Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Happy Birthday John Fogerty!
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 28, 2017 14:35

May, 28 1945

Well, CCR is my second most favorite band ever. I fully appreciate John's contribution to rock legacy and rock history. I wish I were at San Pavilion in 2013, when John joined, on stage, my first favorite band ever...

Keep on rocking John!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-30 21:06 by bv.

Re: Happy Birthday John Fogerty!
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 28, 2017 19:03

Happy Birthday to John Fogerty. thumbs up

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 28, 2017 20:27

One hell of a rocker!

Posted by: vinckske ()
Date: May 28, 2017 21:09

Happy Birthday John.

"More Creedence Gold" was my very first album.
Bought it in august '77

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 28, 2017 22:38

Hail Hail; a true gift that one. time and time again.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 29, 2017 04:12

hopkins
Hail Hail; a true gift that one. time and time again.
[www.youtube.com]

Very powerful. Screaming Eagles of the 101st is enough to shake anyone one for freedom. We will destroy ISIS.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 29, 2017 06:23

He comes off as a narcissistic prick. He will probably jump out of his own cake.

Date: May 29, 2017 08:14

Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Fortunate Son"
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 29, 2017 08:23

Perfect song! Perfect..

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 29, 2017 08:34

The Sicilian
He comes off as a narcissistic prick. He will probably jump out of his own cake.

+1 Such an a$$hole. I was a big CCR fan growing up, but I hated the show of his that I saw two years ago. His band had no groove whatsoever, just overplaying and w@nkery.

Date: May 29, 2017 09:12

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Live in Royal Albert Hall (1970)
Travelin' Band
[youtu.be]

John Fogerty - Live Glastonbury Festival (2007)
Good Golly Miss Molly
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-29 09:24 by hopkins.

Date: May 29, 2017 09:36

hopkins
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Live in Royal Albert Hall (1970)
Travelin' Band
[youtu.be]

John Fogerty - Live Glastonbury Festival (2007)
Good Golly Miss Molly
[youtu.be]

Thanks Hopkins. thumbs up

My wife and I saw him about 10 years ago and it was fantastic - he brought his son out on stage to play on a song or two
I've been fan of Creedence for as long as I can remember - those tunes were all over the radio back in the days.
I remember friends and I singing along to Have You ever Seen the Rain when we were 7 or 8 years old.
Legendary band, led by one of America's greatest singer/songwriters.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: May 30, 2017 11:40

The first Album that I bought when I was 8 years old was Cosmo´s Factory in 1970. Still one of my favourite albums, CCR is still one of my favourite bands.
Saw John a couple of years ago and it was one hell of a show.
The Long Road Home - Live In Concert is a killer.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 30, 2017 15:23

The Sicilian

Sadly, I have to agree. I couldn't have been more into CCR growing up in the 60's and 70's. I've seen him live three times, the latest maybe at least a dozen years ago. Enjoyed it every time, but the elephant in the room was none of us really enjoyed anything that wasn't a CCR song.

Later, I had the opportunity to spend time with him a little bit and more so with people around him. What a huge, massive disappointment. He's enough of a self centered piece of sh!t that it ruins his music and makes you take the stance that save for music made within and in CCR, what's he really done? I used to want to defend Old Man Down The Road when anyone would say he just changed Run Through The Jungle a little bit, but now, no more defending. Plus, THAT song is over 30 years old now.

But yeah, horrible human being. Treats those around him like garbage, expects fealty from everyone. Not worth the time anymore and it really pains me to write that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-30 22:58 by Long John Stoner.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 30, 2017 17:30

Sad thing to read your comments, Long John. I've never heard anything like that before. Disturbs me a bit enjoying his music.

BTW, is there any biography or auto-biography of him?

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 30, 2017 23:05

dead.flowers
Sad thing to read your comments, Long John. I've never heard anything like that before. Disturbs me a bit enjoying his music.

BTW, is there any biography or auto-biography of him?

He wrote an autobiography called Fortunate Son that came out in 2015. Did not buy it but I borrowed it. I will admit many like it but to me, it was incredibly self serving. Nothing is ever his fault. The system screwed him. But, his new wife Julie is great. His need for control over everything came through loud and clear.

