Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: "Party of One", new George Thorogood album
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 8, 2017 12:39

keefriffhard4life
Doxa
Listened "No Expectations". An okay version in my opinion. A very nice guitar interpretation and arrangement, but I think George could have put a bit more that raw georgeness to his vocals. Singing 'purely' like that is probably not his forte of expression, or maybe he is not so good expressing sentiments the song has or had too much Jagger's delivery in his mind. But that was just a mild criticism, it is an okay version as I said.

- Doxa

he is also 67 and its hard on a voice to get that rawness sometimes

That's true... I keep forgetting that these dudes are not youngsters anymore haha... With that singing style it is a wonder he can sing at all these days...

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 8, 2017 12:42

retired_dog

A much (!) better Stones cover was "Grown Up Wrong", unfortunately available only as a bonus track on the german SPV pressing of "Half A Boy, Half A Man", his best album after "Move It On Over" imo (with participation of Waddy Wachtel, btw.).

Haa.. never heard that one. Sounds interesting... Somehow I can imagine that that tune fits to George and to his style much better.

- Doxa

Date: July 9, 2017 06:32

one thing we can never accuse thorogood of doing, selling out

Date: August 6, 2017 00:20

the target version has a bonus track. also its nice the booklet say "no expectations" is in memory of the ongoing genius of brian jones or something like that

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 6, 2017 11:14

Didn't expect to like the album too much since there's no band, but there are some real great moments on it.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2298
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home