Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 22
Re: OT: Roger Waters 2017
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 7, 2018 05:02

Roger has claimed he's going to retire from widespread touring after this, right?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 7, 2018 05:17

keefriff99
Roger has claimed he's going to retire from widespread touring after this, right?

From last June:

Roger

"I can't imagine I'll ever do another one after this, but I'm going for it," the 73-year-old rock legend tells Mason. "I mean, I'm going all over the world with this thing."
Asked if he thought this was the last one, Waters tells Mason: "I would think so, yeah."

That being said, no one knows when this current tour will end as there are definite plans to return to the US to be performed in massive stadiums across the land just as he did with the Wall tour - starting off in arenas, and end it with stadiums over a three year period. And beyond the US stadium shows, who knows where he'll go...maybe back to Europe for another leg?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 7, 2018 05:20

The success he's had with these last few tours is incredible...for better or worse, this is the best presentation of Pink Floyd's music we're going to get, and it deserves to be presented in such an epic fashion.

I never got to see Gilmour and I don't think I'll get the chance at this point.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 7, 2018 08:52

Didn’t Roger Waters try to get other bands not to play in Israel? So somehow in his mind because he didn’t agree with the policies of their government the citizens didn’t deserve to see a rock concert??
Hmmm,he hates the Trump administration so much maybe he should also be boycotting the states,but that might be a little too costly eh Rog?

I’m sure the huge screens,lights,blowup pigs and whatever are entertaining but I’ll keep my money before I hand it over to watch a Jew hater lip sync songs from 40 years ago.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 7, 2018 12:36

I saw him in Hamburg and it was the most boring experience
in a "rock" show I have ever attended.

If you take away the media overkill - there´s, apart from 4 or 5 songs, nothing.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 7, 2018 15:47

Well it's certainly not a "rock" show like something they Stones or heck, the Arctic Monkeys, put up but it's still pretty unique, especially if you've loved the DSOTM to The Wall sequence for decades and know it inside out. Besides he has to be credited for taking (decent) new material on the road.

Also it depends where you're located, like for any show. I was in a pit like spot at the UArena and it was great. Not a boring moment I can recall.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 7, 2018 15:53

Hairball
RisingStone
Back from Hyde Park. I was blown away. I’m sure everybody was. Just spectacular.
Yes, the giant screen was there and it was so overwhelming. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. Now I’m glad I made it to this show.

Whether you like his political/social views (there were a lot) is another thing — but that’s Roger for you.

Nice RisingStones. smileys with beer

I have several friends who were there and they all echo your sentiments..."blown away"..."spectacular"..."overwhelming"!!!

Some friends of mine who also were at Hyde Park yesterday told me the same, too. I went to see him in 2012 on The Wall tour and although I'm not a fan of this record it was a great show. Can't wait to see him in October!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: July 8, 2018 02:05

keefriff99

One can hope what with his, um, "views". What a creep

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 8, 2018 08:19

Cristiano Radtke
Hairball
RisingStone
Back from Hyde Park. I was blown away. I’m sure everybody was. Just spectacular.
Yes, the giant screen was there and it was so overwhelming. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. Now I’m glad I made it to this show.

Whether you like his political/social views (there were a lot) is another thing — but that’s Roger for you.

Nice RisingStones. smileys with beer

I have several friends who were there and they all echo your sentiments..."blown away"..."spectacular"..."overwhelming"!!!

Some friends of mine who also were at Hyde Park yesterday told me the same, too. I went to see him in 2012 on The Wall tour and although I'm not a fan of this record it was a great show. Can't wait to see him in October!

Yeap, I understand this. I have a huge problem with his lip-synching, but still go to see him (I have seen him 6 times). Still I think lip-synching is absolutely un-tolerable with a star like this.

The ultimate proof is here - watch at 5:01 and then again at 5:48 and 6:13: [www.youtube.com]

Well, things like this fortunately don't normally happen during his shows, it is extremely well rehearsed. Two months ago I saw 2 of his current shows on 2 subsequent nights. I was very very close on both nights and watched him closely. To be honest, I didn't realize anything wrong, if I didn't have the suspicion, I would believe it was live, except that in difficult songs like Pigs his vocal is unbelievably strong and the performance is totally flawless, which is unbelieveble.

