Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Bands originating in the 60's and still performing live
Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: January 21, 2017 12:22

Fairport Convention

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 21, 2017 15:44

Jeff Lynne

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 21, 2017 15:48

Bands originating in the *** 50's *** and still performing live

Chuck Berry
Buddy Guy

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 21, 2017 16:20

Yes (though without any members from the 60s)
King Crimson (though with only Robert Fripp from the 60s)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 21, 2017 18:10

ZZ Top has already been mentioned, and as Billy Gibbons says in concert:

"We're the same three guys who play the same three chords" winking smiley

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 21, 2017 19:07

Silver Dagger
The mighty Flamin' Groovies.

thumbs up

Your YouTube link still worked; but is there anybody here who can recommend a good video download tool? Firefox's Downloadhelper doesn't do the trick here:

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks!

Did I overlook the Hollies here?
Show from last October in listenable audience quality on Dime:

[www.dimeadozen.org]

King Midas In Reverse
Can’t Let Go
Sorry Suzanne
Jennifer Eccles
On A Carousel
Gasoline Alley Bred
Listen To Me
Weakness
We’re Through
Priceless
I Can’t Tell The Bottom From The Top
Just One Look
Stay
Look Through Any Window

Introduction
Here I Go Again
Stop In The Name Of Love
Yes I Will
Bus Stop
I’m Alive
The Baby
Sandy (4th July Asbury Park)
Carrie Anne
Stop Stop Stop
He Ain’t Heavy He’s My Brother
The Air That I Breathe
Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress

Not my recording or upload!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-21 19:36 by Rank Stranger.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: January 21, 2017 19:12

So for that Hollies show if you snuck in at the end what have you really missed?

Date: January 21, 2017 19:21

I would dispute claiming the Beach Boys in this list. The only remaining original member is Mike Love. Bruce Johnston, while joining them in the 60's, was a replacement for Brian Wilson. Ironically, Brian Wilson's band has more original members than does the Beach Boys, what with Brian, Al Jardine and occasionally David Marks.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: January 21, 2017 20:11

Is a band with one original member (or one member that joined sometime in the first five years of the band) still considered the original band?

This has come up in previous threads, but it is interesting to me the number of bands touring around now without one single original member.

I still go with the "Rule of Three, with Exceptions": if you have three original members, you are well within your rights to claim the name. Examples are the Rolling Stones, the Zombies, etc.

Some Exceptions:

If you have seen Ray and Dave Davies on the same stage, you have seen the Kinks. Doesn't really matter who the bass player and drummer was.

Steely Dan, same thing: Becker and Fagan.

You have seen the Beach Boys if there was at least ONE person on the stage with the last name of Wilson.

The Who is border line, but with both Roger and Pete, OK, I'll go with that to a certain point. However, I really have not wanted to see them since Entwistle died.

I'm sure there are others.

So, looking ahead to the future, using this same analogy:

Would the three members of Led Zeppelin touring be "Led Zeppelin?" Yes.

Would Paul and Ringo touring as "The Beatles" be genuine?

Diana Ross was obviously the big essential part of the Supremes, but when she tried to tour with two unknown singers and billed it as "The Supremes" with very expensive tickets, the tour didn't do so well.

Just rambling thoughts, what do you think?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 21, 2017 20:29

I couldn't take seriously a lot of the bands mentioned if they're doing the big hits and it's a different singer or other main person that originally really made the thing pop, chart and imortant to people's hearts. i could listen and be ready to enjoy but it's easy to get cynical about these drab recreations...
i appreciated the mention of a lot of solo people but wanted to stay with the thread title...there's a whole bunch of survivors who can and do still cut it I guess. Sam can still sing his ass off but Dave is gone and so on...
...but if we're gonna mention longetivity I'd have to say Dion. Dion Dimucci can still sing hard and soulful or sweet, with great facility; he's older than the hills and his mother is still alive somewhere near 100. point is he's a great writer; was a huge huge star with important hits that every Inasion band that knew it's stuff was very very familiar with and inspired by....

