Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Ranking all the 373 Rolling Stones songs
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 6, 2017 09:12

Cristiano Radtke
This might be the list to end every other "best of" lists - or at least to start a discussion about why Gomper's rank is so low. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[www.vulture.com]

Thanks for posting!

Date: May 6, 2017 09:48

Like someone said "ranking songs is bullshit"; still, there should be a minimum of
common ground here. I only got AS far as around 340, and abandoned it. To list "I Cant be Satisfied", "Harlem Shuffle", "King Bee", "Tie You Up", "2120 So Michigan Ave" as the worst Stones songs ever, is someone who just doesn't get it.
Must be one of those modern type Stones "fans"; who wear Stones tongue T Shirts because they are fashionable.

edit - I couldn't resist, I had to look at the top of the list, and I have to say, all the positive clips about songs, all the way to around 200 are heart felt, and written with insight. So,..all I can say is"ranking songs really is bullshit".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-06 09:54 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 6, 2017 11:37

The Rolling Stones songs Watching The River Flow (released as Ben Waters track) and The Rocky Road To Dublin (with The Chieftains) are missing, but Natural Magic and Key To The Highway (Stu only) are included, with no Stones member playing at all. And that's not the only strange thing about this listing. Beast Of Burden 3rd best track is absurd. Why not Keys To Your Love on number 4? That's a BOB-variation. The only good thing about this attempt is the revindication of Dirty Work.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-06 19:23 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 6, 2017 12:09

The list is at times completely insane of course, but I very much enjoyed reading it. The guy writes well, and even his weirdest choices he knows how to describe well.

(P.S. I don't mind BoB rated so high, though, it certainly does belong in their "best 20", I'd say)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-06 12:11 by matxil.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 6, 2017 12:26

Mona 279 ..... Red Rooster 223 .... all one can do is friggin' laugh ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 6, 2017 13:48

We can disagree with the guy who came up with that list ("All about You" at #335!!!) but his reviews are concise, well written and his points of view on the music of the rolling stones are well represented in his tune-inventory. Hats off!!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: May 6, 2017 14:34

Rockman
Mona 279 ..... Red Rooster 223 .... all one can do is friggin' laugh ....

And King Bee... Of course he is wrong about those. Route 66 deserves a higher ranking too but i suspect it's the vocals and perhaps a comparison to the more original blues versions. I was pleased to see B&L way down on the list as well as the modern Keith ballads. ????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-06 14:34 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 6, 2017 14:47

Cristiano Radtke
This might be the list to end every other "best of" lists - or at least to start a discussion about why Gomper's rank is so low. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[www.vulture.com]

There are many ways to interpret this list. One could easily consider it to be an insult to the millions of Rolling Stones fans aging from say the age of 10 to 80. Depending on the time of life each individual fan has his/her personal first ever encounter with the music of the band. From there on each individual develops his/her own preference/taste and as such would be entitled to create his/her personal favorite list. Anyone who thinks to have a "final say" on what the "final" list could/should be to me is an arrogant snob, whatever arguments are used.
Just enjoy The Rolling Stones music in you own personal way ;-)

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: May 6, 2017 14:59

Midnight Rambler number 29 ???
I suspect an using of random program smiling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 6, 2017 15:57

Bottom line the Stones wrote a Hell of a lot of great songs......hot smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 6, 2017 18:12

Nice list but the ranking makes no sence for me Lies on 54!!!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 6, 2017 18:37

Subjective BS. This guy may be a clever writer, but his rankings are no more valid or official than any Stones fan.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 6, 2017 18:49

Cristiano Radtke

[www.vulture.com]

Here is where he reveals ZERO knowledge and credibility..excellent album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

117. “Dirty Work,” Dirty Work
The title track to the band’s excellent 1986 album, “Dirty Work” is

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 6, 2017 19:13

Ranking is stupid. That said this list is ridiculous. Back To Zero is one of the worst Stones songs ever and its in the top 100. Ridiculous!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 6, 2017 19:27

DaveG
Subjective BS. This guy may be a clever writer, but his rankings are no more valid or official than any Stones fan.

That may be the best part. How long would it take us to shuffle the deck on 373 Stones songs? It may take me a month without interruption.

Date: May 6, 2017 19:48

371. “Going Home,” Aftermath
Here and there you’ll find people arguing that this clattering jam, the final track on the otherwise excellent Aftermath, is innovative because of its 11-minute length — nearly unprecedented for a rock band in 1966. The first three minutes of “Going Home” consist of a non-awful blues tune. The following eight are aimless, uninspired, and not especially skillful.

Thank you.

Date: May 6, 2017 19:50

326. “This Place Is Empty,” A Bigger Bang
Got a big presentation to give tomorrow and can’t sleep? You’re out of Ambien? Try this Keith bore.