I filmed some songs. On the first night I also filmed the whole Wish You Were Here. There were many little vocal nuances, where his voice goes a little softer towards the end of sentences, little vibratos and such and all those little signs of live performance. The problem is, that I filmed it the next night and it is absoluletly identical down to the smallest details, all the little "flaws" are absolutely the same on both nights. Standing really close and having a camera with zoom, I have very very close shots of Roger and there is no clear evidence, his lip-synching is just perfect, except that it somehow doesn't feel right.

I can't really say how much of the lip-synching is going on, whether it is the whole show, some songs, or just parts of the songs. For instance the new songs (that I really like, by the way), sound and on videos look like they are live, but so did WYWH to me (which is really not a difficult song to sing). I like Roger, I like his shows, but I think it is a shame he can not admit his limitations and give the audience a sincere live performance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 08:24 by Happy24.

Date: July 8, 2018 09:02

Hyde Park show review from Rolling Stone magazine:

Roger Waters Supersizes Pink Floyd Hits, Skewers Trump at Massive London Show

Roger

In front of a crowd of around 65,000, singer-songwriter created a spectacle that was both entertaining and cutting
By Kory Grow

Halfway through a note-faithful performance of Pink Floyd’s 17-minute “Dogs,” Roger Waters and his band took a wine break. They put on grotesque swine masks – Waters’ looked a bit like the singer from Slipknot – gathered around a table and went about their piggily business, until the singer-songwriter lifted up a giant sign that read, “Pigs rule the world!” There was a moderate rumble among the dozens of thousands of fans assembled. Then he held up another – “@#$%& the pigs!” – and the audience erupted.

For more than a year, Waters has been on less of a “rock tour” and more of a campaign for civility and humanity. He’s dubbed the run “Us + Them,” after his former band’s song about divisiveness, but the theme of tonight’s show was about unity through resistance. Waters and his band spent around two-and-a-half hours (including a 20-minute, opinion-filled intermission) skewering Donald Trump, highlighting recent injustices around the world and proselytizing people to come together to a soundtrack of Pink Floyd classics and songs from his solo career. It worked.

The gargantuan crowd, which consisted mostly of Brits but with occasional European tourists calling out in their native tongues, cheered Waters’ emasculation of the U.S. head of state and, with few exceptions, cheered a brief speech in which the singer voiced his support of Palestine. Giant screens about the size of half a football field showed drone warfare footage, the story of the recently deceased Palestinian nurse Razan al-Najjar and, during “Pigs,” imagery of Donald Trump vomiting, driving a child’s wagon, wearing makeup, revealing a micropenis and wearing a KKK mask. At every turn, the crowd was rapt, but that was to be expected.

Ever since the Rolling Stones attracted some 250,000 fans to see them a couple of days after Brian Jones’ death, larger-than-life Hyde Park concerts have been a London mainstay. Over the years, the park has also hosted Pink Floyd and Waters as a solo act many times. Tonight’s show – which was part of the British Summer Time festival and featured opening performances by Squeeze and former Verve singer Richard Ashcroft, among others – was destined to be special since it represented a homecoming for Waters and it was a rare outdoor show on a tour designed for arenas.

The production, in the Waters and Pink Floyd traditions, was an outright spectacle. Although the gig had an inauspicious start, as daylight blanched a hearty chunk of the visuals, it became formidable by the time the sun went down and felt even more overwhelming than it did in U.S. arenas last year. At indoor shows, a screen comes down to bisect the audience (demonstrating the “us and them” mentality); the screen grows smokestacks to resemble the Battersea Power Station on the cover of Pink Floyd’s Animals LP and an inflatable pig and mirror-like moon float over the crowd. Since you can’t put a screen over a festival audience, Waters had to rely on a standard screen behind him at tonight’s show, but it was big enough that you didn’t question it. When the smokestacks began rumbling up during “Dogs” – only to produce real smoke and complete with a miniature flying pig – it was dramatic enough to make you feel like you’re falling right into a surrealistic scene. And both the moon and pig (which bears the graffiti “Stay human … or die”) are supersized.

