Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What ever happened to Rock n Roll ?
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 19, 2017 23:28

LongBeachArena72
buttons67
ive nothing against sex or violence in films if thats what the subject matter suggests, but a lot of todays films are not what you would want to watch in front of your family of kids, but in generations gone by, a good action film could be watched by the whole family, films like the great escape, nowadays whats considered family entertainment is really just films for kids. thats why i never watch modern films.

I don't know, man. Have you ever seen Bonnie and Clyde? Or just about any Sam Peckinpah film?
Hell, how about Die Hard or Lethal Weapon? Both are 30 years old and were loaded with swearing, violence and a few quick T&A shots.

Hollywood just doesn't make those kinds of films anymore, although John Wick and Atomic Blonde may be evidence that they're coming back in some way. The Nice Guys (with Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe) was a great throwback to the '80s R-Rated action film, but few saw it.

On the other hand, you can watch any Marvel film with the whole family.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 20, 2017 01:17

stonehearted
Aquamarine
Nothing happened to rock and roll, it's alive and well, always has been. You just have to look in the right places, which means clubs (where you can find rock bands playing every week) and satellite radio (where you can find rock bands being played all over the dial) and streaming services and Bandcamp and . . . . Just look, it's there.
I think what the question asks, is about its dominant force in pop culture -- and, for the last 17 years or so at least, it hasn't been there.

There used to be a saying: "sex and drugs and rock and roll." That was definitive of a culture -- television and film, the soundtracks, the attitudes, it was all over the place. It isn't now.

Sure, you can find rock n' roll in clubs -- if you look for it. The same way you can find blues and jazz. If you look for it, you can even find classical, baroque, show tunes.

But if you have to look for it, that means it isn't there, as something all pervasive and defining a culture.

The world has moved on.

Rock and roll was never meant to be the last word in cultural history, as if it could ever be 1972 forever.

When I say you have to look for it, I mean the people who ask whatever happened to rock have to look for it. Everybody else, especially the kids, know where it is. Also, music has become increasingly genreless over the past couple of decades, with rock and hip hop and blues and folk and etc. all melding together. When you refer to rock music these days, people take it as an umbrella word to describe modern music, as opposed to, say, classical music.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 20, 2017 01:25

Aquamarine
stonehearted
Aquamarine
Nothing happened to rock and roll, it's alive and well, always has been. You just have to look in the right places, which means clubs (where you can find rock bands playing every week) and satellite radio (where you can find rock bands being played all over the dial) and streaming services and Bandcamp and . . . . Just look, it's there.
I think what the question asks, is about its dominant force in pop culture -- and, for the last 17 years or so at least, it hasn't been there.

There used to be a saying: "sex and drugs and rock and roll." That was definitive of a culture -- television and film, the soundtracks, the attitudes, it was all over the place. It isn't now.

Sure, you can find rock n' roll in clubs -- if you look for it. The same way you can find blues and jazz. If you look for it, you can even find classical, baroque, show tunes.

But if you have to look for it, that means it isn't there, as something all pervasive and defining a culture.

The world has moved on.

Rock and roll was never meant to be the last word in cultural history, as if it could ever be 1972 forever.

When I say you have to look for it, I mean the people who ask whatever happened to rock have to look for it. Everybody else, especially the kids, know where it is. Also, music has become increasingly genreless over the past couple of decades, with rock and hip hop and blues and folk and etc. all melding together. When you refer to rock music these days, people take it as an umbrella word to describe modern music, as opposed to, say, classical music.

Uhh, respectfully disagree in the most vehement manner imaginable. Kids who are into Drake, Kanye, Jay-Z, and Kendrick most certainly do NOT think of themselves as being into 'rock.' They're into hip-hop. Check the streaming stats; hip-hop rules the world.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 20, 2017 01:26

RipThisBone

video: [youtu.be]

smileys with beer

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 20, 2017 02:20

LongBeachArena72
Aquamarine
stonehearted
Aquamarine

The world has moved on.

