Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Worst Fake Concert Poster Ever Seen
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 23, 2016 00:30

I've seen some really bad fakes, but this is ridiculous..

[www.ebay.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 00:52 by tatters.

Re: OT: Worst Example Of A Fake Concert Poster Ever Seen
Date: November 23, 2016 00:34

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why this poster could not possibly be real?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 23, 2016 00:52

It looks like a fake indeed, but I'm just guessing: they didn't played on that date?

Re: OT: Worst Fake Concert Poster Ever Seen
Date: November 23, 2016 00:54

For starters, Lindsey and Stevie are in the photo .... five years before they joined Fleetwood Mac.

Date: November 23, 2016 00:56

Also, Fleetwood Mac weren't that big a deal in the United States in 1970. CSNY, on the other hand, were superstars, and would never have been given 3rd billing.

Date: November 23, 2016 01:01

As if that isn't enough, Eric Clapton is the opening act! He was already a legend in 1970, and never opened for anyone! I haven't bothered to research whether or not there even is a Palace Theater in Nashville, but if a concert like this ever took place, it certainly wouldn't have been in a theater. It would have been in a stadium or at a festival.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 01:03 by tatters.

Date: November 23, 2016 01:07

Okay. Here's one that's even more ridiculous. See how many mistakes you can spot that give this one away as a fake.

[www.ebay.com]

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 23, 2016 01:19

Back to Mac ...

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 23, 2016 01:20

tatters
Okay. Here's one that's even more ridiculous. See how many mistakes you can spot that give this one away as a fake.

[www.ebay.com]

Just off the top of my head, the Beatles weren't touring the US in October '65...and, being a college basketball fan, it's the Crisler Arena (not Chrysler) in Ann Arbor (not Detroit), and I don't think Crisler was even open yet in '65!

I've seen a lot of these at local swap meets...Beatles and Zeppelin on the same bill, venues that were either long gone or didn't exist yet, dates that made no sense, etc.

Date: November 23, 2016 01:30

Jah Paul
tatters

[www.ebay.com]

Just off the top of my head, the Beatles weren't touring the US in October '65...and, being a college basketball fan, it's the Crisler Arena (not Chrysler) in Ann Arbor (not Detroit), and I don't think Crisler was even open yet in '65!

I've seen a lot of these at local swap meets...Beatles and Zeppelin on the same bill, venues that were either long gone or didn't exist yet, dates that made no sense, etc.

Yep, they were in the studio, recording Rubber Soul. They toured America in August of that year, but they did not come to Detroit in 1965. And you're right, Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor wasn't built until 1967, and it wasn't called Crisler Arena until 1970.

Date: November 23, 2016 01:35

shortfatfanny
Back to Mac ...

Does everyone see how hilariously absurd this is? CSNY and BS&T both had #1 albums in the United States in 1970. Fleetwood Mac's highest charting U.S. album peaked at #69.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 01:59 by tatters.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 23, 2016 01:40

shortfatfanny
Back to Mac ...

On November 20, 1970 I saw Derek and the Dominoes at the Santa Monica Civic. Clapton wasn't doing solo shows at the time...
...and I saw CSN&Y towards the end of 1969 at a sold out arena show (Pauly Pavilion, UCLA)

Date: November 23, 2016 02:26

And, after the briefest bit of research, it appears the Palace Theater (not in Nashville, but nearby Gallatin) is a MOVIE theater...would have been a heck of a place to see all those bands!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 23, 2016 05:50

Re: all of them, I thought that the year was not usually included in poster dates in that era, and that this is usually done to make it obviously "vintage" and also the easiest sign to spot a fake. Plus all that other stuff y'all said.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: November 23, 2016 07:01

But it's also on sale at Amoeba - must be real !

[www.amoeba.com]

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 23, 2016 09:01

There is no listing for a CSNY show on that date.

[www.sugarmtn.org]

Fake.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: November 23, 2016 13:33

mosthigh
There is no listing for a CSNY show on that date.

[www.sugarmtn.org]

Fake.
Yeah...but both sure sell a lot of them....

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 23, 2016 14:48

All kinds of things wrong with this one.

Sold for $40!
[www.ebay.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 23, 2016 15:41

I have one for the Stones at "River Front" (s/be Riverfront) stadium in Cincinnati in 1969 "with special guest Joe Cocker." The photo was from the Sticky Fingers inner sleeve.

It was given to me by some poor woman who (upon the recommendation of a local record store owner who knew my Stones and poster expertise) traveled an hour to show it to me.

The Stones didn't play Cincy in '69 either.

Date: November 23, 2016 16:19

Deltics

Sold for $40!
[www.ebay.com]

For starters, the word "The" is in a type font that still hadn't been invented in 1965.

