Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A Bigger Bang The Greatest Release of the Decade???
Posted by: bddrex ()
Date: September 6, 2005 23:06

I just picked up my copy of A Bigger Bang and it rocks. Okay Okay I may be over doing this but let me ask you guys a question. With all the other crap being released like no talent artists (I'll be nice and not name any artists that people may or may not like.) but do you think that A Bigger Bang is the best release of the decade? I also know that the decade isn't close to being over yet but I honestly don't think that any release will top this. In my opinion every person on the planet should own this recording!!!

Re: A Bigger Bang The Greatest Release of the Decade???
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2005 23:18

A Bigger Bang is the best release of the decade....YES it's the perfect sonic reflection of the chaotic world we are all surviving in at the moment.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: September 6, 2005 23:21

Its a decent record, but you must be kidding !

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: September 6, 2005 23:27

I agree with you. Every ten years old habits die hard. Fortunately. Thank's to the Stones. Not easy to sleep since 5 days.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 6, 2005 23:27

bddrex Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just picked up my copy of A Bigger Bang and it
> rocks. Okay Okay I may be over doing this but let
> me ask you guys a question. With all the other
> crap being released like no talent artists (I'll
> be nice and not name any artists that people may
> or may not like.) but do you think that A Bigger
> Bang is the best release of the decade? I also
> know that the decade isn't close to being over yet
> but I honestly don't think that any release will
> top this. In my opinion every person on the
> planet should own this recording!!!

Not sure what decade you're talking about... if it's 2000 to 2010 then we have quite a ways to go...

If it's 1995 to 2005 then I have to nominate "Californication" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers as the "Album of the Decade"... this brilliant album is a compendium of monster songs like "Around the World", "Parallel Universe", "Scar Tissue", "Otherside", "Californication", "Easily", "This Velvet Glove", "Savior", and "Road Trippin'"....

9 Monster songs, a couple decent fillers and UNFORTUNATELY, a couple of whackos. If they'd left the whacko's out this album would be in league with Sticky Fingers ... "easily" smiling smiley

Date: September 6, 2005 23:28

Humanriff I am indeed not kidding. I've been telling my parents (and anybody else who will listen to me) the same thing. They have the same opinion as yourself. Luckily this is America and everybody has their own viewpoints. I'll admit that maybe I maybe going a tad overboard.

Date: September 6, 2005 23:30

Creedence I am talking about this decade 2000-2010.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2005 23:31

I think 'album of the decade' is a bit of a stretch, even taking into account one's initial enthusiasm

I can think of a few off the top of my head that are superior

Dylan/Love & Theft
Springsteen/The Rising
RHCP/By The Way
Johnny Cash/Solitary Man - American Recordings III

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 6, 2005 23:34

Are you asking us to listen to every release of the decade?!

Anyway, my answer is 'No'.

I know many far better releases - but I doubt that you will know them.

Oh yes, there are Bob Dylan's and Neil Young's 2001 and 2002 releases for a start.

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: September 6, 2005 23:34

To answer your question: HELL NO!

I bought the album yesterday and heard it 2 times. My first impression is, it´s an okay album but nothing more. It´s way too long. Some tracks are really lame and boring, just fillers. IMO some are okay but there is not one song I can say of it´s an amazing track or "best Stones tune ever heard". IMO nothing can beat the old shit from ´68 to ´74. Sorry. No, ABB did not impress me very much. Just my 2 cents...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 7, 2005 00:15

jury is still out (way out) on this album to be talking like this. But, I agree with some of the more sober observations above - at this point i could probably come up with at least a dozen albums out in the first half of this decade that are superior to ABB....

i think this "honeymoon period" with ABB has gotten normally right-minded folks a little drunk with euphoria....

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 7, 2005 00:25

Drunk with euphoria? I'm just a Stones fan, and, IM (not very humble) O, this is the best Stones release in 33yrs. Keith of course is completely straightsmiling smiley

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-07 00:26 by RankOutsider.

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: September 7, 2005 00:49

When you consider the worst track SOL is a hit in europe, It is a big release.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 7, 2005 01:00

And SOL 'SHOULD' be a hit! For god's sake this is not some garage band we're talking about here, these guys no the score, they KNOW how to write songs. Name a better ballad that has recieved air play in recent years? I don't see how you can be a Stones fan and NOT like this song, jeez! It's a 'love' song man, get over it!

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: September 7, 2005 01:06

There are a few better ones imho:
Springsteen - Devils And Dust
Go-Betweens - Oceans Apart
Dylan - Love And Theft
Plant - Dreramland and Mighty Rearranger

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: September 7, 2005 01:30

u2 all that you cant leave behind is great only time will tell so far there hasnt been any exiles or appetites in the new millenium yet

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: September 7, 2005 02:25

ABB has some great songs but some others just spoiled what could be a great album. Dangerous Beauty is crap and more 3 or 4. There are songs wich for me, are the best ones since Tattoo You. Thats why the album was so well receveid.

