Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bootleg Track Talk: A Different Kind
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 28, 2017 15:25

I love this track. I think I listened to this more often than to the official Some Girls.

Mathijs

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 28, 2017 15:38

Rip This
very nice...Mick should finnish this one.

But not like he "finished" Gangsters Moll in 1987.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 28, 2017 16:35

LongBeachArena72
I don't think I've ever heard a bootleg track that I think should have appeared in place of a tune on a regularly released Stones album.

Try "Claudine". It would have shone on ER, an album badly in need of spectacular songs (imo).

Date: May 28, 2017 16:39

Claudine is no outtake ;-)

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 28, 2017 17:41

dcba
LongBeachArena72
I don't think I've ever heard a bootleg track that I think should have appeared in place of a tune on a regularly released Stones album.

Try "Claudine". It would have shone on ER, an album badly in need of spectacular songs (imo).

Exactly.

Date: May 28, 2017 17:44

retired_dog
dcba
LongBeachArena72

Exactly.

Yeah. But they had enough other legal problems at the time.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 28, 2017 17:52

retired_dog
dcba
LongBeachArena72

Exactly.

crazy talk ... claudine is definitely a decent track, but not really as good as anything on ER ... and even crazier if the original post was implying it should have been on SG.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 28, 2017 17:53

Monsoon Ragoon

Depends on how you define an "outtake". Strictly speaking, an outtake is a take of a released song that that was not used. Like, artist x records 10 takes of songy y, and take 10 is used for an official release because it's the best take. So takes 1-9 of song y are outtakes because they stay in the can.

The more common use of the term includes every unreleased studio recording, finished or not. Claudine is a strange beast because it was finished back then for release on ER, but held back not because of pureley artistic reasons, but in order to avoid a possible lawsuit. It's always been regarded as a " studio outtake" since then when it really was just an "unreleased finished track". However, finally getting released on the SG bonus disc means that by now, it's not an outtake anymore. Just a released track. More precise, a previously unreleased track. Or a released outtake? Boahhh, it's really complicated...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-28 18:49 by retired_dog.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 28, 2017 17:55

dcba
LongBeachArena72

Pass for me. Would have fit stylistically on ER, though, which I've always felt was one of if not the funniest Stones record.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 28, 2017 18:00

Palace Revolution 2000
LongBeachArena72
Mine is probably a minority opinion here but with the exception of "Hillside Blues" I don't think I've ever heard a bootleg track that I think should have appeared in place of a tune on a regularly released Stones album. Many of them are fun and interesting—which is why this thread is cool. They can be revealing of the band at whatever moment in time they were essayed ("Keep It Cool," e.g.) ... but I think the Stones have done a pretty good job over the years of judging what should be 'finished' and released, and what can stay in the archives.

This is kind of the argument that has no beginning or end. Because we can easily say that the reason those tunes don't sound that good yet, is because they have not been polished, and finished. ( Not every Blues jam of course)
I would say that every released Stones song, would sound just like one of these as an unmastered outtake level.
The tricky part would be to know which ones to hone in on, and continue to work on.

Yes, that's exactly what this all comes down to. Are they undeveloped because the band knew they would not yield fruit ... or were they suffering from some sort of musical myopia that prevented them from recognizing the true value of an unpoished gem-in-waiting? While I enjoy many of these tracks, esp as they may reveal heretofore only hinted-at aspects of the Stones' musical palette, I don't think they made many, if any, egregious mistakes in leaving them aside, officially.

Date: May 28, 2017 18:11

retired_dog
Monsoon Ragoon

Depends on how you define an "outtake". Strictly speaking, an outtake is a take of a released song that that was not used. Like, artist x records 10 takes of songy y, and take 10 is used for an official release because it's the best take. So takes 1-9 of song y are outtakes because they stay in the can.

The more common use of the term includes every unreleased studio recording, finished or not. Claudine is a strange beast because it was finished back then for release on ER, but held back not because of pureley artistic reasons, but because to avoid a possible lawsuit. It's always been regarded as a " studio outtake" since then when it really was just an "unreleased finished track". However, finally getting released on the SG bonus disc means that by now, it's not an outtake anymore. Just a released track. More precise, a previously unreleased track. Or a released outtake? Boahhh, it's really complicated...

"Released outtake" sounds strange, but makes sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-28 22:53 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 28, 2017 22:47

Yeah yeah, beautiful song. always have loved this outtake. Its great, one of their gem outtakes.
Feel priviliged to hear this outtake, while so many people who love he stones cannot.
Hope theu make it in a song.
Jeroen

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: May 29, 2017 03:20

I love this song and listen to it all the time - it has such a strange but great feel to it, relaxed but swings and almost melancholy.

Side note: The linked version is about three minutes but the version I have is just over six minutes. Does anyone else have the versions I have? There are some clear edit points in the linked track.

Date: May 29, 2017 07:01

LongBeachArena72
Palace Revolution 2000
LongBeachArena72
Mine is probably a minority opinion here but with the exception of "Hillside Blues" I don't think I've ever heard a bootleg track that I think should have appeared in place of a tune on a regularly released Stones album. Many of them are fun and interesting—which is why this thread is cool. They can be revealing of the band at whatever moment in time they were essayed ("Keep It Cool," e.g.) ... but I think the Stones have done a pretty good job over the years of judging what should be 'finished' and released, and what can stay in the archives.

This is kind of the argument that has no beginning or end. Because we can easily say that the reason those tunes don't sound that good yet, is because they have not been polished, and finished. ( Not every Blues jam of course)
I would say that every released Stones song, would sound just like one of these as an unmastered outtake level.
The tricky part would be to know which ones to hone in on, and continue to work on.

Yes, that's exactly what this all comes down to. Are they undeveloped because the band knew they would not yield fruit ... or were they suffering from some sort of musical myopia that prevented them from recognizing the true value of an unpoished gem-in-waiting? While I enjoy many of these tracks, esp as they may reveal heretofore only hinted-at aspects of the Stones' musical palette, I don't think they made many, if any, egregious mistakes in leaving them aside, officially.

It's like the chicken/egg maze. I;m glad you see it like that too.
Take "Start me Up" - as an outtake it would sit down there with the most tedious ones of them all; 'I;m looking at you "Munich Hilton".

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home