Uhh, respectfully disagree in the most vehement manner imaginable. Kids who are into Drake, Kanye, Jay-Z, and Kendrick most certainly do NOT think of themselves as being into 'rock.' They're into hip-hop. Check the streaming stats; hip-hop rules the world.

Those kids may not think of themselves that way, in the sense of using the same terminology, but listen to those artists and see how much they use guitar, for example, way beyond sampling. All the artists you named have also collaborated with musicians from all parts of the rock spectrum--by which, again, I just mean modern music--and have influences that go way beyond hip hop. A lot of other artists who might be labelled as belonging to other genres, on the other hand, incorporate a lot of hip hop. Rock is a lot of things these days, whatever word you actually use. I have students who love music and if you ask them what kind of music they like, they name artists, they don't name genres. And the artists they name rarely all fit one genre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-20 02:22 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 20, 2017 04:40

[www.youtube.com]

"...In the blackout they dance right into the aisle
And as the doors fly open even the promoter smiles
Someone takes his pants off and the rafters knock
Rock is dead, they say
Long live rock, long live rock, long live rock...
... i need it every night...be it dead or alive...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 20, 2017 05:50

Rock and Roll will NEVER DIE...or something.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 20, 2017 06:16

Aquamarine
LongBeachArena72
Aquamarine
stonehearted
Aquamarine

The world has moved on.

Those kids may not think of themselves that way, in the sense of using the same terminology, but listen to those artists and see how much they use guitar, for example, way beyond sampling. All the artists you named have also collaborated with musicians from all parts of the rock spectrum--by which, again, I just mean modern music--and have influences that go way beyond hip hop. A lot of other artists who might be labelled as belonging to other genres, on the other hand, incorporate a lot of hip hop. Rock is a lot of things these days, whatever word you actually use. I have students who love music and if you ask them what kind of music they like, they name artists, they don't name genres. And the artists they name rarely all fit one genre.

Well, this is not my experience, but you no doubt come into contact with way more 18-20 yr olds than I do. I have literally never spoken to an African-American teenager, for example, who did not refer to this music as hip-hop. Does hip-hop incorporate other forms of music? Sure. Much more frequently soul, r&b, and jazz, but also a little bit of rock. You've inspired me to dig a little deeper in my next interactions and try to explore to what degree kids into hip-hop today are even dimly aware of any 'rock' influences.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 20, 2017 06:32

Blues had a baby and named it Rock n Roll ......

Rock n Roll had a baby and named it......?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 20, 2017 07:30

BluzDude

Rock n Roll had an abortion and named it metal.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 20, 2017 15:14

BluzDude

Corporate Rock

Date: July 20, 2017 15:25

LongBeachArena72
Aquamarine
stonehearted
Aquamarine

The world has moved on.

That's the US. There is a world outside as well.

I can imagine kids in Europe believing Harry Styles's solo album is rock...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 20, 2017 15:29

stonehearted
BluzDude

Rock n Roll had an abortion and named it metal.
Ginger, is that you?

"I've seen where CREAM is sort of held responsible for the birth of heavy metal. Well, I would definitely go for aborting. [Laughs] I loathe and detest heavy metal. I think it is an abortion.

"A lot of these guys come up and say, 'Man, you were my influence, the way you thrashed the drums.' They don't seem to understand I was thrashing in order to hear what I was playing. It was anger, not enjoyment — and painful. I suffered on stage because of that [high amplifier] volume crap. I didn't like it then, and like it even less now.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: July 20, 2017 16:16

Rock and roll is fine. Alive and well...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 20, 2017 23:16

and it never forgets

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs upwinking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-20 23:19 by hopkins.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: July 21, 2017 23:27

Damm, what did i start.1111 it was just a show on bbc. HA. I Had no idea it would provoke this kinda result. But kool, ya guys rock me. its what it is.. seize the moment seize the day.. HST............

Posted by: HerMajestyBrenda ()
Date: August 6, 2017 10:53

I certainly hope that no one thinks r'n'r ia the Blue and Lonesome thing...

