Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: RIP Rick Parfitt of Status Quo
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 25, 2016 00:28

Very sad news.
RIP Rick.
Thanks for all.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 25, 2016 01:23

sad news, makes you wonder how fragile life is, to go because of some infection due to a minor injury when he wasnt that old.

loved pictures of matchstick men, great song by the quo.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 25, 2016 03:51

Bringing back lot of memories..............

The QUO really made me Rock, Roll 'n'Boogie 1972-1980

Been watching this on YouTube, had never seen it:

video: [youtu.be]

Original line up together after 30 years in Shepperton Studios 2011.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: December 25, 2016 05:45

very sad to hear....not surprised some here in North America never heard of them as they never caught on here and sadly never got any radio play.

I liked them in the 70's but lost track of them after that. One band I never got to see live as they never seemed to tour here in America Going to give the Quo's live album a spin on vinyl tomorrow in and hoist a drink in his honor.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 25, 2016 09:52

Rest in peace, Rick Parfitt.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 25, 2016 10:12

Sad, sad news, indeed. RIP Rick.

Date: December 25, 2016 12:07

Sad indeed, I saw the Quo several times over the years and the recent Frantic Four shows with the original line up were superb. Quo were much underrated and the perfect opening band for Live Aid with Rocking All Over The World.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: December 25, 2016 13:28

VERY sad news. Another part of my youth is gone.

I wasn't aware that Status Quo are so unknown in the US of A. In Europe they were one of the most successful bands of the 70's, with multiple Top 10 hits, constant radio airplay and TV appearances. They have sold 120 million albums, which is massive. Status Quo were really really huge in Europe back then. Same league as KISS and AC/DC.

RIP Rick Parfitt.

Re: O.T. Rick Parfitt passes away
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: December 25, 2016 13:52

grzegorz67
teleblaster
First band I saw headline at the legendary Glasgow Apollo was the Quo in the mid-seventies
. Great memories and an introduction to a lifestyle I still enjoy. Was good to see you, Rick.

I'm pretty sure the Quo were the final act to play the old Appollo too - in 1984? Are you a local?

Grew up about 40 miles from Glasgow and was still a schoolboy when I started seeing bands at the Apollo. Currently living in Glasgow, so, yes, I'm a local. Last show at The Apollo was apparently the Style Council, June 1985.

Re: O.T. Rick Parfitt passes away
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 26, 2016 03:52

teleblaster
grzegorz67
teleblaster
First band I saw headline at the legendary Glasgow Apollo was the Quo in the mid-seventies
. Great memories and an introduction to a lifestyle I still enjoy. Was good to see you, Rick.

I'm pretty sure the Quo were the final act to play the old Appollo too - in 1984? Are you a local?

Grew up about 40 miles from Glasgow and was still a schoolboy when I started seeing bands at the Apollo. Currently living in Glasgow, so, yes, I'm a local. Last show at The Apollo was apparently the Style Council, June 1985.

Thanks for the correction Teleblaster. The Style Council being of course Paul Weller's first project after the Jam. I'm originally from Hamilton but moved South with family aged 14 in 1981. I knew the Apollo was getting a bit ragged in its later days and large indoor concerts in Glasgow tended to be at the SECC from around '85, which itself has since been usurped by the Hydro. I saw the Stones in 2003 at the SECC but have yet to do the Hydro.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 26, 2016 08:58

Saw Quo on the end of the road tour in Glasgow 1984. RIP Rick.I Loved you.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: December 26, 2016 09:25

saw Status Quo a few months ago.. RIP Rick..

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 26, 2016 10:38

Rick Parfitt thank you for all the happy rock & roll you gave me.

Rest In Peace.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 26, 2016 15:12

Status Quo was the first concert i saw.I was 13 years old (1973), jaap eden hal, Amsterdam. It was a great show. never saw them again, but i still bear good memories of that gig, 43 years later.

rest in Peace , rick.
Jeroen

Date: December 26, 2016 15:17

corriecas
Status Quo was the first concert i saw.I was 13 years old (1973), jaap eden hal, Amsterdam. It was a great show. never saw them again, but i still bear good memories of that gig, 43 years later.

rest in Peace , rick.
Jeroen

Lucky you! smileys with beer

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: December 26, 2016 15:20

oldschool
very sad to hear....not surprised some here in North America never heard of them as they never caught on here and sadly never got any radio play.