Even the songs sounded bigger. With a head-spinning surround sound setup that can make helicopters sound like they’re overhead and can throw a voice well enough to convince you to eat your meat, so you can get pudding, you feel at one with the sound. And even though much of the set list is around four decades old, the presentation of it – thanks, in part, to Waters’ smartly assembled backing band, which includes the singers from Lucius – makes it feel fresh. “Money,” which got an assist from a greedy Donald Trump sample at the beginning, had a walloping bass line that shook the field, while “The Great Gig in the Sky” featured a slightly more aggressive vocal by the women of Lucius.

The material from last year’s Is This the Life We Really Want?, like “Déjà Vu” and “Smell the Roses” (during which Waters inexplicably acts as though he’s been shackled and hung up) already sounded like distant cousins of Waters’ Pink Floyd swan song The Final Cut and in the context with the other songs, they fit right in and sounded cohesive. When coupled with the visuals, it was enough to inspire massive sing-alongs on “Wish You Were Here” and “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2.” When Waters sang “The lunatic is on the grass” in “Brain Damage,” it was more like 65,000 lunatics and the grass was Hyde Park’s. By the time a pyramid of lasers formed over the audience for “Eclipse,” the show had become its own unique psychedelic odyssey.

But for as avant-garde as some of the staging was, there was no illusion about what message Waters wanted to walk away with. The first act ended with school kids from Portobello in London. They started out dressed in orange like prisoners but wore execution-style masks over their head. By the end of the song, they broke free and revealed T-shirts that said, “Resist.” The entirety of the 20-minute intermission was visuals parsing what people should resist. These topics include Mark Zuckerberg (“He is slowly trying to eliminate any website that doesn’t conform to his consumerist world view”), anti-Semitism and “Israeli anti-Semitism” (“Yes, Israel discriminates against Palestinians on the basis of religion and ethnicity”), Nikki Haley (“All she needs is a Darth Vader helmet and she’d be the perfect representative for the evil empire”), neo-fascism, alliances with tyrants, the military industrial complex and profit from war and so on.

Waters isn’t afraid of hiding his agenda. Right before the evening’s final song, “Comfortably Numb,” he came out with a Palestinian keffiyeh and put it around his neck. “We’re all faced with a choice – all of us – and that choice is whether or not we believe in the contents of the Universal Declaration of Human Right in Paris in 1948,” he told the crowd. “The Declaration states that all of us here in this beautiful park, all of us in this country, all our brothers and sisters all over the world deserve equal and civil rights. And these rights … are irrespective of ethnicity or religion. So they would extend to my brothers and sisters in Palestine.” Only a few stray boos cut through the cheers when he was done.

Waters wore the keffiyeh draped around his neck until the end of the song, and he’s periodically stretch his arms out in a Christ-like pose, a look that was all the more impressive when fireworks exploded from behind the stage for the finale. As the throngs called out for an encore they wouldn’t get, it was clear that Waters had delivered his message, or at least presented it in a way that won them over and would inspire conversations at home. If his goal was to create something that felt like more than a rock concert in a park, then Waters is a champion.

Re: OT: Roger Waters 2017/2018
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 8, 2018 17:09

Never liked the guy. Nothing Ive ever seen or heard about him made me change that, and this report only confirms me that this is not a show (probably a very apt word to call it by) I would have wanted to attend.
But those 70s records were so good...

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 8, 2018 17:11

......because of the guitar player.

Date: July 8, 2018 17:13

....who happened to have a better singing voice also.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 8, 2018 17:19

....as well as a great producer whose arrangements are the archetypal sound that made Pink Floyd music so relevant.
Without him Pink Floyd would have been the support band of this Dylan wannabe

Date: July 8, 2018 17:27

Credit must also go to the delicate but defining contributions of the keyboard player RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 18:23 by SomeGuy.

