Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Bands originating in the 60's and still performing live
Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: January 22, 2017 19:00

keefriff99
Long John Stoner
Not going to shoot you, but that's not quite true. Terry Kath didn't opt out, he died playing Russian Roulette.
Wow...just read the back story on that...horrifying.

Pretty gruesome, eh? I can't imagine what the one witness, the roadie, must have gone through after that.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 22, 2017 19:08

Long John Stoner
keefriff99
Long John Stoner
Not going to shoot you, but that's not quite true. Terry Kath didn't opt out, he died playing Russian Roulette.

Pretty gruesome, eh? I can't imagine what the one witness, the roadie, must have gone through after that.

He didnt die by Russian Roulette. Thats a myth. It was a semi automatic gun. The clip was removed but there was a round in the chamber that he didn't know of. Put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger as a joke. Accounts is that he was intoxicated at the time.
you cant play Russian Roulette with a semi auto. Only a revolver which it wasn't.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 22, 2017 19:23

Cliff Richard - from the 50'ies
The Shadows - from the 50'ies

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: January 22, 2017 19:32

DaveG
Ten Years After still technically has 3 of the 4 originals.

Technically - it's only two of the original line up: Rick Lee and Chick Churchill, with Leo Lyons having left a few years ago (and with Alvin Lee having left forever)...

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: January 22, 2017 19:36

Two legends from Eastern Europe: Skaldowie (Poland, started in 1965) and Omega (Hungary, started in 1962), still going strong and still in their classic line-ups.

BTW - has anybody mentioned Focus (1969, with Thijs van Leer still at the helm)?

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: January 22, 2017 19:40

i did see alice cooper and status quo last year

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 22, 2017 19:40

Long John Stoner
HonkeyTonkFlash
Mongoose
jlowe
MOONGOOSE:
In view of your earlier comments do you feel Fleetwood Mac should be in the list?
Drummer and bass player only remain.
Having said that the group's name is an amalgam of their surnames which may count for something!

Good point, jlowe, which I would say fits the "exception" rule.

Bottom line, though, I take issue with bands like Blood, Sweat & Tears (currently touring with American Idol singer Bo Bice), with not even ONE original member in the lineup, going out and billing themselves that way.

What do you think?

If there's no original members, it ain't Blood, Sweat and Tears. Sadly, they probably sell a lot of tickets to people who don't know or care. Is Mick Jones' Foreigner really Foreigner? He's the only one left. Not that they're from the 60's..Not that I care about them...

Not 60's, but Lynyrd Skynyrd. Most people would think of Gary Rossington as being the last original member but guitarist Rickey Medlocke drummed for them in the very early 70's before they hit it big. They had to contractually work it out with Ronnie Van Zant's widow once only three original members were left (not counting Medlocke) and when Billy Powell died, they almost were forced to change the name by Van Zant's widow because Rossington was the last one. There have occasions when no original members have performed as Skynyrd when Rossington has had health issues.

This band is just cursed, in my opinion. Even replacement members have died. Ean Evans, who replaced the late Leon Wilkeson, died of lung cancer in 2009. Hughie Thomasson, who replaced original member Ed King who had come back to replace Mike Estes who replaced Randall Hall who took Allen Collins' slot once they reformed, died in his sleep of a heart attack. Collins, who survived the plane crash, eventually passed due to complications from injuries suffered in a car crash. Original drummer Bob Burns died in a single car crash in 2015. He left them in the 70's. Rossington himself had a bad car crash that spawned the song That Smell. Ed King left the band twice, the second time after having heart issues. He wasn't allowed back after recovering, but eventually had a transplant.

If there is ever a last Skynyrd compilation, it should be called Car Wrecks, Heart Attacks and Plane Crashes, featuring Cancer, the death of Lynyrd Skynyrd. eye popping smiley

I saw them about 10 years ago and they were still very good, but always felt once Leon Wilkeson died, the group was over and certainly after Billy Powell died, the group was really over and if Gary Rossington was to leave, the group will be positively most definitely over...

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 22, 2017 19:43

MononoM
i did see alice cooper and status quo last year

I don't see how alice cooper can get billed as alice cooper since the other 4 members leftsmoking smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 22, 2017 19:47

More Hot Rocks
Long John Stoner
keefriff99
Long John Stoner

He didnt die by Russian Roulette. Thats a myth. It was a semi automatic gun. The clip was removed but there was a round in the chamber that he didn't know of. Put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger as a joke. Accounts is that he was intoxicated at the time.
you cant play Russian Roulette with a semi auto. Only a revolver which it wasn't.
True. From the description on Wiki, he wasn't playing Russian Roulette, but he was dry firing a revolver to his head, then tried a semi with the clip out, not checking the chamber first.

Either way, it's disturbing.

Date: January 22, 2017 20:53

More Hot Rocks
Long John Stoner
keefriff99
Long John Stoner

Seriously? You're going to quibble over the type of gun?

Since only two people were there when it happened and one isn't talking, we'll never really know. The prevailing story is he died playing Russian Roulette.