Date: November 23, 2016 19:16

rbk
I have one for the Stones at "River Front" (s/be Riverfront) stadium in Cincinnati in 1969 "with special guest Joe Cocker." The photo was from the Sticky Fingers inner sleeve.

It was given to me by some poor woman who (upon the recommendation of a local record store owner who knew my Stones and poster expertise) traveled an hour to show it to me.

And Riverfront didn't open until June 1970!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 23, 2016 21:54

Jah Paul
rbk

And Riverfront didn't open until June 1970!

THAT I didn't know.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 23, 2016 22:27

tatters

For starters, the word "The" is in a type font that still hadn't been invented in 1965.

as discussed here... The typeface for "The" is Bookman Medium Italic with Swash designed by Ed Benguiat in the mid-seventies...

Around the time that the Rolling Stones invented Black And Blue.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: November 23, 2016 22:35

tatters
Deltics

Sold for $40!
[www.ebay.com]

Bobby Goldsboro?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 23, 2016 22:41

reg thorpe

Bobby Goldsboro?

It did happen!
In 1964.

The Rolling Stones Underwhelm Danceland

On June 17, 1964, the Rolling Stones on their nine-date first U.S. tour headlined at Danceland appearing with Bobby Goldsboro, the Pixies 3, and Patti and Emblems. At the time the Stones were a little known up-and-coming act who had released a cover of Buddy Holly’s "Not Fade Away” that peaked at #48 on the charts and who had been sneered at by Dean Martin when they appear on his television show. George Bondar took the word of a concert promoter that they were next big thing and booked them for about $500. Station KQV promoted the show on air, but there was no mentioned of the Stones in the Pittsburgh newspapers. Tickets were only $1.50 but some people were let for free to try to fill the room. Only 400 people attended. The Stone performed one 20 minute set opening with a cover of "Hi Heel Sneakers" before playing blues covers from their album "England's Newest Hit Makers.” The music was raw. The dance crowd who were fans of oldies and R&B weren’t very receptive the British Invasion sound. Pittsburgh music historian Dave Goodwich who attended the show told the Pittsburgh Post Gazette "Here's a British band trying to do blues. Kids were looking at them, like, 'What the hell's this?”
[sites.google.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 22:44 by Deltics.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 24, 2016 00:58

If you scan the eBay listing carefully it does indicate reproduction but it's
easily missed and is very misleading. Once you are used to the way vintage concert posters actually look like you can easily spot these fakes. However,
others are much more difficult. As Sometorontogirl posted, printing the year
on the poster is a sign of a fake but there are exceptions. I wish eBay would
Put some effort into monitoring their listings but that is just is not in their
business model. I have seen Rolling Stones altamont posters with photos of Mick
from the 70s claiming to be authentic and discovered in a attic etc. Unfortunate
this is allowed to continue as this is just one of thousands of fakes sold
on eBay.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 24, 2016 01:20

Almost funny...

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: November 25, 2016 01:42

tatters
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why this poster could not possibly be real?

Well, for starters, the date says 1970 and the photo of the Mac shows Stevie Nicks, et al, who hadn't yet joined at that point...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: November 25, 2016 01:53

This is all very funny and kind of depressing at the same time...

but if suckers wanna buy em...
and there is one born every minute- David Hannum

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: November 25, 2016 02:15

swimtothemoon
If you scan the eBay listing carefully it does indicate reproduction but it's
easily missed and is very misleading. Once you are used to the way vintage concert posters actually look like you can easily spot these fakes. However,
others are much more difficult. As Sometorontogirl posted, printing the year
on the poster is a sign of a fake but there are exceptions. I wish eBay would
Put some effort into monitoring their listings but that is just is not in their
business model.
I have seen Rolling Stones altamont posters with photos of Mick
from the 70s claiming to be authentic and discovered in a attic etc. Unfortunate
this is allowed to continue as this is just one of thousands of fakes sold
on eBay.
I wish eBay would Put some effort into monitoring their listings

Me too man, me too...
but as I learned the hard way,
ebays sins run much deeper including much worse than this. It is disgusting.

But still, I use ebay to both buy and sell and I am braced at any minute for the ice I am skating on to collapse. The only thing one can do is understand the body of water and make sure one stays on the part of the ice that is only 1-2 feet deep so when the ice cracks and one falls in the damage is limited.

The trick is getting enough benefit from the ice skating that it makes plunging into the frigid water worth it. But if/when anyone starts dreams that someone on shore will be there to help them... ebay could not care less. They are there for the 10% fees. period.

The number of scams on ebay is infinite.

With that said...
How much is a poster signed by Jimi Hendrix at his 1972 Denver show in McNichols Sports Arena worth?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1571
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home