Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I hate stupid Music Citics
Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: September 5, 2005 12:13

Read this dumbass's review. he is a retard. he has no clue what he is talking about and i will post hs email address if you want to respond to his Bull.

The Rolling Stones: A Bigger Bang

Reviewed by Russell Baillie

Herald rating: * * *

Such was the high-tech security encryption surrounding my review copy of the Stones' new album, it would play in only one CD player in my possession - the one in the car stereo. So assessing its 16 tracks - their biggest offering since Exile on Main St - required much time to be spent on the road.

Yes, to get through A Bigger Bang it takes a lot of gas (gas gas).

Which is maybe apt as, for the past decade or two, the Stones have themed their money-sucking global tours around their new albums, even if they spend a large part of their time on stage ignoring the tracks from them.

In concert, introductory phrases "here's a song from the new album" - or alternatively "now Keith's going to sing one" - seemed cunningly designed to cause momentary upswings in business at the merchandise counters.

The advance word on this one was that it was a return to rock'n'roll form, doing away with the over-production and going-through-the-motions songwriting of albums that have been the Stones' general output since the early 80s.

And on first impressions, it does come on more raw, more energetic and ruder than its 80s and 90s predecessors.

The interplay of Keith Richards and Ron Wood's guitars sounds ragged and spontaneous rather than overdubbed to death.

And on songs such as the frenetic opener Rough Justice and Oh No Not You Again, Charlie Watts is in fine fettle, pounding away in his masterful frill-free style. Not bad for a 64-year-old who, between the Stones' last tour and this, had treatment for throat cancer.

But for much of A Bigger Bang while the spirit is the willing, the flesh of the songs is weak. Many, of course, come built to sturdy Stones blueprints - ones headed Brown Sugar, Under My Thumb and other Stones-raunchers seem the favoured options here.

At other times, they're sounding like they rediscovered the 80s - She Saw Me Coming sounds like it was the J.Geils Band's Angel is A Centrefold in a former life. And the lawyers for INXS, if not too busy stitching up some poor deluded fool to be the band's new singer, might love to hear the riffs to Look What the Cat Dragged In.

But what swings this into the mediocre is Jagger addressing the bulk of the songs to all the girls he's loved before.

Which might be interesting if they revealed something of the man and his stage in life rather than played up to his lothario image. His curiously affected vocals strip any sincerity out of the ballads Biggest Mistake, Laugh I Nearly Died and Streets of Love.

Richards gets in on the act too, crooning a sentimental valentine to his missus on This Place is Empty and croaking the terribly punsome Infamy ("You've got it infamy") as the finale.

Meanwhile, Jagger's "political" song Sweet Neo Con might be brave to take on the Bush Administration and the war on terror. But it undoes itself by the end of the first verse with some spectacularly stupid lyrics.

Elsewhere, though, there are moments when the phrase "recapturing old glories" can be applied.

The aforementioned Rough Justice and Oh No Not You Again, along with the brilliantly sneering It Won't Take Long, are the best rock'n'roll moments. Likewise, Rain Fall Down with its funky disco-rock and shades of MissYou is stupidly infectious and the blues number Back of My Hand is both gritty and gripping.

While the performances sound vital, the songs render much of A Bigger Bang a less dull thud than last time. Sure, some old glories get recaptured along the way. But any new ones remain out of reach.

L

Re: I hate stupid Music Citics
Date: September 5, 2005 12:18

Here is a link to the Heralds web page. You will need to cut and paste it

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2005 12:22

Russell Baillie should stay in his retirement village and write poetry for the rest of the old folks....!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: September 5, 2005 12:35

Yeah and he can listen to Coldplay singing about "important stuff"

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: September 5, 2005 12:40

who gives a @#$%& ?

you seem to forget he has a right to his opinion uz2bstoned!

if he doesn't like it what's the problem ?

Date: September 5, 2005 13:10

Because he is rubbishing the stones not reviewing the album. Is Mick going to change what he sings about now? after all these years. Shall we have an album full of songs about trees? Go listen to coldplay if you want that. I mean Sweet Neocon is a political song and that doesnt work.. He complains about Mick singing and ruining songs with talk of women. What songs are his favorites on the album? It won't Take Long, Oh No Not You Again and Rough justice. All about women!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 5, 2005 14:03

It makes me laugh that most zealots who will complain about bad reviews for the Stones will then turn around and use reviews when rubbishing other bands.