But here's the thing- using the phrase "Russian Roulette" doesn't always mean there was more than one person spinning the chamber and then pulling the trigger with the gun at their head. It's also often just another way to say he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger with no intent to actually shoot himself.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 23, 2017 00:40

hickorywind
Fairport Convention

Only one original member.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 23, 2017 03:26

Long John Stoner
More Hot Rocks
Long John Stoner
keefriff99
Long John Stoner

Since only two people were there when it happened and one isn't talking, we'll never really know. The prevailing story is he died playing Russian Roulette.

But here's the thing- using the phrase "Russian Roulette" doesn't always mean there was more than one person spinning the chamber and then pulling the trigger with the gun at their head. It's also often just another way to say he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger with no intent to actually shoot himself.

He's just stating a fact. He didn't die playing Russian roulette. What the problem with you? There is no spinning chamber to spin on a semi auto. What part dont you get?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-23 03:28 by Cooltoplady.

Date: January 23, 2017 15:17

Cooltoplady
Long John Stoner
More Hot Rocks
Long John Stoner
keefriff99
Long John Stoner

He's just stating a fact. He didn't die playing Russian roulette. What the problem with you? There is no spinning chamber to spin on a semi auto. What part dont you get?

Re-read my response. I could ask you the same thing.

Date: January 23, 2017 18:36

Long John Stoner
Cooltoplady
Long John Stoner
More Hot Rocks
Long John Stoner
keefriff99
Long John Stoner

What are you talking about. I give up.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 23, 2017 20:28

More Hot Rocks
Long John Stoner
Cooltoplady
Long John Stoner
More Hot Rocks
Long John Stoner
keefriff99
Long John Stoner

We're quibbling over details here. The tragic fact is that somehow the guy shot and killed himself. Can't it be left at that?

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 23, 2017 20:51

HonkeyTonkFlash
More Hot Rocks
Long John Stoner
Cooltoplady
Long John Stoner
More Hot Rocks
Long John Stoner
keefriff99
Long John Stoner

We're quibbling over details here. The tragic fact is that somehow the guy shot and killed himself. Can't it be left at that?

Yes tragic and sad, but the 'Russian Roulette' myth has been a point of contention amongst many since the tragedy happened.
The fact is he was drunk, high, and very careless. As his friends, family members, and fellow band members have said,
there's no way it was intentional, and I'd to put more weight in what they say than someone who didn't know him.
Saying it was Russian Roulette is a myth and completely wrong. As mentioned, there is no spinning chamber in a semi-automatic.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 23, 2017 21:03

Hairball
Yes tragic and sad, but the 'Russian Roulette' myth has been a point of contention amongst many since the tragedy happened.
The fact is he was drunk, high, and very careless. As his friends, family members, and fellow band members have said,
there's no way it was intentional, and I'd to put more weight in what they say than someone who didn't know him.
Saying it was Russian Roulette is a myth and completely wrong. As mentioned, there is no spinning chamber in a semi-automatic.

Well said. Today, sadly, is the anniversary of his death in 1978...and January 31st would have been his 71st birthday.

Who knows where the time goes.

Date: January 24, 2017 03:49

But here's the thing- using the phrase "Russian Roulette" doesn't always mean spinning the chamber and then pulling the trigger with the gun at their head. It's also often just another way to say he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger with no intent to actually shoot himself.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 24, 2017 16:06

Long John Stoner
But here's the thing- using the phrase "Russian Roulette" doesn't always mean spinning the chamber and then pulling the trigger with the gun at their head. It's also often just another way to say he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger with no intent to actually shoot himself.

The term always mean spinning the chamber. Thats what russian roulette is. Give it up you're wrong.

Date: January 24, 2017 16:07

Cooltoplady
Long John Stoner

The term always mean spinning the chamber. That's what russian roulette is. Give it up you're wrong.

Cooltoplady. Don't waste your time with this guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-24 22:32 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 24, 2017 16:16

Hawkwind - still blowing minds and about to play the Roundhouse in London (May 26).

Dave Brock is still rocking at the ripe old age of 75.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 24, 2017 23:38

Of all the bands mentioned here, how many actually have the original or 'classic' lineup intact?

- ZZTop

- The Pretty Things (if you consider Dick Taylor and Phil May to be the core)

..or bands that have the potential to reunite the original/classic lineup:

- Rolling Stones (although Bill said "never again" after 2012)

- The Moody Blues (all still alive and talking of a 50th reunion this year)

Should also mention Hot Tuna (ex-Jefferson Airplane guys) have been around as a duo since 1969 and still active.

All members of 60's Berkeley band Country Joe & The Fish are still alive as well and play in various factions..

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 25, 2017 00:01

The Moodies: Of the very original line up I think only John Lodge is a regular member.
I would be very surprised if Denny Laine re-joins, but if the money is good enough??

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 20, 2017 05:30

Rock legends The Easybeats set to enjoy huge success with mini-series and tour

Kathy McCabe
News Corp Australia Network

Sixties rock legends The Easybeats are heading for an INXS-style revival this year with a miniseries, album reissues and now a national theatre tour.

A supergroup of respected Australian rockers will honour their music with the Easyfever tour in December which is expected to follow the ABC miniseries about the Friday On My Mind chart-toppers.