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: September 7, 2005 02:31

RankOutsider i don't like SOL because I don't like ballads. The only ballads i like are ones with an interestng Gitar part to learn, like Wild horses or Angie. LIND is better though. I think that would be a monster hit with "ballad people" .

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: September 7, 2005 06:56

it is an amazing record from start to finish,destin to be up there with dylan and the rising.abb rocks more than any album,a terrific effort.

john scialfa

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 7, 2005 08:05

Best release? Of which decade are you speaking?

1995-2005?

Johnny Cash: American albums
Wilco--"AM," "Being There," "Mermaid Avenue 1 & 2," "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"
Neil Young: "Broken Arrow," "Greendale"
Lucinda Williams: "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road"
Emmylou Harris: "Wrecking Ball"
Dylan: "Time Out of Mind," "Love & Theft"
White Stripes: "Elephant"
Rolling Stones: "Bridges to Babylon"

I'm having fun with, oh, almost two-thirds of "A Bigger Bang." It's loud and pretty kinetic. But when people mention "Some Girls" or "best of the decade," I have to wonder...

No drinking of the Kool-Aid, folks.

Date: September 7, 2005 08:16

This decade 2005 - 2010.....ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 7, 2005 09:29

Bob Dylan's Love And Theft has the edge over A Bigger Bang in my opinion. It's a little more lyrically and emotionally stimulating.

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: September 7, 2005 09:46

How can we tack about decade when it is not even half finished?
Yet I can argue that ABB is the best release in 2005 so far.
Dylan said in many interview that he had a "bunch of new song for the new album"
So I was waiting for new Stones and new Dylan. Stones surpassed my expectations!
great work! now it's Bob's turn.

Date: September 7, 2005 10:09

I agree with you KillRill A Bigger Bang is excellent from start to finish and is one of the best albums of the new millenium. I love the album.
When comparing A Bigger Bang with Love And Theft though Dylan's album has an extra dimension. His songs are rarely as simplistic as Oh No Not You Again, Rough Justice etc. and it's always interesting listening to his lyrics on that album - they cut much deeper.
A Bigger Bang is undoubtedly a great album but i do wonder whether it will engage my attention over a long period like Love And Theft has done over the last four years. It is a little simplistic in places perhaps to sustain repeated listens.

Date: September 7, 2005 10:14

Well Edward if I banished to a desert island tomorrow with only one disc from this decade(so far) then I'd rather be sitting there rockin' my life away with A Bigger Bang than Dylans Love & Theft.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: September 7, 2005 10:22

I love L&T very much; I even prefer it to TOOM. And after 4 years of listening it still "fresh" for me. I don't care about all that controversy about Dylan borrowing tunes and lyric parts. It's OK because it work so well, and we all live in postmodernism age anyway. As my favorite poet Brodsky said, "Culture is all of echoes and reflections".
Stones and Dylan do not compete in my mind because they work in different genres IMO.
I love them both I can't choose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-07 10:23 by KillRill.

Posted by: Wolter ()
Date: September 7, 2005 10:23

It's all a matter of taste guys.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 7, 2005 11:27

bddrex Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...but do you think that A Bigger
> Bang is the best release of the decade?

Why just "decade"? Why not "their best release ever"? Or why not "best release in the history of rock music"? Or, even better: "...in the history of mankind"?

Honestly, I appreciate anyone's enthusiasm, but concerning ABB, it's getting over the top.

Date: September 7, 2005 20:11

A Bigger Bang flows better than any Stones album apart from maybe Beggars Banquet and Some Girls but i do believe that the culminative affect is at times greater than the sum of its parts.
The greatest aspect of A Bigger Bang is every song works extremely effectively and they mould together like pieces of a jigsaw. I love the variety - there's a song that can appeal to almost everybody. There are a number of songs here that in years to come have the potential to be Stones classics - Laugh I Nearly Died being a prime example. Some of those rockers really do rock with more conviction than any Stones songs in at least the last 25 years and Mick's vocals bring back memories of his youth. I doubted he'd still got it in him but have been pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately though it's also these rockers (Rough Justice, Oh No Not You Again, She Saw Me Coming) that represent the album's most obvious weakness - poor cliche-ridden lyrics. Some of the slow - mid tempo songs have some of the best and most well thought out lyrics for some time but once the Stones decide to increase the tempo any kind of subtelty flies out the window. It's this aspect that they need to improve on .
Dangerous Beauty is the track that has grown on me the most. I think it's a prime example of a song that would have benefitted from the Taylor touch. A few Taylor inspired jazzy guitar licks would be the icing on the cake - it would make all the difference between a very good track and a truly great one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home