Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Stones and Auto-Tune and Auto-Tune Live
Date: June 13, 2017 15:04

Bliss
I recall Michael Jackson complained that Mick sang flat when they duetted, and wondered how he ever got to be a star. So auto-tune could have helped..

He wasn't exactly a great singer himself, was he?

Funnily enough, I thought Mick sang State Of Shock excellently.

The thing with Mick is the sound of his voice, not his vocal acrobatics.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 13, 2017 15:11

DandelionPowderman
Bliss
I recall Michael Jackson complained that Mick sang flat when they duetted, and wondered how he ever got to be a star. So auto-tune could have helped..

He wasn't exactly a great singer himself, was he?

Funnily enough, I thought Mick sang State Of Shock excellently.

The thing with Mick is the sound of his voice, not his vocal acrobatics.[/[/b]quote]

thumbs up Exactly the same with Keith's guitar

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: June 13, 2017 21:23

If music and vocals make you feel something it doesn't matter how subjectively good or bad they are. Clearly Mick is a kick ass singer such that countless try to copy him.

It's how he sings, where to accent, when to express certain lines, when to draw out notes. Mick is a master at it, there hasn't been another that has captured the spirit of RNR like mick in his prime.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 13, 2017 21:27

If any member of The Rolling Stones is using any product which "enhances" their live performance then he/they should return post-haste to the point of purchase and demand a full refund.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: June 15, 2017 00:36

Most live pop and country tours are using some form of pitch correction onstage, and many have admitted to it publicly(Tim McGraw and Faith Hill among others). The way it works live is as someone said earlier, it pulls you towards the nearest semitone, the "intensity" is how quickly it "bends" the note your are singing to the correct note. If you keep this speed/intensity setting at a speed slower than most normal singers pitch changes or vibrato than it can be used while remaining mostly undetectable to most peoples ears. Having it set to pull instantly to the correct note makes you sound like T-Pain. Some of the more complex units for touring have gone as far as having the songs programmed in to correct any bum notes that come unexpectedly, as an even further safety net.

All this being said, I can fairly certainly say that the stones have never used pitch correction live. I know up until at least 2012 the Stones were still using a Yamaha PM4000 analog sound board with 0 outboard effects on Mick's vocals, not even compression, the engineer just rides the faders. Mick still sings into a basic SM58, and its all normal SM57's on the guitar amps. I'll try to find the article, but the Stones live sound setup is basically the same as one from the late 70's, save for better wireless systems, mick and backing musician's wireless IEM's and the monster Clair Bro's PA mains they tour with now.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: June 15, 2017 14:23

Maybe you sound and equipment experts can help me with a question. When Jimmy Fallon dies skits with singing with his guests, they always get these fancy microphones out and seem to always sound awesome. Also, on the Voice one of my former students made it to the duet round and hearing him on TV versus live at our school was different. Just wondering if that may be what goes on to make sure people sound good on stage. Is it special mics and soun engineers tweaking things to make it sound awesome? I mean I have ever once heard a bum note sung on the Voice by any contestant.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2017 14:32

Is it special mics and soun engineers tweaking things to make it sound awesome? I mean I have ever once heard a bum note sung on the Voice by any contestant.

Blondie under the stage ????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 15, 2017 14:45

Many singers are so technically good or gifted that they never do hit any wrong notes.
That doesn't necessarilly make them great artists or performers.

By the same token there are many great performers who who aren't technically quite that good and who do hit the odd pitchy note .

In fact, a bit like that business with the "Blue notes" discussed earlier, its often the way they hear pitch in a unique way that gives their voice its special character & feel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-15 17:45 by Spud.

Date: June 15, 2017 14:48

Rockman
Is it special mics and soun engineers tweaking things to make it sound awesome? I mean I have ever once heard a bum note sung on the Voice by any contestant.

Blondie under the stage ????

Haha! Beautiful...
ok, it's 2 minutes later, and I'm still laughing.>grinning smiley<

Date: June 15, 2017 14:58

grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 15, 2017 14:59

Auto-tune can't help the Stones - especially tripe like Rock And A Hard Place.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home