Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Deke Leonard
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 1, 2017 23:11

Singer/guitarist/author/raconteur Deke Leonard of Welsh rockers Man has passed away.

Re: OT: RIP Deke Leonard
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 2, 2017 05:40

He was guest at my first ever show - The Patti Pavillion, Swansea, 1972 - although I was only 12 so didn't really appreciate what was happening.............bought the album though and still have it in 10" double vinyl..........(Brilliant album especially 'Help Yourself' with Deke Leonard and BJ Cole on sides 3 & 4........

My first proper show was also Man, in Folkestone Kent 1974. Had kamikaze and Iceberg - quite liked those too - my sister didn't like him though as he allegedly tried to take liberties, as he was 'rock star'...................eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-02 05:47 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 2, 2017 18:01

Saw Man many times in the 70s and went to both their epic Maximum Darkness gigs at the Roundhouse in summer 75.

I worked on a local paper in north London with one time Man bassist Ken Whaley who was also a founder member of Help Yourself, and when Ken died a few years ago, Deke came to the funeral and we talked about his career.

Man created a Welsh version of the West Coast Sound, and were influenced by bands like Quicksilver Messenger Service and Moby Grape.

He was a great guitarist and great raconteur, having written about three books about his life and the music biz. RIP Deke.

This song was one of their stand outs -

Date: February 2, 2017 19:17

Silver Dagger
Saw Man many times in the 70s and went to both their epic Maximum Darkness gigs at the Roundhouse in summer 75.

I worked on a local paper in north London with one time Man bassist Ken Whaley who was also a founder member of Help Yourself, and when Ken died a few years ago, Deke came to the funeral and we talked about his career.

Man created a Welsh version of the West Coast Sound, and were influenced by bands like Quicksilver Messenger Service and Moby Grape.

He was a great guitarist and great raconteur, having written about three books about his life and the music biz. RIP Deke.

This song was one of their stand outs -

I really got into them with 'Rhinos, winos & Lunatics esp California Silks & Satins.........

Clint (Clive John) was a welcome regular at the Tenby pub in Swansea, he brought a pretty decent album in '75 (CD 2004) ......... 'You Always Know Where You Stand With a Buzzard' ..........he died in 2011

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-02 19:19 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: February 5, 2017 23:41

I was really sorry to hear this. I was a big fan of the Man band in the 70s.

I remember once going to see them at Wolverhampton Civic Hall and took my album sleeves with me. I was hanging around on the balcony before the gig hoping to find someone to sneak me backstage and I became aware of someone standing beside me - it was Terry Williams. He signed my sleeves and invited me backstage to meet the band. I spent a wonderful half hour talking to them all about the tour - the Rhinos tour as I recall. I was a member of their fan club at the time and had just received some group photos which they also signed but they hadn't seen them before and fell about laughing at each others hairstyles, facial expressions like a bunch of school kids.

I also saw the band years later at the Robin2 club in Bilston. Mickey Jones was obviously ill and Deke showing signs of his stroke and they hardly spoke on stage but their playing was as great as ever.

Mickey passed a few years ago of course so hopefully they're making great music together again.

I didn't know that Ken Whalley had also passed, very sad too. I assume (and hope) that Terry and Martin Ace and still with us but what of the other fringe players - Clive John, Will Youatt, Malcolm Morley, anyone got any news?

RIP Deke, a prince amongst men.

Date: February 6, 2017 00:18

Elmo
I was really sorry to hear this. I was a big fan of the Man band in the 70s.

I remember once going to see them at Wolverhampton Civic Hall and took my album sleeves with me. I was hanging around on the balcony before the gig hoping to find someone to sneak me backstage and I became aware of someone standing beside me - it was Terry Williams. He signed my sleeves and invited me backstage to meet the band. I spent a wonderful half hour talking to them all about the tour - the Rhinos tour as I recall. I was a member of their fan club at the time and had just received some group photos which they also signed but they hadn't seen them before and fell about laughing at each others hairstyles, facial expressions like a bunch of school kids.

I also saw the band years later at the Robin2 club in Bilston. Mickey Jones was obviously ill and Deke showing signs of his stroke and they hardly spoke on stage but their playing was as great as ever.

Mickey passed a few years ago of course so hopefully they're making great music together again.

I didn't know that Ken Whalley had also passed, very sad too. I assume (and hope) that Terry and Martin Ace and still with us but what of the other fringe players - Clive John, Will Youatt, Malcolm Morley, anyone got any news?

RIP Deke, a prince amongst men.

Clive John (Clint) died of Emphysema in Swansea in 2011 ........

[www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk]

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: February 9, 2017 15:55

Sorry to hear Clint Space has gone too. I was playing 'Overflow ' from his Buzzard album only a couple of days ago.

RIP Clint

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 10, 2017 00:36

I remember one time when I was young and thumbing through the bargain record bin at a local record store in Buffalo, I came across this marked down live album with a picture of a rock band with long hair playing on stage under the lights. I thought it must be a cool record because they looked the part. (it had a Deep Purple Made In Japan look to it) so I bought it. It was a Man record, I remember going home to show my older brother, I said "check this out." He laughed and asked me why I bought that junk, and I assured him that it had to be cool, just look at the cover. I think I played it once and never again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home