Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Semi OT: Facing The Age Thing...
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 11, 2017 16:27

An uncomfortable realization has been hitting home lately. Almost all of the songs and albums that cemented my taste in music are 40-50 or more years old! That can only mean - of course - that I am getting old as well! When I was a kid I used to mock older people who raved about Sinatra and Benny Goodman while dissing artists like the Stones; "When I was your age we had REAL music, not that rock and roll crap!" Oh well, every generation tends to think the music of their youth is what it's all about and nothing else comes close. It's all about what hits you between the eyeballs when you're young and impressionable. So I have to accept the fact that in some ways I've become my parents. However, while I certainly do prefer the music in the style of the Stones, etc, I never want to totally become my parents; I'm willing to believe that there are still great new artists in every generation. It just may be harder to find them due to the changing media landscape. But alas, I like what I like, and as Woody sang, "We all get old." What the hell? I'm pushing 60 but I feel as good as I've ever felt and... it's only rock and roll but I like it! smiling smiley

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Re: Semi OT: Facing The Age Thing...
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 11, 2017 16:41

I'm pushing 65 and I hear ya but I'm feeling good, weigh what I weighed at 17 and work hard to stay in shape (like a fabulous 73 year old we all know!)

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 11, 2017 16:53

Yeah, my 50 b-day is close, had my last kid at at 40,
and it's all bizarre.
While I am chauffeuring I DJ their music mostly, but as soon as they're out,
rock/roll and funk. And I get it while running/hiking. And during my laundress/scullery maid duties. Can't keep a rocker down, but somewhat adaptable, I guess.

Edit for spelling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-11 17:57 by 35love.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 11, 2017 21:10

[Grumble] Someone sent me this today, suggesting I might enjoy it. And there is no alcohol visible on the table.

[mb.ntd.tv]

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: February 11, 2017 21:24

At least the kids of today still listen to and respect the music of 40-50 years ago. Plenty of Rock, Soul, Blues, Reggae and Jazz records from that time are regarded as classics by the finsters. We may be getting older, but our music has held its' currency. The same couldn't be said for the Greatest Generation and their Swing Bands and Crooners.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 11, 2017 21:41

In 500 years from now people will be talking about the Rolling Stones,Beatles,Dylan I can keep going,they won't be talking about Coldplay or similar mediocre trash that rightfully belongs in the dustbin of history.

Nate

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 11, 2017 21:51

Nate
In 500 years from now people will be talking about the Rolling Stones,Beatles,Dylan I can keep going,they won't be talking about Coldplay or similar mediocre trash that rightfully belongs in the dustbin of history.

I'm not at all sure what, if anything, from our era the people of the 26th century will latch onto and think is important. One thing to consider is that the world's population may well be significantly browner than it is now. Who knows if they will care even a rat's ass about the Caucasian "geniuses" of today. Maybe it will be Bob Marley's music that survives, while Dylan is largely forgotten.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-11 22:00 by tatters.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: February 11, 2017 22:18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-19 02:59 by eduardoacdc.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 11, 2017 23:53

There's a new guy in town
He's been dragging around
He's the figure of youth
And his eyes are so blue
And they're looking at you
So tell me the truth

Well, well he's got stories to tell
He bites off more than he chews
Well, well is he ringing your bell
My heart is breaking in two

And his skin is so fair
And it shines like his hair
As he stands so aloof
With an indolent air
And an insolent stare
He just shutters the truth

Well, well is he ringing your bell
My heart is breaking in two
Well, well he'll be rotting in hell
For playing the devil with you

It is already too late
No point shutting the gate
Have you already swallowed the bait
And you're gone

As he knocks you down cold
As you lose all control
To this slip of a youth
I see fire in his eyes
I see ice in his smile
And I'm learning the truth

Well, well he's got stories to tell
Of love that is long overdue
Well, well who is under his spell
Is paying the devil his due

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: February 12, 2017 00:11

I will be 50 in April,my music taste is very wide range,from the stones to punk to DJ music,hard rock,heavy metal,diso,

I have a 3 year old boy and I got him into the Stones,ACDC and Airbourne

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 12, 2017 01:14

Two weeks I will be 63 and I feel with you HonkeyTonkFlash although...........all my kids age between 17 and 36 love the songs from the 50, 60 and 70's............so I guess there is something different with that music compare to today's music............

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: February 12, 2017 01:32

I'll add to all this to say that as I approach 50 -- in two weeks -- I have learned to embrace older music that I pooh-poohed when I was a rock and roll teen. Jazz, old-time country, tin-pan alley stuff that my younger self would have scoffed at. Great music is timeless, and while we will most enjoy and feel emotional attachment to what we loved in our teen years, I find myself wanting to stretch backwards in time and consume more and more -- much less than I wish to move forward in time.

T@3

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 12, 2017 01:38

tatters
Nate

I'm not at all sure what, if anything, from our era the people of the 26th century will latch onto and think is important. One thing to consider is that the world's population may well be significantly browner than it is now. Who knows if they will care even a rat's ass about the Caucasian "geniuses" of today. Maybe it will be Bob Marley's music that survives, while Dylan is largely forgotten.

People still study Shakespeare and Dylan is just as important.