...he had important hits in '58 that still sound great and he can sing them better today. He does home vids with his own iphone on a stand in a Bronx deli sitting with member of the original Del Satins, same as most of his hits, and everyone has soul and can sing rings around several decades of pop stars and do. Dion has great facility and power, relatively recent Grammys for his folk acoustic blues; the man knows how to play; he was on that tour w Buddy Holly...he's never an embarassment, or you just sort of have to love him like u do Chuck or some other musician who once had a poetic, rhytmic genius or revolutionary power...u just wanna pay respect, have that emo moment and alla that, claim some presence, honor the artist w recognition; make the claim u saw the idol glow with your own eyes...

so i guess Dion originated in the 50's not the 60's which he owned until the Invasion, but continued always to have deals and original albums with cool covers and express himself as he grew...

the cat's 78 or something; in great shape, can play great and sing great and is still performing live. I don't know how many original first year members of the rock and roll hof (the first few years weren't so bad) are doing that.
Ray's still out there and important but Dion pre-dates him; Dion had hits 6 years before The Stones were around but always spoke even early on how he preferred them to the Beatles, tho John loved him and they were friends...

This is "what happned to rock" ; it never went away, quite yet...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MrBobMartini ()
Date: January 21, 2017 21:28

The Four Tops and The Temptations are both still active, though both groups only have one original member.

Date: January 21, 2017 21:46

I'll stick to two great guitarists still performing on top level:

Jeff Beck and John McLaughlin, both in their 7-tees.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 21, 2017 22:12

MOONGOOSE:
In view of your earlier comments do you feel Fleetwood Mac should be in the list?
Drummer and bass player only remain.
Having said that the group's name is an amalgam of their surnames which may count for something!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 21, 2017 22:21

Still together - of sorts -

Electric Prunes
The Seeds - came together for a few shows
Amon Duul
The Temptations (I think only one original member)

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: January 21, 2017 23:23

jlowe
MOONGOOSE:
In view of your earlier comments do you feel Fleetwood Mac should be in the list?
Having said that the group's name is an amalgam of their surnames which may count for something!

Good point, jlowe, which I would say fits the "exception" rule.

Bottom line, though, I take issue with bands like Blood, Sweat & Tears (currently touring with American Idol singer Bo Bice), with not even ONE original member in the lineup, going out and billing themselves that way.

What do you think?

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 21, 2017 23:38

Mongoose
jlowe
MOONGOOSE:

Bottom line, though, I take issue with bands like Blood, Sweat & Tears (currently touring with American Idol singer Bo Bice), with not even ONE original member in the lineup, going out and billing themselves that way.

What do you think?

If there's no original members, it ain't Blood, Sweat and Tears. Sadly, they probably sell a lot of tickets to people who don't know or care. Is Mick Jones' Foreigner really Foreigner? He's the only one left. Not that they're from the 60's..Not that I care about them...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 21, 2017 23:52

The Isley Brothers - only two original members left: Ronald and Ernie Isley.
But they are key members - lead singer and lead guitar player respectively.
I'd say it's legitimate! thumbs up

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: January 21, 2017 23:58

Don't shoot me for this one but Chicago has been around since 1967. Recent biopic says they've done over 100 shows per year since then with only a couple of members opting out...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 22, 2017 00:23

Mongoose
jlowe
MOONGOOSE:

What do you think?

I would say that BST as described are basically a tribute band.

Date: January 22, 2017 00:37

jlowe
Mongoose
jlowe
MOONGOOSE:

What do you think?

I would say that BST as described are basically a tribute band.

That rules out almost every 6-tees band basically. Better stick to one musician.smiling smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 22, 2017 00:51

Hairball
The Isley Brothers - only two original members left: Ronald and Ernie Isley.
But they are key members - lead singer and lead guitar player respectively.
I'd say it's legitimate! thumbs up

Chambers Brothers too. Oh what a grisly story behind them but they've got the original main two guys and do rock it out pretty credibly imo.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 22, 2017 05:48

Mongoose, I like your definitions.
Couple things I'd say are that the members of Zeppelin didn't feel they could still be the band without Bonham. The fans would have accepted them, though.
The Beatles needed all four, as they were packaged that way from the beginning and each made significant contributions.
I think of the Who the same way. They're still the Who with Roger and Pete, but not the same.
One thing in the Stones' favor is that Ronnie seemed like a real Stone right from the start. He looked the part and he played a big role in Some Girls. In other bands the replacements seem like session men -- come to think of it, sort of like Darryl Jones is now.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 22, 2017 06:44

Mongoose
jlowe
MOONGOOSE:

What do you think?

Maybe because they have horns they're like the Count Basie Orchestra--still touring and recording years after the leader passed away.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 22, 2017 16:58

hopkins

...but if we're gonna mention longetivity I'd have to say Dion. Dion Dimucci can still sing hard and soulful or sweet, with great facility; he's older than the hills and his mother is still alive somewhere near 100. point is he's a great writer; was a huge huge star with important hits that every Inasion band that knew it's stuff was very very familiar with and inspired by....

