Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Skip James & Stones' Blues
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 17, 2016 12:06

Just a random thought while listening Skip James and Blue & Lonesome.
Stones might have had a similar song in their catalogue with Skip's Cherry Ball Blues?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-20 01:02 by Toru A.

Re: Skip James & Stones' Blues
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 17, 2016 16:43

I speculated elsewhere that the Stones have tried to evoke the eeriness of James music on a few tracks such as Morphine and Blood Red Wine. Cherry Ball would've been an interesting Stones cover or even Crow Jane but as a team I don't believe the Stones could recreate Skip as effectively as they did Chuck or Muddy...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2016 22:30

Devil Got My Woman or Cypress Grove Blues --- ooowww babeeee I defy any man ta take either of those on .....

But Mick & Stu tagether coulda hammered out a great If You Haven't Any Hay Get On Down The Road ................think Petrol Blues

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: December 17, 2016 23:29

I recently had a bunch of Stones tunes on random play and When Your'e Gone came on. For a few seconds I thought it was track from B&L. Then I had to go look at the album to make sure it was a Jagger/Richards/Wood composition. Anyway, seems they could make that December 2015 B&L sound back in the 70s when they felt like it.

HBK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-17 23:49 by HouseBoyKnows.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 20, 2016 01:15

HouseBoyKnows
I recently had a bunch of Stones tunes on random play and When Your'e Gone came on. For a few seconds I thought it was track from B&L. Then I had to go look at the album to make sure it was a Jagger/Richards/Wood composition. Anyway, seems they could make that December 2015 B&L sound back in the 70s when they felt like it.

HBK

When Your'e Gone. What a great blues song! I completely forgot about it.
Petrol Blues smells Lou Reed.smiling smiley I like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-20 01:22 by Toru A.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: December 20, 2016 03:09

Munichhilton
I don't believe the Stones could recreate Skip as effectively as they did Chuck or Muddy...

This guy could, though!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 20, 2016 07:38

Milan
Munichhilton
I don't believe the Stones could recreate Skip as effectively as they did Chuck or Muddy...

This guy could, though!

Good call.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 20, 2016 17:15

Rockman
Devil Got My Woman or Cypress Grove Blues --- ooowww babeeee I defy any man ta take either of those on .....

But Mick & Stu tagether coulda hammered out a great If You Haven't Any Hay Get On Down The Road ................think Petrol Blues

Good thing you only defied "men"... Although she's not Skip, I think Bonnie does a pretty decent job on Devil Got My Woman

From "The Soul of Man" Movie (segues into Skip's Version):
[www.youtube.com]

Longer (possibly same) version:
[www.youtube.com]

Interesting to poke around youtube looking for versions of Cypress Road Blues... DO NOT WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO of Eric Clapton & Ed Sheeran playing Cypress Road Blues. I lasted about 20 seconds and can safely say that I don't want to ever click that link again. I only lasted 40 seconds into the studio version. The Doc & Merle Watson live version isn't bad. Daniel Eriksen's version is interesting. Apparently, thankfully, and I think rightfully so, people seem to agree with your theory that men don't need to try their had at that one.

Skip's the man!
[www.youtube.com]

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 21, 2016 17:12

Wry Cooter
Milan
Munichhilton

This guy could, though!

Good call.

Excellent guitar but he can't sing...skips singing was as eerie as his detuned guitar notes

Date: December 21, 2016 17:38

Munichhilton
Excellent guitar but he can't sing...

Huh? Don't think so... [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 21, 2016 18:22

Milan
Munichhilton
Excellent guitar but he can't sing...

Huh? Don't think so... [www.youtube.com]

Ooops. My bad. I thought that was a young Ry Cooder...

Date: December 21, 2016 22:40

No prob, my friend. It is, of course, the late great Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson (1943-1970).

This is off-topic now, but does anyone know what song is Alan singing here? Is it some old song, or one of his own compositions?
The Youtube uploader (Russ Montney) died in 2010... he had all sorts of rare home tapes and demos of Alan. Really love this one.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 21, 2016 23:08

No mr_dja... nobody can touch those songs man or woman ... they are sacred masterpieces... Skip James sang from the soul ....... a very tortured soul

ROCKMAN

Date: December 21, 2016 23:09

Milan
No prob, my friend. It is, of course, the late great Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson (1943-1970).