Nate

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2017 01:40

I've gone ta studying cave-paintings ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 12, 2017 08:41

Rockman
I've gone ta studying cave-paintings ....

hard rock

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 12, 2017 09:17

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 12, 2017 10:30

It's amazing to me how many kids appreciate our music. I would of thought it would be more like our era when we made fun of old people music. We have something to be proud of. Yahoo!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 12, 2017 16:10

TeaAtThree
Great music is timeless

Yep.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 12, 2017 16:18

To play the cynic (or realist rather): The Rolling Stones are done and soon are we. Time, space and causality I believe the philosophers called it. Or space-time to quote Einstein...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-12 16:54 by Stoneage.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 13, 2017 01:35

Hey, I`m 60. I don`t care about new stuff, unless it comes from veterans. -Hope to see The Stones in Oslo this summer.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 13, 2017 01:53

Rod said it best
If When getting old bothers anyone too much... consider the alternative... then smile and drink up smoking smileysmileys with beerdrinking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-13 02:00 by HankM.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 13, 2017 03:20

Speaking of old/ music/ young
anybody watching the Grammy Award Show?
Yeah, we are old.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 13, 2017 03:23

35love
Speaking of old/ music/ young
anybody watching the Grammy Award Show?
Yeah, we are old.

Not me, if there is such a thing as negative interest, less than zero, that would describe me watching the shammysgrinning smiley

I fired the shammys years and years ago, they are not about music as I know it.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 13, 2017 07:10

At 62, I still seek out new good music. While it all started with the Stones and the Beatles for me back in 1964, I still like discovering GOOD new music. Unfortunately some of the music I have discovered recently is about 20 years old, and a lot of these bands aren't around any longer.

While I still go to about a half dozen concerts a year, I cannot listen to classic rock radio as I find it incredibly boring because it's full of music I never want to hear again.

I think my son helps to keep me feeling young.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: February 13, 2017 10:41

tatters

I'm not at all sure what, if anything, from our era the people of the 26th century will latch onto and think is important.

...I am.
Banquet, Bleed, Sticky & Exile. For sure!
And maybe Dirty Work - who knows. grinning smiley

P.S.: good point about not knowing yet what will end up in oblivion, Tatters. Not just a matter of change in taste; also changes in demography, f.i.

Having said this: there won't be a 26th century.
There'll be a planet, allright; but no one left on it to count them days...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 13, 2017 17:47

BluzDude

While I still go to about a half dozen concerts a year, I cannot listen to classic rock radio as I find it incredibly boring because it's full of music I never want to hear again.

/quote]

That's an interesting take. I turn the channel if Aqualung or an equally overplayed song comes on, like Freebird (which I've never been able to stand). Maybe we're beginning to separate the wheat from the chaff of own musical past. As much as some might denigrate big band music, it's well worth discovering for it's own giants like Shaw and Ellington. Bix Beiderbecke was a real jolt to discover, a rare white genius of jazz on par with or better than the black players of his day.

There is good music out there right now. Cleopatra by the Lumineers, or A Team by Ed Sheeran are quite good, as long as you're not demanding hammer of the gods heavy metal. Now that we have considerable distance from the 60s, it was indeed a unique and spectacular period in pop music. There's nothing even remotely close in the range of music made over one decade. From Spector to Zeppelin.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 13, 2017 18:10

I don't know if you have the same problem in the states (or other countries) as we have. Most radio channels only play kids music (the latest computerized pop hits).
I usually listen to Public Service radio (I find commercial stations unbearable) and the only programs with pop and rock songs from the 60/70/80s are the sports programs (for some reason!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-13 21:59 by Stoneage.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: February 13, 2017 18:51

The problem for me is that music now just isn't distinct or "shocking" enough. While each generation should have its own music to identify with - and as oldies we should always be aware that "maybe it's just not for us" - I do think there is a real difference now.

It used to be the case that each generations used to be threatened or shocked by new music from their kids' generation - but now most oldies would probably criticise "young people's music" for being too bland and not shocking enough.

There is a line running from Jazz/Blues through R'n'R, Rock, Punk and Rap in which each generation really shook up the previous one. After rap (with a few exceptions - mostly retro in nature) music just seems to have been homogenised in a big commercial blender. BTW I'm not a particular fan of rap but in the beginning it had an authentic voice and the ability to provoke, so it had a real value.

I'm happy to be proven wrong and hear about newer music that could provoke or shock of course...

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 13, 2017 19:04

JumpinJimF
The problem for me is that music now just isn't distinct or "shocking" enough. While each generation should have its own music to identify with - and as oldies we should always be aware that "maybe it's just not for us" - I do think there is a real difference now.

It used to be the case that each generations used to be threatened or shocked by new music from their kids' generation - but now most oldies would probably criticise "young people's music" for being too bland and not shocking enough.

There is a line running from Jazz/Blues through R'n'R, Rock, Punk and Rap in which each generation really shook up the previous one. After rap (with a few exceptions - mostly retro in nature) music just seems to have been homogenised in a big commercial blender. BTW I'm not a particular fan of rap but in the beginning it had an authentic voice and the ability to provoke, so it had a real value.

I'm happy to be proven wrong and hear about newer music that could provoke or shock of course...

I totally agree with what you're saying. Go back a few years some might find someone like Marilyn Manson "shocking" but is it really so different from what people like Alice Cooper did in the seventies? I think we've reached a point where it's hard to find anything truly shocking; it's all been done. And for those of us who grew up in the rock age, speaking personally - I see a big difference in how my music really did bug and disgust my parents...and what I see my teenage kids liking doesn't bother me in the least. I'm not saying I like their music but it certainly does not shock me or make me feel like today's youth are going to hell in a handbasket. On the flipside, my parents really BELIEVED that the Rolling Stones were the embodiment of evil! Lol!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 13, 2017 19:10

Nate

Nate

Not only in 500 years, but also in 1 000 years, as this hillarious video shows:

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home