Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What ever happened to Rock n Roll ?
Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: July 18, 2017 16:24

I cant see any thread on this before so if ya did not catch this kinda interesting show from BBC4 on or around 7 july check it out on BBC I Player.
it features john c clark, eric burden amonst others.

Below is my best effort to give ya alink.. if it dont work.. bugger....!!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: What ever happened to Rock n Roll ?
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 18, 2017 16:56

"What ever happened to Rock n Roll?"

It was mortally wounded by Grandmaster Flash, then had its throat slit by Kurtis Blow.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 18, 2017 17:08

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 19, 2017 00:48

It died, finally, when Kurt Cobain blew his brains out April 1994. Except for the occasional flicker like the White Stripes, it's nothing but museum pieces, playing out the string for suckers willing to fork out the dough at Fogey Fests like Oldchella last year and Classic West and Classic West this summer.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 19, 2017 01:08

Yeah!!!

video: [youtu.be]

smileys with beer

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 19, 2017 02:59

Nothing. Nothing happened to it. The posers and fashionista have moved along to elsewhere. Good Riddance. It's outside the borders where it belongs. When it sneaks up on You. Boom. Rockers rock.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 19, 2017 04:58

RIP

-Doxa

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 19, 2017 07:44

It ended up on HEE-HAW and in Vegas partly because of the British Invasion.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: July 19, 2017 08:36

To paraphrase Frank Zappa, it's not dead, it just smells kind of funny.

Kids these days seem more attracted to virtual reality than reality, so there's that. I live next to a 40,000 student state university in Seattle (the University of Washington), but rarely do you hear of any Rock shows on the campus or in student housing. The bands playing the clubs are usually from out of town or not affiliated with the school. 30 years ago when I was at a smaller state school (The University Of Virginia), there were multiple shows on weekend nights in frat house basements and local clubs featuring student bands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-19 08:37 by Javadave.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 19, 2017 09:39

Nothing happened to rock and roll, it's alive and well, always has been. You just have to look in the right places, which means clubs (where you can find rock bands playing every week) and satellite radio (where you can find rock bands being played all over the dial) and streaming services and Bandcamp and . . . . Just look, it's there.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 19, 2017 10:58

Aquamarine
Nothing happened to rock and roll, it's alive and well, always has been. You just have to look in the right places, which means clubs (where you can find rock bands playing every week) and satellite radio (where you can find rock bands being played all over the dial) and streaming services and Bandcamp and . . . . Just look, it's there.
I think what the question asks, is about its dominant force in pop culture -- and, for the last 17 years or so at least, it hasn't been there.

There used to be a saying: "sex and drugs and rock and roll." That was definitive of a culture -- television and film, the soundtracks, the attitudes, it was all over the place. It isn't now.

Sure, you can find rock n' roll in clubs -- if you look for it. The same way you can find blues and jazz. If you look for it, you can even find classical, baroque, show tunes.

But if you have to look for it, that means it isn't there, as something all pervasive and defining a culture.

The world has moved on.

Rock and roll was never meant to be the last word in cultural history, as if it could ever be 1972 forever.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 19, 2017 11:56

Rock 'n Roll evolved, as music has always done. Nothing stays the same is life's lesson.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 19, 2017 13:16

Javadave
To paraphrase Frank Zappa, it's not dead, it just smells kind of funny.

Zappa was an idiot of the worst kind, the literate kind. Literate idiots think their opinion matters sooooo much because they've read soooooo many books and they're soooooooo sophisticated people, far above the herd.

Well wrong Frankie : your opinions rarely fared above Joe Blow's at his favorite bar. And unlike Joe you weren't funny, ever.
And your music sucks. Zappa was so much "above" the common person that he couldn't bring himself to enjoy rock'n roll or (oh God!) play some rock'n roll.

Big mistake Frankie...

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 19, 2017 13:45

Zappa said it about Jazz.

Date: July 19, 2017 14:09

dcba

Well wrong Frankie : your opinions rarely fared above Joe Blow's at his favorite bar. And unlike Joe you weren't funny, ever.
And your music sucks. Zappa was so much "above" the common person that he couldn't bring himself to enjoy rock'n roll or (oh God!) play some rock'n roll.

Big mistake Frankie...

tongue sticking out smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 19, 2017 15:02

Killed by a 30heaed monster:

1. Rap
2. MTV no longer playing music
3. Grunge, especially Kobain, a poor excuse for a musician

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 19, 2017 15:34

Elmo Lewis

1. Rap
"I'll take 'Tired, cliched and overly-simplistic answers to complex questions from old and out-of-touch people for 1000, Alex.' "

Date: July 19, 2017 15:42

stonehearted
Aquamarine
I think what the question asks, is about its dominant force in pop culture -- and, for the last 17 years or so at least, it hasn't been there.

There used to be a saying: "sex and drugs and rock and roll." That was definitive of a culture -- television and film, the soundtracks, the attitudes, it was all over the place. It isn't now.

Sure, you can find rock n' roll in clubs -- if you look for it. The same way you can find blues and jazz. If you look for it, you can even find classical, baroque, show tunes.

But if you have to look for it, that means it isn't there, as something all pervasive and defining a culture.

The world has moved on.

Rock and roll was never meant to be the last word in cultural history, as if it could ever be 1972 forever.
Exactly.

I'm not going to denigrate current pop music because:

IT'S NOT FOR ME. Just like the Stones weren't for teens' parents in the '60s, or Alice Cooper wasn't for teens' parents in the '70s, or Slayer wasn't for teens' parents in the '80s.