Finally.

Date: May 6, 2017 19:52

249. “Black Limousine,” Tattoo You
A too-straightforward and too-workmanlike original blues.

Spot on.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 6, 2017 20:06

Ambitious list. Maybe too ambitious? Many rights, some wrongs. Which is only natural since there is no definitive list...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 6, 2017 20:32

potus43
Cristiano Radtke

[www.vulture.com]

Here is where he reveals ZERO knowledge and credibility..excellent album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

117. “Dirty Work,” Dirty Work
The title track to the band’s excellent 1986 album, “Dirty Work” is
Different opinions.

[www.robertchristgau.com]

I never thought I'd get off on a new Stones album this much again.

After almost two decades on top, they seemed too convoluted to come out with such direct, hard-driving music, but it's folly to underestimate their survivorship, so I'm not surprised that they did. The sure thing was that they couldn't make me care about it--that no adjustment in the music or persona could jolt what they said or how they said it past my sensorium and into my soul. And I was wrong. Dirty Work (Rolling Stones) is a bracing and even challenging record. It innovates without kowtowing to multiplatinum fashion or half-assed pretension. It's honest and makes you like it. It's only Rolling Stones, yet it breaks down their stifling insularity, as individuals and as an entity. Since the last time the Stones released a surprising record--Some Girls, eight years ago now, a third of their famous career out the window--the Stones have turned into exceptionally disgusting rock professionals. That doesn't mean it's been possible to dismiss them or their music--what's made them so disgusting is that you couldn't. Who gives a @#$%& if that smarmy has-been Mike Love seeds the PMRC or Ritchie Blackmore feeds his runs into an emulator? Who gives a @#$%& if Ozzy Osbourne gets fat on raw chicken or David Crosby gets fat on raw coke or Pete Townshend invents the rock novel? All these guys are pathetic clowns no matter how much money they make, pathetic clowns even if you have to respect them in a way, as I do Townshend and Osbourne. There's nothing pathetic about the Stones. That's what's made them worth hating in the '80s.

I mean, People and Rolling Stone don't go to Ron for comic relief or Keith for cautionary parables or Mick for thoughtful regrets--they go to them because they're almost as classy as Ahmet Ertegun. And though the music has been mostly dreck if not literal outtakes, there've been top-10 singles with every new studio release, deft and heretical and even nasty videos, and just to be contrary, one Good Stones Album. Some Girls it wasn't, but Tattoo You was better if not braver than Black and Blue and more attentively crafted than anything they'd recorded since their tenure as a vital force ended unexpectedly with Exile on Main Street in 1972. You were free not to like it much anyway, but you had to do backflips to explain why, eventually landing on one old saw or another, "commitment" or "inspiration" or something equally crucial and unempirical. You knew damn well that whatever you called it had gone thataway. And yet there were Ron and Keith and especially Mick (leave Bill and Charlie out of this), pulling that world's-greatest routine like there was no tomorrow.

Five years later, with only Undercover to show for it, the same saws are sure to bombard Dirty Work, in many ways a disgusting development indeed. First, it's the group's debut for CBS, which bought their myth even bigger than it did Paul McCartney's, squandering corporate resources that younger bands deserved. Then recall their special-achievement Grammy, accepted with hardly a smirk by a bunch of cynics who'd been blackballed back when they really were the world's greatest, followed by the rubber-lipped stereotyping of Ralph Bakshi's "Harlem Shuffle" video. There's the public disaffection of the band's fearless leader, who wouldn't start work on the album because he was promoting his last solo effort and won't tour behind it because he's starting work on the next one. Finally, there's coproducer Steve Lillywhite, who whilst proclaiming back-to-basics turned Dirty Work into the cleanest-sounding Stones album ever.

In the end its the production that will make or break this album critically, where it's sure to put off purists, skeptics, and snipers, and commercially, where it's almost sure to pull in trendies, children, and curiosity-seekers. Not that it isn't plenty basic, don't get me wrong. Based on riffs worked up by Ron and Keith before Jagger sullied his consciousness with them, the arrangements are the simplest on any Stones album since Some Girls if not Aftermath. There are no horns, the backup singers know their place, and Jagger doesn't bother with the melismatic affectations that have turned so much of his '80s product in on itself. What's more, Lillywhite claims that all the songs, including many keeper vocals, were recorded live in the studio. But I wouldn't expect the pear-shaped guitar breaks that finish off both lead cuts of Mick Taylor, much less Ron or Keith (Jimmy Page gets a credit). The up-front drums--some supplied, I hear, by computerized Charlie, with the inevitable loss of subliminal unpredictability--are pure Lillywhite. And so is the overall sound of the thing. As a matter of technical principle, Lillywhite goes for a mix that's as spacious as the arena-rock simulations of the '70s yet doesn't murk up details, and he gets it every time. Anybody who thought "Miss You" was a sellout is going to puke all over this one.