Chris Cheney, Phil Jamieson, Kram, Tex Perkins and Tim Rogers will reprise the music of The Easybeats and solo repertoire of its frontman Stevie Wright as interest in the band is revitalised by the miniseries to air later this year.

The Easybeats were the first Australian rock band to crack it overseas. Picture: Supplied.Source:News Corp Australia

For a few of the rockers, this is the second time they have indulged their love of the band, who were one of the first successful rock exports from Australia in the 1960s, gaining worldwide fame with Friday On My Mind.

The Living End’s Cheney, Spiderbait’s Kram and Grinspoon’s Jamieson were all members of the Wrights, a one-off supergroup formed by Jet frontman Nic Cester in 2004.

They performed Stevie Wright’s unforgettable signature trilogy Evie at the WaveAid concert at the Sydney Cricket Ground to support victims of the Boxing Day tsunami. The recording of Evie I, II and III was helmed by Easybeats co-founder Harry Vanda.

“The Australian rock’n’roll landscape would look very different without the contribution of the Easybeats,” Cheney said.

“The energy and electricity of those old black and white TV performances have always been a source of inspiration to me. I get goosebumps thinking about it.

“They are one of the most influential Aussie bands ever and rightly bloody so. The combined musical brilliance of that band and the songwriting skills means their tunes are absolutely timeless.’’

The Wrights supergroup featured Pat Bourke, Davey Lane, Bernard Fanning, Kram, Nic Cester, Chris Cheney and (front) Phil Jamieson. Picture: Supplied.Source:News Corp Australia

Rogers performed Wright’s hit Hard Road at the singer’s funeral in Sydney in January last year.

“The Easybeats have loomed so large in my imagination since I first heard them at the age of eight, their aggression and finesse, the sexuality and cheek has been a template for any band I’ve been involved in,” Rogers said.

“When the band’s music became more personal a few years back, those songs I will defend ‘til death.”

Tim Rogers honoured Wright at his funeral last year. Picture: Bob Barker.Source:News Corp Australia

Formed by a bunch of immigrants at the Villawood Migrant Hostel in 1964, the band would be hailed as the antipodean Beatles.

They enjoyed a string of hits that remain beloved in the Australian songbook including She’s So Fine, Wedding Ring, Sorry and Good Times, which would become a hit again in 1987 when it was covered by INXS and Jimmy Barnes.

After the band split in 1969, Vanda and bandmate George Young — older brother of AC/DC’s Angus and Malcolm — would become Australia’s most successful songwriting and production duo.

They became the in-house hitmakers at Albert Productions, writing and producing Stevie Wright’s solo works as well as steering John Paul Young’s career with unforgettable songs including Yesterday’s Hero and Love Is In the Air.

ABC is expected to screen The Easybeats later this year. A cats of relative unknowns have been tapped to play the band and they all bear an uncanny resemblance to the band members once suited in their ‘60s gear and moptop wigs.

The ABC have finished filming the Easybeats miniseries which will air later this year. Picture: John GraingerSource:News Corp Australia

Christian Byers plays singer Stevie Wright, with Will Rush as George Young, Mackenzie Fearnley as Harry Vanda, Du Toit Bredenkamp as Dick Diamonde and Arthur McBain as Snowy Fleet.

The Code and Rush star Ashley Zukerman will play Ted Albert, the legendary music industry executive who signed the band and founded Albert Records, later instrumental in launching AC/DC.

Coinciding with the miniseries will be a raft of music releases including a cast recording and reissues of The Easybeats and Stevie Wright records.

INXS still in the charts three years after miniseries. Picture: Supplied.Source:News Corp Australia

The Very Best Of INXS remains in the ARIA top 50 more than three years after the Never Tear Us Apart miniseries aired on Seven.

It is believed the band are finalising plans to commemorate their 40th anniversary this year with a documentary feature film and Broadway musical already in development.

Easyfever kicks off with a warm-up concert at Anita’s Theatre in Thirroul on December 14 and then hits the Enmore Theatre on December 15, Eaton’s Hill Hotel, Brisbane, December 16 and The Forum, Melbourne on December 19.

[www.news.com.au]

Date: July 20, 2017 10:45

There's actually a good bit of them around, but it is in name only. Hardly anyone with actual line-up.
Take Allman Bros or Skynard - they have nothing to do with the former band.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 20, 2017 12:12

Jethro Tull

Date: July 20, 2017 13:44

Golden Earring, one of my favourite Dutch rock bands.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: July 20, 2017 14:16

The Searchers with original 60s members John McNally (guitar & vocals) and Frank Allen (bass & vocals).

Canned Heat with original 60s members Larry "The Mole" Taylor (bass & vocals), Adolfo "Fito" de la Parra (drums, vocals) and Harvey "The Snake" Mandel (guitar) although I believe Harvey Mandel has sat out the last couple tours due to health concerns.

Date: July 20, 2017 19:17

Second oldest band in the world: OMEGA

Founded in September 1962 & currently on the road with their 55th anniversary tour.

Ötven öt eves - jókívánság

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: July 20, 2017 19:31

MACCA 3hours plus everytime I've seen him...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home