No matter how much I may hear a modern pop song and go "Yeesh. Yeah, can't do it...not for me", I'm not going to give in and start bitching like an angry old man, because it makes me sound bitter, old and out of touch.

And there are plenty of kids who listen to rock from the '60s-'90s. You see comments from teens on YouTube all the time who say this is the music they like, and their peers think they're weirdos. That's where the next great of rock album may come from.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 19, 2017 15:47

Elmo Lewis

1. Rap

MTV in mo opinion killed Rock 'n' Roll.

'Music' became all about fashion at that point but then led the Rap introduction (which I thought would go the way of disco and be long forgotten by now!).

Grunge was a return to basics in some regards, loud guitars, and flannel smoking smiley. I liked Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. Wasn't a Nirvana fan at all though I do like some of the Foo Fighters stuff.

Date: July 19, 2017 19:39

keefriff99
Elmo Lewis

1. Rap
"I'll take 'Tired, cliched and overly-simplistic answers to complex questions from old and out-of-touch people for 1000, Alex.' "

I take offense to every thing you say in your post. You're entitled to your opinion (no matter how brain dead), just like I am. Considering the source, I'm complimented that you disagree with me. Now go back to listening to One Direction.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 19, 2017 19:53

24FPS
It died, finally, when Kurt Cobain blew his brains out April 1994. Except for the occasional flicker like the White Stripes, it's nothing but museum pieces, playing out the string for suckers willing to fork out the dough at Fogey Fests like Oldchella last year and Classic West and Classic West this summer.

thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 19, 2017 19:54

Elmo Lewis

1. Rap

Cobain was gifted and one hellavu songwriter.

Date: July 19, 2017 19:57

Elmo Lewis
keefriff99
Elmo Lewis

1. Rap

I take offense to every thing you say in your post. You're entitled to your opinion (no matter how brain dead), just like I am. Considering the source, I'm complimented that you disagree with me. Now go back to listening to One Direction.
Never heard even one song by them. But keep trying...you'll hit the mark eventually.

We probably have near-identical taste in music...I just try my best to keep an open mind and not yell at the kids to get off my lawn.

Date: July 19, 2017 20:25

Not that it matters, but I recorded with four 20-somethings last night.

It's amazing how you know so much about me and my musical tastes having never met or even chatted on here before (that I remember).

Anyway, to each his own ...

Date: July 19, 2017 20:37

Elmo Lewis
Not that it matters, but I recorded with four 20-somethings last night.

It's amazing how you know so much about me and my musical tastes having never met or even chatted on here before (that I remember).

Anyway, to each his own ...
That's great. I'm not judging you...I've just heard the old "Oh, MTV and rap killed music" cliche for over 20 years. It's a very well-worn and not terribly accurate or complete analysis IMO. No harm meant.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 19, 2017 22:02

I used to see kids with transistor radios, then diskmans playing music.... Now I see mobile phones and texting, possibly with free streaming music, no change.

As to the music however, to each their own tastes (if you're here, we have an idea already)

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 19, 2017 22:59

i think society and the entertainment world is kind of regressing in a lot of ways.

take british situation comedy, it had its heyday in the 1970,s. its poor now.

popular music including rock and roll had its heyday from the mid 60,s to mid 80,s. again its poor today in comparisen

films, its best days range from the 30,s to 70,s, today its all CGI and disproportionate amounts of needless sex and violence to bulk up poor direction and production.

science and technology might have moved on but the biggest single science and tech achievement was the apollo moon landings of the late 60,s early 70,s.

we now live in a world dominated by reality shows, rap music, almost naked bimbo bands with no talent, where almost everything we want is a button away, and a world where people struggle to find real contentment and happiness in the way previous generations did.

Date: July 19, 2017 23:14

buttons67
i think society and the entertainment world is kind of regressing in a lot of ways.

take british situation comedy, it had its heyday in the 1970,s. its poor now.

popular music including rock and roll had its heyday from the mid 60,s to mid 80,s. again its poor today in comparisen

films, its best days range from the 30,s to 70,s, today its all CGI and disproportionate amounts of needless sex and violence to bulk up poor direction and production.

science and technology might have moved on but the biggest single science and tech achievement was the apollo moon landings of the late 60,s early 70,s.

we now live in a world dominated by reality shows, rap music, almost naked bimbo bands with no talent, where almost everything we want is a button away, and a world where people struggle to find real contentment and happiness in the way previous generations did.
You can't see T&A in any Hollywood movie nowadays. R-rated nudity is a relic of the '80s and early '90s. Sex has been completely sanitized in film.

Of course, violence is A-okay in America. We love to abuse, humiliate and murder people here.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 19, 2017 23:20

ive nothing against sex or violence in films if thats what the subject matter suggests, but a lot of todays films are not what you would want to watch in front of your family of kids, but in generations gone by, a good action film could be watched by the whole family, films like the great escape, nowadays whats considered family entertainment is really just films for kids. thats why i never watch modern films.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 19, 2017 23:25

buttons67
ive nothing against sex or violence in films if thats what the subject matter suggests, but a lot of todays films are not what you would want to watch in front of your family of kids, but in generations gone by, a good action film could be watched by the whole family, films like the great escape, nowadays whats considered family entertainment is really just films for kids. thats why i never watch modern films.

I don't know, man. Have you ever seen Bonnie and Clyde? Or just about any Sam Peckinpah film?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home