Me, I'm a Marshall Crenshaw fan who thinks Field Day is the man's strongest album, and I like the way Lillywhite and the Stones collide. Just as his drum mix underscored Field Day's depth, his clinical spaciousness recasts Jagger's fascination with distance, which of late has made Mick sound more lost than anything else (and without even knowing it, poor old guy). But where Lillywhite unbalanced Crenshaw's commercial appeal, the Stones have the mythic clout to take him on. This record is going to @#$%& the heads of the young chime addicts who think U2 and Big Country are guitar bands. It's clean and even modish, but until the side-closers it's utterly unpretty, and its momentum is pitiless. Jagger bullies up into a steady bellow that has all the power of Plant or Hagar and none of the histrionics. Catch me in a perverse mood and I'll even defend the video--better they should offend by meaning to than by breathing.

Anyway, "Harlem Shuffle" is hardly the first good song betrayed by its promo, and now please turn the album over--the second side is the prize. I give you "Winning Ugly," "Back to Zero," and "Dirty Work," their meanest political statements in 15 years, and not for want of trying. These songs aren't about geopolitical contradictions. They're about oppressing and being oppressed. Jagger always plays dirty, always robs the other guy, and it's beginning to get to him; he misuses the jerks, greaseballs, @#$%& and dumbasses who clean up after him and that doesn't make him feel so good either; and for all his class he's another nuclear subject who's got no say over whether he rots or pops even though he'd much prefer the former. For once his lyrics aren't intricately ironic. They're impulsive and confused, almost jottings, two-faced by habit rather than design, the straightest reports he can offer from the top he's so lonely at. They're powerful because they're about power, a topic unpretty enough to fit right in. And together with the hard advice of "Hold Back"--"Don't matter if you ain't so good-looking/If you ain't sharp as a blade/Don't be afraid/Don't hold back/Life is passing you by"--they're winning hints of a moral center somewhere in the vicinity of the singer's perpetual disillusionment. They contextualize the ironic persona-play of "Fight" and the unrecontructed send-off of "Had It with You" and the found sexism of "Too Rude" and the slum-hopping groove of "Harlem Shuffle." They set up the dog-tired compassion of "Sleep Tonight," which Keith turns into the Stones' most poignant ballad since "Angie." They assure that Dirty Work is a Very Good Stones Album.

All that's missing, in fact, is one identiriff classic, a "Jumping Jack Flash" or "Tumbling Dice" or "Start Me Up" that could define a summer and shove the tough stuff--"Winning Ugly" and "Dirty Work" are two of the most unpleasant songs anybody's going to write about the '80s--down America's throat. Identiriffs are Keith's department, and thus I'm not inclined to trumpet this artistic comeback as his vindication. Sure it's his recidivist guitar that makes Dirty Work hot, but if you'll pardon my saw, it Jagger's offhand input that makes it matter. We should be thankful the old reprobate didn't lavish much personal attention on it, that he just plugged into his Stones mode and spewed what he had to spew. Let him express himself elsewhere. The individual Rolling Stones can have their own disgusting lives and careers--I don't care. What I want is the Rolling Stones as an entity, an idea--that's mine and yours as much as theirs. And it's the Rolling Stones as an idea that Dirty Work vindicates.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 6, 2017 21:07

This guy is not a Stones fan

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 6, 2017 21:31

Dirty Work is an underated but very good album, a semi-classic, imo. DW is their best 80s album, no doubt about it. It rocks hard, it grooves like hell, it is raw, sleazy and full of anger, passionate singing and superb guitar attacks all over. I never understood how could there be so much hatred for a very good album. DW beats the hell out of any album they recorded afterwards. What makes people think One Hit, Fight, Winning Ugly, DW, Had It With You etc are bad songs? I´ll never know...

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: May 6, 2017 22:59

slewan
ranking songs is bullshit!!
It is impossible to rank things that can't be expressed by numbers / in a mathematical way. You can rank income, size of flats, mountains by heights etc etc. But you can rank songs, cats, etc. There's no way to tell that song A is five times better than songs B or that the difference between songs C and D is the same as the difference between song E and F…
Or is anybody able to tell why Waiting For A Friend is ranked ten ranks above All Down The Line? Does this mean that Waiting For A Friend is in the same way superior to All Down The Line as Shattered is to Soul Surivor (there are the same number of songs ranked between each of those "pairs")
as I said before: RANKING IS BULLSHIT since there are not criteria that cann be expressed in or transfered to numbers

Totally agree, music is not an objective science- what moves one person can be a complete bore to another

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 6, 2017 23:29

HMS
Dirty Work is an underated but very good album, a semi-classic, imo. DW is their best 80s album, no doubt about it. It rocks hard, it grooves like hell, it is raw, sleazy and full of anger, passionate singing and superb guitar attacks all over. I never understood how could there be so much hatred for a very good album. DW beats the hell out of any album they recorded afterwards. What makes people think One Hit, Fight, Winning Ugly, DW, Had It With You etc are bad songs? I´ll never know...