This is off-topic now, but does anyone know what song is Alan singing here? Is it some old song, or one of his own compositions?
The Youtube uploader (Russ Montney) died in 2010... he had all sorts of rare home tapes and demos of Alan. Really love this one.

[www.youtube.com]

Cool tune. Although I wouldn't want you to quote me on it, based on what I can tell after listening to the tune and doing a few different internet searches, it seems that the "Leaving Today Sho Gon Ride Those Blinds" song is an Alan Wilson original.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 21, 2016 23:12

Thanks man.

smileys with beer

Date: December 21, 2016 23:14

.... Skip's finger-picking on I'm So Glad 1931 is just stunning ... cant be improved on ..

ROCKMAN

Date: December 21, 2016 23:22

ROCKMAN

Date: December 21, 2016 23:37

Rockman
No mr_dja... nobody can touch those songs man or woman ... they are sacred masterpieces... Skip James sang from the soul ....... a very tortured soul

I'll agree to disagree only because of my not liking absolutesspinning smiley sticking its tongue out! I actually don't believe my own point of view enough to even attempt to debate it. The final three lines of your post I wholeheartedly agree with. Skip James is one of the few artists that I could think of (the only one off the top of my head) that I would predict that I would ALWAYS prefer his original to someone's cover version. The Bonnie Raitt version I linked to is probably the only cover version of one of his tunes that I would put on a list of versions "in addition to" his original versions. I might be convinced to include Cream's version of "I'm So Glad" but every time I hear their version, I just want to hear Skip's.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 21, 2016 23:39

I dig ya man ...

ROCKMAN

Date: December 22, 2016 00:07

Thanks for sharing that Newport version of "Devil", Rockman. As much as I like listening to Skip, it's always fun to see him play as well!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 22, 2016 00:07

pleasure ...pleasure ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 22, 2016 06:12

Rockman

I very much agree with that, Skip James is almost untouchable. Though Jo-Ann Kelly made some nice attempts with Stefan Grossman:

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-22 13:55 by z.

Date: December 22, 2016 15:59

Thanks for sharing those links z. Nice attempts indeed. I'm gonna have to check me out some Jo-Ann Kelly. Don't know that I'm familiar with her. She's definitely got traces of Skip's voice in hers and does well interpreting his phrasing.

Two others that I just thought of who might be able to get close to Skip if they tried: John Hammond & Rory Block. Anybody know if they ever attempted a Skip James cover? I know that John's voice is nothing like Skip's but, at the same time, due to his respect for the genre and his abilities to convey emotion, he may just be able to get closer than most. Similar thoughts with Rory. Although I'm not as familiar with her voice as I should be (to be introducing the thought here), I know she's got a huge affinity & respect for the genre. She'd probably be one (along with Hammond) who, if she couldn't do it right, wouldn't do it at all.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 22, 2016 16:32

Jack Owens from Bentonia - Yazoo County Mississippi
close friend of Skip James and similar intricate guitar style
.... loneliness in the lyrics

ROCKMAN

Date: December 22, 2016 16:58

Nice, Rockman. Nice.

I guess if anyone is able to do a worthy cover of Skip, it's probably going to be an associate, right?

[www.youtube.com]

I could listen to this stuff all day.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 22, 2016 17:34

Beck does a nice version of Devil Got My Woman...guitar is spot on. Again though the voice is the problem. You can hear the admiration Beck has for James in his singing and that should've been well hidden.

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 22, 2016 18:48

Both Jack Owens and Skip James had learnt the cross-note tuning (Open Em) from Henry Stuckey in Bentonia.

Date: December 22, 2016 21:55

yes z ... have read that but Stuckey never made any recordings ..

ROCKMAN

Date: December 22, 2016 22:27

Rockman
yes z ... have read that but Stuckey never made any recordings ..

When I read z's post earlier, my first though was along the lines of, 'how cool would it be if there were recordings of Stuckey to compare Skip and Owens to.' Obviously they are similar to each other, but it would be truly interesting to see how far "the apples fell from the tree" so to speak.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 22, 2016 23:15

I could listen to this stuff all day.

Nice album if you can still find it .... with Bentonia guys ...
Cornelius Bright and Jack Owens .....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home