So the guy says some things about the Stones you don't like, lighten up. It doesn't matter.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 5, 2005 14:05

I have hardly agreed on music-critics. I trust my ears more!

C

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: September 5, 2005 14:52

I think you meant to say you hate critics who don't rave and gush over everything the Stones do.

I think his review is absolutely spot on.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 5, 2005 15:36

Yep. He gave high praise to "Rough Justice," "It Won't Be Long," "Oh No...," "Rain Fall Down," and the brilliant "Back of My Hand." The rest, he said, is forgettable. And he's right (though "Laugh" works pretty well to my ears).

Re-read Jon Parales' NY Times review or even Alan Light's "Rolling Stone" review--they're saying the same things, albeit in an upbeat and patronizing way...a few decent songs, mainly fodder for the Big Tour.

When bashing music critics, it's only fair to remember that they agree with you that "Let It Bleed" and "Beggar's Banquet" are two of the greatest albums ever made...

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 5, 2005 15:49

This is the most honest review so far. I gave it 5/10 he gave it 3/5. I love the Stones but this is not a 9/10 album, no way. Besides critics give them too high ratings these days. They wanna meet the guys.

Posted by: Mickschick ()
Date: September 5, 2005 16:37

OH MY GOD! I can't believe some of you guys! Have you actually LISTENED To this RECORD?? I mean Really LISTENED???
THIS is why we call The Rolling Stones the Worlds Greatest Rock N Roll Band!! They are AWESOME This record is AMAZING! I get Canadian Radio Stations from where I live (Buffalo,NY) and they play the new stuff all the time!

Last night I had the joy of hearing two more new cuts. Look what the Cat Dragged in, which I don't know what INXS has to do with the sound of that song. Maybe the Stones Lawyers oughtta look at INXS and see if they stole the material from UNDERCOVER of the Night, because that is what I'm hearing a bit of when I hear Look What the Cat Dragged in. So Shut UP Mr.Critic! Obvoiously this guy is a little young and doesn't know Rolling Stones material.

Just like half of the people on this board who only complain about The Stones and their work, and their hair and their drugs and sh#t, the list goes on, and on and I can't stand it!

Now, what did that Guy say about about new cuts and Keith?

("In concert, introductory phrases "here's a song from the new album" - or alternatively "now Keith's going to sing one" - seemed cunningly designed to cause momentary upswings in business at the merchandise counters.")

How dare he!?! I haven't EVER left when Keith Sang! Nor has anyone around my general area! And when they play a new song Everyone Sticks around for that too! I've been to over twenty some odd shows since 1975 and you know what, as I've said over and over, they only get better with time. And this album PROVES that.
What was the best show I've ever been to? Its going to be the next one! Cause again, they only get better everytime! Oh I get so frustrated at people who critisize things that they don't know sh*t about! I think Mr.Critic should find a new job. OR at least write about what he knows!
Well, I will be in Colombus Ohio, in a few weeks to see my Next Great Rolling Stones Show! And I can't wait!!!!
I feel so fortunate to have been born at the same time the Stones Came out! Imagine what it would be like without them???? I know I couldn't!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 5, 2005 16:48

Hey everyone Mickschick hit the nail right on the head here. GREAT POST!! She knows what's she's talking about. Not like half of the critics in here. Everytime she posts she is right on. She take's a critical view combined with admerasion and respect. You can't get anymore honest than that if your a fan. I personally don't like everything thay've done, but i don't like everything I've done in my life, but i don't pound myself to the ground about it till i bleed. Geez guys. This band does there best. What the hell else do you want. An oldies show? A show with nothing but the new album? A show with 20 b sides? THINK!! THINK!! Mickschick. Whoever you are you rock big time. You have my respect big time. More of the so called men out there should look to you as a Stones spokeman. You get ass! By the way do you like gwapes?