OK then...knew immediately you wrote that funny list...

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 7, 2017 01:28

georgie48
Cristiano Radtke

[www.vulture.com]

There are many ways to interpret this list. One could easily consider it to be an insult to the millions of Rolling Stones fans aging from say the age of 10 to 80. Depending on the time of life each individual fan has his/her personal first ever encounter with the music of the band. From there on each individual develops his/her own preference/taste and as such would be entitled to create his/her personal favorite list. Anyone who thinks to have a "final say" on what the "final" list could/should be to me is an arrogant snob, whatever arguments are used.
Just enjoy The Rolling Stones music in you own personal way ;-)

ty; that's how I look it at too because Time Is On My Side was their first huge single in the U.S. and it was all over the radio; THAT and Rt. 66 was what got me into them in the first place, so I'm always gonna love those songs and versions. They are always gonna be 'go to' songs for me personally, even though I'm as huge a fan of their writing when it's great, as anyone.
Rt. 66 was a huge song covered by everyone for a long time before they got to it. My parents even had a version on a Perry Como album! That is when I first heard the song. I remember as a kid goofing around starting my own little 'playlists' as I played stuff on the victrola, haa yep, and I'd put on Perry's for a bit, then tear it off the turntable and put on the Stones cut, and it was a revelation; for me it was like, wow, this long haired rock and roll thing is taking over, and believe it or not, as a kid I liked them old pop crooners a bit; I did. Perry even had a big TV show; I just loved music.

Rt. 66 by The Stones was proof positive that there was something really explosive, sort of space race rocket riding stuff, and it was a new kind of era. So for my own personal reason, I love that version. Same with Down The Road A Piece, tho their version of it is not my fave as I got a little older and dug a little deeper and went back in time a bit...but same kinda thing; I LOVE their take on it. And it's also the first time I heard that song! And I still listen to Stones Rt. 66 all these years later. I don't even know where he rated them, nor care really. I like his writing a lot tho.

Date: May 7, 2017 01:35

HMS

DW has it's moments for sure. Unfortunately for me I really mean 'moments.' Big fan of Harlem Shuffle tho, and I like the intensity of some of the guitar work and writing; but there is a serious, serious lack of Charlie on that album, and I didn't quite know exactly what was 'off,' but I kinda felt it, and that was one of the things holding me back from enjoying it. Without Charlie I cannot expect a Stones album to work for me. I still kind of really hate the drum sound and production on it. It stops me everytime I try.
Maybe hating each other's guts wasn't the best vibe for that LP, tho I had no idea at all about their personal stuff at the time. Nowadays when I can find alt. versions not produced so ugly, I tend to give it more of a chance. That LP for me, respectfully HMS, is sort of Losing Ugly. Maybe they should have someone re-mix it. ? Or have Charlie in studio and fix it? They never would do the latter, maybe someone would re-mix tho. Take the suckage out of it and let what is good about the guitars and songs come through. Also Mick is kind of one dimensional screaming; the rehearsals and alt. takes and such have him taking it easier, and it's more effective imo.

There are 5 LP's in the 80's, three of them I do without almost altogether. So I don't know which is worse as far as rating. ER and TY both have well deserved classics imo.
I guess maybe DW would be #3 out of the five because Shuffle was so great, and the material is good, if not the sound as qualified above, but that's it for me.
Love this guys writing; he seems a DW lover.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-07 02:11 by hopkins.

Date: May 7, 2017 09:46

One that doesn't like Dirty Work is no Stones fan. Look out for Rod Stewart or The Eagles!

Date: May 7, 2017 10:09

Guilty. Turning in my grooby fan-club card to headquarters. drinking smiley
Ron Wood's first recorded Stones song, Keith Emerson on keys & Mickey Waller on drums; half the crew of Beck's "Truth;" and 2/5ths of Faces:
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-07 10:32 by hopkins.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 7, 2017 13:07

Monsoon Ragoon
One that doesn't like Dirty Work is no Stones fan. Look out for Rod Stewart or The Eagles!

Joke of the year...

Date: May 7, 2017 13:28

shortfatfanny
Monsoon Ragoon

Joke of the year...

Sorry, that wasn't a joke ;-)

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2286
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home