost 44 bucks today.

Looks like £25 in pounds is now £57

But indeed tickets these days seem to cost 10-20 more than they did back in 1990.

Date: August 1, 2017 21:50

HankM
The last 10-15 years seem like the gilded age of touring, with acts making 20-30 times more per night compared to tours back when tickets cost 10-30 bucks and the tour was mostly a way to market the new album.
I think it's due to all of the '60s and '70s bands aging along with their fanbase, and the baby boomers having more and more disposable income and a desire to relive their teens and twenties.

The only band in the Top 20 who caters to teens is One Direction, and that's a flash in the pan group.

Coldplay is on the border...their first album came out in 2000, so most of their fans are probably currently in their mid 20s through early 40s.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: August 1, 2017 22:14

Everything's turning to gold - including, in this case, shit.

Date: August 1, 2017 22:53

keefriff99
HankM
I think it's due to all of the '60s and '70s bands aging along with their fanbase, and the baby boomers having more and more disposable income and a desire to relive their teens and twenties.

The only band in the Top 20 who caters to teens is One Direction, and that's a flash in the pan group.

Coldplay is on the border...their first album came out in 2000, so most of their fans are probably currently in their mid 20s through early 40s.

Not just them, but also I see box office take for acts like Katy Parry, Jackson bleiuber, Tailer Swifp and other of their ilk that are phenomenal. I am guessing the money being spent on those teeny acts is coming from the same wallet/purse that is spending money on the aging groups tickets aka the parents money.

The producers, arenas owners, ticket sellers etc etc seem to have the marketing plan down to a science these days and they are making so much money...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1637
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home