Date: July 8, 2018 20:08

But without the main songwriter who wrote 90% of all those classic '70's albums (that being Roger Waters), what would have happened to the guitar player and keyboardist?
As neither of those two wrote very much (Gilmour admitted he was very lazy), they probably would have been relegated to sidemen for some other band that had a songwriter to do all the work for them.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 9, 2018 00:42

on a happy note, from all reports the Cure did an excellent show at Hyde Park the next day. sold out for the 40th anniversary. what a weekend!

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: July 9, 2018 02:07

And Clapton and Winwood were good tonight ( less so Santana)

Date: July 9, 2018 02:20

Hairball
But without the main songwriter who wrote 90% of all those classic '70's albums (that being Roger Waters), what would have happened to the guitar player and keyboardist?
As neither of those two wrote very much (Gilmour admitted he was very lazy), they probably would have been relegated to sidemen for some other band that had a songwriter to do all the work for them.

True.

Date: July 9, 2018 06:39

EJM

bongomania? grinning smiley

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: July 9, 2018 14:09

crholmstrom
on a happy note, from all reports the Cure did an excellent show at Hyde Park the next day. sold out for the 40th anniversary. what a weekend!

I can confirm The Cure were indeed excellent. Great versions of Play for Today and A Forest. Finished up with a run of their oldest songs, most of which I'd have heard the last time I saw them in 1984.

My first time at a Hyde Park gig since the Stones in 2013. Nice memories.

Date: July 9, 2018 14:11

SomeGuy
Never liked the guy. Nothing Ive ever seen or heard about him made me change that, and this report only confirms me that this is not a show (probably a very apt word to call it by) I would have wanted to attend.
But those 70s records were so good...

Whereas the same report makes me sad that I missed it...each to their own!

Agree with you that the 70s records were good though...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 9, 2018 15:00

EJM

Did they play together? Seems like a missed opportunity if they didn't.

As for Pink Floyd, yeah the other two (really the whole band besides Roger) could be lazy, but its also one of the few bands where I thought the contributions ended up equal. Roger gave them a place to start but you needed the others to fill in the lines. Its why I thought all their solo work was lacking. Hell, its why I thought the Beatles solo work for the most part was lacking. Those guys ain't nothing without each other. And I think Floyd is one of those bands where it truly seemed like a democracy and everyone was on the same page. Gilmour and Wright and Mason knew just what to add to a Roger Waters song to make it fantastic and I could never credit most of their songs to any one person the way I could with Beatles or Stones for example. And thats what I always liked about them.

Date: July 9, 2018 16:17

JumpinJimF
crholmstrom

I can confirm The Cure were indeed excellent. Great versions of Play for Today and A Forest. Finished up with a run of their oldest songs, most of which I'd have heard the last time I saw them in 1984.

I've made a lot of friends on the Cure Community forum. Lot of people travelled from all over for the show. I couldn't do the flight from Seattle due to some serious health issues. I even got offered a ticket for the show they did at Meltdown (that one was a tough ticket!). The band did 2 very different sets between the 2 shows. I saw them 2 years ago & the current line up is very strong. Robert Smith seems pretty inspired right now. Hopefully there will be some new music & a more extensive tour soon. For me, their music has held very well over time. & the addition of Reeves Gabrels on guitar was a brilliant move. I've been a fan of his since Tin Machine/David Bowie days. Great guitar player & nice man to boot!

Date: July 9, 2018 16:35

crholmstrom
JumpinJimF
crholmstrom

I've made a lot of friends on the Cure Community forum. Lot of people travelled from all over for the show. I couldn't do the flight from Seattle due to some serious health issues. I even got offered a ticket for the show they did at Meltdown (that one was a tough ticket!). The band did 2 very different sets between the 2 shows. I saw them 2 years ago & the current line up is very strong. Robert Smith seems pretty inspired right now. Hopefully there will be some new music & a more extensive tour soon. For me, their music has held very well over time. & the addition of Reeves Gabrels on guitar was a brilliant move. I've been a fan of his since Tin Machine/David Bowie days. Great guitar player & nice man to boot!