Re: OT: Happy Birthday John Fogerty!
Date: May 31, 2017 00:18

Glad to see he can still ruffle feathers. I suppose the less I know about his personal life, the better.
Similar to John Lennon for that matter. Amazing singer songwriter and legend without question, but maybe a bit of a dirtbag at times throughout his life.
That being said, I'd never let any of that stop me from enjoying his amazing music though. thumbs up

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 31, 2017 00:29

When he sings the Julie song, it's my "Miss You" bathroom break moment.

His book reminds me of Robbie Robertson's. Both of them toot their own horns to the point that it becomes predictable. I did enjoy both books though.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 31, 2017 02:37

RockingLonestar
The first Album that I bought when I was 8 years old was Cosmo´s Factory in 1970. Still one of my favourite albums, CCR is still one of my favourite bands.
Saw John a couple of years ago and it was one hell of a show.
The Long Road Home - Live In Concert is a killer.

Cosmo´s Factory is one of does records that's great from the beginning till the end ...no fillers.......

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 31, 2017 03:10

Lol I love the man. Such a prolific writer and then the guitar player too? I'm a big "band" guy but CCR is and will always be Fogerty to me. I don't know where the prick stuff has come, he's always seemed like a really stand up cool guy. Plus I think his band is great. They play the CCR material so well. Its never really bothered me about lack of new (or more good and memorable) material. He wrote in CCR what most would hope to write in a lifetime, and more importantly its really truly lasted. I feel they don't really get brought up in the conversation as much as other bands, but those songs have lasted as much or more than many bands. Like sincerely truly songs people know, love, and sing instantly which is very rare.

I'm very happy he's still with us and still rocking. Still sounds great, still plays great. Can't really think of a bad thing to say about him. And I used to be totally against what he did at the Hall Of Fame. Having heard more from him about it, I gotta say I side with him now.

And yes, his Long Road Home concert is awesome!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-31 03:11 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 31, 2017 03:16

bleedingman
His book reminds me of Robbie Robertson's. Both of them toot their own horns to the point that it becomes predictable. I did enjoy both books though.
That seems like a pretty fair comparison. I could see him acting like that. Again, maybe its just me, but I wouldn't really blame him. They takes credit but they also kind of deserve it. Yes, Robbie didn't CARRY the Band, and that was more of a band than CCR IMO, but he did write the songs. He gave those songs for you to sing, which The Band did wonderfully. But is he supposed to be shy about that? I wouldn't be. He's proud, as he should be. You can like the Band after him, but to many it never was The Band without Robbie, or any of them. I could very much see John being similar. When you write the songs and play the guitar (and in John's case SING the material) its hard not to be self congratulating. Yes, you maybe couldn't have done it with anyone else, but I get that a lot of it is cause of you.

Also, if we're talking about non-CCR songs, Rockin All Over The World and Centerfield (despite how sick of it I am) are gigantic great songs. Just the tip too. He has some other killer solo material, although I'll fully admit most of it is forgettable.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 31, 2017 03:19

saw him last year...unbelievably good after all these years...just excellent.

this guy had an unbelievably prolific 2 or 3 year period, as RF mentioned, most writers don't see in a lifetime.

If he is a narcissistic prick, maybe he has reason to be?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 31, 2017 03:22

bleedingman
When he sings the Julie song, it's my "Miss You" bathroom break moment.

you go to the bathroom during Miss You?! I'd have to be bleeding, man, to miss miss you!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 31, 2017 04:04

jumping out of your own cake is not as easy as it sounds.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 31, 2017 15:01

Natlanta
jumping out of your own cake is not as easy as it sounds.

Would rather 'slip my tongue in someone else's pie'!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 31, 2017 15:03

Gotta say that he played the best non-Stones show I've ever seen.

That said, the political ranting has worn thin. Came across as a bit of a douche on the interview with Dan Rather (who has no business interviewing rockstars).

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 1, 2017 14:13

Thanks, folks, for all your comments. Actually it is his music that will remain. Such a vast number of great songs created during the so short but incredibly productive CCR heyday. I will not forget. And I still enjoy his music frequently. I'll try to get a copy of his autobiography and read it. And I'll try to go and see him next time he comes round my place. In that sense: Still very happy birthday to you, John.

