Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Article from Drudge about Stones Radio Airplay
Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: September 8, 2005 18:09

Check this out.

[www.foxnews.com]

Milo, NYC
The radio is playing the same old news

Re: Article from Drudge about Stones Radio Airplay
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 8, 2005 19:09

Very sad, there's no place for the Stones in the US radio. The rock now is 100% alternative.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: September 8, 2005 19:29

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 04:55 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: captkirk ()
Date: September 8, 2005 19:54

Roger Daltrey was right in 1975 when he said rock has no future. It's a dead format at radio and straight ahead rock is quickly becoming relagated to being a niche format. In 20 years people will talk about groups like the Stones as people now talk about Prog Rock and bands like Yes, King Crimson, Camel and others of the genre.

It's not about music anymore or music and an image(like the Stones) but just the image. And it's certainly not about rock anymore. Why? Several reasons. Record Companies quit working careers of artists so they could make A Bigger Bang (No pun intended) from essentially one hit wonders, many of whom have little talent. This is easy to do since the key demographic for record companies is from 12-25. An age group who really isn't to discerning about what they listen to. By the time they have aged out and know what good from bad is, they are no longer courted by record companies.

MTV ruined a lot of it. Look good, show some leg, don't worry about the music. Musicians might actually want to make music. Bad Idea. The dumbed down kids want that instant gratification that comes with the garbage radio and MTV(when it plays videos) and BET dish out everyday. Real music takes too much work to appreciate.

Rap is another reason. It's become the big seller these days. 50 Cent, Kanye West, Eminem and other rappers have squeezed most everything else to the second line and since most rappers have all of this x rated music that kids love, why bother with anything that's related to real music.

So what happened to all of the disenfranchised rock listeners? They all headed straight to Nashville since all they do now is release really, really bad copies of classic rock sounding stuff while ignoring the true country music practicioners. Heavy guitars, Hammond B3's have replaced fiddles, banjos and steel guitars.

It's sad but no surprise the Stones aren't getting airplay. I wonder if they did a video for RJ/SOL. I haven't heard about one and certainly haven't seen one.

But the good news is that Clapton is at 13 this week in Billboard and Dylan is at 15 with a bunch of 40 year old + outtakes.

Bill

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 8, 2005 20:06

"Get Jermaine Dupri to do a remix..." in order to fit the RS on hip-hop-lite formats (Gwen Stefani etc), gag, retch. They can draw stadiums of fans from several generations, but not get their new album on the air - even if it peaks near the top of the lp chart & (likely) goes platinum-plus. No wonder they tour for a year. And then look at the greats who sell far less & get no airplay: Aretha, Kinks, Lou Reed, Neil Young, Wilson Pickett (superb album a couple years back), etc - the list is endless. Sad sad sad.

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: September 8, 2005 20:37

Whoever or whatever group has done the job of getting the Stones new stuff on the radio for the last 10-15 years sucks and needed to go.

They need to go after that Adult Rock station market first, the ones that embrace Sheryl Crow (who shares at least some crossover fan base with the Stones). Each new album they push for the younger market first, just like Rough Justice, and the song tanks. Maybe that adult rock station song is Streets of Love or something else (that's a whole other debate), but they need to give up trying to compete with the Mainstream Rock station's artists first. The demographic of those stations is nowhere near the Stones current fan base - obviously there are fans of the Stones in their teens or early twenties, but I'm talking overall average.

They need to accept their demographic and new radio formats and work accordingly. Green Day wisely promoted "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" on Adult Rock where that song did very well, yet these stations would never play the song "American Idiot" by Green Day, that's marketed to the alternative or new hard rock stations. Other bands are successful going after completely opposite markets with different songs, why can't the Stones do that too?

Granted with a forty year history, it's probably very difficult to get anyone in radio to consider something new by the Stones when they have been pigeon holded for years to a Classic Rock station that plays Brown Sugar and YCAGWYW, but hopefully this new person promoting them can do better.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: September 8, 2005 20:40

Rock acts with decent song writing abilities get more airplay on CMT than anywhere else these days.

