Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT : Jack Nicholson is 80 today
Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 27, 2017 04:28

I don't think anyone's mentioned his great early scene in Easy Rider!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 27, 2017 04:31

(wrong topic)

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-27 04:33 by angee.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 27, 2017 16:04

dcba
stone4ever
too bad our heroes get old and retire.
Jack for me is the greatest and the coolest.

Imho Jack got retired in the early 80's when Lucas and Spielberg got really big. These two nuisances turned the American cinema into sth designed for 8-12 yo kids. In that silly universe serious actors like Nicholson were logically pushed to the side.

Compare how many (great) films JN did in the 70's and how many he did in the 80's.
Nicholson worked less because he simply didn't want, or need, to work. He's one of the highest-paid actors in film history and has an art collection worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Not to mention his acting became much more cliched as he aged and revolved around him simply portraying "cool Jack" (the voice, the eyebrows) than pushing the boundaries of his craft.

Same with De Niro and Pacino...the drive waned with age and they became parodies in some ways, although all three were and are still capable of great work if they try.

Reminds me of a certain band...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 27, 2017 16:32

keefriff99

Nicholson worked less because he simply didn't want, or need, to work.

Imho they all worked less cause Hollywood went full retard during the 80's. If you were a grown-up looking for a movie to watch that wasn't pimping at 12 yo kids you were in trouble.
The culprits : Spielberg and Lucas.

Look at what happened to Nicholson in the 80's :
in "Batman" or "The Witches of Eastwick" he became a buffoon, a carnival attraction, squandering the great talent he had. That's what Hollywood wanted : a grimacing figure in movies for teenagers.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 27, 2017 17:05

noughties
Didn`t he behave very badly in that scene?

Yes. He was an ass.
It's interesting how your perspective changes over time. Back then, I bought the filmmakers perspective that this was a tortured doomed artist; now, I see the character as an unhappy, angry @#$%&.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 27, 2017 17:24

dcba
keefriff99

Nicholson worked less because he simply didn't want, or need, to work.

Imho they all worked less cause Hollywood went full retard during the 80's. If you were a grown-up looking for a movie to watch that wasn't pimping at 12 yo kids you were in trouble.
The culprits : Spielberg and Lucas.

Look at what happened to Nicholson in the 80's :
in "Batman" or "The Witches of Eastwick" he became a buffoon, a carnival attraction, squandering the great talent he had. That's what Hollywood wanted : a grimacing figure in movies for teenagers.
There was nothing squandered about his role in Batman...it was a great, campy, twisted, malevolent performance, and he earned over $80 million from it.

First, your interpretation of film is over-simplified: the modern blockbuster started with Jaws, which was an early '70s film. Secondly: the cinema of the '70s was a once in a lifetime occurrence (much like the music scene of the '60s and early '70s) that was driven by Vietnam, Watergate and the counter-culture. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to recreate that angst again, nor should we want to.

By the '80s, everyone just wanted to party and let the good times roll with "kindly ol' granddad" Reagan in charge (yeah, right).

Secondly: there are always great films being produced. Just because there's a mismatch between what's popular and what's quality doesn't mean you can't search out good films.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 27, 2017 23:46

wonderboy
noughties
Didn`t he behave very badly in that scene?

Yes. He was an ass.
It's interesting how your perspective changes over time. Back then, I bought the filmmakers perspective that this was a tortured doomed artist; now, I see the character as an unhappy, angry @#$%&.

thumbs up
Well, finally someone who get my point. How far dare I stretch this? Is Nicholson´s popularity due to the fact that he, like The Stones, challenges law and order? He´s a "danger" to women. Considering "the voice, eyebrow" thing, he seems capable of really raising hell. There´s a bar in Oslo called Nichol & Son. -Hmm...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 28, 2017 00:04

I like Nicholson because he's hysterical and extremely witty. No one quite reads a line like him. I think liking him basically hinges on The Shining. Not totally, but thats the Jack I love and to me that role was basically Nicholson just being himself. He's so perfect in it. But I know many, especially Stephen King, hate his interpretation of the character. Basically because its just Jack. He's a great actor as well, and excellent in Cuckoo's Nest, but to me the Shining is the peak of a character I could never get enough of, and thats very much because of just how Nicholson was.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 28, 2017 01:50

RollingFreak
I like Nicholson because he's hysterical and extremely witty. No one quite reads a line like him. I think liking him basically hinges on The Shining. Not totally, but thats the Jack I love and to me that role was basically Nicholson just being himself. He's so perfect in it. But I know many, especially Stephen King, hate his interpretation of the character. Basically because its just Jack. He's a great actor as well, and excellent in Cuckoo's Nest, but to me the Shining is the peak of a character I could never get enough of, and thats very much because of just how Nicholson was.

thumbs up
My two favorite films of all time.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 28, 2017 01:54

Jack's great in most of his films ....

He's scene stealer much like Bogart ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: April 28, 2017 02:00

Jack Nicholson likes to sit on Keith's side, up about ten rows.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2017 20:05

I remember they flashed his face on the giant screens at Dodger stadium, 1997, along with a bunch of other celebrities in attendance.
It was a happy friendly environment like Disneyland with little kids on their parents shoulders...the danger was long gone...still a good show though.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1020
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home