Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Two often overlooked great frontmen
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 10, 2005 03:46

Muddy Waters

and

Peter Wolf

Re: Two often overlooked great frontmen
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 10, 2005 03:51

but Wolf was a better frontman than Muddy from the limited footage of him I've seen.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: September 10, 2005 03:58

ive seen some geils concerts that blew me away ,,1st show was in 1970 ,,about 300 people their ,,i was leaning on the stage ,,they opened with WAIT ,,we all no that peter can cut a rug,,i missed their reunion tour a few years back thou,,F.Mac had me occupied

Date: September 10, 2005 04:18

Muddy had a command of his band, himself, and the audience like nobody else I've ever seen live. I will never forget the time he played an outdoor music festival, Chicagofest, back in 1980. The "Blues" stage and audience area had to be surrounded by mounted policeman because they were afraid all hell would break loose...9,000 fans jammed the bleachers that had a seating capacity of 4,500. The audience went wild every minute that Muddy was on stage and the headline of the story in the next day's paper was "Bluesman Stirs Throng at Fest." That summed it up...he really was electrifying. And I miss him which is part of the reason I see the Stones as often as I can.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 10, 2005 04:20

but have you seen footage of the Wolf? his stage presence was unbelievable - and I saw Muddy in person several times - no comparison, IMO.

Date: September 10, 2005 04:59

StonesTod,

At first I thought you meant Peter Wolf (who I mentioned at the top). No, I never saw Howlin' Wolf live...wish I had. And yes, I hear he was great.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 10, 2005 06:08

inopeng:

Love your comment re: seeing the Stones out of affection for Muddy Waters. Have you ever seen the booklet accompanying "Muddy Waters: The Chess Box?" They included a 1975 Western Union telegram from the Stones to Muddy thanking him for his inspiration and wishing him a happy birthday.

Such a proper move on the part of the fellas. It's signed: "Mick Keith Charlie Bill and all at the Rolling Stones."

Date: September 10, 2005 06:33

No, I have not seen that. I believe there is still a Muddy Waters tribute exhibition in Westmont, Illinois, just west of Chicago and they might have the original there. I'll go see when I'm in the area in the next week or so....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 10, 2005 06:45

Cant Be Satisfied - Life and Times Of Muddy Waters - Robert Gordon

Check out Muddy's Wine Chicken recipe he cooked up for Keith when the Stones were in Chicago - Page 369

Then for an extra buzz read Muddy's cool love making technique page 371

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: September 10, 2005 07:07

There's a song on ABB that reminds me of JGeils, can't remember which one right off.

Date: September 10, 2005 17:06

Thanks Rockman, I'll check that out!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 10, 2005 17:48

Single Biggest Thrill Of My Life:

Small club. 1981. Muddy walks onstage for the midnight show. I'm right in front. He's holding up his hands, like he wants to "slap five" with somebody in the audience. I hold out both my hands, palms turned upwards, and Muddy Waters slaps me ten! I screamed "Muddy Waters gave me skin!" My buddies were really jealous.

Muddy Waters Gave Me Skin

That might make a good title for something or other someday.

Date: September 10, 2005 17:53

Tatters...in what city was that? Near Twin Lakes Wisconsin?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 10, 2005 18:03

Roslyn, New York, on the North Shore of Long Island. It was called My Father's Place. I saw Mick Taylor there in '87. One of the last shows they had there before the place closed. Keith used to sometimes drop by on Mondays for Reggae Night. There were MAJOR rumors that the Stones would show up on July 3, 1978 when Peter Tosh was the scheduled performer. They didn't. There were also rumors that Keith would come to the Mick Taylor gig and jam. That didn't happen either.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 10, 2005 20:56

BigBang - dont you mean LWTCDI?

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: September 10, 2005 21:52

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BigBang - dont you mean LWTCDI?

It's She Saw Me Coming. Could easily be a song off Sanctuary.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home