Reeves Gabrels was excellent as was Simon Gallup on bass. And I'd kind of forgotten that Robert Smith is a pretty good guitarist as well. He seemed genuinely overcome with the audience reaction and said some nice words about the early days before they did the oldest songs at the end.

Having said that, "10:15 Saturday Night" started a few minutes late by my watch...

Make sure you catch them if they do a proper tour, and I hope your health improves.

Date: July 10, 2018 06:19

JumpinJimF
crholmstrom
JumpinJimF
crholmstrom

Reeves Gabrels was excellent as was Simon Gallup on bass. And I'd kind of forgotten that Robert Smith is a pretty good guitarist as well. He seemed genuinely overcome with the audience reaction and said some nice words about the early days before they did the oldest songs at the end.

Having said that, "10:15 Saturday Night" started a few minutes late by my watch...

Make sure you catch them if they do a proper tour, and I hope your health improves.

thank you

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 10, 2018 22:11

I saw him in Glasgow last week and the sound/ visuals were mind-blowing. The 'Animals' section was truly fantastic. He has a sh1t-hot band especially Jonathan Wilson and the 2 girls from Lucien have the voices of angels. Bought the cheapest ticket and had one of the best seats in the house (no Pit required-he's not the kind of act where you need to be up close and personal).

Would say the political tone may be a bit much for some but if you can over-look it then a great show. Poor Trump grinning smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 10, 2018 22:23

ROLLINGSTONE
I saw him in Glasgow last week and the sound/ visuals were mind-blowing. The 'Animals' section was truly fantastic. He has a sh1t-hot band especially Jonathan Wilson and the 2 girls from Lucien have the voices of angels. Bought the cheapest ticket and had one of the best seats in the house (no Pit required-he's not the kind of act where you need to be up close and personal).

Would say the political tone may be a bit much for some but if you can over-look it then a great show. Poor Trump grinning smiley

Saw Waters in Hyde Park. Great show, great music and great production with the limits an outdoor ahow has. I am just very thankful to musicians in their 60'ies snd 70'ies still around and wanting to entertain us.

The day Eric, Waters, Santana, Winwood, Stones and Macca etc. are not around anymore, the world will be much poorer.... Hence, I take as many concerts as I can.

As for politics.... all musicisns should speak frealy no matter who they criticise... music was initially also a platform for critical opinion against society / politics and that should continue.... cheers

Date: July 11, 2018 04:49

mtaylor
Saw Waters in Hyde Park. Great show, great music and great production with the limits an outdoor ahow has. I am just very thankful to musicians in their 60'ies snd 70'ies still around and wanting to entertain us.

The day Eric, Waters, Santana, Winwood, Stones and Macca etc. are not around anymore, the world will be much poorer.... Hence, I take as many concerts as I can.

As for politics.... all musicisns should speak frealy no matter who they criticise... music was initially also a platform for critical opinion against society / politics and that should continue.... cheers

Indeed, Im grateful for the older artists we can still enjoy. Most of them could have simply retired you know, who still works at 74??
All musicians should speak their minds freely, but then all listeners are free to have their opinion abou them also.
Art that gets too political often gets tainted by the triviality of it all, dont you think? And why would we want to turn to musicians for that anyway.
Whether music was initially also a platform for critical opinion against society / politics.. I doubt that, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 04:51 by SomeGuy.

Date: July 11, 2018 05:15

Not sure if the prehistoric cavemen who were making music by banging rocks together and grunting were giving a critical opinion about their society and/or politics, but maybe they were?
Maybe it was a way to communicate displeasure with the doings of the head caveman? Or a battle cry against the neighboring caves? Or admonishing the neighborhood bully? Or maybe they were demanding improvements in their lives...like the need for a wheel, or the need for some fire? Or maybe it was something to do with praising their gods? Or maybe just a form of entertainment? A way to get some girls into their caves? A prehistoric form of women, wine, and song? Maybe it was all of the above? Would be interesting to know what went through their minds all those years ago, and not just in regards to music...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 22

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home