Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: 2017: 40th Anniversary El Mocambo
Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 1, 2017 14:10

Another vote for BOTH concerts in the vault series. Warts and all.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 1, 2017 15:45

Redhotcarpet
The arrest didnt stop him from using heroin - Mick did. Mick and the 1981 tour.

... and love. Patti was the main reason he quit. "Oh what a feeling it must be loooove!". Good for him! thumbs up I agree the "Toronto incident" probably saved his life.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: January 2, 2017 15:44

It;s hard to believe the band had been together about 13 years at that point. I guess What they were doing didn't have any historical implication in their minds just yet. Still, you would have thought that someone would have set up a camera to film it.

Date: January 2, 2017 15:48

palerider22
It;s hard to believe the band had been together about 13 years at that point. I guess What they were doing didn't have any historical implication in their minds just yet. Still, you would have thought that someone would have set up a camera to film it.

Almost 15 years.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 2, 2017 16:47

DandelionPowderman
palerider22

Almost 15 years.

Yep, almost 15 years and it never fails to amuse me when I recall how people were already saying how "old" they were, marveling at how long they had lasted and so forth. From todays's perspective of them touring in their 70's with 5 decades under their belt, that is pretty funny.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 2, 2017 18:20

HonkeyTonkFlash
Yep, almost 15 years and it never fails to amuse me when I recall how people were already saying how "old" they were, marveling at how long they had lasted and so forth. From todays's perspective of them touring in their 70's with 5 decades under their belt, that is pretty funny.

It's even more funny that already as early as 1973, a german music mag announced the 1973 European tour like this (translated): "The Last Time? Old rockers announce what could very likely be their final tour!" And by 1976, they were already regarded as "dinosaurs" by parts of the music press!

Date: January 2, 2017 19:36

retired_dog
HonkeyTonkFlash

It's even more funny that already as early as 1973, a german music mag announced the 1973 European tour like this (translated): "The Last Time? Old rockers announce what could very likely be their final tour!" And by 1976, they were already regarded as "dinosaurs" by parts of the music press!

Yep, and I also clearly recall various journalists insisting that 1981 would DEFINITELY be the last US Tour as the Glimmers were pushing 40 and the idea that men in their 40's might attempt to play rock music was INCOMPREHENSIBLE!! Ha Ha! How about men in their 70's! Stones are getting the last laughs now!

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: January 2, 2017 19:45

I think the From the Vault people from Eagle Rock read this board as we got many of our wishes.

Hopefully they will also read this wish and make it come true...

Date: January 3, 2017 18:20

retired_dog

Lol...I recall a conversation with a friend when we were thinking of getting tickets for a 1975 show in Toronto. He said, "We better go, they'll never be back again." I think we all had a 'life is over after 30 mentality' back then. The 'baby-boomers' it seems, have been responsible for a big change in attitudes...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 4, 2017 10:41

As Keith started (?) saying around the release of DW in 1986 “we're going where no one's been before, let's see how far we can take it" (paraphrasing). It seemed a bit odd at the time and was probably a reaction to Mick's infidelities, but he was right!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: January 4, 2017 12:29

gotdablouse
As Keith started (?) saying around the release of DW in 1986 “we're going where no one's been before, let's see how far we can take it" (paraphrasing). It seemed a bit odd at the time and was probably a reaction to Mick's infidelities, but he was right!

When he said that, I hoped he meant to keep going creatively and keep on making new and changing music. Well, that train has pretty much stopped but they have indeed taken it farther than anyone expected in terms of carrying on playing live. In 1977, who would have foreseen them planning a tour in 2017?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 4, 2017 15:12

HonkeyTonkFlash
retired_dog
HonkeyTonkFlash

Yep, and I also clearly recall various journalists insisting that 1981 would DEFINITELY be the last US Tour as the Glimmers were pushing 40 and the idea that men in their 40's might attempt to play rock music was INCOMPREHENSIBLE!! Ha Ha! How about men in their 70's! Stones are getting the last laughs now!

Well some folks think that it took a huge meteor strike to finish off the Dinosaurs .

...It'll probably take another to see this lot off grinning smiley.

I certainly wouldn't mind an El Mocambo release in the Vaults series.

Not sure about "warts n all" though .
"Warts" aren't a problem in a live show...they're gone in a flash...but I'm not sure we want to haer them over & over again via a recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-04 15:15 by Spud.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 4, 2017 15:30

El Mocambo is 100% the holy grail!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 4, 2017 22:33

Yes it is.

Date: January 4, 2017 23:39

LeonidP
El Mocambo is 100% the holy grail!

Date: January 5, 2017 16:43

I would love to read his book...and if anyone could get a hold of the El Mocambo tapes...