I liked them in the 70's but lost track of them after that. One band I never got to see live as they never seemed to tour here in America Going to give the Quo's live album a spin on vinyl tomorrow in and hoist a drink in his honor.

Respect

Date: December 26, 2016 16:45

corriecas

rest in Peace , rick.
Jeroen

thumbs up
Status Quo was the first concert I saw also, but in 1976 in Ahoy Hal, Rotterdam, aged 12.
Saw them in 1978 and 1979 also in the Jaap Eden hal, Amsterdam. Then never again.
Status Quo was my number 1 band until I discovered the Stones from 1978 onwards.

Date: December 28, 2016 00:09

Date: December 28, 2016 02:51

Rick's life in pictures (from The Guardian):

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 28, 2016 05:37

I don't know if they ever really broke through in the states. I will admit to not being very familiar with his music at all. Looks like another nice person who has died this year. God bless his family.

Date: December 28, 2016 09:58

Socrates1
I don't know if they ever really broke through in the states. I will admit to not being very familiar with his music at all. Looks like another nice person who has died this year. God bless his family.

Check out Big Fat Mama on YouTube for his voice and chops. My favourite Status Quo- number.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 28, 2016 10:14

Big Fat Mama is a great example; Quo made such wonderful albums in the 70s it is amazing they never broke the States. Hooks and melodies, all ontop of that great twin guitar sound - Rossi with his brilliant soloing, and Parfitt with his swaggering Johnny Ramone style downstrokes. They really were something.

To this day a fantastic live act, the albums even were good the past 12 years. Mainly though its the run of classics 1970 to 1976 which forms the essential Quo.

Saw them 14 times, met Rick and Francis; sad I will never witness them again. One of THE great rock acts.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: December 28, 2016 12:04

Good post IC4.

RIP Rick.

Date: December 28, 2016 12:45

Cheers Phil, great to see so many with kind words for Parfitt and Quo. Underrated is a word so many of the pieces written over the last few days allude to, and is is very true. Quo will only be appreciated once they are gone; that great back catalogue will be revisited and reappraised.

On one hand I can see why they are so written off; they went from one of the UKs premier rock acts in the 70s to light entertainers over the last quarter century. Zero credibility except to those that loved them. The output declined seriously from mid eighties to early 2000s though they did remain a serious live draw. The albums got better from 2002 onwards, and the press did begin even in small part to realise how good they were. The Frantic Four reunion in 2013/2014 was a revelation - this was not the family entertainment Quo but the hard hitting, swaggering and roaring Quo. It had been fogotten but the FF were the Ramones, the MC5, even a touch of the stooges. Listen to 1972s classic 'Piledriver' for instance; what a glorious noise.

To quote Lars Ulrich in 2005, a huge fan himself, "Quo are king sh*t"; in his parlance meaning they were something special, namedropping the Big 5 from 1972-1976; classic British rock albums made by an unfashionable but essential, visceral act.

Date: December 28, 2016 13:05

Don't forget Dog Of Two Head! My favourite thumbs up

Date: December 28, 2016 13:13

The Dog album; great call Dande! Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon & Dog of Two Head for me are part of that essential era. I remember hearing 'Umleitung' for first time when discovering Quo, at the time only knowing later hits, and was blown away. 'Gerdundula' another top favourite. And of course, 'Mean Girl' - they reintroduced this to the set in 2008 and it was absolutely mighty!!

Date: December 28, 2016 13:29

Yeah, Ma Kelly is fantastic as well. April, Spring, Summer or Wednesdays rocked hard on the FF comeback. Great stuff.

I covered Umleitung with my band in 1990. Lazy Poker Blues as well. And eventually Big Fat Mama - good times smiling smiley

Posted by: Freebird1959 ()
Date: December 28, 2016 23:46

I saw the original QUO : Frantic Tour 2014 IJsselhallen Zwolle zondag, 23 maart 2014
Great show! And twice I believe at The Arrow Rock Festivals in Lichtenvoorde, The Netherlands. That such a stupid accidents can kill you!
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Freebird1959 ()
Date: December 28, 2016 23:50

Date: December 29, 2016 01:00

Big Fat Mama 1974

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2113
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home