Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: BIGGEST SELLING SINGLE ?
Date: April 19, 2017 14:14

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman
Mick wanted it on his own album as well, if memory serves.

While Mick brought Dave Jerden along from his solo sessions to engineer "State of Shock," there was never a chance for it to be on Mick's album the following year. Contractually, Mick was tied to Atlantic and EMI through December 1984. "State of Shock" and the VICTORY LP carry acknowledgements to Atlantic and EMI (in North America or the rest of the world, respectively) for Mick's participation. It was also on Epic Records, rather than the main Columbia imprint since the race boundaries were (unbelievably) still in effect three decades ago.

The fact that Mick was under contract to EMI and Atlantic at the time are also why there was no music video produced and why it couldn't be billed as a single by The Jacksons and Mick Jagger as artists.

And to The Worst, there was only one "State of Shock" commercially released. Most (if not all) of the bootlegs claiming to be Freddie Mercury and Michael on vocals are just low fidelity versions of the official single with Mick, not Freddie. The same sources that claim Freddie co-wrote the song under the pseudonym of Randy Hansen aren't aware that it is the guitarist Randy Hansen (the Minstrel Show Hendrix) who co-wrote the song, though he doesn't play on it - Earl Slick is playing on the track. Much like how Carlos Alomar doesn't play on the two songs he's credited with co-writing on SHE'S THE BOSS, Jeff Beck is playing. Carlos, incidentally, claims to have co-written seven songs for the album with Mick, but was only credited on two. Unlike Marti Fredericksen who claims he was paid for co-writing most of GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY with the understanding he would receive no credits for his songwriting contributions. I've always wondered what Matt Clifford made of that claim. I certainly can believe Clifford wrote or co-wrote enough of the melodies just as I did with Jimmy Rip for WANDERING SPIRIT. Alas, I'm off-topic again, but the Jagger Solo Works thread is far too uncivil for such speculation.

That makes sense indeed, but wasn't there a little feud in the media, where Mick criticised Jackson for not keeping his promises (that both artists, The Jacksons and Mick, could use the track on their respective albums).

I was only 13 at the time, but remember reading it as it were yesterday. No idea of where I read it, though.

Re: Biggest Selling Stones single?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 19, 2017 15:12

The Worst.
GasLight: Are you sure about those numbers? The sales figures listed in the comment sections on that blog seems to be extremely over-exaggerated. On what basis can the poster claim such impressive numbers? I can’t believe “Paint it Black” has sold 15 million physical copies. That would place it on the top 10 list of the bestselling singles of all time, but there’s no way “Paint it Black” has sold more copies than “White Christmas” or “Candle in the Wind”.

But perhaps the list you provide include digital sales, streaming and downloading history as well? That may be more believable, but it’s hard to estimate. I know “Paint it Black” allegedly has been played 88 million times on Spotify, but it’s always difficult to trust internet hit numbers for songs and videos due to digital bots who constantly keeps clicking and hitting. It’s called “click fraud” in the business. Spotify, Tidal and Randolph all went to court last year. According to a report, the industry estimated a loss of $7,2 BILLION due to paying advertising and royalties’ costs due to fake bots pretending to be real customers. Point is, never ever trust listed view and plays on youtube, spotify etc.

[qz.com]

I am not sure, and it's just a tiny bit odd that since 1991 it's practically impossible to get accurate record sales for some reason, but the way things are tallied these days, it makes sense that Paint It Black is their biggest "selling" track considering the movies it's been used in (I would imagine each time a movie is shown, see, if it's in 2,435 theaters and they all play the same movie 3 times a day, well... and then factor in Netflix, Amazon rental, whatever rentals, airplanes and on and on). I would imagine the paid-for streaming services are legit counts. A YouTube or Spotify play (as you pointed out, one can click on a YouTube video and it counts as one click, regardless of it being watched) has to happen, I forget how many, X amount of times to constitute moving one physical unit.

I do not know how it works with the paid services of YouTube's RedTube and Spotify but they certainly would be included in the streaming plays counts.

Look at beatzenith (not up to date) and then look at chartmasters. Those are the only two places I've ever seen anything accounted for with numbers concerning The Rolling Stones. Billboard has no such thing, just charting, at least from all I've seen.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 19, 2017 15:14

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman
Mick wanted it on his own album as well, if memory serves.

While Mick brought Dave Jerden along from his solo sessions to engineer "State of Shock," there was never a chance for it to be on Mick's album the following year. Contractually, Mick was tied to Atlantic and EMI through December 1984. "State of Shock" and the VICTORY LP carry acknowledgements to Atlantic and EMI (in North America or the rest of the world, respectively) for Mick's participation. It was also on Epic Records, rather than the main Columbia imprint since the race boundaries were (unbelievably) still in effect three decades ago.

The fact that Mick was under contract to EMI and Atlantic at the time are also why there was no music video produced and why it couldn't be billed as a single by The Jacksons and Mick Jagger as artists.

And to The Worst, there was only one "State of Shock" commercially released. Most (if not all) of the bootlegs claiming to be Freddie Mercury and Michael on vocals are just low fidelity versions of the official single with Mick, not Freddie. The same sources that claim Freddie co-wrote the song under the pseudonym of Randy Hansen aren't aware that it is the guitarist Randy Hansen (the Minstrel Show Hendrix) who co-wrote the song, though he doesn't play on it - Earl Slick is playing on the track. Much like how Carlos Alomar doesn't play on the two songs he's credited with co-writing on SHE'S THE BOSS, Jeff Beck is playing. Carlos, incidentally, claims to have co-written seven songs for the album with Mick, but was only credited on two. Unlike Marti Fredericksen who claims he was paid for co-writing most of GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY with the understanding he would receive no credits for his songwriting contributions. I've always wondered what Matt Clifford made of that claim. I certainly can believe Clifford wrote or co-wrote enough of the melodies just as I did with Jimmy Rip for WANDERING SPIRIT. Alas, I'm off-topic again, but the Jagger Solo Works thread is far too uncivil for such speculation.

That is... beyond goofy. Mick's not a control freak at all, huh.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 19, 2017 15:34

Paint it Black was on one of those Guitar Hero games that everybody bought one year. Maybe that is part of the sales, or sparked some sales.

Date: April 19, 2017 15:39

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 19, 2017 16:06

DandelionPowderman
That makes sense indeed, but wasn't there a little feud in the media, where Mick criticised Jackson for not keeping his promises (that both artists, The Jacksons and Mick, could use the track on their respective albums).

I was only 13 at the time, but remember reading it as it were yesterday. No idea of where I read it, though.

As you know, we're the same age. I don't doubt your recollection. I just wish I remember that one. I know there was a Jackson bio a few years later that claimed Michael made Mick sing scales for the first time in his life and that Mick was in terrible shape because Michael insisted it be an early morning session. The guy pushed the fact that it was Yetnikoff who made the duet happen and Michael didn't want Mick. I really doubt that myself. All I remember Mick saying was he didn't think it was very well produced. He only played it live one time, much like "Let's Work," he just never got behind the song the way he did "Just Another Night" or "Throwaway."

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home