Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Exile listening party in Oslo tonight - Exile 45 years
Posted by: z ()
Date: June 27, 2017 13:40

DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
With Morten Ståle Nilsen?! The guy who constantly writes negative about the Stones? He who claims that Charlie Watts play static drums and doesn't swing? The same who disses the blues and think Midnight Rambler is boring? Did he actually say anything positive about Exile on Main Street?

He's just like the other 1969-1974 fans here on IORR smiling smiley

Yep, many nice things (although he claimed that the album was saved in LA by the session musicians and the female backing vocalists). And he brought his own original vinyl to play.

He complained about the uneven tempo on Soul Survivor, though. That was interesting. I had never thought of that..

It breaths, it speeds up, what's wrong with that? It's great.

Date: June 27, 2017 13:45

z
DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
With Morten Ståle Nilsen?! The guy who constantly writes negative about the Stones? He who claims that Charlie Watts play static drums and doesn't swing? The same who disses the blues and think Midnight Rambler is boring? Did he actually say anything positive about Exile on Main Street?

Yep, many nice things (although he claimed that the album was saved in LA by the session musicians and the female backing vocalists). And he brought his own original vinyl to play.

He complained about the uneven tempo on Soul Survivor, though. That was interesting. I had never thought of that..

It breaths, it speeds up, what's wrong with that? It's great.

He's a former bass player. Maybe it disturbed the way he thinks of rhythm? I hope it did smiling smiley

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 27, 2017 19:21

Morten Ståle Nilsen is one of the sternest critics around. I remember the day in Bodø when "Exile" hit the shops. I think the reception was lukewarm.

Date: June 29, 2017 10:12

DandelionPowderman
The Worst.

That you never thought of it should speak volumes about the un-importance of his statement. In the million times I 've listened to it, I never noticed, or cared about it. It's an organic take of a great song.
Now that I think about that song played with a metronome, I imagine it would ruin the way it flows.

Date: June 29, 2017 10:22

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
The Worst.

That you never thought of it should speak volumes about the un-importance of his statement. In the million times I 've listened to it, I never noticed, or cared about it. It's an organic take of a great song.
Now that I think about that song played with a metronome, I imagine it would ruin the way it flows.

Yeah indeed! I thought it was a weird comment (especially coming from an old punk bass player).

Date: June 29, 2017 11:25

Actually I think the tempo is pretty even throughout the song, apart from the first part (water rough - sailing tough - drowned in your love) which is a little slower. I love it, it's like an intro.
It could be an appropriate comment if it wasn't a complain, but a praise.

Date: June 29, 2017 11:29

z
Actually I think the tempo is pretty even throughout the song, apart from the first part (water rough - sailing tough - drowned in your love) which is a little slower. I love it, it's like an intro.

It was neither. He was merely examplifing sloppiness that could have been corrected, but I don't think it was a big deal for him. Quite a few from the audience commented that the album was a bit sloppy and weirdly mixed.

Needless to say, many of them weren't Stones fans smiling smiley

Date: June 29, 2017 13:36

My Exile listening party has been going for forty years now and I've yet to find anything negative to say about that album.

Date: June 29, 2017 14:28

z
My Exile listening party has been going for forty years now and I've yet to find anything negative to say about that album.

Same here, I only went for the sound (and the beer) smiling smiley

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: June 29, 2017 14:39

DandelionPowderman
z

Same here, I only went for the sound (and the beer) smiling smiley

sounds good to me, too, sound and beer

Cheers smileys with beer

resotele

Date: June 29, 2017 14:41

smileys with beer

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: June 29, 2017 14:53

semi o.t. :

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 30, 2017 16:06

DandelionPowderman
z

It was neither. He was merely examplifing sloppiness that could have been corrected, but I don't think it was a big deal for him. Quite a few from the audience commented that the album was a bit sloppy and weirdly mixed.

Needless to say, many of them weren't Stones fans smiling smiley

The fact that many were not sTONESFAns sounds way more interesting to me, and I suspect to someone like Dandy. I mean, what is really the point of a bunch of hardcores sitting around and telling each other how great Exile is?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 30, 2017 18:07

Love the pics!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1963
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home