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: September 5, 2005 17:31

Now we see exactly why some people get paid for their reviews and most don't.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: September 5, 2005 17:54

Mickschick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OH MY GOD! I can't believe some of you guys! Have
> you actually LISTENED To this RECORD?? I mean
> Really LISTENED???
> THIS is why we call The Rolling Stones the Worlds
> Greatest Rock N Roll Band!! They are AWESOME This
> record is AMAZING! I get Canadian Radio Stations
> from where I live (Buffalo,NY) and they play the
> new stuff all the time!
>
> Last night I had the joy of hearing two more new
> cuts. Look what the Cat Dragged in, which I don't
> know what INXS has to do with the sound of that
> song. Maybe the Stones Lawyers oughtta look at
> INXS and see if they stole the material from
> UNDERCOVER of the Night, because that is what I'm
> hearing a bit of when I hear Look What the Cat
> Dragged in. So Shut UP Mr.Critic! Obvoiously this
> guy is a little young and doesn't know Rolling
> Stones material.
>
> Just like half of the people on this board who
> only complain about The Stones and their work, and
> their hair and their drugs and sh#t, the list goes
> on, and on and I can't stand it!
>
> Now, what did that Guy say about about new cuts
> and Keith?
>
> ("In concert, introductory phrases "here's a song
> from the new album" - or alternatively "now
> Keith's going to sing one" - seemed cunningly
> designed to cause momentary upswings in business
> at the merchandise counters.")
>
> How dare he!?! I haven't EVER left when Keith
> Sang! Nor has anyone around my general area! And
> when they play a new song Everyone Sticks around
> for that too! I've been to over twenty some odd
> shows since 1975 and you know what, as I've said
> over and over, they only get better with time. And
> this album PROVES that.
> What was the best show I've ever been to? Its
> going to be the next one! Cause again, they only
> get better everytime! Oh I get so frustrated at
> people who critisize things that they don't know
> sh*t about! I think Mr.Critic should find a new
> job. OR at least write about what he knows!
> Well, I will be in Colombus Ohio, in a few weeks
> to see my Next Great Rolling Stones Show! And I
> can't wait!!!!
> I feel so fortunate to have been born at the same
> time the Stones Came out! Imagine what it would be
> like without them???? I know I couldn't!

THANKS!!!

FINALLY SOMEONE IN THIS "FAN" SITE THAT HAS THE SAME OPINION!!!

ABB IS FANTASTIC!!!!

IT WEEL SURPASSED MY BEST TOUGHTS ABOUT THE ALBUM!

AND SWEET NEOCOM IS INDEED A GREAT TRACK AS WELL ALL THE OTHERS!!

THE "DIE HARD" FANS SHOULD NOT HAVE STOPPED IN 1972...!

Posted by: fxconway ()
Date: September 5, 2005 20:16

Brilliant album!

Date: September 5, 2005 20:41

Love live Mickschick and marquees. To very smart people!!

Date: September 5, 2005 20:42

i mean long live

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: September 5, 2005 21:11

Mickschick!

Sorry, but thats a bad argument: the guy is young, he doesn't know stones-material. So what? He was not told to write about the stones-history, a biography. He was told to review this album. The best thing to do it is to forget about all the other albums, and focus on 2005, the music that you hear, so maybe you find out how relevant it is. The reviewer means, this isn't. He's right.

But we are stones-fans, we love it. That's important, nothing else (for us).

Regards

Gaigai

Posted by: gut ()
Date: September 5, 2005 22:20

I would never base any buying any album on the review of these worthless critics.

They're like inspectors....they have to bitch about something because that is how they keep their jobs.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Date: September 5, 2005 23:04

This guy didn't listen properly and jumps to the usual conclusions. And yes that is what music critics do. He said the album was long, I doubt he listened more than once.

>.....Many, of course, come built to sturdy Stones blueprints - ones headed Brown Sugar, Under My Thumb

This album is the first album in ages which doesn't have the Brown Sugar/Start Me Up chords.

>.....She Saw Me Coming sounds like it was the J.Geils Band's Angel is A Centrefold

Um not really

>....And the lawyers for INXS, if not too busy stitching up some poor deluded fool to be the band's new singer, might love to hear the riffs to Look What the Cat Dragged In.

Correct but for F*^%*ks sake who inspired bands like INXS. They were playing START ME UP on that INXS show the other week. Devil Inside is the Satisfaction riff just with a extra note. I Doubt INXS will be contacting the lawyers. They are probaby chuffed.

>....Which might be interesting if they revealed something of the man and his stage in life rather than played up to his lothario image. His curiously affected vocals strip any sincerity out of the ballads Biggest Mistake, Laugh I Nearly Died and Streets of Love.

LIND is him singing about his stage in life. You didn't listen! Biggest Mistake...Are you not allowed to make mistakes later in life? SOL I agree on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1243
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home