...he had important hits in '58 that still sound great and he can sing them better today. He does home vids with his own iphone on a stand in a Bronx deli sitting with member of the original Del Satins, same as most of his hits, and everyone has soul and can sing rings around several decades of pop stars and do. Dion has great facility and power, relatively recent Grammys for his folk acoustic blues; the man knows how to play; he was on that tour w Buddy Holly...he's never an embarassment, or you just sort of have to love him like u do Chuck or some other musician who once had a poetic, rhytmic genius or revolutionary power...u just wanna pay respect, have that emo moment and alla that, claim some presence, honor the artist w recognition; make the claim u saw the idol glow with your own eyes...

so i guess Dion originated in the 50's not the 60's which he owned until the Invasion, but continued always to have deals and original albums with cool covers and express himself as he grew...

the cat's 78 or something; in great shape, can play great and sing great and is still performing live. I don't know how many original first year members of the rock and roll hof (the first few years weren't so bad) are doing that.
Ray's still out there and important but Dion pre-dates him; Dion had hits 6 years before The Stones were around but always spoke even early on how he preferred them to the Beatles, tho John loved him and they were friends...

You forgot to mention that Dion was on that freezing bus on the Winter Dance Party with Buddy Holly, too. Thanks for reminding us of one of the great voices of the 50s/60s, still going strong.

Date: January 22, 2017 17:03

HonkeyTonkFlash
Mongoose
jlowe
MOONGOOSE:

What do you think?

If there's no original members, it ain't Blood, Sweat and Tears. Sadly, they probably sell a lot of tickets to people who don't know or care. Is Mick Jones' Foreigner really Foreigner? He's the only one left. Not that they're from the 60's..Not that I care about them...

Not 60's, but Lynyrd Skynyrd. Most people would think of Gary Rossington as being the last original member but guitarist Rickey Medlocke drummed for them in the very early 70's before they hit it big. They had to contractually work it out with Ronnie Van Zant's widow once only three original members were left (not counting Medlocke) and when Billy Powell died, they almost were forced to change the name by Van Zant's widow because Rossington was the last one. There have occasions when no original members have performed as Skynyrd when Rossington has had health issues.

This band is just cursed, in my opinion. Even replacement members have died. Ean Evans, who replaced the late Leon Wilkeson, died of lung cancer in 2009. Hughie Thomasson, who replaced original member Ed King who had come back to replace Mike Estes who replaced Randall Hall who took Allen Collins' slot once they reformed, died in his sleep of a heart attack. Collins, who survived the plane crash, eventually passed due to complications from injuries suffered in a car crash. Original drummer Bob Burns died in a single car crash in 2015. He left them in the 70's. Rossington himself had a bad car crash that spawned the song That Smell. Ed King left the band twice, the second time after having heart issues. He wasn't allowed back after recovering, but eventually had a transplant.

If there is ever a last Skynyrd compilation, it should be called Car Wrecks, Heart Attacks and Plane Crashes, featuring Cancer, the death of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Date: January 22, 2017 17:10

tommyturbo76
Don't shoot me for this one but Chicago has been around since 1967. Recent biopic says they've done over 100 shows per year since then with only a couple of members opting out...

Not going to shoot you, but that's not quite true. Terry Kath didn't opt out, he died playing Russian Roulette. The band fired the original drummer, Danny Seraphine. Peter Cetera is the only original guy to leave the band outright.

The band's an enigma because all that remains is the three horn guys (and even one of them, Walter Parazaider, now takes time off due to health) and keyboardist Robert Lamm. Lamm and James Pankow, another horn guy, have done much of the writing for the band the entire time. That band has blown through more than a few replacement members over the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-22 18:54 by Long John Stoner.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 22, 2017 17:47

Not from the sixties, they were formed in 1971, but Dr. Feelgood are still recording and touring without a single original member.
[en.wikipedia.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-22 17:52 by Deltics.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 22, 2017 18:05

Deltics
Not from the sixties, they were formed in 1971, but Dr. Feelgood are still recording and touring without a single original member.
[en.wikipedia.org]

So can I post a band from 1992?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 22, 2017 18:07

The Association

The Cowsells

The Spencer Davis Group

The Turtles

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 22, 2017 18:24

Long John Stoner
Not going to shoot you, but that's not quite true. Terry Kath didn't opt out, he died playing Russian Roulette.
Wow...just read the back story on that...horrifying.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2185
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home