Date: August 6, 2017 11:42

What Aquamarine says it very much how I see it. It is always out there. It's part of the human nature, or the artist's spirit. It must be there.
I think what confuses matters is that the term 'rock'n roll' gets interpreted differently. IMO 'rock'n roll' stands for rebellion, freedom, the power to say what you believe in. But then in today's climate of infinite labeling and classifications; where the powers that be decide that we must be told what to know and like, and name - rock'n roll has come to mean only guitar/blues based classic rock. In the spirit of this corporate laziness, where a young mind now only thinks as little as possible, seeing as a machine has done most of it for us, the Hip Hop generation believes (erroneously) that 'rockn roll' is anything by a white musician who plays guitar.
I was talking to a friend of mine last week, who is a Hip Hop artist, and he says " Yeah man, bring your guitar, and we'll out you in the video so we can bridge it to the rockn roll people". I was trying to tell him that he was rockn roll himself.
Much of this is TV's fault. That freakin Idol/Voice syndrome, that has crossed all borders. Dandy is right in saying "There is a world beyond", but so much of it follows TV USA.

It always frustrates me when I see people stating that rock'n roll is dead. Classic Rock is dead; of course it is dead. The actual musicians have all turned 70, 80 or have croaked. I can only shake my head at still searching for Grateful Dead, Skynard, Moody Blues themes in a new world. But that very same spirit has always been here; has always fueled new uprisings and trends. I could sit here and list a long thread of names and happenings from Manchester to Seattle to Paris to Brazil, but everyone knows.
What is gone is good FM Radio, Record stores. But in a way it has been made much easier. You can find it on screen. You can go to these monster festivals. You just have to remind yourself what it was like to search for new names that you didn't recognize yet. How 3xciting that is.
And even in mainstream pop it's always bubbling. I know this goes back some years but, no one can say that Eminem's "Lose Yourself" doesn't rock your socks off.

Date: August 6, 2017 12:02

Had the greatest time today; block party; they hired a bar band; nothing special but really special at the same time; some classic hard rock; all covers; they picked some great songwriters from just the last ten years too; more like good rock bands w good songs from the 90's and 200o's...If rock and roll was dead they didn't tell all those people who were dancing grooving eating talking drinking laughing...guy in short hair and short baggy pants the lead singer; haha; but he had the moves. the mike stand in the air; down on his knees screaming when the AC/DC stuff came up; haha. it was super....rock on rock on rock on...i'm just a prisioner of rock and roll. you know in one way it was a really generic kinda well, shitty thing; and that is part of why it was so great; it wasn't sloppy or antyhing; it was good bar band versions done well and tight; nothing spectacular; nothing trying to veyr hrd to be...it was great....it was fabulous...rock and roll music is more precious than ever to me; look a LOt OF MY Friends are under thirty; a whole lot of really sweet people that are close to me; funny bright sarcastic, sick humor at it's sickest best...i'm almost forty years older than a lot of them; i give the beautiful women a look-see, knowing damn well that their FATHERS are younger than me; if one of these ladies likes me, and one kinda does...i'm like come on; there are people older than you walking around here that I've diapered a hundred times....haha; it's cool; i stretched the ol' bones...i can mashed potatoe; i can do the twist, tell me baby do you like it like this. tell me...tell me...tell me...tell me yeaaaaaaaaaa. i can reaally move; i'm in the groove do you lvoe me baby now that i can daance daaaacne daaaaaaacnbnne eyeah watch me now....take it easy baby; you drive me crazy; awwww with a little bit of soul now...hep.............................stand up; get into it. what you scared? no ones looking; stand up and see what your body does. now. tha'ts ropck and roll baby...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 6, 2017 18:08

Elmo Lewis
Killed by a 30heaed monster:

1. Rap
2. MTV no longer playing music
3. Grunge, especially Kobain, a poor excuse for a musician

Musicianship is highly overrated.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home