Date: September 8, 2005 20:58

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 04:55 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: September 8, 2005 21:17

Could one of you older folks explain what a "radio" is?

:-) But seriously, folks...

I think captkirk is exactly right. Music today is like a pair of fancy shoes - a fashion accessory.

Karl

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: September 8, 2005 22:24

Radio is a convenient way to hear a non-stop barrage of commercials on your way home from work. As least that has been my experience.

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 8, 2005 23:41

No, the problem is the stations. They all have a list of songs that can be played...nothing else. All the "Classic Rock" stations play classic rock but only up to about 1985. Nothing new.

Heck, when I saw the Stones in Detroit in 2002, afterwards they played song by song of the studio tracks what the Stones played at the show...except they skipped over Don't stop and didn't play it. Why not? Because it was new.

Tom Petty's "The last DJ" is a great album about all this crap.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: September 8, 2005 23:43

while it'd be nice for FM radio to showcase some new Stones music, does it really matter to the band? the tour will be the cash cow far more than CD sales...CDs cost 10 bucks a pop, tix cost...what average of 300???

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 8, 2005 23:51

They - Mick and Charlie, at least - have stated in interviews it is important for them to have their new music accepted; this would seem natural for any artist, but their legacy - unlike ELP/Yes, etc - is assured. Just like the older jazz musicians, & the older blues musicians whose black (younger) audiences moved onto soul & funk. 50 years from now they will still be remembered & taken seriously.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 8, 2005 23:59

I have heard it quite frequently on XM Satellite Radio (XM40 Deep Tracks)!

Commercial radio is dying FAST!

Get satellite radio NOW!

Ross

Date: September 9, 2005 00:20

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 04:55 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: September 9, 2005 01:04

I don't think they released a studio album to get big sales as much as to help promote the tour and was likely simply a creative urge. ABB doesn't strike me as an album that sought to "please the masses" as much as a core group of fans and the band themselves.

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: September 9, 2005 02:00

This is all making me very upset. Whoever runs the stones marketing has to go! The post above about Green Day's marketing is right on! It is so simple but the stones make it so friggin hard for themselves because they are out of touch with what market they are in. Jagger spends toooo much time listening to this matchbox 20/ gwen stafani shit! He wants to compete with them and 50 cent on contempary stations! Get real!

Take GreenDay. They are a modern punk/rock band. They never market their albums to go against gwen stafani and britney spears. They compete against Nickeback, Staind and Audioslave. There are many tracks on ABB which would run well against them. LWTCDI, SSMC, ONNYA and IWTL. Look, the stones have a habit of not promoting songs on their ablums that sound like themselves. They promote stuff that is "a bit different" like SOL or ASMB e.t.c. They only have themselves to blame

RJ is not recieved well because the lyrics in the first minute are too in your face. When a radio programmer tries to decides on airplay he thinks to himself "how many people will turn the dial after listening to those lyrics? RJ builds and is a great song but it is NOT suitable for much radio play.

The stones are a hard rock band. Even modern bands like Metalica and Pearl jam struggle for airplay on contempary stations. Why would a bunch of 60 year old rockers stand a chance. Who would want too? They are fag stations. The hosts are metrosexual nobodys. The listeners are young women or gay!

I love the stones . I love them because the are still out there competing against the likes of Green Day, Audioslave e.t.c. They have not aged like the bands they started out with. It is the marketing that is poor! Not the product! I am 29 years old and I KNOW whats up.

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 9, 2005 02:42

Plus, who listens to FM radio anymore? It is either sattalite or I-Pods.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 9, 2005 07:02

Ok, could part of the problem be the concentration of station/media ownership? Like so many markets these days are controlled by one or two giant companys. So it only takes a 'few' people to decide not to play your stuff and your dead in that market, right?

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: September 9, 2005 23:06

I think Look What the Cat Dragged In might have broader airplay appeal, followed by Driving too fast.

Or, maybe those are just my two favorites right now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home