Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Why is the set list not changing?
Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: September 1, 2005 21:41

2 real stories.
First one in Cleveland last tour.
There was a guy next to me, the kind wood-cutter just lefting his pick up outside the arena, wearing a cap, 60 years old looking a little bit like an old "beach boy". When the Stones begins CYHMK, the guy throw his cap "yuppie".
I thought he's gonna shoot his cap with a colt.
I couldn't believe the guy knew the song

In Toronto (ACC) during the Let it bleed spot, Mick, in the dark, begins to mime a monkey and the woman next to me : 45, beautiful dress, jewels, unreal breast shouts : Monkey man!!! She guessed the song.

My Conclusions : in the US and Canada, most of the audience know more than 15 warhorses and when the Stones are on the stage moving to the point B, they can play anything (instead MY) : it would be a blast, even in a stadium.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: September 1, 2005 23:21

Bjornulf, do you get paid to say this? Cos changing a setlist with 5 songs isn't a crime, it's just normal to do for band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-01 23:24 by Rik.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 2, 2005 06:21

retired_dog nails it with his JJF observation. Nice post.

JJF is one of about a half dozen canonized songs that don't have to be on the list for every show. You could swap our two of them everynight and introduce some less familiar live material. Within 12 shows it wouldn't even be an issue, it'd be the way to see the Stones.

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: September 2, 2005 08:44

If you change the show with 5 songs each night, it will keep it interesting for the band and for the fans.

They are no robots repeating the same act over and over again.
Although sometimes I think ther're going to look like it if they're not going to change the setlist

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: September 2, 2005 16:47

I agree with Jimmie's take on this topic and I think at various times I've said about the same thing; Die-hards should be considered as well as " virgins" and it really would NOT be that much of a stretch to play 5 different songs each show. In Hartford, at least they DID change it up and added 3 different songs and moved around a few of the warhorses. I feel I'm settling still when I hear the same 15 songs each time; because I want to see multiple shows I should be happy just to be there??? NOT! I saved for 3 years to go to a number of Stones shows this tour and YES, that's entirely my choice but knowing the talent that this band possesses, I expect alot! This is NOT whining because believe me, I recognize how blessed we are to have them on tour; I just go into every show like a kid on Christmas Eve, anticipating the wonders awaiting me! A NEW SET LIST! I am not hard to please because I love this band and for me, they are a way of life. I just want to be SURPRISED!

Date: September 2, 2005 16:52

They have only played 5 shows.
Damn some people just cannot be made happy!!

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 2, 2005 16:57

Donkey Girl Scout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They have only played 5 shows.
> Damn some people just cannot be made happy!!

Paying $300 for a ticket, you want to get your money's worth. Not the same tour over again. Damn right some people will be pissed of with another version of You Got Me Rocking for the 5th tour in a row. There were a few groans and boos from what I hear when they break into this song.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 2, 2005 17:05

I'd say that it's important to US, the die-hards, that it changes. But the Stones know better than to change it for the 10.000 die-hards that exists. I don't think we're more than that. If they play to, let's say, a million people on a whole world tour, how many are die-hards??? Maybe 1 or 2 percent of the audience MAX.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 2, 2005 17:28

depends on your definition of 'die hard' doesnt it??

Either way, I'd say you're underestimating that figure by some distance

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 2, 2005 17:29

Really? Well, what would you're take on it be?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 2, 2005 18:23

I dont know, but from audiences I've been part of its significantly more than that

You're saying 1% of an average audience - so, in a venue like Madison Square Garden for example, that equates to only 200 people in a 20,000 seat arena. I dont think so, somehow.

For starters, youd even get more people than that coming from overseas to such a show (I think thats a pretty solid definition of 'diehard') and that doesnt even account for similar type of fans in that city and elsewhere in the US who would think nothing of commuting to concerts

and with cheaper airfares now, its a lot easier to go to multiple shows (even if the escalating ticket prices dont help) and more commonplace. See Chippy's post (I think its in this thread) where he did a voxpop on the people around him in the onstage boxes at the Hartford show....most of them had been to 20 shows or more.

For most people, paying a couple of hundred dollars (or double that) to go to a rock concert is a lot to ask. I would say that there are more people in any audience who do that because they are big fans of the band than there are of the sort of people who dont care much about the band and think its a drop in the ocean

Like I said, a lot depends on your definition of 'diehard'...

and if (to quote your figure as an example) theres only 10,000 'diehards' out of a total audience on a tour of one million, thats actually NOT 1% of the total audience for the tour - because said 'diehards' are not going to be only attending one show. If 10,000 'diehards' attend (lets say) on average ten shows each then thats 100,000 tickets out of 1 million - ie, 10% of the total audience for the tour, not 1%

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-03 03:19 by Gazza.

Posted by: pop ()
Date: September 2, 2005 18:35

didnt rs.com ask for suggestions as far as set lists
concern??
They really pulling our leg.
stones are not u2. they have been on the road for 40 years.
beside cities the didnt show up ever or for a while
everybody have seen them at least once.
at least if they could change the version of theses songs:
smu htw bs iorr ygm ;;;;
its get to a point than you can listen to ymr live witout being able to say
if it is from vl 94/95 bb98 ns 99 lt 2005/2003
ridiculous.
cheers everyone

Posted by: orange cow ()
Date: September 2, 2005 18:37

sounds like a bunch of old fat office women picked that set-list

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 2, 2005 18:38

In the parking lot of Hartford I heard many people blasting all kinds bootlegs, I was impressed. There are more diehard fans than you think.

Date: September 2, 2005 18:48

Correct. The Stones are up there as one of the most bootlegged artists in history (over 3,000 titles!)

Theres obviously a substantial 'diehard' market thats large enough to keep that industry going (even in this day and age where shows are more readily available for free) and despite the fact that many collectors (myself included) never actually BUY bootlegs and just trade and download stuff instead

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: September 2, 2005 19:19

I agree with Gazza on one comment he made before. As far as there are many "virgin audience" in any Stones concert (who only knows Satisfaction, JJF, Start Me Up and Brown Sugar), a huge portion of that audience is relatively familiar with any number from certain albums. I don't believe any track from Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, Tattoo You or Let It Bleed would be considered "obscure" to a huge portion of the audience: maybe they can't recall the title, but they somewhat know the song... So why not playing Faraway Eyes, Dead Flowers, Slave and songs like that instead a certain warhorse (and not as an obscure song)? Faraway Eyes instead Miss You, Slave instead Start Me Up, All Down The Line instead TD, things like that...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 2, 2005 19:24

told you once and i told you twice:

'cos they're lazy bastards. no other reasonable expectation holds water. you may not want to admit it - which is cool - we all love the lads. but they are just being plain lazy (so far) on this tour.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 3023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home