Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Beatles/Dylan/Stones
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 9, 2005 23:52

Once again it's back to the all-time triumvirate!

All week I have had ABB, McCartney's new one, and the latest installment of Dylan's Bootleg Series shuffling in the carousel.

What an incredible week of music! The alternate versions of those classic Dylan songs are as good or better than the original releases...McCartney is even serious on this one (very moody and introspective...takes a bit of getting used to!).

Well over 40 years down the road, these same musicians can still fascinate!

Ross

Re: Beatles/Dylan/Stones
Posted by: chippy ()
Date: September 9, 2005 23:54

these r the good old days

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: September 10, 2005 00:54

Ross, I did the same. Really, this won´t happen that often. After the heavy Stones rotation the new McCartney album was really something different - but I have to admit, it´s a masterpiece (English Tea is just incredible, Jenny Wren is my head all the time and I can´t do anything about it).

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 10, 2005 00:57

Add in Neil the following week and that's the ultimate 1-2-3-4 punch in consecutive weeks (want more greed? - the 5th week sees a 5-cd/1 dvd The Band collection with 37 unreleased trax). in hog heaven....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 10, 2005 01:01

...and then the Dylan DVD!!

Date: September 10, 2005 01:08

yeah - for you poor folks in UK land - I'll be getting it same week as the Band collection - hardy har har....

Date: September 10, 2005 01:12

hardy har har on your feckin' wallet for this month!

I'll make do with a DVD recording of the film for the week or so that I have to wait for the official DVD release!

Date: September 10, 2005 01:18

by the by - it's looking really promising for a third trip out to Eire in '06 - bringing the wife this time - what would be your best guess for the Croke Park gig datewise?

Date: September 10, 2005 01:23

I'm not sure it will happen as I cant see them filling it (and I've heard whispers within the last week that whilst they WILL play Dublin next summer, it WONT be at Croke Park) - but, if so,June or July. Especially if the Republic of Ireland dont qualify for the World Cup, which is looking increasingly more likely after Wednesday's result.

The stadium will be more in use for sports events around August/September. I would be surprised if its available during those months.

Date: September 10, 2005 01:26

venue really doesn't matter - I'm sorta hoping it'll be later than sooner - notice there's some confirmation on a France date in early June - so I'm guessing the UK run will be subsequent to that....

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 10, 2005 01:27

The Mount Rushmore of rock....doesn't get any better than those three.

Date: September 10, 2005 01:29

Well - if it's Mt. Rushmore - ya need a 4th....Neil work for you?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 10, 2005 02:50

Looking forward to the Neil and The Band as well! What a month!!

It hasn't been this good since 1997 - B2B and Time Out Of Mind came out on the same day! (as I beleive Some Girls, Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Street Legal did in '78). Flaming Pie was around that time in '97 as well!

Youre right, stonethobo, those new McCartney songs seep into your psyche and swim around in your head. An amazing piece of work! Like ABB, it gets better with every listen...but couldn't be more different.

Ross

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 10, 2005 04:55

Mt. Rushmore........I really like Neil a lot, but I might have go with the Who.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: September 10, 2005 05:12

Agreed. I love Neil Young, but the Who's body of work through Keith Moon's death, definitely makes them more deserving of such an honor.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: September 10, 2005 07:21

I'd go with Neil.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 10, 2005 07:49

Amen, bigbang:

Ohmigod, the songs. The guitar playing, the shows. Acoustic. Electric.

Buffalo Springfield, Crazy Horse, CSNY, The Stray Gators, Booker T. & The MG's, Pearl Jam.

Thirty-five albums, with a new one imminent. Neil is God.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 10, 2005 13:44

Don't forget the rumoured Stones rarities collection in October and the Hot Rocks reissue with DVD. Then Dylan Gaslight from Starbucks.

And to please my movie side George Romeros Land Of The Dead is out the week I get back from NY, two weeks later importing the unrated US DVD and Star Wars 3 for Christmas.

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 10, 2005 15:32

Besides also adding Neil & the Who, you have to add in Springsteen as well. The man's body of work has been nothing short of amazing, and he is arguably the best songwriter of the last thirty years. And in concert with the E Street Band, his energy is incomparable. Every band -- including the Stones -- should take a tip from his setlists: change 'em every night, play three hours, keep the band on their toes. Even on his current solo tour, he's changing the shows every night.

I haven't heard the new McCartney yet, but the hype sounds promising. I always am a litttle suspicious on his new work...the man has been incredibly inconsistant post-Beatles, with some fine work ('Ram', 'Band on the Run', 'Flaming Pie', 'Run Devil Run')....but a whole lotta crappy albums as well ('Press to Play', 'Wild Life', 'London Town', 'Pipes of Peace'...the list goes on and on !).

Date: September 10, 2005 18:04

Thumbs down on The Who and Springsteen.

BOWIE belongs on Rushmore way before either of those two.

Date: September 10, 2005 19:11

bigbang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thumbs down on The Who and Springsteen.
>
> BOWIE belongs on Rushmore way before either of
> those two.

Thumbs down on all three. Gimme the Grateful Dead.

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 10, 2005 21:52

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bigbang Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thumbs down on The Who and Springsteen.
> >
> > BOWIE belongs on Rushmore way before either
> of
> > those two.
>
>
> Thumbs down on all three. Gimme the Grateful Dead.

I would agree on the Dead as a live band, but they've only had two good studio albums ('Workingman's Dead' and 'American Beauty'), and Bowie was great in the '70's but has lost it since 'Scary Monsters'. Only my opinion, of course.

Date: September 10, 2005 21:55

The Dead suck and Bowie's last two albums are at least as good as ABB. You really need to catch up on your Bowie. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home