Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Pete Overend Watts of Mott The Hoople - RIP
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 22, 2017 22:04

The reaper takes another musician - RIP Pete Overend Watts who died today. Buffin will meet you at the gates. Safe journey.

Re: Pete Overend Watts of Mott The Hoople - RIP
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 22, 2017 23:25

... and Overend's just a Rock 'n' Roll star sad smiley
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 22, 2017 23:47

RIP Pete

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 23, 2017 00:04

“Oh dear.

My extremely eccentric, lovely mate – Peter Overend Watts – has left the building.

Devastated.”

– Ian Hunter

[ianhunter.com]

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: January 23, 2017 00:59

Sad to hear. Takes me back to the Top Of The Pops days.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 23, 2017 02:34

sad smiley

[www.youtube.com]
the golden age of rock and roll '74

12- String Guitar, Bass Guitar, Guitar, Vocal, Producer: Overend Watts
Background Vocal, Drums, Producer: Dale Griffin

[www.youtube.com]
Written by Overend Watts

"LTW is particularly sad to report the death of the great Overend Watts – the great bass player from Mott The Hoople and friend of the site.
Overend was famous for his spray painted silver hair and for pioneering the red stack healed boots influencing the New York Dolls. He was the band’s natural rock n roll star with a coolness about him.
He was the person who made the link with David Bowie when he applied for the bass guitar role in Bowie’s band as Mott were falling apart- a shocked Bowie gave the band All The Young Dudes instead and the rest is history…
we met him after the Mott first series of comeback gigs. It was back stage after the show and he was standing on his own and we struck up a conversation and admired his hangman nooses around his neck and arms and his shoes which had I’m a @#$%& written on them…the coolest thing was that he said he was a fan of our band the Membranes and we kept in touch on email for the past few years.
His emails were great – funny and eccentric like the great man himself and on their final series of comeback gigs his stage presence was as lunatic and brilliant as ever witha one string bass on one song and some great playing in others.
One of the great rock stars of the seventies – he also wrote one of Motts great songs Born Late 58 and we are gutted by his death."
[louderthanwar.com]

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 23, 2017 05:18

Buffin gets early Alzheimer's and died young last January. The immaculately tasteful Mick Ralphs has a stroke last fall. And now Overend Watts, "just a rock n roll star," passes away. It's a rough time to be a Mott the Hoople aficionado. Time to reach for Brain Capers, the great underappreciated Mott the Hoople album.

On the bright side, Ian Hunter chugs along at age 77 with his cracking Rant Band. See them when they come your way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-23 05:50 by ab.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 23, 2017 09:32

Well said, ab.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 23, 2017 14:07

Apparently he was ill for years, but didn't want the fans to know. Grateful to have seen him in Glasgow on the last Mott The Hoople reunion. His book - "The Man Who Hated Walking" - gives insight into his personality and sense of humour (although bugger all about music) and I felt like I knew (and liked) him by the end. Highly recommended.

A sad farewell to Pete, one of rock 'n' roll's true characters. Will raise a glass to him tonight. Also to Mott The Hoople - no more reunion gigs now, for sure.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 23, 2017 15:35

This was posted by former Mott The Hoople and British Lions keyboard player Morgan Fisher on his Facebook page last night:

My dear, darling, crazy friend Peter Overend Watts passed on today. I can't speak, am numb. All I can do is share one of the last emails he sent me, on December 6th 2016. Unedited, unexplained. His bravery, honesty, generosity, open heart and still-devastatingly witty humour during his last days utterly blow me away. He left this world as a total hero, a samurai. Love you, Pete.

Oh Yay Clifford T. Whoard!
Thanks fur your lovely message me old son. Looks like the news is finally out. But PLEASE KEEP IT UNDER YER HAT. IF POSS.
Managed to keep it quiet for more than 6 years though - so that was pretty good.If you remember I wasn't great at Hammo in 2009 - felt very grimeworthy then !
I just dread being besieged by Mott fans - all PRAYING for me, sending cards or gifts -
or worse still, trying to visit me ! God forbid - even tho I don't believe in him - even NOW.
Can't deal with all that crap - even tho I know they mean well. My sis got a message from Joe Elliot yesterday which made me think the game might be up. I know Jean and Buff were overwhelmed and were upset by it all after going public.
I think it's about 5 years too late for 2nd opinions now son. I've had every type of treatment, surgery etc, - it was far worse than the illness itself ! I've had enough now and am fine about going - it might be plezz up there (or down there)- an adventure, whichever way yer look at it. I'm not in any great pain, just giddy tired and weak. To be honest I'm more worried about Ralphur than myself right now. I really hope he recovers so he can play again. I love the guy so much - just as I love you son. I hated having to tell you that only the original band were doing the reunions - I know it must have hurt you a lot. One of me worst jobs ever. I wish we could've done it but it wasn't financially possble + too difficult to co-ordinate. with everyone concerned.
The Hospice is great - very much like Carry On Nurse - so I 'aint complainin' ! Another 3 decent years of travel would've been good but it's not to be.after all - but I did a hell of a lot anyway.
Glad you shifted the skin cancer - and I hope you have a long, healthy and happy life.
I can hardly type so I may not be able to keep in touch, but i just wanted you to know that you are still the best musician I ever had the privilege to work with and a brill bloke to boot...... - but David Reid - guitarist from The Contrast 'int far behind you !!! I was gonna bloody join them on electric 6 & 12 string till this bloody disease returnrd. What a bummer that was.
Anyway, must sleep now. I refuse to say "Goodbye" [ so I;ll just say ........
Take care Morgo - Love you son - Olde Gruff Pete xxx
PS OH - PIES OF GRATE MEAT !! We had some great times didn' t we !
[www.facebook.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 23, 2017 16:09