Producer Eddie Kramer Is Helping Restore The El Mocambo

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 5, 2017 20:21

gotdablouse

how did they go further than anyone had before? the band broke up in the mid-eighties and have been doing reunion tours for a quick cash grab ever since.they are no different than the beach boys or any other oldies act that do the hits for a payday.

the el mocambo shows were the beginning of the end for the stones,one of the last years that mick and keith could stand the sight of each other without being paid a few million to do it.
the some girls sessions that followed were the last gasp really,the last time the jagger/richards songwriting team actually worked together save for a bit of emotional rescue.after that years of disconnect and songs that never should have been released.thank god they stopped before they destroyed the legacy completely.

i would guess that the reason the show wasn't filmed was because they were a functioning band then,not looking at everything they did as a part of history to be preserved but just going full steam ahead.they were there to record so that's what they did,i can't imagine they won't doctor it up a bit and release it at some point.if they can bring the entire show to the level of love you live it would be a masterpiece.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 6, 2017 00:45

They tried to make records after that. I watched them recording at Ocean Way for Bridges to Babylon and it was a band playing together, jamming it out. Mick and Keith may not have been BFF's at that point, but who says that Miles and Coltrane were BFF's. Gilbert and Sullivan couldn't stand each other. The problem is that they haven't had the results, due in part to songwriting, due in part to production changes, cut in part to changing tastes.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 6, 2017 11:49

Apparently the tape of the first ElMo show could not be used as the recording was full of static noises and hisses. It was the second show that was used for Love You Live.

Mathijs

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 6, 2017 11:52

lem motlow
gotdablouse

how did they go further than anyone had before? the band broke up in the mid-eighties and have been doing reunion tours for a quick cash grab ever since.they are no different than the beach boys or any other oldies act that do the hits for a payday.

the el mocambo shows were the beginning of the end for the stones,one of the last years that mick and keith could stand the sight of each other without being paid a few million to do it.
the some girls sessions that followed were the last gasp really,the last time the jagger/richards songwriting team actually worked together save for a bit of emotional rescue.after that years of disconnect and songs that never should have been released.thank god they stopped before they destroyed the legacy completely.

i would guess that the reason the show wasn't filmed was because they were a functioning band then,not looking at everything they did as a part of history to be preserved but just going full steam ahead.they were there to record so that's what they did,i can't imagine they won't doctor it up a bit and release it at some point.if they can bring the entire show to the level of love you live it would be a masterpiece.

"how did they go further than anyone had before?"
KR was referring to band longevity.

Date: January 6, 2017 12:25

Mathijs
Apparently the tape of the first ElMo show could not be used as the recording was full of static noises and hisses.

Mathijs

Nothing a good audio pro software cannot fix now?

Date: January 7, 2017 04:30

Mathijs
Apparently the tape of the first ElMo show could not be used as the recording was full of static noises and hisses. It was the second show that was used for Love You Live.

Mathijs

I asked Eddie Kramer on his facebook page about the status of these 'lost tapes' and if they could ever see the light of day. Eddie is the producer/engineer who recorded the El Mocambo gigs and worked on them in the studio a few days later. And Eddie is involved in the present restoration of the El Mocambo...!!??

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 17, 2017 11:00

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the El Mocambo show, they could release a deluxe Love You Live which includes the full El Moc show plus a DVD of the Paris Aux Abattoirs show from 1976.

Date: January 17, 2017 11:45

palerider22
Mathijs

Mathijs

I asked Eddie Kramer on his facebook page about the status of these 'lost tapes' and if they could ever see the light of day. Eddie is the producer/engineer who recorded the El Mocambo gigs and worked on them in the studio a few days later. And Eddie is involved in the present restoration of the El Mocambo...!!??

Which restoration?

EDIT: Ah, the club! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-17 11:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: January 17, 2017 18:11

What About as a part of Mocambo'94 first's Darryl show, super deluxe edition, DVD+Cd, plus Elmo'77 second one + melody and star-star ...

what do you think??

Date: January 17, 2017 18:18

mariano
What About as a part of Mocambo'94 first's Darryl show, super deluxe edition, DVD+Cd, plus Elmo'77 second one + melody and star-star ...

what do you think??

The RPM Club, not El Mocambo?

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: January 17, 2017 18:28

Yep -

Date: January 17, 2017 21:49

mariano

what do you think??

These eras don't mix well and imo the RPM club was pretty bad.

Date: February 24, 2017 17:33

Just a couple of weeks away for the 40th. Looks like nothing special is in the works...but at least the the reopening of the club is happening....

Legendary El Mocambo set to re-open this summer

Date: February 24, 2017 17:58

Videojames are you receiving?

Please talk Mick into releasing a CD of the Mocambo shows as a bonus for the rumoured "Paris 76" dvd.
That would be sooooo nice...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home