Cheers

dead.flowers

Date: June 1, 2017 23:46

well i have no great interest in defending his personal life if he's a smug, arrogant, smoothass self-aggrandizing type the culture spits out along the way; might very well be true. i have no way of personally knowing but can take it on anecdotal evidence no prob or concern. it does not diminish to any extent that CCR was a perfect and powefully unique, ferocious and original band who could put up or shut up where the rubber meets the road in the dawn of stadium rock and make ten tons of people happy, inspired and dance. those songs were revleatory, freeing, engaging and a total gift. Even some of his early solo stuff was truly great; let's look at the true deep swampiness of his product instead of personal stuff from one or another @#$%&, and didn't Chuck Berry create the mold; but he, like John, not to exucse rudeness and arrogance, or even him punching out ol' K, he's lucky the blade didn't make the appearance...heh heh...chuck woullda probs won anyway...
...but the thing is that chuck was burned and embarassed and making shit money and getting ripped off from that; he was bitter and so defensive he was offensive....he went to jail for a Mann act violation while UK rockers with fancy barber$ transported ten tons of underage girls while inventing novel ways of testing the boundaries of physics....and got a punishment of front page in a fan magazine...
...so that thing with the saul zaenz and the label; and then feeling like the band turned on him while he was carrying a biggest heavy load responsibilty; and they felt like he was acing them out and it was a big mess and maybve that's why he['s a prick or maybe he was destined to be a prick or maybe he's a good guy in his way to some people i do not know. i do know he showed up for work with grand material that was indelible; and an original voice and a great, grreat rock and roll band; a pure and raw and outfront rock and roll band with the goods. his stuff comes on the radio and it's pure and impactful and as important as any other rock and roll songwriter in the canon including his bobness level of greatness in several songs....with a simplicity and burning intensity; with precision, concise and deadly on target. and it was naked sweat blood boom and bang and some really definitonal fine rock guitar playing; so after a point, what do people want or expect? His lyrics and obervational writing were spot on and important. those songs ring like victory bells. He may very well be an @#$%&; there's a certian no cal type i can almost, not quite sniiff out about him so maybve people are right but i just don't care. the proof is in the pudding and it's waaay there.

i have a feeling that ol mick and keith are not so very nice and easy if they don't get their way about some little thing or are frustrated about something/anything...i think mick probably has a staff making sure every little eensy bitty thing is just right around the various castles u know...just a guess...guessin they could get a trifle snappy at the help here and there...just guessin....mellow ol' folksy keith too; i bet he's thrown a little fit here and there, or had someone do it for him....john fogerty could chew the head off of a marsupial and it wouldn't erase his soundtrack in the some of the best films, and some of the best hit records of the entire era. if he's big headed about that instead of henrix graciousness or giant souled cats we're lucky to have had amongst us well alright what can i do about it? He's got a fat handful of some of the very best songs anyone could expect anyone to come up with in that very heavy era of great songwriters. and a road resume to match before he was anywhere near out of his twenties so there is that to consider as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-01 23:56 by hopkins.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: June 2, 2017 17:02

RollingFreak
bleedingman
That seems like a pretty fair comparison. I could see him acting like that. Again, maybe its just me, but I wouldn't really blame him. They takes credit but they also kind of deserve it. Yes, Robbie didn't CARRY the Band, and that was more of a band than CCR IMO, but he did write the songs. He gave those songs for you to sing, which The Band did wonderfully. But is he supposed to be shy about that? I wouldn't be. He's proud, as he should be. You can like the Band after him, but to many it never was The Band without Robbie, or any of them. I could very much see John being similar. When you write the songs and play the guitar (and in John's case SING the material) its hard not to be self congratulating. Yes, you maybe couldn't have done it with anyone else, but I get that a lot of it is cause of you.

Also, if we're talking about non-CCR songs, Rockin All Over The World and Centerfield (despite how sick of it I am) are gigantic great songs. Just the tip too. He has some other killer solo material, although I'll fully admit most of it is forgettable.

IMHO "Blue Moon Swamp" is one of the best albums ever!
Like Green River, Willy & The Poor Boys or Cosmo´s Factory.
And his John Fogerty album from 1975 is a killer, too.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 2, 2017 18:30

About 15 or so years ago a friend of mine saw John Forgerty at Costco.

He was looking at CDs.

It's like the story someone told here about seeing Roger Daltry at Home Depot buying a can of paint.

You don't expect to see icons out in public doing regular everyday things.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home