Deltics
This was posted by former Mott The Hoople and British Lions keyboard player Morgan Fisher on his Facebook page last night:

My dear, darling, crazy friend Peter Overend Watts passed on today. I can't speak, am numb. All I can do is share one of the last emails he sent me, on December 6th 2016. Unedited, unexplained. His bravery, honesty, generosity, open heart and still-devastatingly witty humour during his last days utterly blow me away. He left this world as a total hero, a samurai. Love you, Pete.

Oh Yay Clifford T. Whoard!
Thanks fur your lovely message me old son. Looks like the news is finally out. But PLEASE KEEP IT UNDER YER HAT. IF POSS.
Managed to keep it quiet for more than 6 years though - so that was pretty good.If you remember I wasn't great at Hammo in 2009 - felt very grimeworthy then !
I just dread being besieged by Mott fans - all PRAYING for me, sending cards or gifts -
or worse still, trying to visit me ! God forbid - even tho I don't believe in him - even NOW.
Can't deal with all that crap - even tho I know they mean well. My sis got a message from Joe Elliot yesterday which made me think the game might be up. I know Jean and Buff were overwhelmed and were upset by it all after going public.
I think it's about 5 years too late for 2nd opinions now son. I've had every type of treatment, surgery etc, - it was far worse than the illness itself ! I've had enough now and am fine about going - it might be plezz up there (or down there)- an adventure, whichever way yer look at it. I'm not in any great pain, just giddy tired and weak. To be honest I'm more worried about Ralphur than myself right now. I really hope he recovers so he can play again. I love the guy so much - just as I love you son. I hated having to tell you that only the original band were doing the reunions - I know it must have hurt you a lot. One of me worst jobs ever. I wish we could've done it but it wasn't financially possble + too difficult to co-ordinate. with everyone concerned.
The Hospice is great - very much like Carry On Nurse - so I 'aint complainin' ! Another 3 decent years of travel would've been good but it's not to be.after all - but I did a hell of a lot anyway.
Glad you shifted the skin cancer - and I hope you have a long, healthy and happy life.
I can hardly type so I may not be able to keep in touch, but i just wanted you to know that you are still the best musician I ever had the privilege to work with and a brill bloke to boot...... - but David Reid - guitarist from The Contrast 'int far behind you !!! I was gonna bloody join them on electric 6 & 12 string till this bloody disease returnrd. What a bummer that was.
Anyway, must sleep now. I refuse to say "Goodbye" [ so I;ll just say ........
Take care Morgo - Love you son - Olde Gruff Pete xxx
PS OH - PIES OF GRATE MEAT !! We had some great times didn' t we !
[www.facebook.com]

Hard to read that without shedding a few tears. Thanks for posting Delts.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 23, 2017 17:30

Very sad. Always had one of the best names in rock and roll! Overend Watts... what a legend! You'll be missed and always remembered buddy.

Date: January 23, 2017 20:42

Ok I'm done now. These years are really getting hard on us.
What a beautiful note he wrote.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 23, 2017 21:13

RollingFreak
Very sad. Always had one of the best names in rock and roll! Overend Watts... what a legend! You'll be missed and always remembered buddy.

One of the best names in rock n roll, and it was his real middle name! It was not something that Guy Stevens pinned on him.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 23, 2017 21:31

Now that's a RocknRoll Star, RIP Overend

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 23, 2017 23:08

God, what an amazing note. What a CLASS act. Even in his last days he's apologizing and worried more about Ralph than himself. So selfless. Sad the reunion was just original, although obviously it makes sense. As fun as Ariel Bender and Fisher were, there was only one real Mott The Hoople. I'm sure Morgan understands when Pete says he would have done it if he could. Sad if he really was hurting during their 09 reunion (didn't they also reunite in like 12?) but glad they did play again. Those seemed like fun shows. And probably smart to not let the word out, cause it does seem like more of a drag than a relief.

Rest in peace Overend.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 23, 2017 23:43

Love and light to him, and thanks and praises

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 24, 2017 02:04

Thanks, Deltics & Morgan.

I've reaffirmed a key aspect of Samurai today.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home